Happy belated birthday Halo

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • morriss 16 Nov 2010 09:19:20 70,911 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Best shooter franchise ever turned nine years old yesterday. *minute's silence for the fallen*

How did you/are you going to celebrate?
  • TechnoHippy 16 Nov 2010 09:21:47 14,698 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm going to masturbate while holing my Masterchief doll.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• mrpon 16 Nov 2010 09:22:42 28,495 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Techno Hippy wrote:
    I'm going to masturbate while holing my Masterchief doll.
    Nice typo, hopefully.

Give yourself £5 or Ĺ gig, you're worth it.

• megastar 16 Nov 2010 09:22:54 17,135 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    define "holing"

no wait... don't!
  • LetsGo 16 Nov 2010 09:23:44 5,175 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Happy birthday Halo. You've made a lot of console FPSrs happy.

You were an OK game but us PC players were playing games like yours for years before you arrived on the scene.
  • Deleted user 16 November 2010 09:24:25
    I celebrated by reaching Major last night and getting an EXTERMINATOR! medal.
  • morriss 16 Nov 2010 09:26:50 70,911 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:

You were an OK game but us PC players were playing games like yours for years before you arrived on the scene but they just weren't as good..
  • Craig0702 16 Nov 2010 09:29:26 2,178 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Why do PC players constantly feel the need to go "OH HAI LOOK AT ME, I PLAY GAMES ON A PC THEREFORE CONSOLEZ IS SHIT LOLZ"? It's old. Fucking octopus hands.
  • LetsGo 16 Nov 2010 09:31:17 5,175 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    LetsGo wrote:

You were an OK game but us PC players were playing games like yours for years before you arrived on the scene but they just weren't as good..

Oh dear... I forgot you can't have an opinion with console fanboys...
  • TechnoHippy 16 Nov 2010 09:32:07 14,698 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    megastar wrote:
    define "holing"

no wait... don't!

It's like squicking.

• AHiFi 16 Nov 2010 09:33:20 1,665 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Halo shuffled off this mortal coil when Reach came out. The appearance of its name on 'new release' shelves will act as a husk, masking shoddy efforts to recapture Bungie's magic - who themselves even failed to do so.

But I'll hold my hopes out for a second coming...until then:

Halo: 2001-2010

Rest in peace.
  • morriss 16 Nov 2010 09:34:27 70,911 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You can have an opinion. I've never said you can't. There just weren't any games that were better. Similar? Yes. Was Halo 100% original? No. Was it however better than everything before it? Yes. Has the franchised evolved to the extent where no other shooter on the market raises a candle to Halo 3 and Reach no matter what platform? Yes. Is therefore Halo the best shooter franchise ever? Yes.

Happy Birthday, old chum.
  • kalel 16 Nov 2010 09:41:02 86,421 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Iíve never really got the PC vs console thing that Halo seems to start up. Iíd been playing PC FPS games since Doom when Halo came out, and yet I still found Halo a very different experience to anything Iíd played before.

Since then Iíve continued to play PC FPS games and other console FPS games like Killzone 2, and CoD, and I still donít think thereís anything quite the same as Halo. ďBetterĒ tends to come down to preference, but Iíd challenge any PC gamer to name a PC FPS game that has the same style of open area sci-fi squad based shooting. Itís a very unique game series and thatís the secret of its success.
  • morriss 16 Nov 2010 09:44:16 70,911 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My use of the word "better" is just to wind people up.

Whether certain things were done before on PC shooters, Halo changed the game and raised the bar. And imo, Halo Reach is the defining shooter of this generation. So the brand is still going very strong.

So yeah, kal's right.
  • mcmonkeyplc 16 Nov 2010 09:48:32 39,387 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I played Halo Reach last and played crap.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Fake_Blood 16 Nov 2010 09:53:29 4,085 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I remember the xbox launch very well.
    I bought an xbox on launch, with halo and PGR, then the xbox broke after 5 days.
  • AHiFi 16 Nov 2010 09:54:31 1,665 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    And imo, Halo Reach is the defining shooter of this generation.So yeah, kal's right.

I disagree. What did it do other than be an amalgamation of what came before it? What did it honestly do other than Irish-up ODST's storyline? What did it do with the multiplayer? Why did they create so many dull as dishwater forgeworld maps? Why were, and please correct me if I'm wrong, all of the maps (Multiplayer and Firefight) carbon copies of single player environments?

Reach lacked creativity. It felt utterly lazy and like Bungie already had their efforts elsewhere. For the record, I reckon I've played over 10,000 Halo multiplayer games. Probably more. And I'd also reckon that about 75 of them are from Reach. I've not touched the game in about a month.
  • matrim83 16 Nov 2010 09:56:18 5,587 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Remake this shit in the Reach engine already MS.

Or at least release the existing game on disc with working online MP and co op and better frame rate than the BC currently manages.

Edit Yeah am another one of those people who was playing on the PC before and after Halo. I still thought it was an absolutely astonishing game. 60% of my playtime is still on the PC and my opinion is still the same.

Infact the first time I played Halo was on the PC. I bought the old Xbox just to play Halo 2.

Valar morghulis.

• AHiFi 16 Nov 2010 10:04:54 1,665 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Smuggo wrote:
    If they re-released Halo 1, exactly as it was but with online MP and the new engine, I would snap it up straight away.

I disagree on Halo 2, which I found to be a great follow-up and I've always admired Bungie for trying something different instead of just sticking to the first game's formula, but I agree with you on this. It would be superb to revisit it, the sales would be HUGE.
  • AHiFi 16 Nov 2010 10:30:34 1,665 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Smuggo wrote:
    AHiFi wrote:
    Smuggo wrote:
    If they re-released Halo 1, exactly as it was but with online MP and the new engine, I would snap it up straight away.

I disagree on Halo 2, which I found to be a great follow-up and I've always admired Bungie for trying something different instead of just sticking to the first game's formula, but I agree with you on this. It would be superb to revisit it, the sales would be HUGE.

I definitely think Halo 2 built on the first game with a lot of things, but the weapon balance was really shit.

If you had a Plasma pistol and a BR and knew how to use them you were almost unstoppable. It wasn't really worth carrying anything else.

I think that depends on the map. On wide-open maps, you're right. But most wide-open maps in Halo 2 were vehicular maps anyway, thus cancelling the effect - unless they're a good shot with the PP, of course. In close range, like the innards of the tower in Headlong, it's possible if you're good enough, but I'd still prefer a couple of SMGs, a shotgun or a sword in my loadout rather than the 'n00b combo'.

Guess it depends what mode you played. I didn't like Team Deathmatch in Halo 2, but I adored Big Team Battle.

I talk about it as if its current tense, when in fact it's dead online. :'(
  • Lukus 16 Nov 2010 10:31:57 19,006 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:

You were an OK game but us PC players were playing games like yours for years before you arrived on the scene.

This is a thread celebrating life, not mourning the loss of someone you don't know in an over the top fashion. ie- shut up LetsGo.

Paintings & Photographs

• smallvillefan 16 Nov 2010 11:24:17 41 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Best shooter franchise ever

lol
  • Deleted user 16 November 2010 11:28:40
    Indeed.

Happy birthday Halo, you were a fun game, your offspring are cunts though.
  • disusedgenius 16 Nov 2010 11:34:29 5,229 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Iíd been playing PC FPS games since Doom when Halo came out, and yet I still found Halo a very different experience to anything Iíd played before.
    Same. I just didn't like it!

Edit: More t the point, I really dislike the influence it's had on console shooters. Still nothing's beaten Timesplitters 2 for that yet. Saying that, nothing on the PC has beaten Deus Ex either, but that's a different story...
  • TechnoHippy 16 Nov 2010 11:39:33 14,698 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Halo was probably the first FPS since Duke Nukem where I actually was interested in the player's character. For pretty much all the others they were just somebody to hold the gun, that didn't spoil my enjoyment of them though.

• morriss 16 Nov 2010 14:36:55 70,911 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm celebrating by ploughing through ODST. Feels like a little game but has a lot of depth.
  • jonsaan 16 Nov 2010 14:38:37 25,326 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I really liked Halo 2. I thought it was ace. I never got on with the first one either. I'm just odd I think.

FCUTA!

• Jazzy_Geoff 16 Nov 2010 14:41:41 7,767 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    fuck off halo, you're boring.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous