The Walking Dead- Comic & TV comparisons

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • bigshot316 17 Nov 2010 08:44:43 23,845 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just created this so that people who have read the Comics can discuss the comparisons and upcoming stories without maybe spoiling it for those who haven't.

I'm enjoying the series a great deal so far, though I haven't seen Ep. 3 yet.

I'm pleased that so far they haven't shied away from the graphic content of the comics, and I'm wondering how close to the bone they dare go; as in will they actually show decapitated children, cannibalism, execution via Katana and of course the whole Michonne rape/Governer torture scenes?

Eyeball on a spoon anyone?!

I especially hope they get Michonne right and allow her to run rampant with the Ninja Sword as only she can; limbs and heads flying everywhere!

I was dubious about the choice of Andrew Lincoln as Rick, as I couldn't get the Human traffic/This Life/Teachers kind of character out of my head but he is really growing on me already.

Anyway, are you happy with the way it has been imagined so far?
  • moriss 17 Nov 2010 09:48:44 588 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    so this thread is "name gory bits from the co mic and speculate if theyll be in the show"?

:)

• Vice.Destroyer 17 Nov 2010 09:56:13 5,841 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In regards to rape and torture scene, I think that Oz has raised the bar on that to a fairly high level. I think any higher than that, and the show may just get banned.

I don't think that there is no need to see a castration on the small screen just yet.
  • bigshot316 17 Nov 2010 10:00:00 23,845 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lolz!
    It may sound that way, but also we can discuss important things such as the rate of Ricks beard growth in correlation to the comics.
  • Buztafen 17 Nov 2010 10:19:39 16,268 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Im extremely happy with how its going so far but im quite easily pleased...throw together some zombies, good acting, high production values, buckets of gore and girls in tight jeans and i'll be there week in week out. But this feels a bit special to me. It had me well and truly hooked from the start and i think im enjoying it more becuase they are deviating slightly from the comic storyline but putting in enough nods and some blatant pointing to stuff taken wholesale from the comics.

One thing i will say is, the camp feels too safe at the mo. Everyones just chilled out, fair enough theres a look out on the camper van but it doesnt feel as tense as in the comics and when Lori said that Carl goes out like a light on a night it didnt seem right to me. If i was in that situation i'd be shitting myself and unable to sleep. Its not a fucking camping trip.

Still that's all i can gripe about and its most likely just the calm before the storm as they mentioned more walkers are appearing in the woods searching for food further away from the city. There's gonna be a shit storm in the next episode or 2 and we're gonna get our first proper deaths. They've probably just been building up the atmosphere for that so it holds more weight when it eventually happens.

Actings been great all round so far, cant fault it. Even T-Dog as the token black dude isnt grating as much as i thought he might. Shanes coming along well as the miss-guided 'leader' who's actually just doing whats right for him not the group. Rick's reunion with Lori and Carl was handled well. Lori and Shane's shocked/happy/guilty/overwhelmed reactions were good. Carl's doing an ok job but he's not had much to work with. Hopefully when the chips are down and he has to step up like in the comic, the producers dont shy away from what he has to do to survive.

I like the actor who's playing Merle's brother too, think he was in Blade 2 as Blades helper. Still the main question is will Merle turn into a governer style badguy and will he be the one to take Ricks hand seen as Rick was mostly responsible for him having to take his own...?

Loving it!
  • bigshot316 17 Nov 2010 10:26:03 23,845 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wonder if they will even reach Hershels farm by the end of this season.
    I nearly said the prison, then remembered all the other stuff that went on before that even.

When will they find Tyrese??!
  • Gambit1977 17 Nov 2010 10:29:42 9,793 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    bigshot316 wrote:
    Wonder if they will even reach Hershels farm by the end of this season.
    I nearly said the prison, then remembered all the other stuff that went on before that even.

When will they find Tyrese??!

I thought they'd made Murle and co in a way of changing the hershels farm...been so long since those first books, I need to go back :D

Tyrese needs to appear soon, just for coolness. Thing is, they've got so many characters, they need to have a clear out first.
  • Derblington 17 Nov 2010 10:31:05 21,706 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Buztafen wrote:
    One thing i will say is, the camp feels too safe at the mo. Everyones just chilled out, fair enough theres a look out on the camper van but it doesnt feel as tense as in the comics and when Lori said that Carl goes out like a light on a night it didnt seem right to me. If i was in that situation i'd be shitting myself and unable to sleep. Its not a fucking camping trip.

