Google Nexus Two

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • pauleyc 27 Oct 2010 10:19:03 4,387 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just a single unconfirmed rumour at the moment but still: A second Google phone out before Christmas?

After a year with a HTC device I have to say that while Sense is a good solution (the upcoming enhancements might move it into "great" territory), other apps like Launcher Pro and Beautiful Widgets are even better. I'm also disappointed with HTC's approach to system upgrades - waiting months for them to push a version compatible with Sense isn't fun.

No details regarding this device at this point but other rumours suggest the hardware could be coming from Samsung. I'm hoping for a nice but not-too-big screen, solid battery and an aluminium shell, none of that plastic Sammy nonsense. Oh, and no capacitive buttons this time please.
  • JohnnyWashnGo 27 Oct 2010 10:24:44 1,544 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Love my N1 but those touchscreen buttons were a huge mistake. Because of that, I had to get a desire for use as a day to day phone.

I wouldn't have a problem with the N2 being made my HTC. Those guys are making some top drawer hardware these days. Would be less excited with Samsung or Motorola hardware.
  • presh 27 Oct 2010 10:34:24 1,221 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I very much doubt that Google would do a deal with Samsung and not HTC for this. No way it would be Nokia - that's just a mad suggestion ;-)
  • pauleyc 27 Oct 2010 10:40:26 4,387 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nokia? Ha! :-)

But Motorola...now that's more probable. Maybe even a physical keyboard (not that there's anything wrong with a virtual on-screen one)?
  • crashVoodoo 27 Oct 2010 15:12:49 3,821 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    i hope this turns out to be true. just sold my hero in prep of my next phone

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• pauleyc 29 Oct 2010 10:33:25 4,387 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    More rumours about Samsung being the manufacturer.

It's black and shiny, built with glossy plastic. Up close, though, it's "got this curve to it." While the screen, which our source thinks is the same 4-inch AMOLED affair from the Galaxy series, is flat, the front is "sort of concave" with hard edges. And the back is curved. The tapering makes it feel thinner than Galaxy S, though it might be about the same thickness. "It feels really similar to the Galaxy S in a lot ways."

Big, plastic Samsung slab with capacitive buttons. I think my interest level went from 10 to 0. :-\
  • crashVoodoo 29 Oct 2010 13:34:04 3,821 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    same here, i was expecting some leap like the original nexus was. If it is really just a retooled galaxy s with a front camera well thats a bit crap.

i can see a desire z in my future.

• El_MUERkO 29 Oct 2010 15:40:01 16,840 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    i don't get the sudden love for 4" screens, they're too big to sit loose in a pocket without worrying about fucking up the screen :/
  • Deleted user 11 November 2010 21:54:33
    Nexus S

Looks plasticky, which is a shame.

Although I would actually rather like a big old screen like that – my N1 seems just slightly too narrow.
  • Deleted user 11 November 2010 22:25:58
    Disappointing looking hardware anyway.
  • Deleted user 11 November 2010 22:26:00
    Post deleted
  • JohnnyWashnGo 11 Nov 2010 22:33:30 1,544 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Looks terrible - pass.
  • Whatsfor 11 Nov 2010 22:46:21 2,189 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That's hideous! Samsung really do know how to make some huge plastic ugly shit!
  • crashVoodoo 15 Nov 2010 15:43:29 3,821 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    and ... things take a turn but still firmly in rumourang territory

EDIT : forgot the link

The Rumor
    Everything we reported about the Nexus S or “Nexus Two” was correct, but the phone was scrapped at the last minute when someone decided it needed to feature a dual-core processor in order to compete with the Tegra 2 phones coming out in early January. Samsung has already delivered new Nexus S units to testers with the upgraded processors, but Android 2.3 was not optimized for dual-core hardware and this is the reason for the delay.

The Source
    As with most rumor reports, these sources wish to remain anonymous. I spoke with two people today who have handled the Samsung Nexus phones and provided previous information about it which all turned out to be accurate (minus the launch dates caused by the delay). A third source also confirmed information about the issues Google was having with dual-core hardware running Android 2.3.

One Android Insider’s take on the rumor
    There is a lot to digest here, so let’s recap what already occurred today. Best Buy was supposed to launch the Nexus S on November 11th and that is the reason all of the Best Buy leaks occurred at once. Those leaks came from Best Buy employees that were digging through their network and discovered some materials related to the original launch date of November 11th.

The only problem is that the original Nexus S was scrapped and thus a lot of the details about the phone today are no longer correct.

The first Nexus One with no Google branding.
    Next we got pictures of the Nexus S from Engadget and the phone we saw is 100% real. Clark noticed that the pics were edited at some point and it turns out he was correct because the first couple batches of these phones did not have the Google logo on them. It was added after the pic was taken to make the phone look real.

Remember the original Nexus Ones from last year that Google gave out to employees which didn’t have any branding on them? That is exactly what happened with this year’s phone that was given to Googlers.

So who would edit a picture of a non-final Nexus S and mock it up so it appeared like it would be the retail version? And why did this person decide to release the pics to Engadget on the same day that the phone was supposed to launch? I’ve heard a lot of different theories, but I believe this was a Samsung orchestrated leak to ensure the buzz kept growing even though they knew the product had been delayed.

Speaking of the delay, this is where the story gets good. The original Nexus S was ready to be announced on November 8th and go on sale November 11th, but someone high up pulled the plug at the last minute after hearing reports that testers were not impressed with the hardware specs.

We reported that the original Nexus S was basically an overclocked Galaxy S and it turns out that as pretty accurate.

Now Samsung has chosen to go with a dual-core processor, which we didn’t really expect to see till January. Testers with access to the Nexus S have reported seeing two versions of the phone which look fairly similar but the old one is single-core and the new one is dual-core.

I would love to tell you which dual-core processor is inside the Nexus S now, but I do not have that information. We only know that NVIDIA’s Tegra 2 is virtually ready, but the other wild card is Samsung’s Orion processor.

When the Orion was announced back in September, Samsung said it would be available to “select customers” in the fourth quarter but we haven’t heard much until today. The dual-core Orion was spotted at the ARM Technology Conference this week and it is said to be in production, but I’m not totally confident that is what’s inside the Nexus S.

So we don’t know who is supplying the dual-core processor, but that is most definitely the “serious hardware issue” that TechCrunch reported had caused the delay. Android 2.3 and the Nexus S are tied together and were meant to be launched at the same time, but Android 2.3 was not optimized for dual-core hardware.

I know I’m dumbing things down, but Samsung has basically three options:

1, Release single-core phone with single-core software
    2, Release dual-core phone with single-core software
    3, Release dual-core phone with dual-core software

Option 1 was thrown out the window because Samsung and everyone else knows that dual-core phones will be unveiled on January 5th. It is a tough sell to move a bunch of single-core phones when the tech-savvy customers who might purchase them know that the next generation is just within reach.

Option 2 sounds the most likely at this point and it matches stories I’ve heard about other dual-core smartphones. Samsung could decide to ship the phone with a version of the OS that does not support dual-core so they can still get it out in time for the holidays. After the phone is launched, an over the air software update would “enable” the second core with a new firmware.

Option 3 sounds like the best choice, but timing issues might kill this plan. Google thought they were finished with Android 2.3 and that’s why they broke out the huge Gingerbread man, but now the team is being called back to get everything optimized for dual-core hardware. I believe they could get everything working, but so many potential selling days (or weeks) would be lost that this is unlikely.

Whatever happens, Google wants to ship Android 2.3 this year but they are waiting on Samsung and the Nexus S. I see no way that this phone and Android 2.3 could slip to next year because then it would get in the way of Google’s tablet push in Q1.

I can read your minds so I think I should also say that Honeycomb (Android 3.0) is optimized for dual-core hardware but that version of Android is initially planned for tablets and is not designed to run on the Nexus S. Two different teams were working on Gingerbread and Honeycomb at the same time and that is the reason why they have such close release dates.

In closing, the Nexus S is still real, it has been upgraded to a dual-core processor, and I believe it will ship this year with support for T-Mobile (and possibly more carriers). Since the original version of the Nexus S was scrapped, assume that all of the rumored hardware specs are subject to change and there could be some more surprises coming.

• pauleyc 15 Nov 2010 16:05:57 4,387 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I opt for the secret #4 option - Google give Samsung a kick in the balls and go with HTC.
  • crashVoodoo 15 Nov 2010 22:52:23 3,821 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    BOOM .. nexus is announced @ Web 2.0 summit!

more to come ... hopefully. like specs n shit

• crashVoodoo 15 Nov 2010 22:58:07 3,821 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    now with pics ... looks a bit plastic-y

• PearOfAnguish 15 Nov 2010 22:59:14 6,993 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Why does every phone have touch sensitive buttons now? Who ever decided they were a good idea?
  • TakeTheVeil 15 Nov 2010 23:04:15 5,058 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    now with pics ... looks a bit plastic-y

Well its a Samsung so, yeah.. plastic-y.

Im not a fan of touch sensitive buttons either. I much prefer tactile response
  • Lexx87 15 Nov 2010 23:06:15 20,869 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    Why does every phone have touch sensitive buttons now? Who ever decided they were a good idea?

When Apple succeeded so well at it :p

Speak the truth hussy!

• TakeTheVeil 15 Nov 2010 23:07:22 5,058 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PS3 had a pop at it too..
  • TakeTheVeil 15 Nov 2010 23:07:56 5,058 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Was thinking of waiting for the Nexus 2 but I think i'll just go with the Desire Z and overclock it.
  • PearOfAnguish 15 Nov 2010 23:12:15 6,993 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    PearOfAnguish wrote:

When Apple succeeded so well at it :p

I'm talking about touch buttons on phones. The iPhone has a single physical button.

The only thing touch sensitive buttons are good at is is annoying the shit out of you when you brush against them and get dropped back to the home screen.

TakeTheVeil wrote:
    Was thinking of waiting for the Nexus 2 but I think i'll just go with the Desire Z and overclock it.

That's got fucking touch sensitive buttons too! Stupid HTC. They got it so right with the Desire.
  • pauleyc 6 Dec 2010 16:57:47 4,387 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's official - the Nexus S site is now live.

Hm, supports Near Field Communication and has a curved glass screen.
  • mcmonkeyplc 6 Dec 2010 17:00:41 38,942 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    None of the buttons on that site work.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• PearOfAnguish 6 Dec 2010 17:48:22 6,993 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    None of the buttons on that site work.

That's a teaser for the phone and its fucking stupid touch sensitive buttons.
  • El_MUERkO 6 Dec 2010 17:51:04 16,840 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    looks shiney, currently only available at carphone warehouse, shit contract rates and Ł549 sim free, madness abounds!
  • coda 6 Dec 2010 17:59:57 1,868 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Contour screen is sexy.

I'm glad they went for Samsung instead of HTC. There's something about HTC phones, I can't quite put my finger on what it is, but something about them makes them look really cheap and flimsy to me.
  • Deleted user 6 December 2010 18:04:47
    rather that than ugly ;) that said, the nexus s is actually quite nice looking
  • urban 6 Dec 2010 18:12:01 10,895 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Beeb story
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous