first person superhero game possibility?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • guardsman117 1 Oct 2010 13:44:54 21 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago

[u]What can we define as a superhero game type[/u]

For my final major project at university I'm creating a superhero game what I first came up with was creating it in the first person perspective, think mirrors edge mixed with superman returns, this dynamic would have it so it gives you the full link between the hero and the player.

Now I have a debate coming up that question's whether the ethics of this are possible since some people have brought into account the confusion it'll bring making players disorientated though if done it the right way it could be a good thing.

Alongside this for the game I'm going to be creating martial arts to play in the game, switching between three styles two of which have been decided as wing chun and myai thai, this is taking the idea from jedi knight jedi academy where each style is used for different sets wing chun for a great number of opponents and myai thai for single strong opponents.

with the first person perspective though I have thought of ways to do this but still dont know whether this will work, so hopefully this will bring healthy debate.

for more details and maybe talking contact me nathanhall@live.co.uk
  • DFawkes 1 Oct 2010 14:12:06 22,064 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Darkness. It is good. Or Rogue Trooper, that's pretty good. Or Judge Dredd, a bit average but still feels like a Dredd game should.

All seemed to focus on the things the make the character awesome, so I think that's the key.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• BinaryBob101 1 Oct 2010 14:15:24 21,966 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Following on from Fawkes...without being too much like Superman - who is ultimately pretty indestructible.

Work out what the alter-ego will be like and include that too, make the superhero believable and give him/her a human story and deep character.

Also, think hard about the hero's weakness and try not to make it anything too daft, like the colour yellow!

Goose fat is sponsored by:

Lens Flare

• DFawkes 1 Oct 2010 14:18:36 22,064 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Also thinking about it, do look at the Chronicles of Riddick game as it's probably the closest existing game to your martial Arts focused one. He might not be a superhero, but as far as first person melee combat goes it's one of the best.

Edited for App messing up my post.

• guardsman117 1 Oct 2010 14:20:17 21 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    with the game my main focus is on what the player focuses developing his powers during the story , his powers wont be that big at the start of the game. Though what I was thinking on doing was taking the prototype approach at the start of the game and have you preview the way your powers will develop but trick the player in the sense that the powers they will see will only be powers developed about 2/5's into the game so when they go past this point I want the player to go fuck how are they going to go further than this which will entice the player the play the game more.

for the powers side of the game he has fusion based powers to which then he can aquire more energy from water around the environment.
  • guardsman117 1 Oct 2010 14:21:07 21 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    thanks dfawkes i totally forgot about that game
  • guardsman117 1 Oct 2010 14:21:12 21 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Post deleted
  • SClaw 1 Oct 2010 14:29:14 826 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Don't forget Oblivion. Ok, not technically a masterpiece of the arts but it did handle first person close combat in a similiar way.
  • DFawkes 1 Oct 2010 14:50:18 22,064 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you're going for the gradual building a super character route, I think level design becomes a lot more vital. As you introduce powers, create situations that require them so the player learns.

One obvious example is Bioshock. You get given the Bolt power. Then you get presented with a door that required a shock to open. Soon after, it presents some enemies in a pool of water, along with an ally suggesting you shock the water to stun them.

You get a power, a quick tutorial that feels naturally part of the story, and should hopefully know how to use it again. Of course how much handholding you is to do is up to you - maybe it's worth leaving some things for players to discover.

• Deleted user 1 October 2010 14:52:24
    guardsman117 wrote:
    Now I have a debate coming up that question's whether the ethics of this are possible

Ethics?

Do you play a superhero who in his spare time burns orphanages or something?
  • ecureuil 1 Oct 2010 14:54:42 76,024 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You play a superhero in every FPS.
  • NimbusTLD 1 Oct 2010 14:55:54 65 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    You play a superhero in every FPS.

This.
  • DFawkes 1 Oct 2010 14:57:26 22,064 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not in Operation Flashpoint, you're just another soldier in that.

• jonsaan 1 Oct 2010 14:59:07 25,253 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Do a sex scene with the invisible man. It'll be awesome. Minimal work for you too.

FCUTA!

• Deleted user 1 October 2010 15:25:59
    Spider-man Mirrors Edge = Win
  • dutchspeededup 1 Oct 2010 16:31:43 4,368 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    pswii6o wrote:
    Spider-man Mirrors Edge = Win

Mirror's Edge 2 = Win
  • RM2KMaster 1 Oct 2010 17:16:12 3,283 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is this a first year FMP?

Because you're batting wwaaaayyyyy out of your league if it is.
  • PearOfAnguish 1 Oct 2010 17:26:30 6,989 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dark Messiah of Might and Magic had a good melee combat system in the first person. It was a little imprecise and awkward but you could pull off some awesome moves, a lot of the fun was to do with interaction with the scenery, kicking dudes into spiked walls or shooting ice on the ground to make people slide over cliffs and that kind of thing.
  • Deleted user 1 October 2010 17:31:40
    DFawkes wrote:
    The Darkness.
    It is good.

Or Rogue Trooper,
    that's pretty good.

Or Judge Dredd,
    a bit average but still
    feels like a Dredd game should.

That's a terrible poem.
  • DFawkes 1 Oct 2010 17:45:37 22,064 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :D

• guardsman117 1 Oct 2010 18:50:18 21 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    to rm2k master nah mate final year major project, been studying maya for 2 years now udk for a year and to meme, i want the player in the story to question whether killing is wrong and all depending on the situation, though it wont be the full game i make I'll be making something interactive for my final show, what ill do is as well once I finish it the ppl who give advice and what not ill send an exe to show you how it went.

but want i want to do is get as much research as possible for my concept document for my university viva(first presentation) in december
  • AHiFi 1 Oct 2010 22:00:57 1,665 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I would think Breakdown is worth researching for your project - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakdown_(video_game)
  • guardsman117 1 Oct 2010 23:05:38 21 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    cheers Ahifi ill go buy original xbox to play on :) unless u can play on 360 ?
  • DFawkes 2 Oct 2010 02:51:35 22,064 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Breakdown is on the compatibility list, so should work on a 360.

• Genji 2 Oct 2010 02:54:01 19,691 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Deus Ex is pretty superheroic, once you upgrade your legs.
  • DFawkes 2 Oct 2010 02:57:59 22,064 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Deus Ex is actually a very good one. You do get the gradual build up of abilities, but don't really get specific prompting on situations. It's more up to you to decide if you want to be the kind of guy that sneaks in and hacks turrets, or bursts in and blasts everyone. The level design allows you to use the powers at your disposal without ever talking down to you.

• w00t 2 Oct 2010 03:14:29 10,976 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    AHiFi wrote:
    I would think Breakdown is worth researching for your project - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakdown_(video_game)

plus 1

very good attempt at FPS superheroics

Edit: where's my damn plus sign!?

Edited by w00t at 03:15:21 02-10-2010

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• Dirtbox 2 Oct 2010 07:16:58 76,341 posts
    Seen 39 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Infamous and Prototype.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Genji 2 Oct 2010 07:24:16 19,691 posts