Game Dev Story

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • INSOMANiAC 26 Oct 2010 23:38:10 3,829 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hell of a game!

Anyone have any good strategies? I got up to my 13th game on my first go but ended up pretty skint and couldnt be bothered doing any contracts.

I usually hire a designer and sound bloke at first but this time ive hired a designer and producer. Exciting times!

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Deleted user 26 October 2010 23:53:14
    Fun but feels like I'm playing Farmville tbh!
  • FatsoJetson 27 Oct 2010 00:19:59 302 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gameboy (or the games version of) is a good place to start developing on after PC.

Do two contracts between each game to boost the coffers.

Also get the graphics/fun/creativity/sound boosts from the visiting salesman early while they are cheap.
  • INSOMANiAC 27 Oct 2010 00:53:32 3,829 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I thought the boosts went up the more you bought, ive never bought the boost but i buy and use the energy drinks

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• steoc4 27 Oct 2010 01:21:35 1,656 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I found it way too easy actually. First 4 or 5 games my company was scraping along, then an in-game tip (no idea where it popped up) told me to use boosters, so I did and my games got a big boost and my next couple started bringing reasonable money in - I think it was about then that we moved into the second office, and the new staff I hired were way way better than the previous staff (ratings in the 200s rather than the 40s I think) - I gradually set about sacking all of my staff and replacing them with super staff (this took time as I had to keep looking for new hires till I found suitable ones)

By that point, probably about year 5 or 6 of 20, every single game I made was a Hall of Famer and I made far more money than I knew how to spend (I was pouring millions into training between each game for a while, but I stopped bothering because it was time consuming), I was actually a little disappointed because it was a lot more fun in the uncertain early years.

Then again I did nothing but sequels and safe genres after being bitten hard with my puzzle ninjas game in the early days... It's a bit like real life that way!
  • DFawkes 27 Oct 2010 02:11:05 22,969 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It is awesome.

One tip is you get 2 extra points toward attributed when you get a game genre up to Lvl 2, then again at Lvl 5. Or at least I think at Lvl 5. Lvl 2 definitely.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• INSOMANiAC 27 Oct 2010 11:01:32 3,829 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm starting to think the stats you give the game preproduction don't make a blind bit of difference to the end product or the reviews you receive.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Murbal 27 Oct 2010 11:06:29 22,221 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's quite good fun, but most people's feedback led me to believe it would be the second coming! It's quite addictive, but it's the sort of game I know if I stopped playing I'd probably never bother to go back to.
  • DFawkes 27 Oct 2010 11:06:44 22,969 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Stats do matter. I've never had anything not be sequel worthy even if I do it really half arsed. Also, you can use them to alter certain boosts - for example if you want more females to buy invest heavily in games with high Cute rating and you have a (possibly random) chance of getting a boost in female Market shares.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Lutz 27 Oct 2010 11:07:38 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TBH I've kinda left this already, and I've barely played it. My first three combinations of game types didn't work (Noticably Shooter + History... it's Call of Duty FFS!).
    And when I finall got a great combo, all my staff complained about being ask to do their jobs.

I may restart it, but not until I've cleared Trainyard.
  • Murbal 27 Oct 2010 11:09:32 22,221 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lutz wrote:
    all my staff complained about being ask to do their jobs.

This. Is. Annoying. It's what I'm paying them for ffs, the ungrateful bastards.
  • ecureuil 27 Oct 2010 11:25:12 76,812 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Staff complaining makes no difference.

It's not a game you're going to be playing forever, but it should give you a good 5+ hours of entertainment.
  • INSOMANiAC 27 Oct 2010 11:34:03 3,829 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I hope they continue to support and tweak the game, also, does it really matter if your staff are tired ? Do you get more bugs or something because if they are all shattered and I give them the energy drink I don't really notice much difference production wise

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• DFawkes 27 Oct 2010 14:00:18 22,969 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If they run out of energy they take a break. If they're on a break they're not working, so they're not producing points towards the game.

It might have other effects, I'm not sure yet.

