NaNoWriMo - National Novel Writing Month - you got 30 days chaps!

• Page

of 60 First / Last

Previous
  • sport 1 Nov 2010 16:11:34 12,043 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Heard about this on Radio 4 today. Thought the would-be writers here might use it as a bit of motivation - 30 days to write and submit a novel - best get cracking.

http://www.nanowrimo.org
  • Deleted user 1 November 2010 16:22:00
    Ahh, speed writing. One more way for bad writers to not give a fuck about editing and just stamp their half thought-through werewolf/zombie/vampire romantic steampunk comedy dirge onto a site.
  • sport 1 Nov 2010 16:24:58 12,043 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    But Ian Rankin said this morning it that you should forget about the editing and revision - just let the ideas flow from your pen and get it on paper.

Sounded wonderful!!!
  • simiankid 1 Nov 2010 16:25:13 594 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Ahh, speed writing. One more way for bad writers to not give a fuck about editing and just stamp their half thought-through werewolf/zombie/vampire romantic steampunk comedy dirge onto a site.

+1 for positivity there, chap. Nobody's forcing you to read the results, and events like these might get some people writing who might otherwise never have started. Hell, your next favourite author could be among the ranks of these folk.

• spamdangled 1 Nov 2010 16:26:39 27,197 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hmmm that would be a lot of writing!

IIRC, Dean Koontz wrote "Intensity" in 24 hours

and it showed

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• spamdangled 1 Nov 2010 16:28:18 27,197 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Stuff written in this way ends up very stream-of-consciousness, especially if you're pissed while writing. I tried it once. It can actually lead to pretty good stuff - think American Psycho.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• MetalDog 1 Nov 2010 16:31:46 23,706 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You should certainly forget the editing (in the main) on the first draft - way too many people get bogged down 'perfecting' their first few chapters and never actually finish.

NaNoWriMo is probably a good way to practice gagging the internal editor for the length of a first draft. You're unlikely to write a fantastic book, but you'll have fun just banging something out and you'll probably get /something/ you can use out of the exercise.

I've never done a nano myself - often meant to, often forgot. I think I'll do this one, just to stick two fingers up at the literary snobbery, meme! =)

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Deleted user 1 November 2010 16:36:04
    simiankid wrote:
    meme wrote:

+1 for positivity there, chap. Nobody's forcing you to read the results, and events like these might get some people writing who might otherwise never have started. Hell, your next favourite author could be among the ranks of these folk.

It's not a bad thing in itself, just that it makes bad writers even worse. Almost every time I read through nanowrimo from the past it's 70% carbon copies of the flavour of the month, 25% meaningless pretentious garbage, 4% 'the novel i've been planning in my head for 10 years so isn't really done in a month' and 1% decent stuff.
  • simiankid 1 Nov 2010 16:36:31 594 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Stuff written in this way ends up very stream-of-consciousness, especially if you're pissed while writing.

I wonder how many folk are going to end up discovering repressed memories. The therapists must love this time of year.
  • Deleted user 1 November 2010 16:38:16
    Anyone else doing this? I knocked off 6k of rubbish this morning, with no werewolf/zombie/vampire romantic steampunk elements to speak of.

EDIT: But it is meaningless pretentious garbage.
  • LeoliansBro 1 Nov 2010 16:39:06 41,863 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It was a dark and stormy cocktail, with lime.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• LeoliansBro 1 Nov 2010 16:40:29 41,863 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    And 'NaNoWriMo' can absolutely, completely and unequivocably fuck right off.

• MetalDog 1 Nov 2010 16:40:29 23,706 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'll start tonight. It'll be awful, because I never end up where I set out to end up and won't have time to go back and make the start fit the finish =)

I have no idea yet what it'll be about, but that will still happen.

• mcmonkeyplc 1 Nov 2010 16:42:40 38,857 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    SPACE OPERA!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• simplerotation 1 Nov 2010 16:42:41 332 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm doing this, I've been planning for awhile but still have no idea what I'm going to write, it will probably be drivel, but hey, it will be something. I published quite regularly when I was at uni (short stories, poems etc) so I'm hoping this will kick start me! :)
  • LeoliansBro 1 Nov 2010 16:44:23 41,863 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Here's my first paragraph then.

It was a dark and stormy cocktail, with lime. The ice had all but gone in the warmth of the bar and he wished he'd gone for a mulled wine instead. The rain dripped and slithered down the window and collected on the softening unpainted wood of the bench they'd left outside. Too late to save it now, it'll warp and crack for sure. He swirled the thickening liquid around in the half-full glass and took half of it into his mouth in one, slow pull, wishing the Coke was still fizzy. Then he set the glass down on the coaster and adjusted his clown mask.

• Deleted user 1 November 2010 16:49:35
    My genuine first scene. My genuine first scene (click novel info)

Feel free to mock my 1) Spelling 2) Grammar 3) Utter inability to write coherent sentences.
  • MetalDog 1 Nov 2010 16:49:49 23,706 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Leolian'sBro

You had to edit, didn't you? ;)

106 down - 49 894 to go!

• LeoliansBro 1 Nov 2010 16:52:55 41,863 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, I spelt 'unpainted' wrong and changed 'warm bar' as it made it sound like someone had filled the bar with ice...

Vanity - definitely my favourite sin.

• simiankid 1 Nov 2010 16:56:06 594 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    meme wrote:
    simiankid wrote:
    meme wrote:

It's not a bad thing in itself, just that it makes bad writers even worse. Almost every time I read through nanowrimo from the past it's 70% carbon copies of the flavour of the month, 25% meaningless pretentious garbage, 4% 'the novel i've been planning in my head for 10 years so isn't really done in a month' and 1% decent stuff.

Nothing's going to stop bad writers, and encouraging folk almost always has some positive effect (if not for the readers of their stuff, at least for them). Where's the value in complaining about it? You wouldn't read it if you didn't think there was something in getting people writing. You are interested to some degree, so don't be snide.

/realises he's coming across all passive-aggressive lefty about this.

Ok, so mine's going to be about vampire terrorists who attack London via the medium of pop after being forced by the recession to drink cranberry juice.

'Fangs bared to the mike, Gary screeched out the songs climax, dampening underwear for metres around. Then he stalked to the back of the stage, eyes smouldering, to drink a refreshing cranberry juice.'
  • simiankid 1 Nov 2010 16:58:21 594 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Leolian'sBro wrote:

It was a dark and stormy cocktail, with lime. The ice had all but gone in the warmth of the bar and he wished he'd gone for a mulled wine instead. The rain dripped and slithered down the window and collected on the softening unpainted wood of the bench they'd left outside. Too late to save it now, it'll warp and crack for sure. He swirled the thickening liquid around in the half-full glass and took half of it into his mouth in one, slow pull, wishing the Coke was still fizzy. Then he set the glass down on the coaster and adjusted his clown mask.

This is ace! How long has the dark and stormy line been in your head?

• Load_2.0 1 Nov 2010 16:58:54 18,163 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I am going to write a 300 page sex scene.

• spamdangled 1 Nov 2010 17:04:11 27,197 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    simiankid wrote:

'Fangs bared to the mike, Gary screeched out the songs climax, dampening underwear for metres around. Then he stalked to the back of the stage, eyes smouldering, to drink a refreshing cranberry juice.'

Isn't it a bit soon to be writing about Gary Glitter seducing kids in nappies?

• simiankid 1 Nov 2010 17:07:54 594 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    simiankid wrote:

Isn't it a bit soon to be writing about Gary Glitter seducing kids in nappies?

An unintended meaning, for sure, but whatever gets me that six-figure advance. I'm sure the Daily Fail readers will lap it up.
  • Load_2.0 1 Nov 2010 17:08:18 18,163 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Starting now.

His gigantic engorged cock reared upwards, like it was an angry German bratwurst attached to a guitar string operated by a blind puppeteer. He shrieked with delight, a high whinnying noise, at the sight of her gigantic breasts like two cooked turkeys with the wings and legs ripped off.

He strode towards her thrusting occasionally as he crossed the short distance from the bog to the bed, if his erect manhood didn't signal his intent, his eyes would.

"Time to get fucked" her murmured gently in her ear.

This shit writes itself!

• MetalDog 1 Nov 2010 17:09:34 23,706 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    =D

• Jeepers 1 Nov 2010 17:10:13 13,158 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Load "$" wrote:
    Starting now.

Mowgli's gigantic engorged cock reared upwards, like it was an tiny German bratwurst attached to a guitar string operated by a blind puppeteer. Mowgli shrieked with delight, a high whinnying noise, at the sight of Smuggo's gigantic breasts like two cooked turkeys with the wings and legs ripped off.

Mowgli strode towards Smuggo thrusting occasionally as he crossed the short distance from the bog to the bed, if his erect manhood didn't signal his intent, his eyes would.

"Time to get fucked" Mowgli murmured gently in Smuggo's ear.

This shit writes itself!

You're not wrong!
  • spamdangled 1 Nov 2010 17:11:36 27,197 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Load "$" wrote:
    Starting now.

His gigantic engorged cock reared upwards, like it was an angry German bratwurst attached to a guitar string operated by a blind puppeteer.

That has to be the most bizarre sentence I have ever read. And I've read the entire output of Brett-Easton Ellis and Chuck Palahniuk.

• LeoliansBro 1 Nov 2010 17:12:56 41,863 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    simiankid wrote:
    Leolian'sBro wrote:

This is ace! How long has the dark and stormy line been in your head?

The first half, for about 15 years since I stole it from Snoopy. The cocktail bit, for about 15 seconds before I wrote it.

• LeoliansBro 1 Nov 2010 17:13:32 41,863 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Load "$" wrote:
    Starting now.

His gigantic engorged cock reared upwards, like it was an angry German bratwurst attached to a guitar string operated by a blind puppeteer. He shrieked with delight, a high whinnying noise, at the sight of her gigantic breasts like two cooked turkeys with the wings and legs ripped off.

He strode towards her thrusting occasionally as he crossed the short distance from the bog to the bed, if his erect manhood didn't signal his intent, his eyes would.

"Time to get fucked" her murmured gently in her ear.

This shit writes itself!

Also more of this \o/

• Page

of 60 First / Last

Previous