• sport 23 Nov 2011 22:13:54 12,060 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PML! Melon! \o/

Hopefully getting mine tomorrow.
  • Nasty 25 Nov 2011 11:52:56 4,726 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Proper good little package. Light and thin but a good quality feel to it, great screen, good touch response. I want one too now :(
  • sport 25 Nov 2011 11:59:11 12,060 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nasty wrote:
    Proper good little package. Light and thin but a good quality feel to it, great screen, good touch response. I want one too now :(
    Yeah, mine arrived yesterday (well xmas pressie for dad), but I didn't have time to charge and and play. Just had a look and touch - very very nice little package.

Can anyone recommend a good screen protector / film for it?

Also, any recommended updates we should get?

I think I'm gonna get 2 more. I love the size and combining this with Lego Mindstorm programming is gonna get me and my boy through many winter afternoons.
  • mrpon 25 Nov 2011 12:24:22 27,665 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I love it. I've got pretty much all my existing Android apps loaded no problems*. Any "not compatible with this device" prompts in the Market, just google for the apk file and run that. The EG app looks fantastic.

Ran the GameBoid GBA emulator no problems, although the virtual gamepad isn't going to win any fans. Haven't tried the Wiimote or PS3 pad yet, but it does state in the settings it supports bluetooth gamepad :cool: The standard Music/Video/Photo Frame apps are very nice and hooked up to my UPnP device no problems.

My only quarm is the screen rotation/lock is slightly quirky. But this is a very minor nitpick.

* remember to download ArcTools from the AppsLib first, then install the standard Android Market from there. That'll put the normal Market icon in your apps section.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• disusedgenius 25 Nov 2011 12:32:23 5,149 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Has anyone any experience with the Samsung Galaxy 2 WiFi Media Player thing? It's basically half way between a phone and a tablet with a 5 inch screen. I was considering it as a kind of half-way house between the two.
  • mrpon 26 Nov 2011 10:23:36 27,665 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I can report the Wiimote works on the GBA emulator on the Archos 70 complete with key mapping functionality.

• Deleted user 26 November 2011 11:59:17
    My two have arrived. I'm tempted to open them up to "make sure they are working and put on the apps my kids will want", but I think they look good shrink rapped and not like I got bored with a couple.
  • sport 28 Nov 2011 09:20:20 12,060 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well finally had a little play last night, getting it updated and ready for my dad. Got Android Market, updated firmware, registered etc, now gonna load a crap-ton of games for the fella.

It is a bloody awesome piece of kit. Perfect size, looks great, plays Angry Brides beautifully...

Gonna pick up 2 more if my Dec budget allows.
  • mrpon 28 Nov 2011 10:01:34 27,665 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    sport wrote:
    ...plays Angry Brides beautifully...
    Whoops! :)

• sport 28 Nov 2011 10:07:02 12,060 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    sport wrote:
    ...plays Angry Brides beautifully...
    Whoops! :)
    ;-P You know me mate.
  • Nasty 28 Nov 2011 10:27:52 4,726 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's a game that needs to be made.

I ran the prospect of getting a tablet for the missus for xmas the other night and she wasn't that fussed but though it'd a be a good idea for our boy(9). I fessed up and showed her what she could have won. She thought it was cool but reckons she wouldn't use it after a week and would much rather have perfume and stuff like that.

It's now packed with every emulator and free game I could cram on to it, ready for the boy who will probably explode on christmas morning now.
  • sport 28 Nov 2011 10:32:38 12,060 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Have you got the wiimote working with GBA emulation goodness? mrpon must elaborate if it's any good i.e. responsive etc.
  • mrpon 28 Nov 2011 10:47:24 27,665 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'll check later, seemed good from what I recall. It essentially worked, after some key mapping. I haven't tried the Classic Controller yet, which I believe you can use (after plugging it into the Wiimote).

Chap in the office here has had MAME running on it as well! I think SCUMMVM is the next venture, DOTT is just made for that screen.

Do we need a dedicated thread?

• Deleted user 28 November 2011 10:49:20
    Still uncertain if I should open the 2 I got for my kids and shove a load of stuff on them or not. I think they'll like the new look and neither of them are dumb (16 and 17) so I can talk them through how to use them and set them up.

Tempted to get one myself, but need to buy stuff for others first. Oh and Nasty, I had the exact same response. She thought it would be awesome for my kids, less so for her. She wants a new phone and makeup.
  • AcidSnake 28 Nov 2011 10:58:28 7,145 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can you install SCUMMVM out of the box? Or do you need to jailbreak it or something?
    This suddenly got my interest...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• sport 28 Nov 2011 11:06:35 12,060 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Witch - I'd let the kids do it themselves. Give them a short list of things to do e.g. firmware, register, arctools etc. It'll give them more of a sense that it's their device and it'll hopefully start them tinkering which is a great way to learn how to use any tech.
  • mrpon 28 Nov 2011 11:06:38 27,665 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just loaded the OnLive Viewer! Looks pretty decent, obviously lower resolution etc.. But looks promising when they roll out the full Android version.

Edited by mrpon at 11:08:47 28-11-2011

• sport 28 Nov 2011 11:12:10 12,060 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    Can you install SCUMMVM out of the box? Or do you need to jailbreak it or something?
    This suddenly got my interest...
    Think you can just install it. No need to root as far as I know. And mrpon's right, the screen size would make it perfect for this.

Dedicated thread or group anyone?
  • Deleted user 28 November 2011 11:15:00
    Happy to join a dedicated thread or group, because if my Misses doesnt get me one for Xmas, then I think I will get one myself afterwards. The thought of playing all those Scumm games again in portable mode would be great.
  • mrpon 28 Nov 2011 11:22:50 27,665 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah ScummVM is free on the Market, as is the game plugin required to boot up. I just need to find my game files now! It boots up anyway!

• AcidSnake 28 Nov 2011 11:25:38 7,145 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh hells yes!

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• sport 28 Nov 2011 11:36:26 12,060 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Shit, Shit Shit!!!!

Both the 70 and the 10.1 are out of stock at CPW now :-(

Here's hoping they get another batch at that price.
  • fergal_oc 28 Nov 2011 11:47:42 2,763 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Snost and lost :(
  • AlcohollicA 28 Nov 2011 12:52:44 2,355 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bought an Archos 70 for the girlfriend's christmas. Can't wait to have a play about with it when it comes in.

It will stop her hogging my laptop all the time too.
  • mrpon 28 Nov 2011 13:02:27 27,665 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    Oh hells yes!
    Don't get too excited, they don't work with the Steam versions :(

• AcidSnake 28 Nov 2011 13:18:34 7,145 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nah, I've still got them on CD-ROM...Proper old school...

• mrpon 28 Nov 2011 13:40:49 27,665 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Get excited then!! :)

I'll give my DOTT a go tonight, think I've got Full Throttle lying around as well.

• Carbon_Altered 28 Nov 2011 14:27:33 675 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    sport wrote:
    Shit, Shit Shit!!!!

Am I looking at the wrong thing? CPW says the 70 is in stock - is there a different version of it or something>?
  • sport 28 Nov 2011 14:30:24 12,060 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Carbon_Altered wrote:
    sport wrote:
    Shit, Shit Shit!!!!

Am I looking at the wrong thing? CPW says the 70 is in stock - is there a different version of it or something>?
    HA! Brilliant mate. It was definitely "Out of Stock" this morning. Looks like it's back in. Maybe a temp stock update issue with CPW this morning.
  • Page

of 9 First / Last