Warhammer 40K (with the models and everything) Page 4

• Page

of 22 First / Last

• Stickman 11 Apr 2011 20:01:45 29,422 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hey, don't get me wrong, I'd absolutely love a no-frills, top-down replica of this. I'd be the best thing since sliced anything. Personally, it might make me contemplate playing the game on the tabletop; just having a safe practice first without the hassle of organising a game with someone willing to put up with me fucking everything up.

I don't know how pricey M:TG stuff is, but I do actually think GW would lose out on revenue in the long run if they did a digital version.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• thegamesthething 11 Apr 2011 20:20:38 1,079 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    L_Franko wrote:
    Tell you what I am really enjoying at the mo is the Horus Heresy books.
    Up to Mechanicum, book no.9 I think all about the war on Mars, but not started it just yet. Might start it tonight.

It did get a bit boring in one or two of them but the last two I read picked up the pace.

Yeah, I love the books too, OK it's probably going to take 40 or so get to the end but it's a big galaxy. Some have been less than great, but the drip drip drip of the various stories tying together is fantastic. 'The First Heretic' which you have yet to reach, is probably the best of the lot. 'Mechanicum' is great too, if Titans and treachery and extremely large firefights float your boat.

• thegamesthething 11 Apr 2011 20:25:42 1,079 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And here are some Orks

http://img27.imageshack.us/i/img2251r.jpg/
  • phAge 11 Apr 2011 20:26:21 24,280 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've read a few 40K novels (only "Nemesis" from the HH series, though), and I have to admit that it gets a bit old rather fast. Only so many times people can get killed by chainswords and bolters before you've sorta seen it all before.

"Titanicus" by Abnett was pretty great, though. What I'd really like was a book by him with the Eldar as the good guys, maybe taking on some Orks or 'Nids.
  • RichieTenenbaum 11 Apr 2011 20:35:35 2,164 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    thegamesthething wrote:
    And here are some Orks

http://img27.imageshack.us/i/img2251r.jpg/

This is lovely. These are metal, I assume.
  • thegamesthething 11 Apr 2011 20:37:28 1,079 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ta very, and no, clip together most-basic -in-the-range plastics from the 40K Assault on Black Reach box set. Given everything else in there, the Orks shown are about 80p :)
  • Stickman 11 Apr 2011 20:38:56 29,422 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Looks like the warboss out of the Assault on Black Reach box. Very nice!

phAge, there is a book out written from an Eldar point of view. Personally, I thought it was a bit shit.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• thegamesthething 11 Apr 2011 20:45:30 1,079 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I prefer the HH series to all the other 40K novels I've read, simply because it's like reading the Iliad or something, myths from thousands of years ago and all that. Read from the start, it's a 40K history lesson, setting the scene for everything else.

RichieTen, here's the above models done properly, warboss is 4th image along.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat550004a&prodId=prod1570027

/sobs onto mixing palette
  • phAge 11 Apr 2011 20:46:40 24,280 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Stickman wrote:
    Looks like the warboss out of the Assault on Black Reach box. Very nice!

phAge, there is a book out written from an Eldar point of view. Personally, I thought it was a bit shit.
    Yeah, I know. "Eldar Prophecy" or summat. Didn't pick it up as the reviews were, as you say, a bit shit. :)
  • Stickman 11 Apr 2011 20:49:59 29,422 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can't remember if I chucked all my books away when I moved house. If they're in the garage I'll send it over for you if you like.

The best 40k novels I've read, by an absolute mile, are the Gaunt's Ghosts series by the ubiquitous Mr Abnett. I've even been known to call someone a fething gakhead* at times.

*quietly, so no-one else hears

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• phAge 11 Apr 2011 20:53:53 24,280 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Abnett is by far the best 40K author out there. Tbh, I often prefer the shorter 40K stories, as they are often a lot more interesting and with more original themes. The one about the undercover White Scars agent infiltrating a Chaos Marine battlebarge to kill the commander still sends chills up my spine...

Basically, he ends up in a dreadnought-sarcophagus, unhooked from the actual dreadnought chassis, doomed to spend eternity being held alive by the machinery inside.Nasty.

Is Inferno! still being published by GW? That one had some great stories in it.
  • RichieTenenbaum 11 Apr 2011 21:01:21 2,164 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    This thread made me remember how great 40k is. Just finished watching the Ultramarines movie.

It's a bit cheap, but a great proof of concept.
  • phAge 11 Apr 2011 21:06:35 24,280 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    This thread made me remember how great 40k is. Just finished watching the Ultramarines movie.