Bear in mind that they've been living this way for months, and the camp is safe at the moment.

This is my problem with people claiming Lori was a slut too - it's not a case of her just shacking up with Shane overnight and disappearing. While we don't have an accurate time frame, she was told Rick was dead (and had no reason not to believe that considering she left him in a comatosed state and the sudden deterioration of the world) and then we caught up with them much later. A lot has happened. It's deceptive, partly, I think, because of the hospital scene with the flowers in episode one, but those flowers weren't just dead when Rick wakes - they were colourless and crispy.
  • Buztafen 17 Nov 2010 10:31:55 16,268 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I dont know if they'll find Tyrese or if T-Dog 'is' Tyrese bud, we'll see. I dont even know if they'll make it to Wiltshire Estate before the end of the season let alone Hershels farm...
  • Derblington 17 Nov 2010 10:33:19 21,706 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh, and I reckon season one will end with the death of Shane, and then them leaving camp and heading out on the road.

The farm, prison, etc, etc, all seems far too long down the line, though it depends how much of the structure they change.
  • Buztafen 17 Nov 2010 10:37:41 16,268 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    This is my problem with people claiming Lori was a slut too - it's not a case of her just shacking up with Shane overnight and disappearing. While we don't have an accurate time frame, she was told Rick was dead (and had no reason not to believe that considering she left him in a comatosed state and the sudden deterioration of the world) and then we caught up with them much later. A lot has happened. It's deceptive, partly, I think, because of the hospital scene with the flowers in episode one, but those flowers weren't just dead when Rick wakes - they were colourless and crispy.

I kind of agreed with them at the end of EP2 but like you said, in EP3 she says she was told by Shane that Rick was dead. Also as i mentioned in the other thread, in a situation like that you'd want a little security of some sort and Shane offered that.
  • Buztafen 17 Nov 2010 10:42:57 16,268 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Its gonna build up to a showdown between Shane and Rick definitely when walkers start attacking the camp. I just dont know how Merle and his brother fit in to this seasons story.

Ok I'm throwin this out there. Merle comes back to the camp and kills T-Dog, then steals a car and escapes. His brother will go with him one way or another and Merle might become the Governer of Woodbury, though his people skills are pretty lacking to be able to rule over a town of people.
  • spamdangled 17 Nov 2010 10:45:01 27,356 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm really annoyed with myself that I've missed it so far. Is there anywhere I can catch up with the episodes ive missed?

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• moriss 17 Nov 2010 10:48:53 588 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Buztafen wrote:

Bear in mind that they've been living this way for months, and the camp is safe at the moment.

yeah i agree with all this, there really isnt any reason top complain aboput anything so far, its playing out just fine, its only three episodes old and people are picking holes at far too high a level. its all fine, very solid as far as i can tell.
  • moriss 17 Nov 2010 10:49:26 588 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    I'm really annoyed with myself that I've missed it so far. Is there anywhere I can catch up with the episodes ive missed?
    assume you mean something that isnt torrents or usenet?
  • spamdangled 17 Nov 2010 10:50:21 27,356 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    moriss wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:

Preferably, yeah. Something legit.

Though is torrenting TV shows wrong if they are free to watch on tv in the first place? Hmm.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• bigshot316 17 Nov 2010 10:56:27 23,845 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I read every comic inside of 2 weeks, so I get a bit muddled about certain events, and even forgot about Wiltshire Estates!

I got a bit confused about the actual length that Rick was in his coma as well.

Surely he would have starved to death or died of dehydration if he'd been alone more than a week, but when they arrive at the Sheriffs station and have a hot shower they say the Gasline has been down for over a Month.

No drip could keep him alive for so long, so I wonder what the actual timeline is.
  • moriss 17 Nov 2010 11:01:47 588 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    moriss wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:

Though is torrenting TV shows wrong if they are free to watch on tv in the first place? Hmm.
    there is no 'legit'; way of watching them online :)

not that anyone here cares lol.i get my shows off usenet, or torrents if the usenet thingy fails for some reason (never happens eeally)
  • Buztafen 17 Nov 2010 11:09:30 16,268 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Im sure it would said somewhere that it was almost 2 months between rick getting shot then waking up. We dont know how long the hospital staff stayed on though as they were still looking after him when Shane, Lori and Carl had to leave because they told them he was being moved to another intensive care unit. Then you've the time it took for Rick to sort himself out and head to Atlanta, which incidentally is fucking miles from Cynthiana. It could be getting on 3 months before Rick turned up in at the camp.

