Best PS2 game EVER! Page 5

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• trip919 21 Oct 2010 19:42:45 2,249 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    slickloose wrote:
    trip919 wrote:
    I love MGS3! Everything the second should've been!

Woohoo! We agreed on something :D
    So do you want or expect a MGS5?

Just got a PS3 not that long back so I haven't got to MGS4 yet! Hopefully it can match 3 and not be damp squib like 2.
  • Deleted user 21 October 2010 20:36:06
    My opinion if you're interested is that they tried to hard. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic game, a wet dream for hardcore fans and it's as epic as they come! But even I, a huge fan of the long cut scenes from previous games, felt these ones were too long...passing the hour mark more then once! The end dragged on way too long to, it's like they tried to squeeze every last drop out of it.(I think it's like an hour and a half!!!)

One cutscene that is near the hour mark is during Act 3, there's a particularly long exposition between Snake and an old friend that, in a sense, sums up the entire Metal Gear Solid series in a straight-forward way. All the cards are laid down on the table, all the players of the story revealed, and the stage set for a final confrontation as the game begins to move toward resolution. I knew about 80% of it, so it felt a little pointless but otherwise a good catch up I suppose.

I know I'm being down about it, but I'm just trying not to build up your hopes...for me it's the second best in the series and deffo a 10/10 for me. The only reasons the cut scenes annoyed me was 'cos the wife was accusing me of neglecting her and my daughter...I can't just turn the game off mid way through a cutscene!

Anyway, if your a MGS fan, please play this...you just have to!

P.S....another gripe is that the game installs before every Act...again a bit annoying.
  • trip919 21 Oct 2010 21:29:02 2,249 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, an hour and a half cut scene is lightweight - the amount of 3hr+ films Iíve seen recently will make it feel like a cakewalk when I do it! Going to try and squeeze it in soon as its been long overdue. Canít say a mandatory install at every chapter fills me with joy, can you do them all at once? Not going to keep me from playing either way like!
  • Deleted user 21 October 2010 22:08:53
    trip919 wrote:
    Yeah, an hour and a half cut scene is lightweight - the amount of 3hr+ films Iíve seen recently will make it feel like a cakewalk when I do it! Going to try and squeeze it in soon as its been long overdue. Canít say a mandatory install at every chapter fills me with joy, can you do them all at once? Not going to keep me from playing either way like!

I don't think you can do them all at once, it's just basically a really long loading time between Acts, make a cup of tea or something! Don't get me wrong, individually the cut scenes I could handle but when you have been playing a while and you are ready to come off and then you're hit with an hour cut scene, it's a bit of a pain!

But like I said, as a fan of the series, I would give this game a 10/10. Bear in mind I have only given 1 other game this gen a 10 and that was BioShock, even Uncharted 2 I would give a 9/10!
  • trip919 21 Oct 2010 22:20:56 2,249 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah youíve really got to set aside the time when you start a Metal Gear game. Complete silence will reign in my house.

/drugs family
  • King_Edward 22 Oct 2010 00:29:05 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    trip919 wrote:
    slickloose wrote:
    trip919 wrote:
    Just got a PS3 not that long back so I haven't got to MGS4 yet! Hopefully it can match 3 and not be damp squib like 2.
    It's closer to 2 than 3. But I loved 2 anyway. Do yourself a favour though. Turn the game off as soon as you see the credits rolling.

Each chapter install overwrites the last, so you can't do them all at once. If you want to go through the game again, you have to install each chapter again.
  • drumbaby 22 Oct 2010 07:54:55 2,688 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Devil May Cry 3. The greatest action game on the PS2 bar none...poetry in motion, beautiful control and combat sytem, and Dante at his silliest and best.
  • Big-Swiss 22 Oct 2010 08:58:41 7,952 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    drumbaby wrote:
    Devil May Cry 3. The greatest action game on the PS2 bar none...poetry in motion, beautiful control and combat sytem, and Dante at his silliest and best.

I liked the second one better. In the third one, as soon as you unlock the guitarre, things started to suck, it didn't feel right anymore. But even more annoying was, that at some point I got lost, and never found out what it was I had to do anymore to proceed.
    But yeah, DMC3 was better than DMC4. Don't know what happened, but after 4 hours I stopped playing, and never ever put it back into the console.
  • Deleted user 22 October 2010 09:41:42
    I completed #1, kinda liked it and started playing 2...and I just got bored! I prefer the God of War's, game play is slower but I found a much richer experience. :)
  • Deleted user 22 October 2010 19:31:46
    DMC > DMC3 > DMC4 > DMC2
  • neonemesis 22 Oct 2010 19:55:58 1,640 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The lack of Yakuza in this thread is upsetting. I still think Yakuza 2 is the best game in the series and it's certainly my top PS2 game, narrowly beating Persona 3.
  • trip919 23 Oct 2010 10:51:46 2,249 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    trip919 wrote:
    slickloose wrote:
    trip919 wrote:

It's closer to 2 than 3. But I loved 2 anyway. Do yourself a favour though. Turn the game off as soon as you see the credits rolling.

