Cell emulating PS2

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • finexi 4 Oct 2010 18:07:51 2,785 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    First of all... SORRY TO ALL OF YOU BECAUSE I CAN NOT TELL MORE ABOUT. I'm risking a lot for posting this but I have been using this forum for years and I think you need to know this.

The Truth is that a REAL PS2 FULL SOFTWARE EMULATOR FOR PS3 exists... It seems that Sony made the Cell/PS2 "bridge software" NOT to emulate a PS2 but to give developers the tools to "make HD versions" of old PS2 software.

Lets explain this... As you all remember, in JUNE 2009 Sony registered a patent for a FULL SOFTWARE EMULATION of the PS2 environment on the Cell. All PS3 were happy because we all expected a reintroduction of the PS2 compatibilty on the PS3... But it never came... To us.

What happened here? Why Sony made such a thing like this complex emulation and then didnt use it al all? Well.. They are using it... A lot.

Remeber the original 60Gb PS3? Yeah... With FULL HARDWARE compatibilty with PS2 because it included the PS2 processors inside. Then came the 80Gb Half Software/Half Hardware emulation with one of the processors (Graphics) inside and the Emotion Engine gone but decently emulated via Cell.

Then, all PS2 emulation went gone on all new PS3's. All the users went mad but, with time, we accepted this loss.

The reason why the new consoles didnt have a FULL SOFTWARE emulation was because Sony "did not have time" to emulate the GRAPHIC processor. So, for economic reasons, they took off the Graphics Synthetizer from the PS3 and all emulation was gone. For a System Developer (as we are... Dont ask!!!) it seems like a ridiculous reason because they didn't have to emulate the GS at all, just to REDIRECT the Graphics call (or made a pre-compiling to the libraries on the emulator) to make the PS3 GS to draw the screen and just emulate the 2 secondary processors that only a couple of game uses (again, dont ask).

But then, in June 2009 came the patent when Sony made clear that ALL OF THE PS2 environment has finally been emulated on the PS3 Cell, INCLUDING THE GRAPHIC PROCESSOR. What Sony NEVER TOLD is that this "emulator" can take advantage of the PS3 NATIVE RESOLUTION and not limited to PS2's screen resolution. In other words, a PS2 game running with this can be reprogrammed to take advantage of the "HD" screen.

Then, in November 2009 we received the "God of War Collection"... And no one made the connection.

Yes, all the new "Collections" are running via an EMULATOR on the CELL with this Screen resolution expansion. What the developers have to do is to change the graphics assests in their games, NOT THE CODE. Every game in this collections are running the same good old PS2 code from the original games.

Other interesting thing... This Emulator CAN RUN an original PS2 game on ALL PS3 models. It seems that Sony will not release it while the PS2 is still selling. After they put the PS2 to sleep MAYBE (just MAYBE) they will made this active via a firmware update... Or maybe not since the conversions sell so well and they can made a lot more money selling them.

Sorry I can not post this with my own account but I dont want to be in trouble.

Big hugs to everyone!

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27469476&tag=topics;title

I think his theory makes sense in every aspect. What about you?
  • Deleted user 4 October 2010 18:09:04
    I, for one, am outraged by his statement of the obvious.
  • Rauha 4 Oct 2010 18:10:16 4,271 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I like HD remakes.
  • Weebleboy 4 Oct 2010 18:10:19 369 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think he's been drinking.
  • Deleted user 4 October 2010 18:11:41
    I need TO START capitalising words more often, it LOOKS awesome.
  • finexi 4 Oct 2010 18:15:15 2,785 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I agree with Micro_Explosion.'s LAST POST.
  • VandelayIndustries 4 Oct 2010 18:22:28 1,523 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Revealing this SHOCKING turn of events on the forums of Gamespot.com makes it all the more BELIEVABLE.

Proper Woodward & Bernstein shit going down.
  • Rauha 4 Oct 2010 18:24:29 4,271 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Please don't capitalise; in the above post I saw only the words 'shocking' and 'believable'. :(
  • Cappy 4 Oct 2010 18:26:15 12,019 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pure fantasy.

The HD collections are new versions of the games in question, there are too many changes which an emulator couldn't support such as the addition of widescreen support to ICO which indicate that these are new games built on the original source code.
  • Phily50 4 Oct 2010 18:29:06 2,203 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Didn't DF do an article about some sort of USB device that would emulate PS2 games on ALL PS3's?
  • VandelayIndustries 4 Oct 2010 18:29:33 1,523 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rauha wrote:
    Please don't capitalise; in the above post I saw only the words 'shocking' and 'believable'. :(
    Ok, it is quite liberating though :)
  • Deleted user 4 October 2010 18:31:01
    Phily50 wrote:
    Didn't DF do an article about some sort of USB device that would emulate PS2 games on ALL PS3's?

