Nikon D7000

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 22 October 2010 21:00:08
    Ordered one of these, no idea when it'll show up. Shop I went to today (which accidentally had a guy from Nikon demoing it) said something about early 2011 if I pre-ordered it now at his shop. Heh! :)

Anyway, the camera is fucking mint. I'm using a stone age D100 and this was like something from the future. Went back and read some more about it and the general consensus is that it even beats the mighty prosumer D300s in certain areas!

I didn't expect it to be so bloody quick or to have such a large and highres display. I didn't expect it to have video preview on it while shooting full HD (24fps only though). It also takes all Nikkor lenses from AI (mid 70s) and newer, as opposed to other Nikon DSLRs.

Another interesting news is that Nikon has finally upgraded their already ace scene exposure database, something that they've been using since the mid 90s in ALL their cameras. Not that it was needed since it was already the best in class.

It's also inherited the magnesium body from the bigger boys and least but not last: dual memory card slots so you can dump JPGs on one and NEFs on the other, use one of them (the larger/faster card) for video or even write the exact same data on both cards, creating in fact a live backup of your work as you shoot.

The guys at Dpreview seem to be as excited as I am and for around 1000 EUR it really is a monster!
    http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond7000/
  • bauhaus 22 Oct 2010 21:06:41 3,513 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I`ve been thinking about one of these purely for video.
  • Deleted user 23 October 2010 06:40:04
    bauhaus, I'm under the impression Canon's DSLRs are ahead of Nikon's when it comes to shooting video. Maybe someone with knowledge of both can enlighten us? I've heard rumours of a tearing like effect in Nikon cams for instance, plus the fact they can't shoot full HD 60fps or any of the interlaced modes (should you need them). Definitely not buying this for the video although it may be interesting to see its lens and image performance next to my compact camcorder.

ecosee, stop polluting my threads please. You are not allowed to speak in my threads.
  • Dante_Cubit 23 Oct 2010 08:48:15 1,928 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The video is a step up from Nikon's other offerings but it is still not great. The stills functioning however looks sensational. The high ISO performance in particular looks excellent. If I was going to buy a crop camera this would be it (but I have a D700 so I won't...).
  • Aurifex. 23 Oct 2010 08:48:52 1,030 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I talked to a Canon guy who tells me that he don't use 1080 as the files are just too big. He is a pro photographer. Nikon excells at the FX or full frame with high ISO.
  • Aurifex. 23 Oct 2010 08:54:22 1,030 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Have you tried a D700? the low light it handles is stunning.
  • moriss 23 Oct 2010 13:26:02 588 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    bauhaus wrote:
    I`ve been thinking about one of these purely for video.

Don't be daft
    ive been thinking about it too actually, i have an old d70 and a couple lenses that my bro sold me when he decided to go serious with canon kit and not nikon. i don't really use it much, but im well into the idea of making videos and i would like to play with the video features. i know people that have 5dIIs just for video, why wouldu not recommend getting a d7000 for the same thing?
  • bauhaus 23 Oct 2010 13:42:33 3,513 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    valli wrote:
    bauhaus, I'm under the impression Canon's DSLRs are ahead of Nikon's when it comes to shooting video.

Yes they are. Nikons are quite poor at video.

As a Nikon user I'd be thrilled with some good video options on a nikon body, I could use all my current lenses and stuff.

I looked at the d90 and the 300 and decided they where not upto the job (just bought a HD Camcorder as stop gap) but I live in hope that Nikon will sort this out. I`ll probably have to wait until the D4 though I reckon.
  • Nth 24 Oct 2010 15:36:33 3,121 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    A lot of video guys seem to use Canon bodies with Nikon manual lenses on via adaptors, worth considering?
  • bauhaus 24 Oct 2010 15:50:29 3,513 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nth wrote:
    A lot of video guys seem to use Canon bodies with Nikon manual lenses on via adaptors, worth considering?

Cant say I`ve thought about it.

Is there IQ degradation using converters?

I`m not in a terrible rush, so I`m prepared to wait, be nice to get something to replace/support the D3 at the same time, so I`m likely to wait for a D3/D700 model, or even a D4.
  • Deleted user 24 October 2010 16:59:21
    Nth wrote:A lot of video guys seem to use Canon bodies with Nikon manual lenses on via adaptors, worth considering?
    Odd. Could it be because of the number of high quality cheap Nikkor lenses from AI range and onwards that xan be found everywhere?

These old lenses have very low appertures as well (sub 2.0) something vidoe guys normally would kill for.
  • Nth 24 Oct 2010 17:40:07 3,121 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think it's the fact that with video you're manually focussing anyway so older cheap and fast primes are ideal.
  • reflux 26 Oct 2010 23:36:52 1,804 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The reason for using older Nikkor lenses are that they have smoother focusing for proper focus pulling and mechanical aperture settings (which was more important before Canon added full manual settings in the 5D Mk II firmware).

And Valli, congrats. Seems that plu might be buying one too, Emma has been bugging me with questions on his behalf. Prylbög Delux.
  • Deleted user 27 October 2010 10:10:00
    Yes, the quality of old copper made lenses is amazing regarding the focus rings. They are also mechanical (obviously) with stops at both end and have distance markings on them.

Update is some retailers get it on the 4th of Nov, no idea when mine gets it. Hopefully earlier. :)
  • kalel 27 Oct 2010 10:15:58 88,467 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sounds great.
  • Deleted user 2 November 2010 05:04:44
    Nice preview, including full res JPGs and (heavily post processed) movies:
    http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2010/09/nikon-d7000/

It sounds too good to be true, which it should really: the author's been working with Nikon for a long time and they use to send him test samples for exactly these kind of articles.
  • Deleted user 2 November 2010 12:10:02
    Another link with some full res ISO comparison images:
    http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Nikon-D7000-Hands-On-Preview-14955
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 13:32:14
    So, release day is being pushed all the time. It was supposed to be yesterday, now it's 2nd of December. Some obscure online shops sell it already but I doubt they actually have it in stock. As long as it's this side of the New Year, I'm happy.
  • Deleted user 28 November 2010 15:21:17
    Not in Sweden though...
  • mal 28 Nov 2010 15:43:06 22,710 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Any reviews of this popped up yet? On paper it looks like it blows my D70 out of the water (to be fair, the D90 already did that pretty conclusively), and with the mag body it should be more than a match for your D100 too.

Camerapricebuster are suggesting it's been out in the UK for just over a month now. Seems strange that with the common market a company like Nikon can release something in one member state but not another. Nothing to stop Swedish distributors importing from the UK after all.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 28 November 2010 15:52:59
    Yea, I've seen it with some online shops but I want one of my regular "walk in" shops to have it in stock. 2nd of Dec is the next date according to several.

2 fresh reviews in here, scroll a bit down until you see the UK flag, most of them are in English:
    http://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?rec=716218

• Deleted user 4 December 2010 08:50:09
    Full review at dpreview:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond7000/

Found one downtown yesterday at lunch! Haven't really had time to test it properly yet, only a few tests with the manual lens but had so many positive surprises:

The little plastic prong on the mount that tells the camera the apperture on old AI lenses. You can also "register" up to 9 manual lenses, complete with focal distance (for EXIF data) and you can then use them in Apperture priority.

The other surprise was the two arrows next to the focus lamp, telling me I'm too close or too far away while focusing. They are so set that they literally tell you which way to rotate the focus ring on the lens! :)

Its speed is amazing and so is its performance at high ISO, I'm experiencing these "Back to the Future" moments over and over again, heh!
  • mal 4 Dec 2010 11:10:30 22,710 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Heh, just came to post that myself. Haven't read it yet, but the score at the end looks promising.

• Deleted user 4 December 2010 13:04:12
    Just did a closeup test, make sure 1080p is on:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-qoQaTVDmg

Velly happi!
  • mal 19 Jan 2011 13:15:08 22,710 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's not that easy now that the D300s and D7000 are the same price. The lighter weight of the D7000 is tempting, but the better ergonomics and controls of the D300s compensate (and if you use larger lenses, the extra 150 grams won't mean much anyway). The D7000 gives you proper HD video, but video, meh - go buy a camcorder. The D7000 gives you proper ISO 100, and a higher top end, but it tends to overexpose compared to the D300s.

With the prices as they are, isn't not an easy choice.

• Deleted user 19 January 2011 13:18:46
    I'd add better high ISO performance and the (slightly) higher pixel count to D7k's advantages as well.

Can the D300s do 14bit RAW btw? The D7k can.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous