Way of the Samurai 4

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • oldschoolsoviet 28 Oct 2010 23:57:20 5,549 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Happy days !

More crazy, idiotic, hilarious and mad adventures on the horizon. Should be as mental as ever.
  • Rauha 28 Oct 2010 23:58:26 4,271 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cool. Need to finish off the 3rd one.
  • oldschoolsoviet 1 Nov 2010 19:16:59 5,549 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Screens

It's like Technicolour Dreamcoat on acid. Like Varnish Man and Sailor Boy.
    Madness.
  • oldschoolsoviet 23 Feb 2011 11:58:09 5,549 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Way of the Samurai 4: 8, 8, 8, 9 in this weeks Famitsu.

Typical WotS. Translation and eventual US import GOOOOOO !

/waits 6+ months
  • Deleted user 23 February 2011 12:18:00
    was 3 even good ? I enjoyed Way of the Samurai 1 and 2 yet they reviewed poorly and now 3 was reviewed even worse. any good ?
  • oldschoolsoviet 23 Feb 2011 14:02:34 5,549 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Brillant fun, thread here.

There's just nothing else like the series, absolutely serious to batshit mental in the blink of an eye, and just solid, bread-and-butter gameplay. Always worth a punt.
  • Deleted user 23 February 2011 21:57:39
    I am very excited about this. I meant to get around to WotS 3, but did not - I guess it's very cheap now but I already have a shitload of games. But if the 4th is better I'll certainly get it, as it sounds like such batshit insanity.
  • Nozzinja 24 Feb 2011 21:00:24 205 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Stompy wrote:
    I am very excited about this. I meant to get around to WotS 3, but did not - I guess it's very cheap now but I already have a shitload of games. But if the 4th is better I'll certainly get it, as it sounds like such batshit insanity.

I love the WotS series and have played them all, and quite frankly WotS 3 was a disappointment. You didn't miss much!
  • oldschoolsoviet 29 May 2012 10:15:18 5,549 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Time to get excited yet ?

Digital download only for the US (Summer, so next few months) and an EU release TBC, probably to assess whether the DD works, or to revert to a physical copy.

From the wiki:

"Proof of Life"
    Player's actions will affect the game world in the next replay. For example, if players killed a lot of town people in the last game, there will be more guards to hunt them down. Like Way of the Samurai 2, there are many foreigners in the game; but unlike the previous game, at the beginning your samurai will not be able to understand what they say (the texts will appear as "?????"). Players can convince the Shogunate to open a school that teach foreign language, and in later games you will be able talk to foreigners.

"Crossroads Killing"
    When connected to PSN, character data will be automatically uploaded and transferred into other players' game worlds, where he would appear as a wandering samurai (NPC), and players can defeat him to obtain the custom sword that another player created. This is called online Tsujigiri.

Two features that really stand out, and should lead to more variable path taking. The less said about sneaking into houses to get your end away, and the utterly bizarre torture stuff (spinning wheel in vid) the better. But it wouldn't be WotS without the surreal and sublime mix, and hopefully a good dash of Japlish !

Thank god for US accounts and e-mailed PSN cards. Roll on summer !
  • oldschoolsoviet 22 Aug 2012 11:20:02 5,549 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Erm, IT'S OUT !

$39.99 on the US Store, 4.5GB. Think I'll be downloading this seeing as the EU release co-incides with a certain dubstep shooting simulator.
  • WoodenSpoon 22 Aug 2012 14:22:36 12,303 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Are these in any way related to the Kengo and Bushido Blade games? I can't tell if they're effectively the same but with costumes, or something else entirely.
  • oldschoolsoviet 24 Aug 2012 12:02:31 5,549 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nope. It's definitely not just about the fighting, and no relation to those games.

It's.....difficult to describe. It's a short, multiple plot/threads/endings game, working out how to progress and earn the different endings. Lots of fighting and sword styles to unlock (including a OHK difficulty !), actions having an affect/consequence, mini-games and just a pinch of silliness.
  • Capn_Franky 24 Aug 2012 12:45:18 61 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I hope this comes out for the 360, the third was a game I enjoyed every minute of and I spend a lot playing it. What do you recon the chances are?

It's games like this and Tokyo jungle that makes me wish I had a PS3.
  • Innes 24 Aug 2012 12:46:15 119 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    loadtimes made me hate yakuza, am i to expect the same level of fuckdruggery from jap devs with this pile of shit. I can estimate yes. Walk to building LOADTIME. exit builidng LOADTIME. Absolutely unacceptable in this day and age when Sleeping dogs lets me run around Hong Kong relatively load free (on PC)
  • oldschoolsoviet 24 Aug 2012 14:02:04 5,549 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Capn_Franky

It's 18 months old with no hint of even a JP 360 port. No chance.
  • santashi 24 Aug 2012 14:11:58 5,167 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @oldschoolsoviet Did you go with the US download then? If so, how are you finding it? Not that I imagine I wouldn't enjoy it. :D

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• Capn_Franky 24 Aug 2012 22:46:46 61 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @oldschoolsoviet Tis a shame, but didn't WOTS3 release on the 360 way after the PS3? Hopefully it sells well and these games get an earlier release over here next time, such fun games.
  • oldschoolsoviet 24 Aug 2012 23:14:21 5,549 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Slow, Highlands internetz plus a 'fair usage policy' means it'll be Monday before I get cracking. Actually 4.9GB on my list. Grrr.

As for WotS3, it launched on both platforms on the same day. It seems it didn't sell anywhere near enough copies, and the 360 is still niche in JP. Fans of WotS have carried over from PS2>PS3, and supposedly just about breaks even versus translation/production costs in US/EU.

