Stephen King Page 5

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• spamdangled 1 Jun 2012 23:41:47 27,356 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Great, but fucking depressing!

Driving through the mist, David returns home to find it destroyed and his wife dead. Heartbroken he drives the group south, glimpsing signs of destruction. The group encounters a gigantic tentacled beast, hundreds of feet tall, that casually strides past them. Eventually they run out of gas and pull over, disheartened that they hadn't seen any other survivors. While Billy is sleeping the four adults discuss their fate and decide that there is no point in going on. With four bullets left in the gun and five people in the car, David shoots Amanda, Dan, Irene and his son. Distraught, and determined to die, David exits the vehicle in anguish. He turns towards a loud approaching rumble and out of the mist comes a self-propelled artillery vehicle, followed by a squad of soldiers equipped with NBC suits and flamethrowers. The mist recedes and several trucks of soldiers and survivors pass David. Among them is the woman from the supermarket that no one would help and her two young children. Realizing that they were so close to rescue and that he just killed four people including his own son needlessly, a distraught David falls to his knees screaming while soldiers look on in confusion.

The Mist was also retroactively added to the Dark Tower mythos, like most of King's work.

Edited by darkmorgado at 23:44:56 01-06-2012

Edited by darkmorgado at 23:46:15 01-06-2012

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Deleted user 1 June 2012 23:50:29
    @darkmorgado No way - theres a film ? I feel like such a twat for always thinking that they should make a film of that book and I nearly said it again when I mentioned it in my post.

Please tell me its good - as much as I enjoyed The Langoliers for some strange reason - I don't think I could hack watching the Mist equivalent of that (or Tommyknockers for that matter).

OMG - I'm reading your wiki link now and the Amazon reviews - it sounds like they did a good job. I cannot believe there is a film of this although to be honest, I'm a cheapskate and hardly ever keep up to date on whats new. And done by Frank Darabont - quality !! Cheers darkmorgado

Edited by oldgregg at 23:54:15 01-06-2012
  • spamdangled 1 Jun 2012 23:53:09 27,356 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's a bloody brilliant film. Trust me. It's up there with Misery as one of the best King adaptations ever made (from his horror stable).

Get it here

Edited by darkmorgado at 23:54:32 01-06-2012

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Deleted user 2 June 2012 00:02:05
    @darkmorgado Cheers. You've made my day, as if you couldn't tell !

Hhmmm to The Dark Tower stuff - talk about judging a book by its cover, I've never been drawn to the Dark Tower because of the Gunslinger imagery. Can't see how it would be able to incorporate anything from The Mist but that because I haven't read the DT series :-P I'm interested now.
  • spamdangled 2 Jun 2012 00:05:08 27,356 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dark Tower is largely an exercise in self-indulgence. There were three books in the early 80s, then he started retroactively including everything he had every written into the mythos. Even salem's lot is included now.

The whole "everything must now be part of the dark tower!" thing started in Insomnia with the introduction of the Crimson King.

After that, every DT novel found more and more tenuous ways to tie every single past book into the mythos to the degree that it's now officially considered to be a multiverse.

Edited by darkmorgado at 00:07:03 02-06-2012

• desirous 2 Jun 2012 00:26:37 85 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Dark Tower is largely an exercise in self-indulgence. There were three books in the early 80s, then he started retroactively including everything he had every written into the mythos. Even salem's lot is included now.

Haha I'm sure I even read he made a personal appearance? I mean ffs talk about about washing professional dignity away.
  • spamdangled 2 Jun 2012 00:31:35 27,356 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Madgod_Dc wrote:
    i am watching the shining. i had forgotten how awesome it is. must get a copy of misery.

"Here's Johny.."
    The film is a travesty. King has disowned it. It has nothing to do with the book.

• Load_2.0 2 Jun 2012 00:44:41 19,353 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Dark Tower is largely an exercise in self-indulgence.
    Do you actually read what you cut and paste?
  • Load_2.0 2 Jun 2012 00:47:56 19,353 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Please also invite these two retards into your pelican group so their idiotic drivel doesn't taint the forum any longer.
  • DFawkes 2 Jun 2012 00:55:22 23,037 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You can't generally sue if you've signed away the rights (depending on the specifics), plus there's the fact he's not usually the type - as far as King is concerned, no film no matter how different can erase his book from existence, so why fret about it?

He didn't disown it as such, he just didn't like it as he didn't like the fact the supernatural elements of the hotel were downplayed so much, making it a bad conversion in his eyes. I can kind of see his point, but I still think it's a good film :)

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• spamdangled 2 Jun 2012 01:13:59 27,356 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Madgod_Dc

Becuase he had already sold the rights.

