Eurogamer Minecraft Cathedral - Epic Scale Replica of York Minster

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • Batfink 2 Nov 2010 21:41:48 238 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Over the last week or so, a bunch of forumites and I have been working on a massive collaborative construction project on the Forum's Minecraft server. It's a 1:1 scale almost-replica of York Minster, largest medieval cathedral in the UK.

I started by looking up scale drawings/photos on the internet, including a very useful one on the wiki page. I scaled the image in Autocad to fit the 160 meter length of the real building and traced off the columns and walls on a 1m grid. This floorplan ( http://www.extracrispy.co.uk/ym/floorplan.png ) could then be laid out in Minecraft using sand, as 1 minecraft block is 1 cubic meter. I scouted out a suitable place for building using the cartograph map ( http://www.extracrispy.co.uk/ym/cartographer.jpg ) of the world, and several of us got to work levelling the site.

From there, it was mostly a case of me building a single section of the building, then having others copy and repeat the design elsewhere. This method was the reason why I chose a cathedral for the project as it has so many repeating elements. I drew the floor pattern in MSpaint ( http://www.extracrispy.co.uk/ym/floorpattern.png ), using different colours for different materials. Some parts of the building are entirely of others' design - it truly is a collaborative project, just like the real cathedrals of old! However, we were a bit quicker, taking about 2 years of game days/nights, compared to 300 years for the construction of the real York Minster.

Every single block used in construction was 100% legitimate. No materials were spawned by admins. All stone and ore was dug and smelted with dug coal. All trees were grown in an on-site plantation. Stone came from all across the map, from everybody's mining operations. Unfortunately, we were pretty slack about taking in-progress screenshots. (If anyone has some, please add to this thread!)

On with the tour!

West Facade - Traditionally the main entrance to a cathedral. In the real thing, the main entrance is on the South side.

Exterior of the Nave - Flying buttresses and the South Transept where the main entrance is.

South Facade - Main entrance

The Nave and the South Transept

The Nave and the North Transept

The Nave - looking West. Pulpit on the left.

Roof of the crossing - windows in the central tower let light into the middle of the Cathedral.

Floor of the crossing - Looking down from the tower windows, the floor is made from obsidian inlaid with 1/2 blocks and smooth stone. Over 500 obsidian blocks were created in-place using buckets of lava. The crossing pattern uses 49 iron blocks.

The Choir - To the East of the crossing is the church-within-a-church of the Choir.

The Altar - With a solid gold crucifix. A pig says his prayers.

The Chapter House - From the North transept, a vaulted passage leads to the Chapter House, meeting room for priests.

The Chapter House Floor - Inlaid with gold and diamond, edged in brick and more obsidian. This is the richest room in the building.

Chapter House Roof - All the ceilings in the building are vaulted in wood, but the Chapter House has the most elaborate design.

More images:

Tiger Walts' "HDR" composite pictures
    Exterior: http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/Xqb4aWRhahUA_me5m8rVDg?feat=directlink http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/XIyH2-Ie8C7uZGtYb3uLlg?feat=directlink
    Choir & Altar: http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/Gcsjs9UajJRrAkk0TXA4OA?feat=directlink

Video - cheers DDevil! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUd0xMhVT4M

Massive massive thanks to everybody who contributed to the project, no matter how big or small the contribution. When we were clearing the site, I was thinking "Uh oh. I can't see one end from the other. This is far too big. We'll never finish." But it's actually turned out really well. I won't name names, cos I'll probably forget someone, so big yourself up please, cathedral builders :)
  • spamdangled 2 Nov 2010 21:45:16 27,197 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well done to all involved- sorry I missed out on it!

I suggest the Sphinx next :-)

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• MrTomFTW Moderator 2 Nov 2010 21:46:28 36,280 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'll be uploading the video tomorrow night. Ran out of time this evening.

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• brseg 2 Nov 2010 21:47:30 679 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    AMAZING!! tis a beautiful thing (in real life too).
    Even the planning of such a thing would blow my mind.

I like the ones which mine all the raw materials, not generate them.
  • coda 2 Nov 2010 21:49:49 1,868 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What's with all the churches and cathedrals on the server? The server should be a secular!

• monkehhh 2 Nov 2010 21:51:28 3,128 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Insane, excellent work everyone :)
  • Razz 2 Nov 2010 21:51:37 59,994 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wow! That is awesome!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• pinebear 2 Nov 2010 22:15:10 8,565 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    EG minecrafters, you legends! Top job indeed.

• Akari 2 Nov 2010 22:19:22 183 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Impressive.

However the real things usually half covered in scaffolding. ;)
  • LockeTribal 2 Nov 2010 22:24:02 4,443 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Amazing work!
  • Bremenacht 2 Nov 2010 22:24:31 15,753 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That's really good! You need to dig out a crypt now, and hide some monsters in it.

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• meggsy 2 Nov 2010 22:25:19 1,628 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Batfink wrote:I won't name names, cos I'll probably forget someone, so big yourself up please, cathedral builders :)

/Steps up to receive Minecraft Crafting Medal of Minecraftiness.

3DS: 3454-0647-5991

• DFawkes 2 Nov 2010 22:26:49 22,059 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I did contribute a little bit material and something else that I've just discovered may not be as well hidden as I believed ;)

It is incredible though, everyday I saw it there was always so much extra done. Very nicely done.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Trafford 2 Nov 2010 22:32:11 5,270 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Beautiful work.Hats off!
  • Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 2 Nov 2010 22:33:49 4,603 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This is awesome. :D

"sounds like a public school ponce"

• InfiniteFury 2 Nov 2010 22:37:29 864 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Absolutely mental, I doff my cap.

Edit - please make a movie tour.
  • InfiniteFury 2 Nov 2010 22:39:36 864 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you're taking requests for next endeavours, I bet you could all do something lovely with Cambridge....
  • morriss 2 Nov 2010 22:40:41 70,749 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well done.
  • InfiniteFury 2 Nov 2010 22:43:06 864 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm also paricularly moved by your visible-only-from-space monument: 'PiD is a vagina'.
  • Batfink 2 Nov 2010 22:45:46 238 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Poor pid :-D

He could always take it apart himself, so there's only one reasonable conclusion to draw....... :p
  • dsmx 2 Nov 2010 22:56:11 7,412 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just remember people if your going to start suggesting things to build it basically has to made of either grey stone or wood. Otherwise it just won't look right it also has to be less than 160m high preferably much lower so we don't have to mine out a huge hole.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• RedSparrows 2 Nov 2010 22:58:29 20,754 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    i have got to get MC in my life.

bad move, perhaps ^^
  • Batfink 2 Nov 2010 22:59:02 238 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    64m high is the limit, if we build at sea level.
  • VandelayIndustries 2 Nov 2010 23:01:31 1,521 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That is fantastic.

Any idea what you'll attempt next?
  • Batfink 2 Nov 2010 23:05:55 238 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought I'd give Spending Time With My Loved Ones a go...
  • BinaryBob101 2 Nov 2010 23:07:22 21,966 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Pretty bloody amazing. To top that off I suggest the Seven Wonders.

Goose fat is sponsored by:

Lens Flare

• YoshiMcTaggis 2 Nov 2010 23:09:47 2,451 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I like your cathedral, I really do. But, y'know, you're not thinking BIG. Now This guy, he's got a dream and he's going for it.
  • dwalker109 2 Nov 2010 23:10:26 23 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Incredible! Mad props to you all, that is quite beautiful.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 3 Nov 2010 06:46:52 36,280 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Can I have a list of the people that worked on this for the video? Thanks :-)

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Tabasco 3 Nov 2010 07:05:12 5,780 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Great to see it finished now! I was more of a supplier than a builder for this one, not going to cook any stone for a while that's for sure! :D

Awesome work all!
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous