Warhammer 40K (with the models and everything) Page 8

• Page

of 22 First / Last

• disusedgenius 14 Feb 2012 14:29:32 5,631 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Why the switch, out of interest? Not a fan of the new rules or did you just fancy a change?
  • Soul_quake 14 Feb 2012 17:08:28 269 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    Why the switch, out of interest? Not a fan of the new rules or did you just fancy a change?
    I found that in Fantasy I had little chance to win versus certain armies, no matter what I put down. Then they changed the magic rules and allowed the likes of "Dwellers Below" and "Purple Sun" to come into being allow and they gave every army access to the power scroll. My enjoyment of the game dropped immensely, while in 40k I found that the armies were more balanced (until Grey Knights!) and the game didn't revolve around who could get off the "big spell" first. That and it took ages to setup a game of Fantasy and then you simply removed the models far more quickly.
  • Climhazzard 14 Feb 2012 19:43:53 75 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @RedSparrows Space Wolves were my main team too.

Also had Tyranids, Imperial Guard, Tau and Eldar.

Spent so many hours on 40K.

www.youtube.com/failgoodinc for 'Let's Play' videos and commentaries. Please subscribe.

• boo 13 Mar 2012 09:24:30 11,953 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BBC in well-balanced article about Warhammer 40k shock!

Just Another Lego Blog

• Bombonera 13 Mar 2012 09:28:51 345 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I was about to mention that. Games Workshop, the company behind Warhammer, has just announced half-year profits increase of 40%. That is stunning in the current economic climate.
  • TechnoHippy 13 Mar 2012 09:40:49 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I remember back in the 90's Games Workshop was one of the fastest growing companies in the country. Good times, I had a lot of fun painting display armies and models for my local shop.

Destroying kids armies in a single turn with my custom weapons (under the original Rogue Trader rules) was also good fun :-)

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• disusedgenius 13 Mar 2012 10:14:36 5,631 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wonder how much of that increase is due to them moving away from the old metal models and using this new resin stuff instead.
  • S.J.Rogers 13 Mar 2012 10:23:09 3,557 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Where is the best place for me to sell/pass on my collection (Un-painted) that have been in the loft for 20 years..!

Not ebay..!

Edited by S.J.Rogers at 10:23:27 13-03-2012
  • disusedgenius 13 Mar 2012 10:28:19 5,631 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just man the fuck up and buy some paints, you know you want too... :)
  • Stickman 13 Mar 2012 10:45:07 29,664 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    I wonder how much of that increase is due to them moving away from the old metal models and using this new resin stuff instead.
    Basically, all of it. They've cut costs yet ramped up prices. Because they essentially monopolise the market they keep getting away with it.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• L_Franko Moderator 13 Mar 2012 11:05:27 9,697 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Great article by the BBC which, for all I can tell, was written by someone's Nan.

I loved my time with the Gamesworkshop games but even 15 years ago the prices were harsh.
    I do miss Man O War though, the best game to come out of that company other than Bloodbowl.
  • Derblington 13 Mar 2012 11:21:02 22,307 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The prices are astronomical, and the staff discounts were 50% when I worked there about 12 years ago. They can deny it but they do artificially inflate their prices to stupid levels.

Unfortunately, people still lap it up.
  • Soul_quake 13 Mar 2012 11:36:39 269 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have in the last 5 years spent crazy amounts of money but have recently been doing a lot more trades and second hand purchases to bulk up the armies I have. Also many interent retailers now offer 20% off the RRP, so making it that little more affordable. I also note that increasingly people are buying other companies models and proxying them in.

Still Finecast has been a resounding financial success with the resin costing far less to produce and the models selling for about 20% more than the metals did. Although it would be good to point out that revenue to is pretty flat and that a substantial proportion of the profit came from THQ royalty payment.
  • jakuande 13 Mar 2012 12:02:52 192 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not that bad an article from the beeb, sounded like the writer's kid was into GW stuff. I tried to interest my 12 yr old nephew in GW miniatures but he was rubbish at painting and we soon went back to playing LoL/FIFA. I will try again when he comes round this year, would be the perfect excuse to buy one of those big boxed sets for fantasy battle/40k (the expense of which I cannot otherwise justify.)
  • 4gate 13 Mar 2012 12:18:28 362 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think it's a great value hobby, hundreds of hours of fun, assuming you like building, painting, or tabletop wargaming anyway.

