Stephen King Page 3

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• stewH 2 Aug 2006 11:50:03 202 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Currently reading The Drawing of Three as well, it took me a while to get through The Gunslinger, kept starting and stopping for some reason, but then about a month ago I had nothing elase to read and started it again and enjoyed it. Can't put down Drawing of Three though, hope the rest of the series is like this.

As for It, it's one of my favourite books ever.
  • evilashchris 3 Aug 2006 14:34:38 7,060 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    dreamcatcher the movie is wank! book is good though, and the dark tower stuff is referenced in most of his books, even if just by an odd line or two, honest, it's there..

Twitter: @COToole

• repairmanjack 3 Aug 2006 14:39:07 6,071 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    evilashchris wrote:
    dreamcatcher the movie is wank! book is good though

Shit. Weasels.
  • TwistidChimp 3 Aug 2006 14:42:34 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    King's books are generally ten times what the films were, except Misery for some reason. I never really got on with the book, but enjoyed the film. Go figure. :-)

The Shining, for instance, is heralded as a masterpiece of horror cinema, but it's actually pretty cack once you've read the proper story. See the film first.

People always seem to do a better job with his non horror stuff when it comes to films.

Stand by me, Shawshank redemption, Green Mile etc.
  • Blerk Moderator 3 Aug 2006 14:43:54 48,225 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TwistidChimp wrote:
    People always seem to do a better job with his non horror stuff when it comes to films.

Stand by me, Shawshank redemption, Green Mile etc.
    You're right! Shawshank and Green Mile are fantastic films. Was never too bothered about Stand By Me, but it's a long time since I saw it. Maybe I should give it another go now that I'm older and *cough* wiser?
  • Universal_Hamster 3 Aug 2006 14:47:38 4,948 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, I saw it for the first time recently, and thought it fantastic.
  • MetalDog 3 Aug 2006 14:49:31 23,781 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Stand By Me is a great film. Bit tragic looking at young phoenix. Silly beggar.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Kay 3 Aug 2006 14:51:08 17,938 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Stand By Me is still my all-time favourite film.

K
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:54:52
    Post deleted
  • Trowel 1 Jun 2012 08:27:13 17,930 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sequel to The Shining on the way:

Doctor Sleep

On highways across America, a tribe of people called The True Knot travel in search of sustenance. They look harmless—mostly old, lots of polyester, and married to their RVs. But as Dan Torrance knows, and tween Abra Stone learns, The True Knot are quasi-immortal, living off the “steam” that children with the “shining” produce when they are slowly tortured to death.

Haunted by the inhabitants of the Overlook Hotel where he spent one horrific childhood year, Dan has been drifting for decades, desperate to shed his father’s legacy of despair, alcoholism, and violence. Finally, he settles in a New Hampshire town, an AA community that sustains him, and a job at a nursing home where his remnant “shining” power provides the crucial final comfort to the dying. Aided by a prescient cat, he becomes “Doctor Sleep.”

Then Dan meets the evanescent Abra Stone, and it is her spectacular gift, the brightest shining ever seen, that reignites Dan’s own demons and summons him to a battle for Abra’s soul and survival. This is an epic war between good and evil, a gory, glorious story that will thrill the millions of hyper-devoted readers of The Shining and wildly satisfy anyone new to the territory of this icon in the King canon.
  • sport 1 Jun 2012 08:40:24 12,776 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ooohhh, sounds intriguing. I love King, but he's no Grapes though.
  • Rusty_M 1 Jun 2012 09:07:00 4,788 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I love The Dark Tower series, and have to agree that The Drawing Of The Three really sucks you in and makes you want more.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• DFawkes 1 Jun 2012 12:57:07 23,438 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have to admit I'd probably have stopped after The Gunslinger if I hadn't been given them all as a Christmas gift, which would've been a shame as, much as you say, it's the Drawing of the Three that really blows the story wide open and makes it clear just how epic and enjoyable the story is.

I don't even think I finished them yet. I'll get back on them this weekend :)

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Trowel 1 Jun 2012 13:23:44 17,930 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wizard and Glass, Book IV, is the one that does it for me - King at his absolute best.

Am about half way through The Wind Through The Keyhole (book 4.5). Smacks a little of King trying to recreate Wizard and Glass - he's not entirely successful, but it's entertaining enough. He's definitely got back to form in the last few years which is a relief after the dirge he churned out for years after the accident.
  • DFawkes 1 Jun 2012 14:25:19 23,438 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah, I remember now - I stopped at Wizard and Glass as I actually started off with the first graphic novel, which is a retelling of that flashback. I have to get started again.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• spamdangled 1 Jun 2012 14:28:35 27,417 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Whats the time-travelling one like? Worth a read, or continuing his decline?

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Deleted user 1 June 2012 14:33:29
    11/22/63 is actually one of his best books for years. Though, as with virtually everything he does, the ending isn't great. But even with all the time travel gimmicks, it's the most grounded book he's done for years - much more of a solid character study than a straight out sci-fi.
  • spamdangled 1 Jun 2012 14:37:50 27,417 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The thing with King's generally poor endings is (IIRC) because he just makes it all up as he goes along, instead of planning it out in advance. He comes up with a broad framework and then just lets the story go where it wants, which means he ends up struggling to conclude it in a satisfactory way.

The only King books I can think of where I actually thought the ending was good was The Shining, The Talisman (which he had help with anyway) and possibly Insomnia.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• desirous 1 Jun 2012 14:38:08 85 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The idea sounds absolute cack to me, but he has got the knack to knock out quite entertaining books from rubbish ideas. Christine - a serial killer car, and some recent stuff about cancer.
  • spamdangled 1 Jun 2012 14:39:05 27,417 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    desirous wrote:
    The idea sounds absolute cack to me, but he has got the knack to knock out quite entertaining books from rubbish ideas. Christine - a serial killer car, and some recent stuff about cancer.
    Didn't the idea for Cell come out of the whole "mobile phones give you cancer" idea?

• desirous 1 Jun 2012 14:42:13 85 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I didn't read that to be honest because it sounded dreadful, but I know I'd probably like it even if I did.
  • Trafford 1 Jun 2012 14:44:38 5,892 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Guardian has started a reapraisal blog on his work,
    http://m.guardian.co.uk/ms/p/gnm/op/sGJWQ2oe7PXLeYwLOTEbaHw/view.m?id=15&gid=books/2012/may/24/rereading-stephen-king-carrie&cat=books

I used to love his books, but hadn't picked one up for 20years.
    Currently I'm reading Under the Dome, on holiday, it's quite the page turner.
    Classic Maine town tale.
  • spamdangled 1 Jun 2012 14:47:28 27,417 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Trafford

"Sorry - we haven't been able to serve the page you asked for"

• Load_2.0 1 Jun 2012 14:47:48 19,457 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have come to a grudging expectation that most of his books won't have a particularly strong finish.

Though frustrating, I can't think of many conflicts in life arrive at a satisfactory and complete resolution. That's my rationalisation!
  • spamdangled 1 Jun 2012 14:51:01 27,417 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Actually, thinking about it, the ending to Salem's Lot was pretty good. And pretty downbeat as well.

• MetalDog 1 Jun 2012 14:55:58 23,781 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    While his endings are often a bit shaky, probably because of the messy effect on plot discover-as-you-go writing tends to have, as dark said - the journey is nearly always worth it.

• desirous 1 Jun 2012 14:56:00 85 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    That was like his second novel though, the early stuff was a lot more disturbingly interesting, before he probably got stuck in his style and process of writing.

Although Firestarter had a pretty satisfactory ending. Stuff like needful things didn't.

Spoiler probably - it ended with the devil or something flying away in a Santa mobile. WTF?
  • Deleted user 1 June 2012 14:56:17
    It's less the satisfaction and more the fact that it often comes out entirely of left-field, often with some contrived deus ex machina device.

"PS, your autistic mate is actually a super-alien and he can fight the bad guys"

"PS, I'm going to send the UFO into space using my telepathic brain powers I suddenly have"

etc etc

But his books are almost always about the journey, rather than the destination anyway. I've always thought he'd be awesome to tell stories around the campfire.
  • Load_2.0 1 Jun 2012 14:59:41 19,457 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Plus he writes a great bad guy. Randall Flagg being the obvious choice.
  • MetalDog 1 Jun 2012 15:10:33 23,781 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I thought Leyland Gaunt from Needful Things was pretty effective. So likable one moment, so empty and heartless the next - and all that stuff with Ace and Danforth Keaton - pure awesome.

• Page

of 6 First / Last