• desirous 2 Jun 2012 01:47:55 85 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:

He didn't disown it as such, he just didn't like it as he didn't like the fact the supernatural elements of the hotel were downplayed so much, making it a bad conversion in his eyes. I can kind of see his point, but I still think it's a good film :)
    It's pretty ironic though, his best regarded film adaptaion is something he hates? He is obviously being unreaonable in this. He took the money for it. Kubric one of the greatest thought directors put his on own spin on it, and film is a totally different media to books.

If he cared as much as he's bitched he should have either directed it himself or turned down the money.
  • yegon 2 Jun 2012 08:53:28 5,300 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    11/22/63 had a good ending, a rarity in King books. Apparently, he got the idea of the ending from his son.

DT ended well too I think, although I didn't think that way immediately. Much like the Sopranos, it took a couple of days of thinking back to it until the dawn of realisation that, actually, that was great and made perfect sense.

Edited by yegon at 08:54:01 02-06-2012
  • spamdangled 2 Jun 2012 09:52:25 27,356 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    desirous wrote:
    It's pretty ironic though, his best regarded film adaptaion is something he hates? He is obviously being unreaonable in this. He took the money for it. Kubric one of the greatest thought directors put his on own spin on it, and film is a totally different media to books.

If he cared as much as he's bitched he should have either directed it himself or turned down the money.
    Once you've sold the rights to something you have little say in what comes of it. And it was pretty early in his career when he would have had little experience.

I think it was the Shining that led to him ensuring he has a production/ screenplay credit on pretty much every film adaptation of his work now.

• Rusty_M 2 Jun 2012 11:43:06 4,706 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    desirous wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:

Haha I'm sure I even read he made a personal appearance? I mean ffs talk about about washing professional dignity away.
    aye, that was a bit weird. It's more than just a cameo too. I'm still not sure what I think about that and I've read the series twice, although at least he doesn't paint himself in a brilliant light.

Great ending overall though.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• yegon 2 Jun 2012 12:03:47 5,300 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    These are the DT related books, I've read most of 'em.

Edited by yegon at 12:04:42 02-06-2012
  • Deleted user 11 June 2012 23:33:39
    Finally got the DVD of The Mist and just finished watching it. Amazing. I made my wife read The Mist a few months back and we both couldn't believe how the film just did the book so well. And I'm glad I didn't read the spoiler about the ending above. As well as getting Frank Darabont, we had a good few actors from The Walking Dead too ! It was only seeing them that I saw the similarities between The Mist and The Walking Dead, in terms of how some in a group of people work together and others work against each other. Qualitas.
  • caligari 12 Jun 2012 00:56:26 17,061 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @oldgregg - Totally agree. So much so that I think I'm going to watch it again.
  • Deleted user 12 June 2012 00:58:02
    Anyone remember when Channel 4 had a Stephen King Season nearly each summer.

Yeah The Mist is probably one of Kings best monster horrors committed to film.Though I still love It to bits.

Prefer Kubricks version of the Shining over the godawful King approved one that was closer to the book.Mainly because of this

I can't see them making the Dark tower film anytime soon though. And isn't there a supposed remake of The Stand in development.

Edited by WeakOrbit at 00:58:37 12-06-2012

Edited by WeakOrbit at 00:59:30 12-06-2012
  • spamdangled 12 Jun 2012 04:35:22 27,356 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Mist is totally brilliant. It's almost up there as one of the holy-grail "films that are actually better than the source material".

• Scimarad 12 Jun 2012 05:35:19 8,551 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I did think it was a fantastic adaptation...right up to the ending. I love the doom-laden mystery of the novella ending and the film version just seems OTT AND they appear to destroy the mist itself. I always read that story as a very weird apocalypse.
  • Trowel 12 Jun 2012 07:44:22 17,795 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    WeakOrbit wrote:
    I can't see them making the Dark tower film anytime soon though.
    Supposedly back on track.
  • Trafford 12 Jun 2012 08:07:22 5,807 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finished Under The Dome the other day, not bad at all, it's a long time since I've read a novel that size.

Realized I have 20 odd years of King books to catch up on, quite excited about that.
  • Deleted user 21 June 2012 11:17:33
    Has anyone mentioned that he's working on a sequel to the Shining....!?!?!?!

Dr Sleep

Sounds odd. Immortal RV dwellers who torture psychic kids.

Oh King.
  • jakuande 21 Jun 2012 14:28:39 192 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm half way through reading King's "On Writing" which is brilliant. His voice is full of rough edged charm and, despite selling in the millions, he has a talent for making you feel that he is speaking to you and no one else. His "writing is telepathy" idea is a particular favourite of mine.

I'd forgotten The Mist was based on a Steven King story (it was the reason I decided to watch the movie when I saw it on love film.) I'll have to track down the short story now and see how it measures up. The movie was very well done, I have rarely hated a character as much as I hated that religious woman, and the ending was of course unforgettable.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last