Opinions on Battlestar Galactica, please Page 3

• Page

of 38 First / Last

• Blerk Moderator 1 Nov 2004 13:37:28 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hmm.... none of them are 'especially' doing it for me, sadly.

I'm too busy dreaming of Doctor Weir from Stargate Atlantis. Yum yum!
  • eviltobz  1 Nov 2004 16:00:33 2,609 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    the only problem i have with the series is do i watch it on tv tonight, or do i download the torrent of it tomorrow and get to enjoy it the proper way, with no fecking adverts.
  • pjmaybe 1 Nov 2004 16:05:28 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    eviltobz  wrote:
    the only problem i have with the series is do i watch it on tv tonight, or do i download the torrent of it tomorrow and get to enjoy it the proper way, with no fecking adverts.

I thought the "proper" way was on several PCs at once, stripped from the waist down, on knees, monitors arranged in a semi-circle, box of man-size kleenex within arms reach.

Peej
  • eviltobz  1 Nov 2004 16:51:19 2,609 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    you been spying on me peej?

/closes curtains
  • Orange 1 Nov 2004 21:08:10 4,846 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So what are the thoughts on tonight's episode?

I enjoyed it more than last week, was looking forward to seeing what they had in mind with the prisoners but the last thing I expected was to see Richard Hatch leading a revolt and doing a fantastic acting job :D I knew he had a guest spot at some point in the series but didn't expect it to be this, something of a shock when he came casually strolling out of his cell.

Only issue I have is that spoiler bit they have after the opening scenes. Tried to avoid it but just caught sight of prisoners rioting, which I would much rather have been surprised by. I'll have to remember to look away quicker next week.

That female Starbuck is growing on me, she was attractive this week, funnier, sharper and less annoying. I like the adverserial father/daughter relationship she has with the alcoholic second-in-command (can't remember his name).

Still not too sure where Helo-Boomer V-2.0 is going but it's not boring me yet, bit of a post-apocalyptic angle.
  • Whizzo 1 Nov 2004 22:21:58 43,187 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Good third episode, it's nice to actually see intelligent SF on TV these days!

Richard Hatch was very good and I think it's safe to say that won't be the last we see of him.

The Caprica situation is getting rather curious as to what the Cylons are really upto. Six certainly appears to have a different attitude to humans than her counterparts.

I look away from the TV when the music changes at the titles, quite why the show want's to give away details about the upcoming episode is really odd.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Tricky 2 Nov 2004 10:53:44 4,438 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Didn't have time to send my review into AICN this week but I would have only given it 3 and a half stars - Hatch was good (and it was nice to see the new Apollo finally have some scenes to get his teeth into) but the whole episode felt like a bit of a non-event really. Good character work... but just came off as a bit "meh". Got to admit that I'm loving that theme music at the start though - just before it goes all thumpy and displays all the spoilers it has a really haunting quality. Good stuff.
  • Orange 16 Nov 2004 23:22:06 4,846 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Any more thoughts on Galactica? Just had the conclusion of the two-parter this week with Starbuck on that moon. Past two episodes have been heavily focussed on Starbuck and light on the doctor.

I'm still enjoying it very much, not as strong as in the beginning but that's to be expected in a full series, will build to the season finale.
  • Nemesis 16 Nov 2004 23:25:17 18,672 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well, I nabbed the mini-series pilot DVD and watched most of that a while back.

Only just got rigged up with Sky+ so last night's was the first of the series I managed to see.

I liked it. I liked it. So I've got it on series link so it gets nabbed each week and I can zap past the ads!

woo!
  • Whizzo 16 Nov 2004 23:49:38 43,187 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Absolutely agree with you Harry, I'm really enjoying this series.

Big thumbs up to Sky for investing in the show and showing it first! :-)

• Whizzo 6 Dec 2004 22:44:12 43,187 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    SPOILERS FOR EPISODE SHOWN 6/12/2004

Another really good show tonight I thought, the questioning was pretty brutal, Caprica Boomer has obviously fallen for Helo and wants out of Cylon control, BSG Boomer is discovered and surely Baltar will be ratting her out next episode, Kara is obviously starting to question just what is going on and Cylons do appear to have the ability to see the future and other psionic abilities too.

Crikey the "hour" flies bye!

Only 5 more shows left in this season... :-(

• Orange 6 Dec 2004 23:13:28 4,846 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    SPOILERS FOR EPISODE SHOWN 6/12/2004

A really good episode. I thought the Starbuck actress was superb this week. Meanwhile the Doctor confirmed himself as my favourite character and actor on the show, he's so funny and twitchy, fantastic.

Interesting to see what will happen to the on-ship Boomer now she's been found out, although I suspect as its only a beta test there will be some uncertainty.

The planet-side Boomer had quite a strange moment running off with Helo. Must be a real problem with that model of unit, needs a firmware upgrade :D

Whizzo wrote:
    Only 5 more shows left in this season...
    Blimey is that right?? :(
  • Whizzo 6 Dec 2004 23:22:44 43,187 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Orange wrote:Blimey is that right?? :(
    Unfortunately yes. The last couple of episodes are a two parter the name(s) of which is a bit of a spoiler if you see the episode title before the show.

