The moment you realised the Simpsons is now terrible Page 3

  • Page

    of 26 First / Last

  • ronuds 12 Oct 2010 15:28:09 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Physically_Insane wrote:
    ronuds wrote:
    Physically_Insane wrote:
    South Park is probably the only tv show I know of that gets better each season.

    Oooph...

    What?

    South Park couldn't really get any worse, could it? :p
  • Deleted user 12 October 2010 15:28:13
    ecureuil wrote:
    It's not a criticism, that's just how US comedies are structured. The first act is there to set up the story in any bizarre way possible, usually something that the writers can have fun with and put in jokes that otherwise wouldn't fit in to a normal episode.

    I love the confidence with which you spout this crap. Nothing about a three act structure dictates that the first act has to be "slightly random". And not all US sitcoms build their stories that way!
  • ecu 12 Oct 2010 15:29:29 77,019 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kitsuneyo wrote:
    I love the confidence with which you spout this crap.

    Funny cause that's exactly what I've been thinking when reading your posts in this thread.
  • yupyup 12 Oct 2010 15:29:37 3,682 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He doesn't like being talked to like that by a casual US TV fan.

    Hands Off Our Penises

  • ecu 12 Oct 2010 15:31:54 77,019 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Never said the first act had to be random, it's a more common trait in animated shows, but it certainly isn't exclusive to the later seasons of the Simpsons, not by a long shot.
  • chrisno21 12 Oct 2010 15:32:11 1,531 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Futurama showed up, seemed like all the good writers moved over to it and the Simpsons became the joke. South Park is the best example of a comedy series staying fresh and brilliant (14 years on).

    PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

  • nickthegun 12 Oct 2010 15:33:41 60,437 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Now if there is a something that really has had bad seasons, its south park.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

  • Deleted user 12 October 2010 15:33:49
    ecureuil wrote:
    kitsuneyo wrote:
    I love the confidence with which you spout this crap.

    Funny cause that's exactly what I've been thinking when reading your posts in this thread.

    Haha. Really? Because all I've done is give my personal opinions on the Simpsons and told somebody when the newest episode is next on.
  • Deleted user 12 October 2010 15:35:14
    ecureuil wrote:
    Never said the first act had to be random, it's a more common trait in animated shows, but it certainly isn't exclusive to the later seasons of the Simpsons, not by a long shot.

    Fair play, you did give that impression though :p
  • M83J01P97 12 Oct 2010 15:36:46 6,668 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    chrisno21 wrote:
    Futurama showed up, seemed like all the good writers moved over to it and the Simpsons became the joke. South Park is the best example of a comedy series staying fresh and brilliant (14 years on).

    South Park has dipped on more than a few occasions, but in all fairness they have been able to bring it back from the brink quite spectacularly over the past few years.
  • bigshot316 12 Oct 2010 15:40:00 24,041 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    I wouldn't say that it's shit, but around a decade ago I realised it was lacklustre and increasingly tired. The episode when they went to Japan was one I remember watching and thinking "this isn't like a Simpsons episode."

    But that one's funny- when they are all having seizures due to 'Fighting Seizure Robots', and Homer walks in, sees them, shrugs and just joins in rolling around on the floor and making weird noises well thats just quality.

    smoggo wrote:
    At weekends when my wife is away I like to wear her stockings and put Stickle bricks up my bottom whilst listening to Ke$ha songs.

  • thelzdking 12 Oct 2010 15:43:07 4,369 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    bigshot316 wrote:
    thelzdking wrote:
    I wouldn't say that it's shit, but around a decade ago I realised it was lacklustre and increasingly tired. The episode when they went to Japan was one I remember watching and thinking "this isn't like a Simpsons episode."

    But that one's funny- when they are all having seizures due to 'Fighting Seizure Robots', and Homer walks in, sees them, shrugs and just joins in rolling around on the floor and making weird noises well thats just quality.
    It is funny (square melons), but the writing and tone of it is noticeably different to earlier Simpsons episodes. One of the first 'The Simpsons go to..." episodes.
  • warlockuk 12 Oct 2010 15:43:18 19,185 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The new ones aren't as bad as the last few series - though they're still a bit cack. The last few Family guy episodes have been shit, so that's entering Simpsons stagnation...

    ...and South Park has had it's ups + downs. It got shit around series 4, then they have a fat kid feeding a guy his ground up parents and it fought its way back. Lots of hit + miss episodes but some are genuinely funny.

    I'm a grumpy bastard.

  • Big-Swiss 12 Oct 2010 15:45:43 8,183 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I do agree, I can't watch simpsons as I used too, somethimes they are not good enough for me to watch 3-4 episodes after each other, but they are still one of the best things on TV nowadays!