This Walking Dead Google Map is awesome btw. Thought i'd repost it here.
  • Buztafen 17 Nov 2010 11:11:36 16,268 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    moriss wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    moriss wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:

there is no 'legit'; way of watching them online :)

not that anyone here cares lol.i get my shows off usenet, or torrents if the usenet thingy fails for some reason (never happens eeally)

Heh that's exactly what i do, usenet never really lets me down except for True Blood for some reason. I just cant find some working season 3 episodes using Newzbin or NZB'sRUS so get them from Torrents.
  • bigshot316 17 Nov 2010 11:21:51 23,845 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think I need to join one of those thingies before I push my luck.

I have no TV or Satellite, so I have to Torrent anything I want to watch that isn't on 4OD or iPlayer, which equates to about 15-20 Gig/week minimum.

Anyway, I didn't realise the battle with the Governer lasted 5 issues!!
  • bigshot316 17 Nov 2010 15:24:24 23,845 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I just thought of something else that's been bugging me.

The zombies are clearly all decomposing to various degrees yeah?
    Now as of issue #75, at least a year has passed on by since the apocalypse began so why haven't the zombies all turned into mulch by now?

We've all seen the maggots that fall out of them at every turn, and it can't be substinance from eating flesh as there aren't very many humans left!!

Or am I thinking of this too deeply...
  • bigshot316 17 Nov 2010 15:25:37 23,845 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    oops double post.
  • Derblington 17 Nov 2010 15:34:27 21,706 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There will always be a few fresh ones as they infect any survivors, but I'd say your thinking about it too logically. They haven't set any specific rules for the decomposition of the dead, nor the effect it will have in extremes.
  • Buztafen 17 Nov 2010 15:36:52 16,268 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    bigshot316 wrote:
    I just thought of something else that's been bugging me.

The zombies are clearly all decomposing to various degrees yeah?
    Now as of issue #75, at least a year has passed on by since the apocalypse began so why haven't the zombies all turned into mulch by now?

We've all seen the maggots that fall out of them at every turn, and it can't be substinance from eating flesh as there aren't very many humans left!!

Or am I thinking of this too deeply...

Not too deeply no. The Walking Dead is not really about the Zombies themselves more the struggle of survivors to stay alive at all costs, mental and physical, and to try and keep what humanity they have left intact. As someone said before and as Rick says in the comic, the survivors are the walking dead. It may be the case that the zombies eventually decay into nothing leaving the human race to try and start again but its been seen before that in the comics even if you die from natural causes, you still come back as the undead. Whether any of these things happen before all the remaining humans are either eaten or kill by one another remains to be seen. Basically, to quote The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - 'Who will survive...and what will be left of them?'.
  • bigshot316 17 Nov 2010 15:40:29 23,845 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yes I know this, but I still need to know my zombie decomposition rate.

Perhaps Kirkman would like to present some form of a flow chart in an upcoming issue to assist my understanding of this.
  • Buztafen 23 Nov 2010 11:14:26 16,268 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ok so after Episode 4 Amy is dead and Carol is now alone with Sophia after her douche husband gets his face eaten. Jim's still alive but i reckon he might get attacked by one of the dead if the leave em too long before putting a bullet in their heads. Great episode.
  • bigshot316 24 Nov 2010 08:52:21 23,845 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I keep getting mixed up between characters.
    It seems so long ago since the first few issues, my brains are scrambled.

I was thinking Carol was the religious nutter, but she's the mother of Sophia that was with Tyreese for a bit isn't she?
    I didnt remember her being with Ed but a quick Wiki search revealed that he was dead before Rick met her in the comics.

So which is the religious woman that I'm thinking of? Im confused!
  • johnlenham 24 Nov 2010 09:23:03 4,000 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    bigshot316 wrote:
    I keep getting mixed up between characters.
    It seems so long ago since the first few issues, my brains are scrambled.

I was thinking Carol was the religious nutter, but she's the mother of Sophia that was with Tyreese for a bit isn't she?
    I didnt remember her being with Ed but a quick Wiki search revealed that he was dead before Rick met her in the comics.

So which is the religious woman that I'm thinking of? Im confused!

The one married to allen with the two twin boys isnt it? well not religious but more prudish.
    The only other religious guy is Hershal and the vicar but they are both a long way off.

Not seen anything past the first one, going to wait a few weeks and watch 3 or 4 in a row :D
  • bigshot316 24 Nov 2010 09:24:26 23,845 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah you're right.
    Jeez, my memory is shite!
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous