Warhammer 40K (with the models and everything) Page 9

• Page

of 22 First / Last

• Ka-blamo 14 Mar 2012 12:16:40 7,305 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    Ka-blamo wrote:
    How does the gaming side of it actually work, is it like top trumps? but surely the richest kid beats everyone else?
    Top trumps with dice rolls really. Essentially like an RPG but with units.

Generally it's not that skewed by money - mostly as the best units are so cool to make and paint that a lot of people get them anyway.
    Ah, I see...cool, are there ever games where the victor gets to choose something from their opponents collection to keep?
  • jakuande 14 Mar 2012 12:20:33 192 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I remember being about 12 when Man O War first came out and having endless debates with my mates about who was going to collect which faction's ships. Never came to anything since we were all too skint to buy the main set.

@Nexus 6 : That Tau Manta is amazing (mainly because they included all 48 passengers, tanks and war suits.) But, if I had a grand (or two) to spend on a model spaceship I'd probably buy this instead : Lego Millenium Falcon
  • 4gate 14 Mar 2012 12:22:13 362 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ka-blamo wrote:
    How does the gaming side of it actually work, is it like top trumps? but surely the richest kid beats everyone else?
    Nope, all units have a points value, and both the big models listed (Imperial Reaver 1750 Tau Manta 2500 iirc) are higher in value than a standard tournament army (1500), so you can only field them in really big battles. And then other side has his own, or loads of points for loads of anti-big-fucker units.
  • disusedgenius 14 Mar 2012 12:38:15 5,264 posts
    Seen 43 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ka-blamo wrote:
    Ah, I see...cool, are there ever games where the victor gets to choose something from their opponents collection to keep?
    Considering how long this stuff takes to paint, I really hope not! :)
  • LeoliansBro 14 Mar 2012 13:04:16 43,608 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ka-blamo, no, you're missing the point.

Tabletop gaming is essentially freeform asymmetric boardgaming. Taking WFB as a starting point, there are fifteen armies you can construct, all of which could face amy of the other fifteen in what is generally a one-on-one battle lasting 6 turns. Thus there are several interlocking levels of appeal:

- the game itself, tactically positioning your troops, playing to your strengtha and emphasising your opponents weaknesses. Dwarves need to stand, shoot, and stay solid against whatever hits them. Bretonnians (chivalric knights) need to outmanoeuvre their opponents and set up a devastating horseback charge. Wood elves need to strike and fade into the forests etc.

- the list building. Your tabletop tactics are hugely dictated by what army you bring. Lots of fragile skirmishers on horseback to harrass the enemy flanks? Heavy, lnychpin blocks of infantry to hold your centre? Powerful, suicidal wizards? Monsters? Each of the fifteens armies allows scope to tailor your force to your preferences, but some obviously work better than others. Work in magic items, both common and army-specific, special rules and the need for contingencies as you sometimes cannot be sure which army you'll meet and list building becomes a careful, subtle and essential part of the game.

- painting. For many the be all and end all of the hobby. For others a step they never get round to. With the model range available from GW and similar businesses the scope for perfecting, customising and injecting personality into your armies is a huge, and addictive pasttime. But for me the real fun is fielding an army you've painstakingly put together yourself, it gives you an attachment to your models unlike any computer game or board game. You"ve spend weeks on these guys. They won't let you down.

I'd highly recommend you try it, it's proven seriously addictive getting back into this after 20 years, painting up my Skaven Ratmen. It single handedly cracked my alcoholism and that alone made it worth it. And if you want to wager a model on the side, knock yourself out ;)

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• disusedgenius 14 Mar 2012 13:10:08 5,264 posts
    Seen 43 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, I'm another of the lapsed Warhammer guys. Dabbled a bit in early teens but you never really appreciate it until you hit mid-late 20s at least where suddenly sitting still painting is welcome relief!
  • LeoliansBro 14 Mar 2012 13:19:41 43,608 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And for those who complain that GW gouge you on price, I say more power to them. I'm rather they were financially comfortable and able to continue to support this nuanced, wry, hugely sophisticated boardgame set in two of the most deep and developed fictional universes ever created, than scraping by on razor margins and liable to disappear at the first hiccup.

That aside, an average month in boozing could cost 350 - 400. You'll have a fully developed, painted army on the table for a fraction of that, I bought the ubercomplete paint set for 120 and I'm still under 200 spent since Christmas. This hobby saves me money!

• Deleted user 14 March 2012 13:24:43
    Average month boozing - 350/400

You have a problem.
  • L_Franko Moderator 14 Mar 2012 13:25:37 9,694 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I often get a fancy for doing some painting while sitting in front of the telly. I have a squad of Tau stored away that are unpainted but all my paints dried up a while ago.
  • L_Franko Moderator 14 Mar 2012 13:28:43 9,694 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mowgli wrote:

You have a problem.
    Depends where and what you drink. A Saturday night out on the piss can easily cost up to 100
  • disusedgenius 14 Mar 2012 13:30:37 5,264 posts
    Seen 43 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mowgli wrote:

You have a problem.
    Welcome to London weighting!
  • LeoliansBro 14 Mar 2012 13:30:58 43,608 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mowgli wrote:

You have a problem.
    Grats, this was my point. Shall we go over it again?

• Stickman 14 Mar 2012 13:31:50 29,663 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    L_Franko wrote:
    mowgli wrote:

You have a problem.
    Depends where and what you drink. A Saturday night out on the piss can easily cost up to 100
    You're both right!

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Deleted user 14 March 2012 13:34:37
    L_Franko wrote:
    mowgli wrote:

You have a problem.
    Oh I can appreciate that, I've certainly around 100 on a nigh out on several occasions but try not to do it every week at my age (I say that and I'm only 25 ffs).
  • LeoliansBro 14 Mar 2012 13:38:52 43,608 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yaay, let's make this thread about mowgli's drinking habits!

Or not.

• Deleted user 14 March 2012 13:54:15
    Yeah because it is clearly going that way.
  • Stickman 14 Mar 2012 13:59:37 29,663 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shut up, fuckers.

LBro, post some pics of your rats!

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• disusedgenius 14 Mar 2012 14:02:20 5,264 posts
    Seen 43 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Has anyone tried their hands at any modding at all? Had my first blast at it a few weeks back, making myself a little Skaven War Litter. Still not painted yet, but it was fun to mess about with it a bit.
  • the_dudefather 14 Mar 2012 14:10:50 9,249 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    Has anyone tried their hands at any modding at all?
    I probably mentioned it previously in this thread, but I made a Ork killer kan out of a Wall-e figure, was a lot of fun to make!

-chop off the head
    -add spinny blade arm and guns
    -made a plastic card 'face' on the front and makeshift armour
    -misc bits glued on
    -Goblin pilot on top

Will post a pic later if anyone cares :)

Edited by the_dudefather at 14:21:04 14-03-2012

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Stickman 14 Mar 2012 14:13:09 29,663 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Only very basic stuff; weapon swaps, head swaps, that kind of thing. Fine line between an awesome looking model and a shambles I reckon. Less is more.

Sculpting is a skill I'd love to have.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• L_Franko Moderator 14 Mar 2012 14:15:03 9,694 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah post it up, I'd like to see how it turned out.
  • disusedgenius 14 Mar 2012 14:17:00 5,264 posts
    Seen 43 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, particularly with the new plastic kits with all the spares it makes sense to just dabble a bit. mine was pretty basic - using a few of the Stormversion for the Litter then basically bastardising a cheap box of skeletons to make a plinth, then sticking a general on top. I only really used Green Stuff for some ropes and as cement. And even the ropes are a bit hit and miss...
  • LeoliansBro 14 Mar 2012 14:29:10 43,608 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm working on a War Litter as well, I'll ping pics up of it and my vermin when I'm not near my line manager. Also my Grey Seer, an original 1985 sculpt and my favourite model ever.

• Ka-blamo 14 Mar 2012 14:43:16 7,305 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    Ka-blamo wrote:
    Considering how long this stuff takes to paint, I really hope not! :)
    I thought it could be like the card game in FFIX where if you lose your opponent can choose one of your cards to keep :)

And thanks for enlightening me Leo, it does sound cool. I could stop gambling and have something to show for my wasted money I guess.
  • Soul_quake 14 Mar 2012 14:46:16 242 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bleah all you fantasy players - man up and play the laser game :-P

Still if any of you are looking for a good place to talk more about Fantasy/40k I would point you to the Warhammer Forum. Don't know what the fantasy side is like but the 40k side is friendly and helpful.
  • disusedgenius 14 Mar 2012 14:46:53 5,264 posts
    Seen 43 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've got a few pictures of my unpainted litter on Picassa, but I'll have to wait until I get back home, away from Linux, until I can find a link for them.
  • LeoliansBro 14 Mar 2012 14:54:37 43,608 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Played 40k way back in the day. When I came back I decided it was time for the grown-up version :p

• disusedgenius 14 Mar 2012 15:00:37 5,264 posts
    Seen 43 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The trouble with 40k is that I just don't really like any of the armies that much. Despite the fact that I actually prefer the ideas/concept/Lore for it.
  • figgis 14 Mar 2012 15:20:16 7,376 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My mate had a few of the Ape Gang models from Judge Dread and actually made a Jokaero army (probably the most obscure 40k army ever).
  • LeoliansBro 14 Mar 2012 15:21:39 43,608 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They're in the new Grey Knight codex I think. There's an official GW sculpt for them and everything.

• Page

of 22 First / Last