Huh? Is that out yet?
  • RichieTenenbaum 11 Apr 2011 21:31:52 2,164 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    thegamesthething wrote:
    I prefer the HH series to all the other 40K novels I've read, simply because it's like reading the Iliad or something, myths from thousands of years ago and all that. Read from the start, it's a 40K history lesson, setting the scene for everything else.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat550004a&prodId=prod1570027

Dude, yours looks pretty great.

I used to collect WH40K when a young 'un and I was terrible at painting them. I seriously think it's a great thing for kids to get into though. I ended up reading loads at it's properly creative and social.
  • RichieTenenbaum 11 Apr 2011 21:34:15 2,164 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:

Huh? Is that out yet?

Came out in Jan I think.

It's only 70 mins long, and the animation reminded me of the remake of Captain Scarlett, but it's WH40K and thus cool.

Could have done with better baddies then Chaos, though.
  • thegamesthething 11 Apr 2011 21:43:28 1,079 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    thegamesthething wrote:

Dude, yours looks pretty great.

I used to collect WH40K when a young 'un and I was terrible at painting them. I seriously think it's a great thing for kids to get into though. I ended up reading loads at it's properly creative and social.

It's much much easier now than it used to be. Great plastic models, foundation paints for a base coat and washes for shading, plus a bit of highlighting, mean any fool can create something half-decent looking (see above). Go into your nearest GW, hold your nose if necessary, ask them for a painting tutorial, they'll give you something to paint, and the paint, and show you how.

Release the inner geek.
  • spamdangled 11 Apr 2011 22:38:45 27,197 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    I've read a few 40K novels (only "Nemesis" from the HH series, though), and I have to admit that it gets a bit old rather fast. Only so many times people can get killed by chainswords and bolters before you've sorta seen it all before.

"Titanicus" by Abnett was pretty great, though. What I'd really like was a book by him with the Eldar as the good guys, maybe taking on some Orks or 'Nids.

Try some of the Inquisition stuff - Eisenhorn especially, Ravenor is also brilliant.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• RabidChild 11 Apr 2011 22:39:32 2,283 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The plastics are amazing now. I'm so glad they're getting rid of the metals, they're a right pain in the arse to put together, and break if you just look at them funny.
  • spamdangled 11 Apr 2011 22:40:05 27,197 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:

Huh? Is that out yet?

Came out on 29th November last year.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Leolian 11 Apr 2011 23:11:19 1,054 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Here are a few of my spider
    Not great photos I'm afraid, will try some more tomorrow and aim to get the whole model in focus.
  • Stickman 11 Apr 2011 23:25:15 29,422 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's really lovely. I've not seen one done in brown before, but it makes it look very realistic. Nicely painted wood too.

That was my favourite ever model they've made. Then they brought out the dreadknight.

Looks great though, nice one.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Khanivor 11 Apr 2011 23:58:09 39,907 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've thrown a bunch of old White Dwarfs out recently. Kept a few but...
  • thegamesthething 12 Apr 2011 00:11:15 1,079 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've recently moved 20 years worth of WD, plus all the rulebooks, and the Imperial Armour books, and stuck them all on one set of shelves. Slightly concerned they are going to pull the house down, possibly this whole side of the street.

Brilliant spider Leolian, like Stickman says, very realistic, muted colours. Cool as, basically.
  • Soul_quake 12 Apr 2011 07:16:25 237 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ahhh.... such a dear dear time to get involved with 40k. Still 5th Ed. Rules are really good fun, even with the exploits. Busy kit bashing some spare Space Wolf bits and Grey Knights to make a dual purpose force.
  • Leolian 12 Apr 2011 08:13:03 1,054 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks fellas. Lotta love for this thread. Figured there's a few closet wargamers on eg.
  • LeoliansBro 12 Apr 2011 08:26:04 41,903 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Spider looks superb how it's finished. I take it you didn't use the four-eyed shaman in the end then? Awesome - you can slot him in as a custom nutjob in one of your regiments.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Soul_quake 12 Apr 2011 08:31:14 237 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Loving playing (when I get the chance) 40k at the moment. Space Wolves FTW! Gave up on Fantasy, after the Demon/Dark Elves/Vampire Counts debacle last edition. Still haven't got back into it, even with the launch of 8th Ed.
  • Leolian 12 Apr 2011 08:41:08 1,054 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've added a few more
  • Page

of 22 First / Last