Did it mention Bobby Kotick?
  • Rauha 4 Oct 2010 18:51:35 4,271 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    VandelayIndustries wrote:
    Rauha wrote:

Thank you VANDELAYindustries. :p
  • King_Edward 4 Oct 2010 19:02:24 11,454 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Phily50 wrote:
    You might mean this. It's no more than a patent at the moment.
  • SuperBas 4 Oct 2010 19:29:42 1,467 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd rather pay for God of War level remakes than getting shit PS2 quality for free.
  • finexi 4 Oct 2010 19:51:16 2,785 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SuperBas wrote:
    I'd rather pay for God of War level remakes than getting shit PS2 quality for free.
    You serious? God of War level remakes? God of War Collection was awful: No Dolby Digital support, shit cutscenes, crappy textures, horrible Menus (if I want to play the other God of War game, I need to go back to the XMB and reset the game, wow). Hope Sly and Team ICO are better.
  • Gambit1977 4 Oct 2010 20:12:24 10,159 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    finexi wrote:
    SuperBas wrote:
    You serious? God of War level remakes? God of War Collection was awful: No Dolby Digital support, shit cutscenes, crappy textures, horrible Menus (if I want to play the other God of War game, I need to go back to the XMB and reset the game, wow). Hope Sly and Team ICO are better.

So basically what you'd get with an emulator then?
  • Lexx87 4 Oct 2010 20:21:33 20,863 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rauha wrote:
    VandelayIndustries wrote:
    Rauha wrote:

Thank you VANDELAYindustries. :p

I need some latex actually.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Deleted user 4 October 2010 20:29:55
    SuperBas wrote:
    well if the rumoured PS2 addon comes out, i doubt it'll be free. :p
  • Carlo 4 Oct 2010 20:37:33 18,093 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FRAUD ACTIONS!!!

PSN ID: Djini

• RobTheBuilder 26 Nov 2012 17:29:24 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I thought I'd recall this thread rather than start a new one. Just saw this noted on the ePSXe site:

Sony hiring PS2 emudevs for PS3
    By: Hard core Rikki
    November 6th, 2012
    1:22 am
    Sony is apparently looking for experienced developpers to take on PS2 emulation on the PS3. This could bode well for either bringing back PS2 backward-compatibility for either disc-based titles or purchases from PSN.
    Curiously, employment is offered at London/liverpool in particular. Wether a serious offer or a 'trap', time will tell.

Quote:
    PS2 Emulation Debug Engineer

Job Type: Temporary Booking
    Salary/Rate: Dependant upon experience
    Date Posted: 05/11/2012
    Department: SCEE R&D
    Closing Date: 16/11/2012

Required Skills:
    - Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
    - Proficient in C/C++ programming, and experienced working with assembly code (3+ years)
    - PS2 platform experience: Have worked on one or more PS2 titles.
    - Some familiarity with MIPS assembler.
    - Knowledge of PS2 subsystems such as IOP, VU, VIF. (2+ years)
    - Good ability to communicate results from debugging, verbally and in writing.

Preferred Skills:
    - PS3 development experience: Worked on one or more PS3 titles.
    - Experience developing under Linux/Unix environment.
    - Experience developing on multiple PS2 subsystems.
    - Interest in video games and/or emulators.
  • spamdangled 26 Nov 2012 17:39:16 27,410 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So... Gaikai? Does that not render the need for software emu question moot?

Looks bogus to me.

Interest in games is optional, but experience developing for PS2 is essential?

Note no citation as to where he found that ad or any link to it.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• RobTheBuilder 26 Nov 2012 18:42:54 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @darkmorgado Yeah I wasn't sure about it but thought worth a look. I guess you don't need to love games to be a good developer.
  • Flying_Pig 26 Nov 2012 20:07:17 11,151 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Added to the fact that they're already bringing some PS2 titles to PSN. Although not many and no good ones....
  • spamdangled 26 Nov 2012 20:13:27 27,410 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I can't actually find that post on the forum. Got a direct link?

(not disbelieving you, I want to see how other people reacted to it)

Edited by darkmorgado at 20:18:00 26-11-2012

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• RobTheBuilder 26 Nov 2012 20:48:52 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think it was a site linked to from epsxe's download site. I'll have a look
  • Deleted user 26 November 2012 21:15:43
    Either for ps4 or more stuff for psn. I can't believe they'd be chucking money down on free emu on ps3 at this point. Not that it can do it anyway.
  • RobTheBuilder 26 Nov 2012 22:34:24 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    http://www.playstationjobs.co.uk/vacancy/561-PS2-Emulation-Debug-Engineer&page=1
  • Deleted user 26 November 2012 22:37:04
    It's just debugging for any PS2 ports they do.
  • RobTheBuilder 26 Nov 2012 23:48:30 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Aargh. Well that was as boring and unfortunate as expected. Ah well!
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next