It'll be interesting to see what happens regarding the DL-only US/DL+physical EU decisions and the resulting figures.

As for me, I watched a few Youtube vids.

Style. He got it.
    Open your borders. Alllll of them.

Monday afternoon will be glorious. ED: Couldn't wait ! vvv /hopes for no throttling

Edited by oldschoolsoviet at 20:32:33 26-08-2012
  • oldschoolsoviet 26 Aug 2012 18:58:12 5,549 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    /drumroll

WAY OF THE SAMURAI 4

Starring:

Jet Jenkins

Melinda Megamelons (I shit you not !)

The fishing hero !

Special guest stars:

Mr Ed as ghostly evil spirit "Revenge Horse" (again, not joking)

DELICIOUS TIME guy

Some Hitler fan (comedy moustaches galore !)

Absolutely batshit insane. It's always been a crazy series, but as Megamelons shows, the translators must've been drunk off their asses the weekend they worked on this.

So, one coastal Japanese town, Amihara. You've got the evil chief magistrate and his sadist triplet daughters, a British princess and her envoy, and the cool bros xenophobic rebellion engaged in in a three way power struggle. Typical WotS, but with an all new in game chart showing ALL possible events and paths, hidden by ??? until unlocked, in a calendar fashion. VERY handy.

Sword styles are no longer, replaced with stances. Unlock moves based on your stance, and use them with any sword. Eventually you'll be able to create your own movesets and attacks, from 50 odd stance lists, including high/middle/low/shinobi/dual, unarmed (more substantial/viable than 3) and......gunplay ! :o I've certainly seen a revolver or two, a cue from Samurai Western methinks. And where better to practice than your very own dojo, recruiting pupils and training, with inclusive cranky ol' bastard who resents giving it to you.

Missions are more frequent, from passer-bys and faction reps alike, and are less stringent, giving you a few days to complete, a vast improvement. Seems there's quite a few sub-stories throughout too, with the recurring female sensei, and ever-present blacksmith.....wait. That's not Dojima ! Where's Dojima ?! Crying in the cemetery.....?

Fewer minigames thankfully, no vegetable dodging or fish chopping hoorah, but there's a selection of gambling and fishing, and the utter filth of dating (read: breaking and entering, sexual assault) and those torture chamber games for when you've been really naughty......

The online aspect is simple but effective, occasionally player characters will be loaded into your game, providing a better challenge and the chance of their sword if succesfully beaten. Get killed, and the aforementioned Revenge Horse will allow you to rechallenge them. You've not seen anything like it.

And finally, a special mention to the translation work involving the NPC English-speaking characters. As mentioned, their speech bubbles merely show "???????" as your samurai doesn't understand them. Get the school open, and their wonderous grammar becomes all too apparent.

British folk abroad, in a fucking nutshell. Acquire, Spike, XSeed (and eventually NIS) I salute you, you damn fools.

Beware though, load times, tearing and slowdown are all here. Graphical whores should avoid like the plague.

/ventures past day 4
  • santashi 26 Aug 2012 22:47:38 5,167 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hahaha, that all just sounds too mad not to love. October will be a good month... Helpful gameplay notes too, thanks! The chart sounds like a bit of a godsend. I wish a few more games did something like that.

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• Oh-Bollox 26 Aug 2012 23:24:03 5,423 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A clear must-buy.
  • oldschoolsoviet 3 Sep 2012 16:57:44 5,549 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ....198....199.....200 !

/wipes sweat from brow

Hullo ! Time for a quick update, seeing as I've been hammering this for a week. Killing 200+ enemies in one epic fight this morning, around 2 hours work ! The secret stuff is easy to find, but nails to complete.

Anyway, yep, a lot easier to navigate the events, especially now that your vitality controls the passage of time. It's a bit like a stamina gauge, keeping it topped up to prevent time forwarding. You can actually hold it at a particular time rather easily to complete side quests indefinitely, and sleep to specific times to witness events. Upcoming locked events detail who/where/when, and there's even hints, less cryptic than before, for the hidden stuff. Best system yet.

As for characters and customisation, I've made a few. From the tasteful, to the serious, and to the current, Mashima Goro, curiosity trader. :D Compared to this monstrosity, I'm rather straight-laced in my use of the editor. There's a blue kimono'd samurai and a shady Prajna member of mine out there too.

Why so many ? The whole Dark Souls-esque online system. Post-completion, they'll show up in other folk's games, in subsequent playthroughs of your own, and provide a nice distraction, not to mention better weapons. Certainly been one-shotted by a couple of them ! All it needed was an overall leaderboard, or a method to track your own characters. An interesting experiment that will hopefully be expanded on in future itinerations.

Story/plots are actually decent, with a slight OTT tendency towards the end of some, and the dialogue choices are as deadpan and bizzare as usual. This particular gent is a favourite. As for the side stories, that's where the really crazy stuff appears. Only unlocked around half of the endings so far (35 hours), so there's plenty left to uncover.

Do you protect Japan and it's heritage, side with the shogunate and it's greedy, blood thirsty chief minister, help the English establish their presence, or find the hidden plots with various twists ? Not to mention the mysterious Black Masks, the Amihara Eight, and what the fuck is in that stew....?!

......201......202...... ;)

Edited by oldschoolsoviet at 15:30:23 04-09-2012
  • Oh-Bollox 3 Sep 2012 22:57:40 5,423 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ...Well, I'm glad it hasn't gone completely mental.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next