Stephen King Page 6

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Next
  • DaM 21 Jun 2012 15:25:11 15,300 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yesterday's Gone is very classic King-like - you can download some free "episodes".
  • Blerk Moderator 21 Jun 2012 15:47:28 48,224 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Interesting concept... I've grabbed the first one for free, we'll see how it goes!
  • IJ 1 Mar 2016 17:13:47 857 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Strange this topic should pop up today. I don't think I've ever read a King book before. Someone gave me 'Cell' for Xmas and raved about it and I've brought I away with me. I just read the first 50 pages and it's the worst book I've read in years. The writing is terrible, not just bad or average or page-turner simple, actually awful. I love a thriller or a page turner, I'm not some book snob that only reads classics, but wow this was terrible.

Is this book like all his writing or did I happen upon his low point?
  • Alastair 1 Mar 2016 17:15:54 18,411 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Only King books I've read are The Long Walk and The Running Man. Both penned under Richard Bachman,
    They are pretty bleak in their assessment of where humanity/society could end up. Worth a read.
  • GuiltySpark 1 Mar 2016 17:59:06 6,638 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TwistedFister wrote:
    In terms of style, Clive Barker is vastly superior.
    What Barker do you recommend? I really dislike King's style, though I did enjoy The Shining.
  • Scimarad 1 Mar 2016 18:00:53 8,893 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @TwistedFister

You and me are opposites:)

I love the big ideas of Clive Barker but I much prefer King's style. Barker just makes everything revolting, grotesque and/or about sex! King is just some guy telling you a story in a very down to earth way.

Love Imajica and Weaveworld despite this, though.
  • rockavitch 1 Mar 2016 18:39:41 742 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Not a King fan overall although The Running Man and The Stand are contenders for ny favourite books of all time. I think he's overrated but when he gets it right I can't fault him.
  • Murbs 1 Mar 2016 19:09:57 23,422 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    Love Imajica and Weaveworld
    My very favourite Barker
  • robthehermit 1 Mar 2016 19:14:43 5,359 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Murbs wrote:
    Scimarad wrote:
    Love Imajica and Weaveworld
    My very favourite Barker
    Both classics.
  • Juz 1 Mar 2016 19:53:18 2,617 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Another vote here for Imajica; stunning.

I properly used to love Stephen King, until...Rose Madder or thereabouts, and then he just seemed to auto-cannibalise himself from there on in.

Cell was fucking dreadful.
  • Reviewer_ 1 Mar 2016 21:48:30 354 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    His more recent stuff is good again, especially his crime ones.
  • dfunked 1 Mar 2016 22:06:22 3,643 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TwistedFister wrote:
    So.....Fiddler's Elbow has been confirmed for the role of Roland. Not happy about that!
    McConaughey is a pretty smashing choice for Flagg, though... I've been googling for updates on the casting regularly, so Elba has kind of settled with me now. He's a great actor, and I'm interested to see what he brings to the role for old long, tall and ugly.
    Still keen to see who they get for people like Odetta (Eddie is a pretty easy one to cast, especially if they just use their common sense and pick Aaron Paul)

Edited by dfunked at 22:07:13 01-03-2016
  • dfunked 1 Mar 2016 22:32:17 3,643 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @TwistedFister
    It doesn't have to be verbatim, and if it did I'd be a little worried (King's cameo towards the end... WTF!)
    There's just too much material for them to cover as it is, so I'm not about to cry over a jarring bit racism.

If they can't get the rights for Hey Jude, I'll be upset though!!

Edited by dfunked at 22:32:44 01-03-2016
  • anephric 1 Mar 2016 23:02:44 1,717 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think everything King wrote up to The Talisman, give or take, ranges from at worst average to pretty fucking amazing - Salem's Lot is brilliant, and The Dead Zone is one of my favourite novels.

I don't mind the first couple of Dark Tower books, particularly the first (especially before he rewrote it), but they rapidly turn into shit.

Early Clive Barker I absolutely adore, but after he went to LA and wrote tumescent crap for the US market, I rapidly lost interest.

Edited by anephric at 23:03:03 01-03-2016
  • ubergine 2 Mar 2016 01:31:15 5,575 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think I read a Peter Straub novel one day and was never able to sit through a Stephen King novel again. He writes teen fiction that's always 300 pages too long.

I remember I skipped 200 pages in The Tommyknockers and absolutely nothing had happened.
  • stryker1121 2 Mar 2016 02:43:47 1,222 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you're new to King, start with some of his shorter stuff (Pet Semetery, Misery) or a short-story collection like Skeleton Crew or Night Shift.

Of his newer output, 11.22.63 and Full Dark, No Stars are quite good.

Speaking of Barker, I was massively disappointed with Scarlet Gospels. Barker manages to make a Dragonball Z fight between Pinhead and Satan himself boring. It seems whole reams of pages were removed, as characters are introduced and leave the scene without fanfare. If I'm not mistaken, the book was supposed to an uber-long epic, but came to about 350 pages. If that's true, then the gaps in the narrative are evident.
  • Gremmoo 2 Mar 2016 03:17:37 2,582 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    11.22.63 is superb. Mr. Mercedes is good, but Finders Keepers was decidedly average. I'm not convinced about him going down the "trilogy of books" route with his non-horror stuff now.
  • Dougs 2 Mar 2016 06:49:43 76,954 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    His early stuff and his short stories are magnificent. Magnificent stories anyway, the writing less so at times but he can tell a tale.
  • Trowel 2 Mar 2016 08:02:16 19,809 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What format will the movie take? I hope it's a trilogy at the very least, though suspect they will cut most of the best part of the series (Wolves of the Calla).

Not sure about Elba, not world weary enough, too cheeky. Viggo Mortensen would have been the obvious choice, but I can understand wanting to distance any association with LOTR.

I think we have a dedicated thread for the movie BTW.
  • Mola_Ram 2 Mar 2016 08:09:03 13,056 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Matthew McConaughey as Flagg is a good choice. I don't really care about Roland not being white.

What about the other characters? It's a bit obvious, but I would love Aaron Paul as Eddie, and Michonne from The Walking Dead as Susannah.
  • dfunked 2 Mar 2016 08:35:34 3,643 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Trowel
    Sounds like they're going to be skipping the gunslinger and condensing the next two books into the first film, then taking it from there based on popularity.
    There may be a separate TV series for Wizard and Glass, but that's not definite yet...

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/29/dark-tower-rises-stephen-king-idris-elba-and-matthew-mcconaughey
  • Trowel 2 Mar 2016 13:17:25 19,809 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @dfunked Thanks. Interesting that they are considering a complementary TV miniseries for the origin stories, that could work really well. Best not get ahead of myself, there's still part of me that refuses to believe the movie is finally happening!
  • JYM60 2 Mar 2016 14:13:16 17,193 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    11.22.63 is the only King book I've read, and it was honestly one of the best books I've ever read.
    Though feel free to take that with a grain of salt, coming from someone who only reads shite like Grisham, Patterson, Goosebumps.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last

Next

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.