Won't say any more than that but knowing what it's called and seeing this particular episode is rather interesting.

Edited by Whizzo at 23:23:26 06-12-2004

• mcmonkeyplc 7 Dec 2004 01:30:45 39,467 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Im starting to love this series!

I can actually see it equaling if not beating my love for Star trek.

I haven't really seen enough of Enterprise season 3, but from what I saw of the end of season 2 and other peoples thoughts that seems to finally getting into gear too.

The 4400 looks good too! A new golden age for sci-fi tv blooming?

MCM

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Clive_Dunn 7 Dec 2004 06:06:21 4,782 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm loving the series as well, they've managed to make the Cylons both menacing and mysterious - something the original never managed.

Fingers crossed the viewing figures are good enough to justify a second series - I'm sick of good stuff being canned.
  • Blerk Moderator 7 Dec 2004 09:12:31 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This is the best sci-fi show on telly at the minute. Absolutely gripping stuff. Grim, nasty and never predictable. It'll probably get cancelled.

/rolls eyes
  • Shivoa 7 Dec 2004 09:18:49 5,677 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Grrr, just watched this week's ep.

I reallly dislike the Doctor. It isn't the actual acting as that seems upn to standard but the actual character and the way he is portrayed onscreen. Just really gets on my nerves and so eps dedicated to him aren't the best.
  • Tricky 7 Dec 2004 12:26:33 4,438 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hang on - that was last week's show Harry. You watching these on download or something?
  • Shivoa 7 Dec 2004 12:42:41 5,677 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Enterprise has been trying to look enjoyable but I just can't accept the speed of story arc (and not in the Voyager single goal held for seasons on end like the Xindi). I was really looking forward to a good Vulcan story arc with real progress each ep towards this change in leadership with new things learnt over time but it all got shoved into 3 eps and after a few references in the next few weeks I'm guessing we won't hear of it again until they run out of ideas in a few seasons.

If only they could learn from Bab5 and actually have eps that had stories going on just for the ep and also a plot arc that they took forward in at least 50% of the eps while also doing a mini-story. Just seems like something they just can't get right.

>Hang on - that was last week's show Harry. You watching these on download or something?

Ok, i was talking about that ep too (which was on download) but could have sworn it only came online in the last few days (and was playing very close to live on SkyOne).
  • Whizzo 7 Dec 2004 12:47:07 43,187 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I dunno a show actually gets aired in the UK first and some UK based individuals still download it!

Obviously I do as well after watching it on Sky One but only for achival reasons. :-)

• binky Moderator 7 Dec 2004 13:02:25 9,700 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Last night's episode was great. In fact the whole thing has been brilliant. Most consistantly good series of anything on the telly in a long time.

Top drawer!
  • Shivoa 7 Dec 2004 13:02:31 5,677 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ah yes. New ep now up. Must have forgotten to watch last weeks ep for a few days.
  • binky Moderator 7 Dec 2004 15:23:35 9,700 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    interesting...

linky
  • Blerk Moderator 7 Dec 2004 15:28:21 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Right on!

If you download it and watch it that's fine. Just make sure you tune in and watch it again when it's actually on the telly!
  • Shivoa 7 Dec 2004 15:43:53 5,677 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    On TV?

I've got freeview. We don't get international TV without a 1-2 year delay on this thing

/points at PoS digibox

we get it through this thing

/points at air carrying wifi signal.
  • quantumsheep 9 Dec 2004 19:07:49 3,127 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    loved the interogation of the cylon. Just loved it. Whole episode has set up a whole raft of potential conflict.

Good on 'em I say - top stuff! :)
  • Scimarad 9 Dec 2004 20:30:34 8,567 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If you want to be pissed off, read the IGN 'review' of the series so far - Explains a lot about american TV

Mini Series

Series #1

Series #2

/sigh

• Orange 9 Dec 2004 20:34:02 4,846 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The original series was utter shit. Even it's creators know it was just a rushed knock-off of Star Wars. Why on earth are people treating this "source material" as some kind of holy bible??
  • Scimarad 9 Dec 2004 20:44:14 8,567 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tengu, they're hardly comparable are they - They totally different shows aiming for a totally different style and I'd take this one over the old one any day, enjoyable though it was...
  • Retroid Moderator 9 Dec 2004 21:56:31 44,958 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    If you want to be pissed off, read the IGN 'review' of the series so far - Explains a lot about american TV

Mini Series

Series #1

Series #2

/sigh
    My dog, that man's an idiot!

"Too depressing"

THEIR PLANETS HAVE BEEN DECIMATED! THERE'S LESS THAN 50,000 SURVIVORS OUT OF 12 WORLDS! THEY'RE RUNNING FOR THEIR LIVES!

Fuckwit. Plus, I REALLY like the theme tune, nicely haunting.

I'm willing to bet that he thought Star Trek: Voyager was great Sci Fi TV.
  • Page

of 38 First / Last