Dodgy bulk MS points on eBay

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 7 October 2010 19:52:13
    I've asked about this before on another forum, but I never got a decent answer. I know you EG lot are knowledgable folk though...

Some of you might have seen people on eBay selling 16,000 MS points for around £20, or 8,000 points for a bit less. The seller apparently sends you the login details for a gamertag, which has the points loaded on. You then use those points to download whatever you want to your HDD.

The listings also usually tell you to use the points within a couple of days.

Now then. I'm not suggesting anyone take up these offers, since there's a good chance they'll land you with a ban or some other trouble. But:

- Has anyone bought some of these? What happened?

- Where are these points even coming from?
  • AlcohollicA 7 Oct 2010 20:11:05 2,355 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Arent XBLA downloads linked to the xbox profile they are downloaded with?
  • siro 7 Oct 2010 20:11:34 1,826 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They are new accounts on which the sellers buy points with stolen credit card data. I didn't ever see any negative reports about it, but chances are pretty good that at some point you'll be punished. You're involved in credit card fraud and easy to follow in this case, especially if you have your xbox registered with MS.
  • Retroid Moderator 7 Oct 2010 20:13:51 44,505 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    AlcohollicA wrote:
    The profile itself & the console & HDD they were bought on. That's what this is relying on.

It also sounds incredibly, INCREDIBLY dodgy.
  • InfiniteFury 7 Oct 2010 20:15:46 864 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah it'll be one of those things where even as an innocent purchaser you'll lose the proceeds of a crime - and it certainly sounds like illegal shenanigans.

At best I'd imagine you're stripped of the remaining points and anything you purchased with them. I say at best, that's probably exactly and all that would happen. But unless the guy with the credit card never checks what he's paying for, I'd say it looks pretty inevitable.
  • Deleted user 7 October 2010 20:17:12
    AlcohollicA wrote:

I think they are, but any account can play games downloaded to an HDD. The owner's gamertag probably has to be set up on that machine though.

Siro, cheers for the explanation - sounds about right.
  • Deleted user 7 October 2010 20:17:56
    Starts to twitch slightly peeks through blinds for the fuzz.

VBargain though worked ok for me.
  • Harmonica 7 Oct 2010 20:19:33 966 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you want to know how they are so cheap the answer is they were bought with stolen credit cards.

MS don't deduct the points from your account, no.
  • Deleted user 7 October 2010 20:21:27
    Harmonica wrote:

You've bought some then?! :o
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 7 Oct 2010 20:22:26 37,677 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sounds like classic money laundering.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Retroid Moderator 7 Oct 2010 20:24:36 44,505 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I buy stuff Mrs Retroid also wants to play on her 360 using my profile on a USB stick, that way she can play it on her own profile and I can play it on any machine I'm logged into Live on.
  • Harmonica 7 Oct 2010 20:24:44 966 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kitsuneyo wrote:
    Harmonica wrote:

You've bought some then?! :o

A year or more ago I bought some from a US website which were discounted. Lots and lots of people did. Nobody ever reported having the points removed, and frankly, I doubt it is within MS jurisdiction to do so. They take issue with the credit card companies directly and lodge legal action that way. They don't target the consumers.

edit: someone from MS directly commented on it saying they are aware of it but don't go after people who use the points. Probably unless you're pouring thousands of points into the system.
  • Deleted user 7 October 2010 20:28:51
    I thought MS's jurisdiction as regards Xbox Live accounts was whatever the fuck MS say it is. It's not like they're afraid to ban people.

Was really tempted to buy some myself when I first saw them on eBay a couple of months ago. Very easy to mistake them for a lucky bargain on there.
  • Harmonica 7 Oct 2010 20:36:39 966 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The only point it becomes a problem worth pursuing is when the credit card companies turn around and say 'all these transactions were funded with stolen credit cards'. At which point MS go after the person who stole them and bought the points cards.
  • Harmonica 7 Oct 2010 20:39:57 966 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I didn't read the OP completely, to the bit where it says 'you get an account with the points loaded onto'.

No. This is not how it works if it's the more legit version of it.

You just get a code for the points which you can put onto your account.

Don't go in for any of this stuff because that account WILL be closed because it was setup for dodgy purposes. You're making yourselves liable that way.
  • siro 7 Oct 2010 20:44:07 1,826 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Harmonica wrote:
    I didn't read the OP completely, to the bit where it says 'you get an account with the points loaded onto'.

No. This is not how it works if it's the more legit version of it.

You just get a code for the points which you can put onto your account.

Don't go in for any of this stuff because that account WILL be closed because it was setup for dodgy purposes. You're making yourselves liable that way.

How the fuck about first reading the OP and other posts before blabbering on in about 87 messages which lead to nothing? But then you couldn't just argue against everyone right?

This post is still stupid and shows that you didn't read the rest.
  • Deleted user 7 October 2010 20:44:11
    And once that account is closed, the stuff you buy with the points becomes invalid, right?

So it's a proper rip-off then.
  • Harmonica 7 Oct 2010 20:49:45 966 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    siro wrote:

Nice attitude you have there, thanks for contributing!
  • siro 7 Oct 2010 20:51:37 1,826 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No, the seller is not actually ripping you off. You could use up all the points before the account is closed and you can then use it with any account on the machine you bought it with. You can use all the stuff, but the other account gets closed after a few days (since the Credit Card gets blocked and all payments blocked. That's the business idea.

That the account gets blocked that quickly also indicates how regular this kind of communication happens to Microsoft, and that they have set up a standard process for it. At some point they will not be happy anymore to cover the costs of the freeloaders (they still have to pay the content provider) and kick everyone's ass involved. If the police didn't do so beforehand.
  • siro 7 Oct 2010 20:53:27 1,826 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Harmonica wrote:
    siro wrote:

Much obliged. Unlike you, I did contribute properly.
  • siro 7 Oct 2010 20:56:42 1,826 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Area88 wrote:
    Can someone link me please!

Couldn't see any on Ebay.co.uk

They don't have any on Ebay at the moment, it seems. The German seller active for months also is gone. Hopefully he got bust.

You can check here: link removed

You can also chat with some of the guys there. It's quite interesting how open they discuss this stuff.
  • Harmonica 7 Oct 2010 20:57:03 966 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    siro wrote:
    Harmonica wrote:
    siro wrote:

I was forgetting you are super secret moderator who gets to chew random people out when they admit their mistakes. Sorry.
  • siro 7 Oct 2010 21:03:22 1,826 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Harmonica wrote:
    siro wrote:
    Harmonica wrote:
    siro wrote:

I was forgetting you are super secret moderator who gets to chew random people out when they admit their mistakes. Sorry.

You admitted your mistake, and still went on repeating it.

Anyway, you now edited another comment, and added info on a Microsoft person commenting on this. That's very interesting, do you remember where?
    I could imagine some service person saying such things, but I doubt an official representative would say that as it leaves the door open to those who are only kept from breaking the law by possible punishment.

• Harmonica 7 Oct 2010 21:05:12 966 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Even if I did I don't think I would be likely to tell you about it at this point.

Yes it was someone in a decent capacity but no it wasn't in an official statement.
  • Lukey__b 7 Oct 2010 21:16:00 3,716 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Did you change your gamertag?

'Sup, what's guanine?

• Xardan 7 Oct 2010 23:56:56 717 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I dont understand why the seller says - ''Anything that you buy with this profile CAN be used on your orginal profile.'' how would that work?

“You are what you write.”

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous