Warhammer 40K (with the models and everything)

• Page

of 22 First / Last

Previous
  • Spin_Dr_Wolf 13 Oct 2004 16:00:12 6,170 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So who else other than me and Nem has/had/thinking about getting some of the models ? Does anyone else paint their own models ?
    I've been polaying too much Dawn of War, and now have an urge to buy a Dreadnought

*Kssht* Even in death i still serve, DIE !, DIE !, DIE !!
  • Lutz 13 Oct 2004 16:04:37 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I used to, but I was crap at painting, and my mate was awesome, so I gave them him to add to his ever growing army. He's got shelves of models. Or had.

About 2,000 models and 20 to 25 vehicles IIRC.
  • Khanivor 13 Oct 2004 16:07:03 40,937 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I used to. I've still got all of them, including my favoured Space Marine army, assorted Eldar and Orks, a bunch of Epci scale doodas and some scenery.

I haven't been able to bring myself to sell it. Way too much of my early and mid adolesence was spent hunched over a table painting tiny wee details. I was big on the details. And the blending. Oh yes, the blending. Cackle.
  • Whizzo 13 Oct 2004 16:12:20 43,187 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Spin Dr Wolf wrote:I've been polaying too much Dawn of War, and now have an urge to buy a Dreadnought
    25 quid is a bit pricey! At least that's from GW's website no idea what it's priced at Esdevium.

This space left intentionally blank.

• GamingArena 13 Oct 2004 16:17:02 90 posts
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yip I admit I did and won quite a few awards for my stuff.
    There all locked away now for when I have kids.
    Then all that hard work and hours of strained eyes painting them will all of been........
    a utter waste of time as the bit them, throw them, put them in mud baths in the garden, feed them to my dogs!
    Oh i cant wait to be a dad!
  • Spin_Dr_Wolf 13 Oct 2004 16:21:50 6,170 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The stuff has always been pricey !

Its nice to know i'm not alone Khanivor, would you be brave enough to produce any photos ? I'll show you mine if you show me yours !
  • Khanivor 13 Oct 2004 16:26:33 40,937 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'll take some snaps when I get home.

/wiggles suggestivley
  • Spin_Dr_Wolf 13 Oct 2004 16:34:04 6,170 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    /charges batteries

Suggestive, yet not. How strange !
  • Phattso Moderator 13 Oct 2004 16:36:34 13,540 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I used to paint a lot of Citadel Miniatures in the early/mid 90's but it all got too time consuming. Recently, however, I was looking for something to do in the long winter evenings (when I can't be arsed with games).

So... I picked up some paints, brushes, etc. from the Games Workshop in Bluewater with a view to finishing up some of the models I never completed (loads of Space Marines, a box of Imperial Guard, the models from the Space Hulk box, etc.).

I was not surprised to learn that I'm every bit as crap at painting now as I was then. Still good fun, though. ;-)
  • GamingArena 13 Oct 2004 16:40:23 90 posts
    Registered 10 years ago
    For me it wasn't just the painting. It was modding the model to put your own idea's into it. So that you didn't have 20 Models all looking the same.
    But I agree it takes up so much of your time & Money!
  • phAge 13 Oct 2004 16:43:04 24,386 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ive got about 100 worth of Eldar (unpainted/unasembled) that Im willing to flog for... 50?
  • Amajiro 13 Oct 2004 16:43:15 2,214 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I used to play Bloodbowl, and had (still have, in fact) a fully painted up Vynheim Valkyries team.
  • Whizzo 13 Oct 2004 16:45:54 43,187 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Spin Dr Wolf wrote:
    The stuff has always been pricey !
    Perhaps not that expensive though, I don't remember paying 30 notes for a copy of the first edition of WH40K even though that's the price for the rulebook now! The figures were a lot cheaper back then too but I suppose some of that is down to not using the same lead anymore.

Edited by Whizzo at 15:46:17 13-10-2004

• Lutz 13 Oct 2004 16:47:27 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GamingArena wrote:
    For me it wasn't just the painting. It was modding the model to put your own idea's into it. So that you didn't have 20 Models all looking the same.
    Agreed. My mate made a whole Samurai army for Warhammer. IIRC he used scouts as the base model. May be wrong though.
  • Phattso Moderator 13 Oct 2004 16:53:01 13,540 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lutz wrote:
    GamingArena wrote:
    Agreed. My mate made a whole Samurai army for Warhammer. IIRC he used scouts as the base model. May be wrong though.
    I was never very good at any of it, so about the most customisation I was able to add was the orientation of the heads and arms and the occassional med-kit glued onto a leg.

One of my favourite parts of White Dwarf (when I still read it) was the pictures of the little vignettes they'd feature. I was always incredibly envious of that talent: a nice, original, self-contained scene often using custom models and exquisitely painted.

Made my two-tone Ultramarines with badly dry-brushed bolters look very inadequate. ;)
  • Dave-Mash 13 Oct 2004 16:53:23 60 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blood Bowl? Blimey, there's a blast from the past.. I still have the orginal game somewhere in the small brown box with paper figures!

I used to be quite good at the old painting but I never played the games much apart from space hulk, like GamingArena it was the modding that got me into it... For example.. (star wars related but..) taking a bobba fett and a Princess Leia, cutting her head off attaching it to Bobba while taking Bobbas head and putting it under his arm...

Which was nice.
  • Cornflake 13 Oct 2004 16:55:49 652 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mark Copplestones does some very nice stuff.
  • Khanivor 13 Oct 2004 17:00:30 40,937 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was pondering recently giving it another go. Heck, if I saved up for a month I could probably afford to buy an arm, maybe a torso.

The long hours consumed by the hobby was one reason I gave it all up. The main was GW's price gouging, which would make Haliburton blush.
  • boo 13 Oct 2004 17:06:01 11,830 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have a pristine copy of the original 40K rulebook (Warhammer 40,000 - Rogue Trader) purchased on the day of release many moons ago.
    Also a boxed and largely still on the sprues set of Space Marines and a set of equally boxed and equally sprued-up Space Orks, again purchased on the day of launch.

Quite frankly I could do with the loft space.
    Anyone interested in giving them a good home?

Just Another Lego Blog

• jockmchaggis 13 Oct 2004 17:06:20 45 posts
    Registered 10 years ago
    i was back looking through old stuff at my folks last weekend, came across a whole heap of models and things i'd forgotten about, from heroquest through to necromunda with some randoms thrown in. i even found my old bits box! chopping them to pieces and wondering how many arms you could put on the resulting mishmash was always favourite. i spent ages putting together the most elaborately malformed blokes for my huge and hugely illegal necromunda team. shame i can't paint worth a damn though, i think i found 2 finished models i'd be willing to share with an understanding public :S
  • Spin_Dr_Wolf 13 Oct 2004 17:26:19 6,170 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    boo wrote:
    I have a pristine copy of the original 40K rulebook (Warhammer 40,000 - Rogue Trader) purchased on the day of release many moons ago.
    Also a boxed and largely still on the sprues set of Space Marines and a set of equally boxed and equally sprued-up Space Orks, again purchased on the day of launch.

I would, especialy if the Space Marines have the old Mk4 armour !
  • phAge 13 Oct 2004 17:36:01 24,386 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    boo wrote:

Boo - just thought youd like to know that I recently saw a rather dog-eared copy of an original (1st edition) WH40K rulebook retail at around 100 at my local GW shop...
  • Tabasco 13 Oct 2004 17:36:16 5,780 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I actually got back into this last year after a lay off of about 10 years....Surprised myself with how decent looking my painting is really...

Oh and for all those who are complaining abou the price - Open up a trade account and get 35% off, like I did :o)

Currently have about 6000 points of Dark Elves and 4000 points of Tomb Kings (and just about to invest about 200 in an Empire army....weeeeeeeeeeeeee

Waiting for the 40K version to flesh out a little as they are releasing updates on all the armies starting will the good old Space Marines in about a month....

Oh and Boo - I'll take the Orks if Dr Wolfy gets the SM...
  • boo 13 Oct 2004 17:38:35 11,830 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Spin Dr Wolf wrote:
    boo wrote:

I would, especialy if the Space Marines have the old Mk4 armour !

Haven't got a clue. They're little plastic Marines and that's as far as my knowledge goes.
    I'll dig 'em out in the next couple of days.
    If you want 'em - cover the cost of the postage and they're yours.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Whizzo 13 Oct 2004 17:41:07 43,187 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    phAge wrote:Boo - just thought youd like to know that I recently saw a rather dog-eared copy of an original (1st edition) WH40K rulebook retail at around 100 at my local GW shop...
    FUCK ME! My copy's not dog eared (missing the pullout blue sheets though) I wonder how much I could get for that...

Edited by Whizzo at 16:41:28 13-10-2004

• Spin_Dr_Wolf 13 Oct 2004 17:42:42 6,170 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sweet ! Consider postage covered, assuming you don't get it delivered on a gold pleated pillow by Elton John trying to pay off his credit card bills !!

EDIT : If you drop me an email to spin_dr_wolf at the UK Yahoo, whenever you've fished 'em out boo, and i will buy you a pint at the next meet !

Edited by Spin Dr Wolf at 16:45:58 13-10-2004
  • Whizzo 13 Oct 2004 17:49:22 43,187 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I may have some old plastic figures from the early days of WH40K lurking around, I'll see if I can dig them out.

Fortunately back then my best mate was a) from a much wealthier family and b) loved painting figures so I never had to bother with buying my own very much. Although that was more Warhammer than 40K but I wasn't on much money when that came out so it still worked!

I'm getting all nostalgic, not for WH, but my old RPGing days.

/wipes tear ;-)

• boo 13 Oct 2004 17:51:03 11,830 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    phAge wrote:

Boo - just thought youd like to know that I recently saw a rather dog-eared copy of an original (1st edition) WH40K rulebook retail at around 100 at my local GW shop...

Blimey!
    I asked about this in the GW on Oxford St about 18 months ago when I unearthed the book from the loft.
    He said it'd be worth about a fiver as the rules had changed significantly since then.

I might enquire again, as it's as mint as a particularly minty extra strong mint.

As for the figurines, I shall drop you a mail Mr Wolf, once I've dug 'em out.

Edit - Tabasco's bagsie for the Orks noted.

Edited by boo at 16:53:16 13-10-2004

Just Another Lego Blog

• Tabasco 13 Oct 2004 18:05:38 5,780 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ta boo...:o)

Gotta say there is a new mag out called Fanatic which covers all the smaller games like Epic 40k and Warmaster and it's only in it's 4th issue as of now....A copy of issue 1 of that just went for 65 quid on ebay....You guys with really old copies of any rule book or somesuch should really consider putting em up there...there really does seem to be a huge market for these types of things...

I'm so caught up in the whole thing that I'm thinking of opening an independent model shop....
  • boo 13 Oct 2004 18:08:31 11,830 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just checked Ebay for the Rogue Trader rulebook. There's a good condition hardback closing in 3 hours that's currently less than 15 quid.

Where was that one selling for 100?

Just Another Lego Blog

• Page

of 22 First / Last

Previous