Compared to what my mates spend on golf, fishing and / or cars, or some on computer games for that matter, it is cheaper than chips.

Not seen GW make profits like this before (infact iirc it was all doom and gloom a few years back), hopefully further price rises can now do one for a bit.

Edited by 4gate at 12:19:46 13-03-2012
  • Stickman 13 Mar 2012 12:22:32 29,664 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    4gate wrote:
    Compared to what my mates spend on...cars, it is cheaper than chips.
    I guess that's a fair point.

Games Workshop products: cheaper than a car.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• 4gate 13 Mar 2012 12:28:33 362 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah. Except some Forge World stuff probably :)

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/MARS-PATTERN-REAVER-TITAN-BODY-ONLY.html

This fucker for instance. Needs weapons too. Free delivery though.

Edited by 4gate at 12:32:13 13-03-2012
  • Stickman 13 Mar 2012 12:33:46 29,664 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd actually probably swap my car for that to be honest.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• 4gate 13 Mar 2012 12:36:06 362 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    They wouldn't take mine.
  • boo 14 Mar 2012 10:36:06 11,953 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    40k's anniversary does not escape The Mash.

Just Another Lego Blog

• senso-ji 14 Mar 2012 10:41:43 6,047 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    boo wrote:
    BBC in well-balanced article about Warhammer 40k shock!
    Article is by Samira Ahmed. Is it the same Samira Ahmed that presented Channel 4 news all those years ago? How the mighty have fallen.
  • Nexus_6 14 Mar 2012 11:14:41 3,903 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/TAU-MANTA.html

Or this bad boy, which is too big to fit in my car!
  • L_Franko Moderator 14 Mar 2012 11:33:01 9,697 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wow. In my book whoever spends that kind of money on a model is nuts but it sure is cool!
  • LeoliansBro 14 Mar 2012 11:36:29 44,966 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A grand nets you the coolest custom terrain ever!

But yeah, you have to really love the hobby at that price.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• RabidChild 14 Mar 2012 11:41:41 2,293 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    L_Franko wrote:
    Great article by the BBC which, for all I can tell, was written by someone's Nan.

I loved my time with the Gamesworkshop games but even 15 years ago the prices were harsh.
    I do miss Man O War though, the best game to come out of that company other than Bloodbowl.
    I like a load of the old 'stand-alone' games - Necromunda and Warhammer Quest were both awesome as well. Didn't really play much Man o' War but wasted many an afternoon on Blood Bowl. Really should start up a new league at some point. They are rumoured to be re-releasing it this year as a stand-alone box like the recent Space Hulk release and Dread Fleet, as it's the BB anniversary.

As for the prices, yes they are absurdly high and they can do it because there are few companies that offer the same quality and diversity of sculpts. The recent sculpts have been excellent - far surpassing anything that they've done before.
  • L_Franko Moderator 14 Mar 2012 11:53:06 9,697 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I currently have a 2003 version of Blood Bowl sat at home that I haven't touched really since I bought it for the simple reason that there is not a single person I know who would want to play. I was trying to re-live my younger years by buying it but didn't think about needing opponents to do so :)

If there was ever a Man o War re-release I'd snap it up no problem even though I'd be left in the same boat (teehee) as I was with Blood Bowl.

Edited by L_Franko at 11:54:57 14-03-2012
  • disusedgenius 14 Mar 2012 12:00:54 5,631 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ka-blamo wrote:
    How does the gaming side of it actually work, is it like top trumps? but surely the richest kid beats everyone else?
    Top trumps with dice rolls really. Essentially like an RPG but with units.

Generally it's not that skewed by money - mostly as the best units are so cool to make and paint that a lot of people get them anyway.
  • Stickman 14 Mar 2012 12:07:11 29,664 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You can always tell the painters/collectors and the powah gamers apart. The former will place their guys in cover, guns all facing the enemy. The latter will pick up 10 hunks of undercoated plastic in one hand, clump them all down in a pile on top of each other, point at your best painted model and go "...OK, hit on fourssssssss...(roll handful of dice)...wound on twosssssssssss....(roll another handful of random dice)...everything you own is dead. NEXT!"

Jerks.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Page

of 22 First / Last