• Murbal 27 Oct 2010 14:09:33 22,221 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:

It does seem you get a half arsed job if they've done the same thing a couple of times already.
  • Captain_Peach 27 Oct 2010 14:58:23 2,852 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My god.

Started playing in bed around 10 to check it out. Just finished playing it now. Days off ftw.
  • INSOMANiAC 27 Oct 2010 16:18:54 3,829 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've been doing the same, I start playing it for half an hour at about ten at night and four hours later I'm still on it

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Blakester 28 Oct 2010 09:08:45 3,618 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm still playing it after a week. The compulsion to play on-stop is waning but I still have a few person goals to achieve:

- Get a 40/40 review from the journos (I've achieved 39/40)
    - Get a good mix of staff all with over 300 points in each discipline

The second goal is really starting to bug me. I keep sending my secretary on the most expensive recruitment trip but the candidates shortlisted are either way below my current staff levels of people I've already hired and fired. Any tips?

Also the Gamedex conference is a chore, and the amount spent on your stand seems to bear no relation to the number of people that show up, or am I missing something.

Wonderful little game, would absolutely love to see a bigger budget PC or Mac version in the style of Theme Park.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• w00t 28 Oct 2010 09:11:01 11,120 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Addictive as hell. I now have 7 sequel-generating titles (including a simulation marathon game o_O), a team of 8 and about 350m.

Where do I find a hardware engineer? I want to make my own console!

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• Blakester 28 Oct 2010 09:15:46 3,618 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    w00t wrote:
    Addictive as hell. I now have 7 sequel-generating titles (including a simulation marathon game o_O), a team of 8 and about 350m.

Where do I find a hardware engineer? I want to make my own console!

Get one of your team to level 5, then swap their job to another role, increase them to level 5, repeat until they are level 5 in all roles and they instantly become a hardware engineer.

Word of warning, developing a console is not as lucrative as you might imagine. It's a milestone in the game nonetheless.

• w00t 28 Oct 2010 09:31:22 11,120 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    How many roles are there?

Coder
    Snd Engineer
    Producer
    Director
    Writer
    Designer
    Hacker

?

• Blakester 28 Oct 2010 09:37:24 3,618 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    w00t wrote:

Coder
    Snd Engineer
    Producer
    Director
    Writer
    Designer
    Hacker

?

They need to be proficient in all of those except the hacker.

• w00t 28 Oct 2010 11:33:41 11,120 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cheers!

Just need to finish of the last 18 months of this game (porting all my hits to the PS2 :)) and then I shall try to make my own console next time round.

• shamblemonkee 28 Oct 2010 11:39:27 14,392 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just started this, what have you done you bastards.... my morning poo turned into an epic!

• w00t 28 Oct 2010 11:42:58 11,120 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I ended up playing this until midnight last night. Poor Halo didn't get a look in.

• ecureuil 28 Oct 2010 11:45:08 76,812 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:

It does seem you get a half arsed job if they've done the same thing a couple of times already.

I had one where the writer said complained about having to do another one in a row, and then went and gave me 80+ for fun, the highest I've ever had. It seems fairly random to me. They complain but still produce great results.
  • ecureuil 28 Oct 2010 11:45:32 76,812 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    w00t wrote:

Coder
    Snd Engineer
    Producer
    Director
    Writer
    Designer
    Hacker

?

Hardware Engineer.
  • shamblemonkee 28 Oct 2010 13:21:18 14,392 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have a good feeling about 'Epic Epic 3' for the Exodus... :)
  • INSOMANiAC 28 Oct 2010 16:46:02 3,829 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I started off employing a sound engineer and designer at the start of the game but now I try to get designer and producer, the producers stats are way above everyone elses.

Trouble is you have to then hire an outside sound engineer when midgame. Quite a few times I've spent every penny and got to the point where I have to abandon a game as I can't get the sound done

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• UncleLou Moderator 28 Oct 2010 16:48:54 35,556 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Lutz wrote:
    My first three combinations of game types didn't work (Noticably Shooter + History... it's Call of Duty FFS!).

Actually, you'll unlock "war" at some point. What you were trying to do, in the game's world, was probably some kind of Renaissance FPS. ;)
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous