Warhammer 40K (with the models and everything) Page 17

• Page

of 22 First / Last

• oldschoolsoviet 11 Jun 2013 22:07:46 5,485 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Doomspoon

I'll have a gander through the RoC books. They're here......somewhere......
  • Doomspoon 11 Jun 2013 22:26:29 2,478 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers. I'm adamant I didn't imagine it.
  • EMULOUS 11 Jun 2013 22:52:06 22 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Warhammer 40K MMO coming to PC,PS4,XBox1 in 2015. First races to be announced Space Marines,Choas Marines, Orks and Eldar. Made by naughty bear developer Behaviour Interactive
  • Doomspoon 11 Jun 2013 23:25:42 2,478 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    @Doomspoon

I'll have a gander through the RoC books. They're here......somewhere......
    Done a little more investigating. Having not seen the books for over 20 years my memory has let me down a little. The "Mary had a little goat" is on the beastman picture on page 127 of "Lost and the Damned". Page 84 has "The Dark Tongue" rune translations and page 79 has a diagonal sword with "Disembowel and howl" inscribed on it. There's other vertical swords with stuff on that I haven't checked as I've been looking at a poor scan of said book.

Not sure why I had it stuck in my mind that it was Norse runes but I think there's some in the standard rulebooks of the era and as I've said it's been about 20 years since I ever looked at any.

Cheers for the response though.
  • oldschoolsoviet 12 Jun 2013 20:02:15 5,485 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've got "Slaves...." handy for the Khorne fluff, but couldn't see much in it. "Lost...." must still be in the loft. And GW/fantasy has pilfered from every bit of cultural history going, so it's hardly a surprise, certainly remember Norse runes used extensively for the Space Wolves fluff, Squats too.

Anyway:

Beaky1
    Beaky2
    Evolved into a 'crouched after an attack' pose, as if he's poised for another lunging swing. Kinda works.

WE1
    WE2

Also ordered some Beastmen for the classic style, and figuring out my Havocs.
  • Doomspoon 12 Jun 2013 21:11:11 2,478 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers again, I certainly remember a presence of Norse runes in some of the publications. Seeing as a lot of the resources from White Dwarf, Warhammer and Fighting Fantasy books were reused I've probably seen numerous similar illustrations and merged the memories a bit.

Edited by Doomspoon at 21:11:46 12-06-2013
  • Stickman 12 Jun 2013 23:46:25 29,666 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nice World Eaters. Very Khorne! Great pose on Beaky too.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• GuiltySpark 13 Jun 2013 01:23:55 6,401 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    WE1
    WE2
    They look very pink.

Get bent.

• oldschoolsoviet 13 Jun 2013 20:01:25 5,485 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A professional photographer I am not. Vita cam, dodgy lights, ach.
  • Zomeguy 13 Jun 2013 22:49:06 74 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyone has info about the "Eternal Crusade" MMO?
  • Dr_Mech 14 Jun 2013 01:41:21 1,035 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Only thing I've heard so far is that it is by a company that tends to make browser based games and that the playable races are:
    Orks.
    Space Marines.
    Chaos Space Marines.
    Eldar.

If they do the whole WoW/Warhammer online thing they'll probably do the split of Space Marine/Eldar = friends (even though the two freaking hate each other and only ally if they really, really have to) and CSM/Ork (to be fair all the CSMs have to do is promise the Orks a good fight and possibly a fancy hat and they'll go for it).
  • phAge 3 Jul 2013 18:17:08 24,372 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Painted up my first Dreadball team. It's not 40K, but considering I spent less than 30 mins a model (I'm a notoriously slow painter), I think they came out alright.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/6719/xpyn.jpg

Next up is the Orx team - standard Goff Ork fare.

Edited by phAge at 18:19:44 03-07-2013
  • 4gate 4 Jul 2013 22:54:25 362 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think they're better than the ones Mantic use for the box shots, much smoother silver, nice one :)
  • Stickman 5 Jul 2013 00:01:31 29,666 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What's the game like, phAge? Seen Beasts of War and Miniwargaming doing a couple of vids but not bothered watching as assumed it would be shit.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• phAge 5 Jul 2013 07:21:22 24,372 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Stickman wrote:
    What's the game like, phAge? Seen Beasts of War and Miniwargaming doing a couple of vids but not bothered watching as assumed it would be shit.
    Only played one full game so far (as well as a couple of solo test runs), but so far I really like it. The rules are very elegantly put together, which makes it simple to learn but with substantial tactical depth. A bit like chess with violence, really.

It also has - IMO - just the right amount of randomness to make sure that there are no bulletproof tactics, and enough fluff to make you fel like you're really playing a sport. If that makes sense.

I'm actually considering venturing into the smelly depths of my local gaming club to try my hand at league play, which I suppose guess is as much a recommendation as anything... :)
  • oldschoolsoviet 3 Aug 2013 14:11:51 5,485 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, after things remained a cluttered mess for ages, I had a complete rethink of my WE's. Gone were the ten man squads, and everything reorganised into fluffy eights. Just one of the cases, and an utter clearout and rethink on how to proceed.

So I came up with this concept for a WE Techmarine, sourced some extra bits for a retinue of sorts, and redesigned a champion with some extra FW bits.

So he turned out like this, accompanying my initial squad: 1 2 Squad

And my Tech squad is coming along nicely: Concept Servitors Almost.....

Liking my concept of merging the special weapons to some Gor arms (didn't have originals), allowing me to run them as a fluffy tank-hunting squad, playable as Havocs. Not bad for some freebies lumped in a carry case I bought !

As an aside, I've somehow managed to purchase enough marines and old-school Rhinos to field an entire chapter of Scars now, but thankfully cheap salvage lots necessitating a soak of Dettol. Also quite like this random fellow's answer to the "big thungs" style creeping in, and it's a brilliant idea against Wraithknights and Riptides.

Probably cheaper too.
  • Stickman 3 Aug 2013 19:32:26 29,666 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Some nice kit bashing there, good stuff! Sometimes just thinking about an army and what you're going to do with it is more fun that actually playing it.

Got the Blood Angels finished a while ago now but STILL haven't been arsed to photograph them and get them on eBay. So lazy...

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• oldschoolsoviet 8 Aug 2013 12:26:00 5,485 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    GLOL

Oooh GW, you've truly lost it. As quoted from another forum....
    "Power mittens. Power mittens with drills. WTF ?!."
  • the_dudefather 8 Aug 2013 12:33:50 9,296 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not quite as bad as the Grey Knight baby carrier

Edited by the_dudefather at 12:33:57 08-08-2013

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• oldschoolsoviet 16 Aug 2013 18:02:34 5,485 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Quick update:

Davok "the Havoc" and retinue.
    Flamer/Melta Havoc Servitors.

Phew. Another lot down. Now what......proper Havocs ? Juggs ? Squads ? Arrgggghhh ! I'll peruse my cases over the weekend, see what strikes me.

On another note, anybody frequent any 40k forums ? Looking at B&C despite it's recent problems, as it's active enough to garner some attention, whereas I'd drown in the noise of DakkaDakka, and the Khornate choice of ToS is, well.....dead, aside from thon Eternal Hunt chappie.
  • Stickman 16 Aug 2013 21:03:22 29,666 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I tend to stick to a few blogs I like rather than forums. The signal to noise ratio is too bad on 40k forums. If I have to for whatever reason, I generally go with Dakka.

The exception is Cool Mini Or Not, but that's all painting rather than 40k. Great forum though, there's some really amazing painters on it regularly.

I like your servitors very much. I really don't like critiquing other people's painting at all, I just love seeing pictures of models that have had some love! That said, I think your character would really benefit from a fairly strong highlight on the red, just to make it pop. Wild Rider Red or even Squig Orange would define it nicely.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• oldschoolsoviet 17 Aug 2013 14:30:17 5,485 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wild Rider ? O_o

/makes note

As I've said, I'm doing these more for the fun of it, rather than for actually playing. I recall those days and the ultra-competitive nutjobs in abundance......eek. Red does wash out in pics quite a bit, but I'll scour around for thon ^ , see how it does, don't want to try the orange road. I know I'm not that good, and I dislike OTT highlights.
    New GW opened up locally, absolutely deserted on a Sat afternoon when I passed it today. Last three 'indie' shops doing the stuff all failed spectacularly as it's just too damned expensive for the quaint Highlanders, and my last visit to the Glasgow one scarred me for life.....that awfully unsettling combination of desperation and upselling from over-enthusiastic staff just doesn't gel with middle-aged cynicism.

Get some more bitz from eBay, that's the safer option.
  • Stickman 2 Sep 2013 23:05:24 29,666 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Things I have learned today:

1) Dont let anything get anywhere near your necron warriors. They will die horrifically.

2) Although Wraiths look like your close combat option, they will get raped by anything remotely assault orientated.

3) Despite all that, tesla carbines shooting 20 shots and getting 30 wounds will make you vow to never stop playing necrons ever.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• oldschoolsoviet 4 Sep 2013 14:21:02 5,485 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Necrons, meh. Just how many collections do you have ? Trying out the new toy, and lamenting on how awful Beastmen are to paint.
    Seriously awkward lil' nooks and definition. I'll be glad to get back to power armour, and at least I'll be able to post better pics now.
  • Stickman 4 Sep 2013 22:48:10 29,666 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They look good, the picture quality is so much better.

I'm going through a phase of painting little 400 point armies of nearly everything so I can have a dick about with their rules, etc., plus it stops me getting bored painting the same thing all the time. The ones I like get bumbled up to 750, 1000 and so on depending on what I fancy painting.

Keeps my model ADHD in check!

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Stickman 10 Sep 2013 08:14:46 29,666 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Leolian wrote:
    My new OnG thread up on warhammer forum
    Just reading back through the thread and this needs more love. Some absolutely gorgeous painting. That Orc skin tone is of the highest quality.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Nemesis 10 Sep 2013 08:56:23 18,657 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Stickman wrote:
    Leolian wrote:
    My new OnG thread up on warhammer forum
    Just reading back through the thread and this needs more love. Some absolutely gorgeous painting. That Orc skin tone is of the highest quality.
    Thanks for that link, that's my lunchtime reading sorted !

Great pics, lovely lovely.
  • Leolian 10 Sep 2013 09:34:43 1,085 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Nemesis @stickman thanks guys. Got quite a few new models to work through and I've started again so will add more pics soon :)
  • Nemesis 10 Sep 2013 09:38:25 18,657 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That sounds familiar ;

I've moved my painting desk, but not started painting yet ! Tch.
  • Stickman 10 Sep 2013 11:51:31 29,666 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Leolian Look forward to it, your stuff is always amazing.

Just painting some of the new plastic Plaguebearers at the mo and it's a fantastic kit. They're really characterful and gross! Nice and easy to paint as well with various washes and whatnot.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Page

of 22 First / Last