Each chapter install overwrites the last, so you can't do them all at once. If you want to go through the game again, you have to install each chapter again.

Cheers for the tip but the OCD demands that I watch the credits for every game I complete.

/touches nose 82 times at the prospect of not doing that
  • trip919 23 Oct 2010 10:55:47 2,249 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TearYouAsunder wrote:
    DMC > DMC3 >>>> DMC4 >>>>>>>>>...... >>>>>-----///// - hell - DMC2
  • Deleted user 23 October 2010 12:39:56
    If your a fan of MGS, you know better than to turn off the game during the credits.
  • King_Edward 23 Oct 2010 14:40:18 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ok. But as a massive fan of the Metal Gear, and a huge lover of Kojima's cut-scenes. Even I thought thought he was taking the piss at the end of MGS4.

Still a 10/10 game, and a great sign off for the series (or it would have been if they hadn't made two more).
  • Deleted user 23 October 2010 15:20:14
    Yes the end was too much but he did at the time think that was gonna be the last game in the series ever! I still reckon there will be plenty of MGS for years to come.
  • Slipstream 28 Oct 2010 22:09:15 254 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts Covenant as well as Suikoden IV, it's a tough call =)
  • JBlokeUK 29 Oct 2010 06:43:05 2,309 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    TearYouAsunder wrote:
    DMC > DMC3 > DMC4 > DMC2

Well said that man.

Best PS2 game? Hmmm I would have to say Socom 2, purely for the 100's of hours and great memories of playing online.

Very honourable mention goes to Burnout 3: Takedown too.

I like it when he's angry.

• Deleted user 29 October 2010 15:48:06
    Very honourable mention goes to Burnout 3: Takedown too

YAY! Although I have a guy on CVG telling me Burnout isn't a racing game and deffo shouldn't be compared to Gran Turismo (after I said i prefer Burnout to Gran Turismo).
  • nickthegun 30 Oct 2010 12:56:15 55,849 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    slickloose wrote:
    Very honourable mention goes to Burnout 3: Takedown too

YAY! Although I have a guy on CVG telling me Burnout isn't a racing game and deffo shouldn't be compared to Gran Turismo (after I said i prefer Burnout to Gran Turismo).

Can it be paraphrased as 'arcade racer blah blah blah simulator blah blah blah'?

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Deleted user 30 October 2010 14:02:13
    @nickthegun, indeed...So i'm not allowed to say I prefer Burnout over GT 'cos they are not in the same genre. You would think I had compared it to Dead Space ffs!
  • techierob 2 Nov 2010 19:56:00 336 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'd hate to have to choose between Psychonauts, God of War and Gitaroo Man to be honest.
  • Stockings 11 Dec 2010 07:22:11 474 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    We appreciate your honesty
  • sirtacos 11 Dec 2010 07:36:00 7,205 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Totally unrelated to the PS2 I suppose, but RE the MGS discussion in this thread - MGS4 was the only one I played and I easily give it a 10.
    Epic, lovely, over the top... love the weapons, love the stealth, lurve the freedom of choice in how to navigate levels... probably the best stealth game I've ever played, the Thief series notwithstanding. I didn't mind the cutscenes at all... I saw them as part of the charm.
    MGS4 single-handedly justified my purchase of the PS3, turning it from a glorified blu-ray player into an actual games console.
  • Luckyjim 11 Dec 2010 14:31:36 2,832 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    For me, it's either Ico or SotC.

MGS3 was only great when Subsistence came out.

Also, +1 for Yakuza 2. Brilliant game.
  • electrolite 12 Dec 2010 22:17:06 448 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jak and Daxter
    Rez
    Burnout 2

(honourable mentions to Sly Raccoon 2, Ratchet + Clank, Klonoa 2, Frequency, Ico, Pro Evo 5, NFS : Hot Pursuit 2, Burnout Revenge, SSX Tricky, GTA 3, Vice City, Prince Of Persia : SOT, Katamari Damacy, Bully, Splashdown, Maximo, Ring of Red, Extreme G-3)
  • lavalant 13 Dec 2010 21:08:25 1,249 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    drumbaby wrote:

Except God Hand is vastly superior.
  • RobTheBuilder 13 Dec 2010 21:09:40 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gradius V
    R Type Final
    Burnout 3
  • Page

of 7 First / Last