Spelunky (XBLA) Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• daz_john_smith 23 Nov 2012 07:23:40 1,636 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @MrTomFTW
    Throw a bomb so it gets stuck in the web. It won't aggro the spider but will kill it when it goes off. You'll then get a generous reward of money and a free sticky bomb upgrade too.
  • RedSparrows 23 Nov 2012 09:11:33 24,235 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I got this in the sale. I LOVE IT.

It's SO good, and I wasn't expecting it to tickle me as it does.
  • Murbs 23 Nov 2012 10:33:14 22,586 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Paid full price a few weeks back and haven't played it yet. Gutted.
  • Deleted user 23 November 2012 11:06:19
    This finally broke the one page threshold I see.

One of my games of the year without doubt, need to try the last shortcut run again.
  • Lexx87 23 Nov 2012 11:09:34 20,863 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Red it's absolutely wonderful.

I've got as far as getting the last shortcut, that was insane :D

Speak the truth hussy!

• L_Franko Moderator 23 Nov 2012 11:12:23 9,697 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It is a great game and perfect for when you have half hour or so to kill because it is a brilliant pick up and play title. Hard but very rewarding.
  • Popzeus 23 Nov 2012 11:18:58 8,427 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    One day I will complete this game.

One day.

Furthest I've been is 4-3. The temple is just pure design sadism.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• Lexx87 23 Nov 2012 11:22:09 20,863 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The temple is ridiculous.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Popzeus 23 Nov 2012 11:38:40 8,427 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The only thing I've found that can make it marginally easier is to steal Anubis' staff off him and turn it to your advantage, but I only managed to do that once, by accident, when Anubis got killed by a whompy block thing right at the start of 4-1.

• Lexx87 23 Nov 2012 12:32:17 20,863 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought a way through would just be to start from the mines, and very carefully make your way through getting power upped to fuck ready for the temple. Like a jetpack/shotgun combo. With spiky shoes.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Popzeus 23 Nov 2012 12:46:23 8,427 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, probably the only viable option really.

The shortcuts are useful for knowing what you're going to be up against, but starting at the Temple with no extra hearts or weapons or power-ups or cash is pretty much suicide.

• L0cky 23 Nov 2012 12:48:42 1,556 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Popzeus Although pwerful, it's is not as useful as you think; it's really easy to suicide with it :/
  • RedSparrows 23 Nov 2012 13:18:54 24,235 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I love the items, and how you don't know what you'll get.

I got the teleporter and zipped all over the place.

Ended up inside a rock. Oops.
  • Popzeus 23 Nov 2012 13:46:43 8,427 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The good thing with the items is how even the ones that initially don't seem very useful generally turn out to be good for something when you play around with them enough.

• evild_edd 21 Dec 2012 18:20:41 3,198 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Been playing Spelunky over the past few days, having picked it up in the sale a few weeks back. Absolutely loving it. Really grateful that I hadn't read too much about the game, just messing around with the mechanics discovering what does and doesn't work.

Reached the final boss (4-4) a couple of times now but not beaten him yet. Reckon you're better tooling up from the start, which is just beyond my abilities....for the minute!

Favourite moment of the game so far was with the short cut fella saying I needed to bring him the gold key from the caves to open the shortcut to the temple. My first thought was that it was impossible. A couple of hours later, I'd cracked it :0)

Can't recommend enough. Worth it at full price, but truly bargainous if it goes back on sale!

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• teamHAM 21 Dec 2012 18:25:10 3,151 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yep, great little game. I got it full price when it first came out, and I don't regret it.

It's basically the platform version of Dark Souls. Tough but rewarding.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• Bremenacht 28 Jan 2013 14:57:36 19,663 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    evild_edd wrote:
    Favourite moment of the game so far was with the short cut fella saying I needed to bring him the gold key from the caves to open the shortcut to the temple. My first thought was that it was impossible. A couple of hours later, I'd cracked it :0)
    Unnngggghh! Almost managed that earlier! Got down to level 10 (Ice Cave) with just one health left, where I panicked and threw the thing at a yeti that had got too close.

You can guess where it went.

Love it though. I seem to alternate between this and FTL as a favourite 30-minute game.
  • Bremenacht 29 Jan 2013 01:05:51 19,663 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gaaaaah did it again - same fucking level, this time thought I'd chuck a mine to safety only it bounced back, knocked me out and then blew me up. Fucking game I love it.

I'm regularly getting down to the Jungle with the key now. Just shows that it is possible to not get killed early on, if you avoid certain risks. Dark levels still fuck me up though.
  • evild_edd 29 Jan 2013 15:18:04 3,198 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dark levels are a real pest, but when you successfully navigate one the sense of elation almost - almost! - makes getting one worthwhile.

Reaching a certain zen placement with this, and very rarely get annoyed. But I must admit the controller almost went flying earlier when, having fluked a shotgun pickup, bought a jetpack, having 8 hearts, a shit load of bombs and about 70k gold, I unlocked the chest, got into the black market, thought I was home and dry for buying the ankh, and the game hit me with a motherfucking dark level IN THE BLACK MARKET itself!!! Fell onto some spikes for an insta-death losing everything.

Gutting.

I've still yet to complete the game or make it to the city of gold, but I am making progress. Pretty much get to the jungle every time, and the ice levels about one in 7/8 turns. My best runs usually involve me playing the game like CoD (shotgunning everything in sight, taking out every shop keeper), but trying to get through the black market having antagonised the shopkeepers is a nightmare. As such, if I'm having a decent run and racking up the gold I will refrain from my murderous ways in an attempt to buy the ankh.

I'm in need of a less stressful gaming experience though. For that reason I've just installed Dark Souls to my HDD. Hoping it'll act as a soothing balm between Spelunky sessions...

Why look, it's a blog:

• Bremenacht 29 Jan 2013 23:13:51 19,663 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Black Market? I seem to have completely missed that. Another secret!
  • evild_edd 30 Jan 2013 13:08:21 3,198 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Bremenacht
    Black Market? I seem to have completely missed that. Another secret!
    Quite a big secret TBF. Without going to it, you can't buy/steal the ankh which means you can't get inside the totem thing or ultimately enter the Golden City.

A quick Google search will take you through the necessary steps. I've enjoyed playing the game, and figuring out the quirky systems for myself, but some of these secrets I'd have never realised without some online assistance.

Why look, it's a blog:

• Deleted user 20 March 2013 12:57:53
    I've been giving this game a lot of love over the past day and I've got to say its absolutely fantastic.

It's got that one more go factor. Keep sharing my time between this and the new GOW demo.

Love it love it love it!!!!
  • TOOTR 20 Mar 2013 18:02:21 9,648 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Loving this too. Hard little mother.

I WILL beat it!

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Danger Mouse reboot worries me a great deal.

• Deleted user 20 March 2013 18:07:03
    I've managed to get out of the mines on 3 occasions, each time I've died within a minute of being in there grrrrrrrr

How do I use the tunnel mans short cut?

I love how the game throws new things your way every time you play. Fantastic stuff

I will say this to anyone who's tried it and can't see what the fuss is about. Stick at it, it has more layers than an onion!
  • Bremenacht 20 Mar 2013 22:50:07 19,663 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    NeverEatYellowSnow wrote:
    How do I use the tunnel mans short cut?
    Do as he asks.

Or are you asking where it is? If so, start the game and keep heading left.
  • Kid_Icarus 20 Mar 2013 23:04:20 555 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    And the nominations for most retarded death...

Threw a rock which bounced back, knocking me off the edge and into an arrow trap.

Tried to throw a sticky bomb onto the ceiling, but missed so it fell back down and stuck to me.

And finally, fell too far, got stunned on an altar and sacrificed myself to Kali. I had a jet pack as well.

It has not been a good day. :(
  • Bremenacht 20 Mar 2013 23:43:23 19,663 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :)

Dieing is so much fun. Don't worry though - it gets even more entertaining later.
  • Kid_Icarus 20 Mar 2013 23:53:40 555 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've finished the game before and damn near got to the city of gold yesterday, but today I got nowhere and died in the most moronic ways possible. Really annoying.
  • Pixi 5 Apr 2013 18:52:54 1 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Love this game. =)

Disclaimer: I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.

• Murbs 5 Apr 2013 20:57:47 22,586 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This on the Vita = potential goty
  • Page

of 3 First / Last