Opinions on Battlestar Galactica, please Page 2

• Page

of 38 First / Last

• Whizzo 15 Oct 2004 13:40:11 43,154 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    They don't screw up the second part so there's no need to worry about that. Some great moments in the second part and the series isn't afraid to do some rather surprising things...

This space left intentionally blank.

• sam_spade 15 Oct 2004 13:42:41 15,745 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's got better acting than Bab5. At the moment at least.
  • ssuellid 15 Oct 2004 14:28:54 19,141 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    tengu wrote:
    How can you people LIKE this pap? The original had Face in it! FUCKING FACE FOR GOD'S SAKE!

Because the original was mostly shite? They only had 1 or 2 explosions for the entire series. Most of the series was emotional slush. I thought it was good until I watched it again a while ago.
  • Madder-Max 15 Oct 2004 14:33:11 11,656 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    sam_spade wrote:
    It's got better acting than Bab5. At the moment at least.

bab5 wa like Star Trek on ketamin. Now then. FARSCAPE.....nuff said!

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Blerk Moderator 15 Oct 2004 14:37:10 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hey, we won't have any badmouthing of B5 on here.

Take it outside!
  • Whizzo 15 Oct 2004 14:44:14 43,154 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    tengu wrote:Teletubbies has better acting than Babylon 5. If ever there was a show I hate more than the new Galactica...
    Ut oh definitive proof tengu is the last person on here to ask about what's worth watching on TV.

Actually what do you enjoy then other than the original BG and, for god alone knows what reason, Galactica 80?

Edited by Whizzo at 13:45:25 15-10-2004

• sam_spade 15 Oct 2004 14:47:30 15,745 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ssuellid wrote:
    tengu wrote:
    How can you people LIKE this pap? The original had Face in it! FUCKING FACE FOR GOD'S SAKE!

Because the original was mostly shite? They only had 1 or 2 explosions for the entire series. Most of the series was emotional slush. I thought it was good until I watched it again a while ago.

The original was really character based and look at how evil the Cylons are. I think this new turns and takes a look at how humans really are. You wouldn't have had a section when Adama would have willing killed people from his own ship, Apollo and Starbuck would have fixed it for him.

The original was feelgood TV, this isn't so cut and dry.
  • Whizzo 15 Oct 2004 16:36:40 43,154 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    tengu wrote:I'm sorry if my opinions on the new BG aren't popular with a lot of you, but I really dislike the show, it has a lot of flaws that really could have been fixed very easily if the makers had wanted to fix them.
    What are these flaws that are so terrible but easily fixable then?

I can all but guarantee this show won't make it to a second season, and by the time it's half way through season one, I suspect a few of you will see things my way. When that day comes, I promise not to say I told you so.

/crosses fingers
    Oh please that statement has to be one of the most opionated, diehard fanboish bollocks I've ever read on the internet. You have no idea how well the series is going to do, nor do you have any information about what's going to happen in it either. You know it's going to be crap and die on its arse and you won't do a told you so.

Well thanks for that, can you tell me what tomorrow's lottery numbers are going to be if you have the ability to see into the future?

The old BG is DEAD and isn't coming back, even Richard Hatch seems to be realising that that.

• Clive_Dunn 15 Oct 2004 16:46:48 4,780 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The old BG was shite, its only good points were:

Starbuck was cool.
    Vipers were cool.
    Cylons were cool.

Against that you've got:

Richard Hatch.
    Boxy.
    Jolly.
    Boomer.
    30 seconds of special effects being repeated over and over again.
    Crap plots.
    Baltar.

It would be really difficult for the new BG to be worse than the old one, it dated very quickly indeed.
  • Whizzo 15 Oct 2004 16:51:34 43,154 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You left Maren Jensen and Jane Seymour off your "good points" list. :-)

• ssuellid 15 Oct 2004 16:52:50 19,141 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    And the shite music used for the 'amusing' parts off the bad points
  • Clive_Dunn 15 Oct 2004 16:54:45 4,780 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    You left Maren Jensen and Jane Seymour off your "good points" list. :-)

Mmmm, good points...fnarr.
  • markypants 15 Oct 2004 16:56:15 2,703 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    Ignore tengu, anyone who liked Galactica 80 has no idea about quality television! ;-)

Second that!! Galactica 80 was utter...utter..UTTER... ARSE-GOAT-POTATO-FARMINGLY CRAP!

New one is actually quite good. Got a shock after watching the first part of the mini-series in that it was actually good. By the end of the Sky Movies run I positively looked forward to the new series!!

I think it's worth giving it a go.

M
  • Tricky 15 Oct 2004 17:29:06 4,411 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    tengu wrote:I'm sorry if my opinions on the new BG aren't popular with a lot of you, but I really dislike the show, it has a lot of flaws that really could have been fixed very easily if the makers had wanted to fix them.
    What are these flaws that are so terrible but easily fixable then?

Yeah, I'd like to know what you think those errors are too, tengu. What exactly do you find so bad about it? Seeing as you liked Farscape and DS9 I'm surprised that you didn't enjoy this.

