Best "budget" tablet for internet browsing Page 2

  • Page

    of 9 First / Last

  • grey_matters 2 Sep 2011 22:07:29 3,670 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lenovo's new A1 looks like a decent budget choice.
  • mrpon 2 Sep 2011 22:23:10 28,407 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wonder if the resolution will be tasty?

    Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

  • Stranded87 28 Sep 2011 22:51:08 848 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyone got any experience of the Kogan Agora? Looks pretty decent for £119.

    Also the Cambridge Sciences G7 II looks alright.
  • spindizzy 29 Sep 2011 13:35:31 6,427 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What about the Kindle Fire?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051VVOB2/ref=famstripe_kf
  • Articulate-Troll 29 Sep 2011 13:42:48 3,104 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Kindle Fire probably won't be released here until next year.
  • ModishNouns 29 Sep 2011 13:44:24 4,654 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Cambridge Sciences one Stranded posted is better than the Fire. Same power, same price (probably) and not nerfed with a closed, branded UI.
  • Nasty 22 Nov 2011 13:08:10 4,741 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Stranded87 wrote:
    Also the Cambridge Sciences G7 II looks alright.
    Just plumped for one of these for the wifey for xmas. Seems to be the best bang-for-buck option out there.
  • Deleted user 22 November 2011 13:23:31
    Nasty wrote:
    Stranded87 wrote:
    Also the Cambridge Sciences G7 II looks alright.
    Just plumped for one of these for the wifey for xmas. Seems to be the best bang-for-buck option out there.
    Thanks for the bump. My lass was just talking about wanting an ipad (to which I said "no way in hell") and this sounds like a good alternative, especially as it is flash player compatible and has a micro SD slot.
  • sport 22 Nov 2011 13:47:00 12,499 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I dunno, £169 seems a tad expensive for 7" - I've been eyeing the Archos 70 which is £99 at CPW
  • mrpon 22 Nov 2011 14:15:04 28,407 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fucking scary bastard, was just about to post that! Chap in the office here has just bought one. Looks nice, very slimline/light, built in stand is nice! - about to have a play with it in a minute, fnar.

    Think I'll be getting one, just for a dick around with.

    Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

  • Nasty 22 Nov 2011 14:21:17 4,741 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Was looking at the Archos 10.1 as well but seems to be a lot of negative reviews. I'll be taking it out and making sure its ok and if its crap, sending it back and getting an Archos in time for xmas.
  • sport 22 Nov 2011 14:26:07 12,499 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Fucking scary bastard, was just about to post that! Chap in the office here has just bought one. Looks nice, very slimline/light, built in stand is nice! - about to have a play with it in a minute, fnar.

    Think I'll be getting one, just for a dick around with.
    Short review would be very much appreciated mate.
  • sport 22 Nov 2011 14:27:57 12,499 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nasty wrote:
    Was looking at the Archos 10.1 as well but seems to be a lot of negative reviews. I'll be taking it out and making sure its ok and if its crap, sending it back and getting an Archos in time for xmas.
    I dunno, there are quite a few on the CPW site that are positive. Thinking of the 10.1 for my dad so he can play a few games.
  • mrpon 22 Nov 2011 14:42:20 28,407 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @sport - you've probably seen this page, just trawling through it now. Biggest issue could be you can't download from the Android Market, it has it's own smaller AppsLib. It'll support APK files though, so if you can "source" the app elsewhere, you're cooking.

    Plays MKVs, browser seemed ok not lightening fast but functional, speakers are good, flipout stand utilises portrait/landscape modes. Comes with 2.2 Froyo. No HDMI to TV cable included, though these are around £4.

    Could be a goer.

    Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

  • Deleted user 22 November 2011 14:46:50
    You can get round the limited app market problem by:

    "The Android Market isn’t accessible by default. Instead, you’re prompted to set up an account on Archos’s web-based AppsLib market, which fell over with a ‘failed to install plug-in’ error. Instead, we downloaded the third-party ArcTools app via the Tablet’s web browser. This installs the Android Market and lets you link the Tablet to your Google account, making it a fully functional Android device."
  • mrpon 22 Nov 2011 14:52:07 28,407 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sounds interesting. I went direct to gb.zinio.com and it looked like I could download the reader from there. It prompted me for an account which I didn't continue with (as it wasn't mine).

    Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

  • Nasty 22 Nov 2011 14:52:59 4,741 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    sport wrote:
    Nasty wrote:
    Was looking at the Archos 10.1 as well but seems to be a lot of negative reviews. I'll be taking it out and making sure its ok and if its crap, sending it back and getting an Archos in time for xmas.
    I dunno, there are quite a few on the CPW site that are positive. Thinking of the 10.1 for my dad so he can play a few games.
    Yeah. It could be that because Archos is pretty well known now there are a lot more out there and a bigger vocal minority of moaners. Dammit. Order cancelled. More reading :(
  • mrpon 22 Nov 2011 15:10:50 28,407 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Witch.King wrote:
    You can get round the limited app market problem by:

    "The Android Market isn’t accessible by default. Instead, you’re prompted to set up an account on Archos’s web-based AppsLib market, which fell over with a ‘failed to install plug-in’ error. Instead, we downloaded the third-party ArcTools app via the Tablet’s web browser. This installs the Android Market and lets you link the Tablet to your Google account, making it a fully functional Android device."
    Yup, chap in the office has just installed ArcTools and now has access to the Android Market!

    Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

  • Deleted user 22 November 2011 15:53:28
    Main issue when looking for one of these lack of flash support. This however, ticks all the right boxes. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-TFT-LCD-Android-2-3-Tablet-PC-Capacitive-3G-1080P-3D-GAME-3G-Flash-1GHZ-WiFi-/230703396638?pt=UK_iPad_Tablets_eReaders&hash=item35b6fe771e#ht_7219wt_1127
    Capacitive multi-touch, flash. Samsung Cortex ARM A8 cpu. Video shows it's nice and responsive. Mmmmmm?
  • mrpon 22 Nov 2011 17:42:29 28,407 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Looks a bit good, scroll to 7m 50.



    Edited by mrpon at 17:43:31 22-11-2011

    Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

  • sport 22 Nov 2011 19:19:29 12,499 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Looks a bit good, scroll to 7m 50.

    That's bloody awesome. Resi 2 \o/ - Actually popped into CPW on the way home today just to get a feel for the size, and the 70 is definitely the way to go. 10.1 just felt a bit too big and "heavy".

    For £99, plus possible cashback if you go through Quidco or topcashback, you can't go wrong with this.
  • mrpon 22 Nov 2011 19:32:46 28,407 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yup, I ordered one as well. Next day delivery! Looking forward to tinkering, I've already got a bluetooth keyboard and mouse to toy with.

    I've seen another video with a guy using the Wii classic controller as well.

    Edited by mrpon at 19:34:34 22-11-2011

    Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

  • Nasty 22 Nov 2011 20:11:16 4,741 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ordered one from CPW and got £15 cashback from quidco. Rediculous bargain considering what you're getting. Cheers sport for the heads-up!
  • Deleted user 22 November 2011 21:36:51
    Nasty wrote:
    Ordered one from CPW and got £15 cashback from quidco. Rediculous bargain considering what you're getting. Cheers sport for the heads-up!
    And thanks as well. Ordered one from the same place via quidco (2 hours left on the £15 deal) so thats a £229.99 tablet (Amazon RRP) for £85. Cool :)

    Hope my lass likes it...
  • sport 22 Nov 2011 21:55:11 12,499 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ha, just got one too. This one's really for my dad. Will have a little play though to get it loaded with Market, games, and movies.

    I've realized the possibilities of this, combined with a Lego Mindstorm remote controlled robot and a bluetooth cam - ooohhh yeah!!!!!
  • mrpon 23 Nov 2011 19:52:56 28,407 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jesus, this is a bit of alright! I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's a better form factor than the iPad. You have to hold one to see what I mean. Check out the Unofficial Android App thread for some piccies of it running the app. It's very nippy, pretty much on par with the Galaxy S2. For 99 quid (maybe less with quidco) I'd highly highly recommend anyone buying one. Any questions, fire away.

    Typing this on a wireless apple keyboard :)

    Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

  • Deleted user 23 November 2011 20:22:00
    Good to know :)

    Probably going to by 2 for my daughters for xmas.
  • jonsaan 23 Nov 2011 20:32:36 25,326 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Which one is it you are talking about chaps? It all got a bit confusing. Melon name your model.

    FCUTA!

  • jonsaan 23 Nov 2011 20:39:19 25,326 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Melon! Spell check mrpon!

    FCUTA!

  • mrpon 23 Nov 2011 20:39:56 28,407 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Melon! It's the Archos 70.

    Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

  • Page

    of 9 First / Last

Log in or register to reply