Darksiders 2 Page 3

• Page

of 14 First / Last

• NOSAVIOUR 11 Aug 2012 22:14:20 2,802 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Games master gave it 88% "it is zelda for the non Nintendo masses and it deserves to be embraced by all".
  • kentmonkey 11 Aug 2012 22:17:19 20,073 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well...I am only about an hour in so it's hard to tell. But thus far it's enjoyable, plays a bit like a Darksiders 1.5 rather than a sequel though and I've had a few issues with the character ignoring the direction I'm pointing when making jumps and therefore plunging to his death regularly.

However, as I say, still very early days and I have enjoyed it. I can see places scoring it anywhere from as low as a 7 through to a 9 when reviews start getting published from what I've played thus far.

No need to cancel any preorders, suffice to say.
  • kentmonkey 11 Aug 2012 22:18:56 20,073 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I do get pissed off with the 'it's Zelda...' comments from reviewers. It's just bloody lazy.

From now on I'm just going to write, about every FPS game, 'It's like COD, but...'.
  • Dirtbox 12 Aug 2012 01:44:10 76,327 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well it is a lot like zelda, there's no other comparison you can make.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• NOSAVIOUR 12 Aug 2012 08:36:01 2,802 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The one thing that concerned me about the Gamesmaster review is how much they imply this game more than deserves to be the saviour of THQ, and without us buying it, it will be no more. Sounds more like then are helping look after THQ's bank balance than fairly review the game.
  • nickthegun 12 Aug 2012 10:19:15 55,848 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    There really isnt. Ive not played the new one, obviously, but the other one was basically zelda with demons.

And a lot of crap taken out. I actually enjoyed darksiders more than ive enjoyed most of the 3d zeldas.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Deleted user 12 August 2012 10:41:11
    I wouldn't agree with 'zelda for the masses' though. It more like what zelda would have been if they had ever shown some ambition and taken some risks with the character and setting instead of remaking the same game.

I think this is my only day 1 buy of the year, loved the first one and it had a half decent story for a video game.
  • hiddenranbir 12 Aug 2012 10:47:41 5,744 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I hate the Zelda name drop too...as if Zelda was unique in the general structure... They're just a bunch of noobs that have no other reference point, because they simply haven't played many games. Yeah I said it bro.

I like how your name is nosaviour and the very post you just had is about being a saviour. So fitting!

Can't believe I gotta wait a weeeeek. All the games coming out near GW2 release. So crazy.
  • spamdangled 12 Aug 2012 11:23:03 27,197 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Metroid.

Aargh wrote:
    I wouldn't agree with 'zelda for the masses' though. It more like what zelda would have been if they had ever shown some ambition and taken some risks with the character and setting instead of remaking the same game.
    Don't agree with that. Majora's Mask and Wind Waker both reinvented the world and the general game mechanics (so did Skyward Sword, to a lesser degree)

Edited by darkmorgado at 11:25:12 12-08-2012

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• MatMan562 12 Aug 2012 11:24:12 1,902 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Surely journalists compare Darksiders to Zelda in the same way they compare Torchlight to Diablo, not because Diablo is the only game of it's kind but because it's one of the most popular. There's no point saying a game is like a game few people have heard of because the majority would still be none the wiser. "Zelda for the masses" is a on odd thing to say though, surely Zelda is for the masses?

Anyway, i'm really looking forward to this game, just not sure if I should pick this up or Sleeping Dogs, NSMB2 or Transformers FoC... tough decision.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• spamdangled 12 Aug 2012 11:32:21 27,197 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    I think it's more liekly that they would do this one, then Pesitlence and Famine as a tag team.
    In Darksiders, the other two horsemen are Strife and Fury.

I can sort of understand why, as I can't really think of how you could implement a famine gameplay mechanic (pestilence I guess would focus on poison and DOT abilities, but I guess having a character based around disease and famine also aren't exactly good from a marketing perspective).

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Armoured_Bear 12 Aug 2012 11:40:11 8,746 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Its the most awesome Zelda game made in the last 10 years
    It's really not, it's not bad but level design, dungeons etc. are miles behind the (shitty in places) recent Zelda games.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Doomspoon 12 Aug 2012 11:44:46 2,353 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Metroid.

Aargh wrote:
    Don't agree with that. Majora's Mask and Wind Waker both reinvented the world and the general game mechanics (so did Skyward Sword, to a lesser degree)
    Majora's Mask did something fairly radical with the use of time but Wind Waker's change was largely aesthetic. So you use a ship where you'd have used a horse in the previous two. Some ship based mechanics are added because, well, there's a ship now. They were still Zelda games mostly doing what Zelda games do. What remained unchanged in them is no different than what remained unchanged from the transition to 16-bit and then to 3D.

Precisely the same gameplay elements that the first Darksiders shares. The Zelda series have for a long time been some of my favourite games. I liked Darksiders because it felt like Zelda geared at a more mature audience, that it felt like Zelda with a lot of the unnecessary aspects removed.

