DC Universe Online official thread? Page 2

• Page

of 48 First / Last

• Rauha 14 Dec 2010 19:47:59 4,271 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    cheekybyname wrote:
    Rauha wrote:
    They could charge £10 as planned, if it fails then go Free-to-play and make cash off microtransactions.

Yeh but going free to play isn't a business plan as it looks bad all round and is similar to telling friends you're opting for bankruptcy. It makes sense when you aren't making money but not a great mission statement.

Not necessarily. I mean if not enough people are subbing, there's alot more money in making it free to play. Free will attract a greater audience, then you can make money off advertising and small dlc items (clothing, weapons, etc). It's like an ultimatum.

Free Realms (though that started as being free to play), it has over 10 million users (iirc) and makes all its money from advertising and microtransactions. You don't need a sub to be successful in MMOs.

Though we're all talking about doom and gloom and we haven't even played the game yet :)
  • Deleted user 14 December 2010 19:55:36
    Yes sure, i know that and don't dispute it. I was merely saying that if you don't drop a bollock in the first place then you can have a bath in money, if you do then you play catch up and make more money than you were whilst still wondering why others are money bathing.
  • Deleted user 14 December 2010 20:05:48
    The first successful console MMO will make more money than any other console game. So why is there so much ineptitude in designing one that appeals broadly then just not charging amounts for it that are similar to a drug addiction. £3.45 a month, now give me an interesting concept, fu*k super heroes , i'm not 12.

/in the same breath fu*k things like APB and GTA , i'm not 12.
  • JYM60 14 Dec 2010 20:44:14 16,901 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Try dis then

[8/10] http://www.youtube.com/lllBetterThanHalolll

• Rauha 14 Dec 2010 20:48:11 4,271 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ffs, thought it would be something other than that Valli pic. Urgh!

/downloads
  • Deleted user 14 December 2010 20:52:22
    lol, sigh, mind blown, retching , why?
  • natashaspice 14 Dec 2010 21:18:12 335 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    so i went to the gym and now im back sad to say its only reach half way..so thats 7.5gb in around 1hr 30mins. although not bad but come on do i really have to sit down and look at batman,wonder woman , superman and some other guy staring at the earth.
  • RyanDS 14 Dec 2010 22:09:42 9,829 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    10 more hours...
  • VandelayIndustries 14 Dec 2010 22:14:59 1,523 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Six hours! And I've only just crossed the halfway mark :(
  • Rauha 15 Dec 2010 00:37:21 4,271 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Juan ThemisB shared this

Gamespot preview of DCU, and it's very positive :)
  • Gambit1977 15 Dec 2010 08:49:07 10,384 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hmmm reached half way in two hours, left it on all night, only 3/4 through :(
  • RyanDS 15 Dec 2010 09:04:19 9,829 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Satrted at 7 last night. When I got up this morning was 16 minutes to go. So at least I managed to turn my PS3 off before I left for work, was dreading a meltdown.

At least it was my PS3 not my 360, can you imagine the spate of RRODs if this moves to the 360 as well? MS would have to write off another billion.
  • CptSupermarket 15 Dec 2010 09:36:58 296 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Download finished overnight for me. Created character about 8am. Nobody else online tho not a soul! hopefully will be some this evening.
  • andijames 15 Dec 2010 09:53:35 2,838 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Left mine downloading while i've come to work today. Should be interesting to see if i've managed to toast my PS3 slim by the time i get home! Should be ok but always nags at the back of my mind when i leave it running. Wish you could control it remotely online if just to see the progress screen etc.

Anyways will have a crack at this later on :) Looks rather fun!

vivir el momento

• Fletche 15 Dec 2010 10:04:19 3,418 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well left mine on overnight and all was good, not had chance to try it yet but looking foward to giving it a blast later
  • Jolly_Armadillo 15 Dec 2010 10:51:22 575 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So any impressions then? Also shall I get ps plus?

PSN: Jolly_Armadillo
    Xbox: Jolly Spartan

• Gambit1977 15 Dec 2010 11:05:18 10,384 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finally in! Have to say I love the character customisation. Gfx seem nice and sharp, intro is great. Just about to start playing properly.

One gripe. The menu is weird when you pause. Use R2 to scroll the lower menu to the cog to change your camera to invert :)
  • Accordi0n 15 Dec 2010 11:35:21 1,075 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    andijames wrote:
    Left mine downloading while i've come to work today. Should be interesting to see if i've managed to toast my PS3 slim by the time i get home! Should be ok but always nags at the back of my mind when i leave it running. Wish you could control it remotely online if just to see the progress screen etc.

If you have a PSP then you can
  • Instinct 15 Dec 2010 11:37:51 1,055 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone know how I can get a key for PC/PS3 without Playstation+?

Gamespot are all out, apparently.
  • RyanDS 15 Dec 2010 11:38:25 9,829 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Accordi0n wrote:
    andijames wrote:

Oooh, that would be great if they added PSP functionality, so you could use the auction house, messaging or crafting while away from the PS3. (Assuming they have AH and crafting in this MMO.)
  • andijames 15 Dec 2010 11:43:08 2,838 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Accordi0n wrote:
    andijames wrote:

I used to have one but got rid as i didn't use it much at all. Some times wish i kept it though!

vivir el momento

• Deleted user 15 December 2010 11:44:16
    only tried the character creation and the tutorial area but was initially struck at the nice sharp graphics. Seems to be a solid graphic engine too, runs really smoothly. Can't wait to get stick in tonight
  • Gambit1977 15 Dec 2010 11:58:01 10,384 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Spot on if you ask me. I spent a little time with City of Heroes but found the graphics and controls far too fiddly. SOE have done a great job with this, I hope it does find a Market. Once you reach Metropolis theres tons going on, some frames of animation deleted on distant characters but very smart.
  • natashaspice 15 Dec 2010 12:02:48 335 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @telefunken same here. Liked the intro movie aswell was actually hoping that it was a little bit longer. Only tried the character creation. Mental ability,with flying powers gonna try and give some proper impression later on tonight. So far I'm impressed though.
  • Progguitarist 15 Dec 2010 13:42:29 10,532 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Had a quick blast this morning. Seemed quite fun and intuitive - even if it was just a tutorial. Will be loads of fun in groups I reckon.
  • Accordi0n 15 Dec 2010 13:54:09 1,075 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sorry, i hadnt realised that the update takes place within the game, so PSP remote play is not possible. I have had some good use from it downloading demos and games just before returning from a holiday though.

My download is going fast though, unless it slows down it looks to be finished well within 3 hours…or is there another update after the this one…
  • Progguitarist 15 Dec 2010 14:13:39 10,532 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's the only update.
  • RyanDS 15 Dec 2010 15:03:11 9,829 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is there some sort of clan or guild system in this? If so shall we give it a try?

• Jolly_Armadillo 15 Dec 2010 18:00:46 575 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just got plus! I'm one of you fancy pants special offer people, now let the downloading commence! :)

PSN: Jolly_Armadillo
    Xbox: Jolly Spartan

• Page

of 48 First / Last