Mind you, you did enjoy Space Above and Beyond so you may have an uphill battle convincing me of any points that you make - that series really did suck bad (with the exception of the last episode where they made the ballsy move of killing practically everyone off - but then that was just because they knew they weren't going to get renewed).
  • Tricky 15 Oct 2004 20:24:03 4,411 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was going to type a long discourse/counterpoint to what tengu said but I really can't be arsed. All I'll say is that Farscape's 'parts' were all bloody good which is why it amounted to such a good show - criticising the acting in that show really makes me realise how far off your viewpoint is from mine so I'm not going to bother arguing the point; it would be a bit like telling someone who's allergic to nuts to chow down on some Chicken Satay. :-s
  • Whizzo 15 Oct 2004 20:43:18 43,154 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    /agrees with Tricky however a few points

There's little point in the Cylons strafing crowds of people on Caprica or anywhere else in the colonies, when they're throwing nukes around with gay abandon, to use an old expression, for crying out loud!

Also there's no black/non-white characters in the new BG? Dualla doesn't look too white to me as she's played by a black South African, Boomer (oh no another character that's female now!) is played by Grace Park who certainly isn't caucasian and Adama himself is played by a Latino. Admittedly his "son" is played by an Englishman but at least he's wearing contacts to change his eye colour to fit in more with his "Dad".

All I'm seeing is whining from someone who won't accept that times have moved on and people wouldn't want anything like the old BG today. The old series still exists, you can still watch it but writing complete cobblers because it's not what you want is a bit silly.

The Green Berets was the best Vietnam war movie ever, FACT.
    Fuck me your taste in movies is bloody awful!

Edited by Whizzo at 19:49:20 15-10-2004

• MacSam 15 Oct 2004 23:01:02 210 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And this is what happens when you post on the internet. ;)
  • MacSam 15 Oct 2004 23:16:20 210 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    tengu wrote:
    MacSam wrote:

Well, I was asked.

Okay!
  • MacSam 15 Oct 2004 23:19:12 210 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    tengu wrote:
    MacSam wrote:

Well, I WAS asked.

Leave it!
  • Errol 15 Oct 2004 23:31:11 12,485 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Do the women still wear those tight white costumes ?

/drools.
  • Retroid Moderator 15 Oct 2004 23:32:35 44,803 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Errol wrote:

/drools.
    That was another crap sci-fi, Buck Rogers ;)
  • Errol 15 Oct 2004 23:34:45 12,485 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    oh yeah.

Those costumes made a big impact on me when I was younger.

• binky Moderator 16 Oct 2004 00:07:38 9,675 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    well just watched the 2nd part and I have to say I really enjoyed it! aside from SKY1's shitty adverts every 5mins. Wish I had watched it the first time roundon sky movies now.
    oh well.

Looking forward to the series.
  • Spanky 16 Oct 2004 00:36:08 14,507 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Retroid wrote:
    Errol wrote:

/drools.
    That was another crap sci-fi, Buck Rogers ;)
    By definition having women in tight white suits means it isn't crap. It also had Mel Blanc as tweeky, and better fighters than BSG.

/raspberry

Plubs

• markypants 1 Nov 2004 12:41:14 2,703 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm loving this series!!

Carry on.
  • Blerk Moderator 1 Nov 2004 13:08:44 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Finally got around to watching all three n' a half hours of the mini series over the weekend. Quite impressed - it's pretty good! The missus was slack-jawed at the 'the enemy are coming, let's fuck off and leave the non-lightspeed ships behind to get slaughtered' bit - Star Trek this is not! Thank God. :-)

Got the first couple of episodes of the series on tape to watch as well - thanks to everyone who helped me make up my mind!
  • pjmaybe 1 Nov 2004 13:09:10 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I want to pork most of the chicks in it.

That is all.

Peej
  • Xensor 1 Nov 2004 13:26:21 1,052 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So far they have done and excellent job with this series IMO. I think the acting and direction is first rate, the sfx and cg have a more understated gritty realism (for computer generated ships) than star trek or star wars or even bab5 never had. The plot possibilities are really quite endless, tho i reckon they could fall into the new world full of green paint aliens with bits stuck on their face a week syndrome if the writing isn't kept up to the high standards they've set. I think they could have a shitload of fun with boomer battling her cylon heritage and dr. baltar slowly going insane. And frankly who gives a shit if they changed starbuck to a woman? Adds a bit of sexual intrigue - will she end up riding apollo's turkey baster or baltar's?

All in all it's quality entertainment - especially after the disasterous first couple of seasons of enterprise. Hopefully this and the Stargates should keep me neck deep in scifi :)
  • Retroid Moderator 1 Nov 2004 13:33:21 44,803 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    I want to pork most of the chicks in it.

That is all.
    I'll slum it with Boomer, you can have the President (imagine she's a brunette Fern Britton)
  • Whizzo 1 Nov 2004 13:35:08 43,154 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I can't be the only person who thinks the young, female engineer is quite a cutie?

• Page

of 38 First / Last