Yes Metroid is similar to Zelda, as are Okami and Alundra so I'm led to believe. If a review stated Darksiders is like Okami but with the horsemen of the apocalypse and other biblical references the chances are I'd probably assume it's rather like Zelda then. Thus when describing it to someone else I'd likely say "it's like Zelda with demons".
  • spamdangled 12 Aug 2012 12:01:07 27,197 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The term I'd use is "Metroidvania", mainly due to the XP, loot, level progression, combat focus etc.

• mikew1985 12 Aug 2012 16:48:15 12,043 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Its the most awesome Zelda game made in the last 10 years
    It's really not, it's not bad but level design, dungeons etc. are miles behind the (shitty in places) recent Zelda games.
    Just saw this and you are in fact wrong imo. It is so much more varied and interesting than any Zelda has been in the last 10 years (WW was 2002 and even as much as I loved that it was unfinished).

I'm just as qualified as you to talk about Zelda games, without the inexplicable Nintendo hard on, thankfully. This game is most definitely not "miles" behind them.

Edited by mikew1985 at 16:49:23 12-08-2012
  • spamdangled 12 Aug 2012 17:56:12 27,197 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    (WW was 2002 and even as much as I loved that it was unfinished).
    How so? There's a few criticisms that can be levied at it, but unfinished isn't one of them IMO.

(sorry for moving off topic)

• Deleted user 12 August 2012 18:05:24
    It's well known it was unfinished.
  • spamdangled 12 Aug 2012 18:09:52 27,197 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm aware that there a couple of dungeons that weren't finished before release, but IIRC Miyamoto said they made their way into TP. When I played Wind Waker I never felt as though I hadn't got a full experience. It was shorter than other Zelda games sure, but there's still loads to do and it takes about 40 hours to do everything, which is more than enough.

• Anthony_UK 12 Aug 2012 18:12:41 2,388 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    WW up until the final stretch was borderline my favourite game ever. I didn't realise myself that they said it wasn't finished, but that aimless fetch quest at the end ruined an almost perfect game for me.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 12 Aug 2012 18:14:31 36,275 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:
    (WW was 2002 and even as much as I loved that it was unfinished).
    How so? There's a few criticisms that can be levied at it, but unfinished isn't one of them IMO.

(sorry for moving off topic)
    There's at least 2 cut dungeons on the disk that can be accessed with an Action Replay.

edit: Oh wait, you knew. Well, still unfinished. The whole final 3rd stinks of "Oh shit, we didn't have time to finish this!"

Edited by MrTomFTW at 18:15:56 12-08-2012

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Triggerhappytel 12 Aug 2012 18:19:00 2,664 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think rushed is a fairer way to describe The Wind Waker than unfinished. It obviously had a dungeon removed, and the Triforce pieces felt like hideous padding, but it was still a top game regardless.

Darksiders felt to me like the structure of Zelda crossed with the combat and character progression from God of War or Devil May Cry. It was a top game though despite its derivativeness, and I look forward to the sequel but probably won't be there on launch unless it gets a couple of amazing reviews from EG, Edge or Game central.
  • spamdangled 12 Aug 2012 18:30:40 27,197 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm getting it at launch. I loved the first game. They've addressed the two main things I wanted to see in the sequel, loot and greater character customisation.

The only thing I'm still a little apprehensive about is whether or not they've smoothed out the difficulty curve, as the original had some horrendously frustrating boss fights (FUCK YOU TIAMAT).

• Derblington 12 Aug 2012 18:37:50 20,951 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I want this day 1. The first one captured a rare level of entertainment that few games nowadays do, outside of the Nintendo stuff; just a ton of fun for fun's sake, right down to the art.

Edited by Derblington at 19:25:31 12-08-2012
  • spamdangled 12 Aug 2012 18:40:54 27,197 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The art helps though :-) I love Joe Mad.

• Dirtbox 12 Aug 2012 18:41:24 76,327 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I loved the first one, but it began to get a little repetitive for little pay off after the first two thirds.

• spamdangled 12 Aug 2012 18:50:49 27,197 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That is (hopefully) where the loot drops and greater build customisation comes in!

I hope there's a way to re-allocate spent points at a later date if you make a mistake with your build though (preferably with some sort of cost to provide a bit of balance). I watched a dev video a while back that mentioned you could invest all your points in magic only to come up against a boss that requires a lot of agile fast physical attacks.

I also hope that you can't end up with every single skill in the game during one playthrough. That would dilute the impact of your build decisions.

• nickthegun 12 Aug 2012 18:54:33 55,848 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I loved the first one, but it began to get a little repetitive for little pay off after the first two thirds.
    The last dungeon dragged for far too long and the final fetch quest was a bridge too far for me.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Dirtbox 12 Aug 2012 18:59:08 76,327 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I didn't finish it, it just got too boring.

• CharlieStCloud 12 Aug 2012 19:00:07 4,660 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    As someone who has not bought a game since, oohhh ... Max Payne 3, whenever that was released, I feel quite tempted to play he first one, seeing as it is 14 on 'Games on Demand'.

Quick question - how long is it, from start to end?
  • Page

of 14 First / Last