    And If I switch, I just wtach how I met your mother! now that is awesome!
  • Articulate-Troll 12 Oct 2010 15:48:02 3,101 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    Doesn't Matt Groening have almost zero interaction with the shows production now a days?

    I remember reading an interview with him not so long ago where he basically said he was in a 'Bill Gates' style position where he knew he could walk away from the show and it would still be good hands...

    Matt Groening has never really been that important to the show. In the early seasons, it was mostly Swartzwelder and a few others that wrote the best jokes. It was when they they started leaving that the shows quality deteriorated.

    I personally can't bear to watch it nowadays. It's like watching an old friend go senile. They really should have ended it around the 9th/10th season.
  • ronuds 12 Oct 2010 15:48:04 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    South Park tries way too hard. They take the latest scandal, make a bunch of cliche jokes about it and I'm supposed to be impressed and think they're revolutionary.
  • ecu 12 Oct 2010 15:51:13 77,019 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Articulate-Troll wrote:
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    Doesn't Matt Groening have almost zero interaction with the shows production now a days?

    I remember reading an interview with him not so long ago where he basically said he was in a 'Bill Gates' style position where he knew he could walk away from the show and it would still be good hands...

    Matt Groening has never really been that important to the show. In the early seasons, it was mostly Swartzwelder and a few others that wrote the best jokes. It was when they they started leaving that the shows quality deteriorated.

    I personally can't bear to watch it nowadays. It's like watching an old friend go senile. They really should have ended it around the 9th/10th season.

    Even season 11 had some good episodes. It went properly crap around season 14, but it picked up again since the movie.

    I found it harder to watch since they moved to digital animation. I know it's all about the writing, but it seemed to lose some of its soul when it went digital.
  • warlockuk 12 Oct 2010 15:54:11 19,185 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, but that's all Family Guy + The Simpsons do really. People just forgive 'em more.

    Also, SP can be more topical because they have a tiny turnaround time for making episodes.

    I'm a grumpy bastard.

  • Nexus_6 12 Oct 2010 15:54:12 3,889 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Conan Obrien was involved wasnt he?

    Around that time was bloody great
  • ecu 12 Oct 2010 15:55:31 77,019 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah Conan wrote a few episodes, but not many. He wrote the monorail episode and Homer Goes To College.
  • Deleted user 12 October 2010 15:57:22
    ecureuil wrote:
    Yeah Conan wrote a few episodes, but not many. He wrote the monorail episode and Homer Goes To College.

    Would be nice if one of the Sky channels put on his new show. He's pretty funny :)
  • Deleted user 12 October 2010 16:01:24
    The barbarian?
  • WoodenSpoon 12 Oct 2010 16:02:30 12,290 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They should have stopped a decade ago. As people have said though, the mid-late nineties ones are great.

    There are so many really great ones from back in the day though; when Homer gets hair, the one where Mr Burns wants to make a coat out of the puppies, the one where Homer goes to work for the Bond villain and the one with Grandpa and the WWII treasure.
  • thelzdking 12 Oct 2010 16:05:41 4,369 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The airshow episode was classic. And the 22 short stories one.
  • ecu 12 Oct 2010 16:06:52 77,019 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Every episode from season 2-9 was classic.
  • ronuds 12 Oct 2010 16:06:58 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CrispyXUK64 wrote:
    The barbarian?

    The Destroyer.

    What a nickname, huh?

    "Hi, I'm Conan. Friends call me The Destroyer."

    "Leave my house, please."
  • Nexus_6 12 Oct 2010 16:12:45 3,889 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    WoodenSpoon wrote:
    They should have stopped a decade ago. As people have said though, the mid-late nineties ones are great.

    There are so many really great ones from back in the day though; when Homer gets hair, the one where Mr Burns wants to make a coat out of the puppies, the one where Homer goes to work for the Bond villain and the one with Grandpa and the WWII treasure.

    The puppies episode was the first simpsons i ever saw.

    Seeee my vest, see my vest,
    Made from real
    gorilla chest!
  • dogbot 12 Oct 2010 16:14:55 2,276 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    It went properly crap around season 14, but it picked up again since the movie.

    When?

    It's had occasional moments of mirth, but few and far between, imo.
  • ronuds 12 Oct 2010 16:15:22 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I love that song!

    Seeeeeee myyyyyy loafers,
    made from gofers!
  • localnotail 12 Oct 2010 16:17:17 23,093 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So, did I win?

    A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

  • Page

    of 26 First / Last

Log in or register to reply