Are EG aware of the negative response to the news 'articles'?

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous
  • Shikasama 28 Sep 2010 07:53:31 6,277 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I am just wondering if the recent deluge of negativity towards the news articles has been noticed over the past week or so and if steps are being taken to increase both the quality and the relevance of future postings.

I'm not going to do a huge long post explaining why and what is wrong exactly because it will be obvious to most of the people reading this what I am taking about. There is a very tangible sense of standards slipping dramatically over recent months and that can't be attributed to one individual, but seems like a delibrate shift to a tabloidesque approach.

More discussion, more analysis, decent game reviews (Civ 5 and Mafia 2 were frankly shocking, and I'm not talking about score). Less PR (especially the day after you put a though provoking piece denouncing such activites), less 'here is an interview I've split into multiple articles' and if you must do 'he said she said' stories, at least try and make them sound a bit more proffesional.

Personally I've never come here for the news or reviews in particular and like reading the comments more, but it would be nice if my favourite gaming website stopped lowering itself to the level of other sites that I don't really have to name.

Or put in a karma system for articles, then we could let you know exactly what we are interested in.
  • lucky_jim 28 Sep 2010 08:00:56 5,161 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Don't have a problem with the reviews, the news is a different matter. But think about it: we're all commenting on them, generating lovely page hits for EG. I don't think they'll stop.
  • AHiFi 28 Sep 2010 08:02:01 1,665 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd have to agree. The writing standard has fallen, it's now a given that every news article has at least one factual mistake and there's always some sort of grammar/spelling error.

That being said, still better than most of the stuff out there...but that's not a good reason to 'let yourself go'.
  • CosmicFuzz 28 Sep 2010 08:03:28 21,244 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bah, who comes here for the news anyway!

What's your thoughts on Heroes Reborn? Read my TV musings here.

• mcmonkeyplc 28 Sep 2010 08:32:35 38,899 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was going to create this very thread yesterday. The Bobby Kottick - Tom Schfaffer thing is frankly terrible and crass.

That's coming from me as well so god knows how more mature posters feel.

Sort it out.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• MrTomFTW Moderator 28 Sep 2010 08:51:40 36,283 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah. I didn't much like the multiple articles about that one Edge interview. I know its all about the page hits but if it wasn't for the fact I'm a mod I'd avoid them altogether.

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• King_Edward 28 Sep 2010 09:04:55 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Kotick stuff yesterday was shameful. Standards have slipped considerably over the last few months, but I still think EG puts out some good articles.
  • X201 28 Sep 2010 10:03:06 14,698 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Apologies for this, but I need to get it off my chest and bury the hatchet.

Shikasama might not be explaining what is wrong but I am, and one incident above all makes the point.

The "Last Guardian - Holiday 2011" news post and its condescending follow-ups are the case in point.

We all know that when North Americans say "Holiday 2011" they mean the period between Thanksgiving (November) and Christmas. It wasn't that we didn't know what it meant, the complaints were generated because of the "Aww, fuck 'em, they'll know what it means, they can sort it out for themselves" appearance given off by the original news article.

The complaints were rooted in a love that EGs core audience has for it, and we don't want to see EGs standards descend to the level of other sites - Don't confuse this with being against change, change is always needed but it should never be used as an excuse to drop standards.

Our only way of expressing our concerns is to complain in the comments and in the forum, and we might come across as a bunch of whingers, but the recent moans have been brought about by a notable change in some EG news stories (and, lets be honest, "stories" is pushing it for some of them).

The added childish jibes at the users who criticised the Last Guardian story, via Wesley's totally inappropriate follow-up post or the childish stuff on the podcast, shows that the point being made either wasn't understood by anyone at EG or, worse, deliberately ignored under a veil of "Stupid users" sniggers.

We've always had banter between EG staff and its users, but recently its felt like something has changed and that we're - not sure what the correct description is - an inconvenience?, a handicap?, baggage?, always the butt of the joke?. Not sure what it is, but something IS different.

• RyanDS 28 Sep 2010 10:06:31 8,700 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    X201 wrote:

We all know that when North Americans say "Holiday 2011" they mean the period between Thanksgiving (November) and Christmas.

I didn't. I genuinely wasn't sure and actually emailed EG for clarification.

And a couple of responses to the article were along the lines of "I have to wait for summer? Damn!" so I guess I wasn'ty the only one.
  • Deleted user 28 September 2010 10:07:32
    EG is pretty big now, so the type of stuff posted on the front page is different, shame really as it was interesting articles and reviews thought brought me here all those years ago.
  • IronGiant 28 Sep 2010 10:10:01 4,422 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Personally I'm now spending more time reading the articles over at computerandvideogames, never thought id say that! They're brief and to the point, plus they have news up much quicker than EG. So if hits are what you want here then you could end up losing them not increasing.
  • nickthegun 28 Sep 2010 10:11:20 55,866 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    WTF is a bobby kotick?

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• X201 28 Sep 2010 10:16:19 14,698 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    WTF is a bobby kotick?

A dick according to Tim Schafer
  • Tomo 28 Sep 2010 10:20:17 13,841 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought format of the Kotick articles was highly amusing. C'mon, it's not like they do that every day.
  • Grump 28 Sep 2010 10:20:41 1,180 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CrispyXUK64 wrote:
    EG is pretty big now, so the type of stuff posted on the front page is different, shame really as it was interesting articles and reviews thought brought me here all those years ago.

EG are only the 5th biggest gaming site in the UK - according to Comscore.

I still think the quality of articles is way ahead of the others though - the reviews are mostly trustworthy and the style of writing has always been entertaining. I find it difficult to trust any review posted on IGN and Gamespot - CVG seems a lot better these days though.

• graysonavich 28 Sep 2010 10:22:08 6,802 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Do lots of spam bots post at 3am in various new articles?
  • pinebear 28 Sep 2010 10:22:27 8,565 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    WTF is a bobby kotick?

A dick according to Tim Schafer

I didn't realise that Schafer was all up on his Glaswegian slang.

• Syrette 28 Sep 2010 10:36:56 41,864 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    9 out of 10 articles are fine, only rarely (Mafia 2 and the Kotick Edge debacle) do they clearly mess up and even then it's just the opinion of one guy.

OP is a serial moaner.

• mingster 28 Sep 2010 11:12:08 3,267 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The whole Bobby Kottick slagging off thing is embarassing though its like playground name calling. Really shouldn't be about 5 or 6 articles. One samll article would have been enough.
    They are milking it for some reason dunno why.
  • Mugwum Staff 28 Sep 2010 11:19:39 606 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hi everyone,

I'm sorry some of you aren't enjoying Eurogamer as much as you used to. I understand where some of the concerns come from so let me try to address them.

A lot of stuff on this thread seems to be down to a long-held belief that every link, page break or separate story on a webpage is a cynical, cold-hearted attempt to gouge another page impression from your innocent mice and touch-screens.

It's true that we need traffic to keep the wheels turning, but it's not true that we need you all to click on 50 different things (it's far more important that you're here in the first place) and many of the changes you think you've noticed have almost nothing to do with page impressions.

On a lot of points the truth is rather boring - these days Eurogamer publishes way more content than it used to do when we came up with this design, so we're forced to do different things to make sure people are finding content they're looking for or seeing the things that we want them to see.

Some of them can appear a bit redundant to attentive readers - you would of course know what somebody said in an interview if you had read the interview, so you wouldn't need to read a shorter news story explaining it as well. A lot of people wouldn't bother reading the interview in the first place though, so the news story draws their attention to it.

Similarly, if Bobby Kotick decides to answer a bunch of questions on EA, Tim Schafer, Infinity Ward, etc, each of his statements is likely to be individually interesting because of his personal status and recent history. If we dumped them all in one long wall of text most people would miss key elements, or context would need to be sacrificed, and it would be harder to make the meaning apparent on the frontpage.

As for the language we use, that's just how we speak, really. We do try to write about things responsibly and professionally, but we're not very formal. That's been true for years. The only recent change is that Wesley's joined us and he has his own style. But so does Ellie, so does Bertie, so does Oli - we can support all sorts.

I think people who have been here for a while know traffic isn't my primary motivation as editor. Last Christmas is a good example - for years we had done a Top 50 Games of the Year feature series over the Christmas break, and no matter how we wrote it, no matter how good our intentions and positive our prose, it always wound people up. I got so sick of that that I scrapped it in favour of a different, list-free format, and to my unending relief people were simply able to enjoy that.

Anyway, it's important to me that you realise we *do* pay attention to what you think and what you're saying. Some of your criticisms are definitely justified, some of them I don't believe are, and some of them are down to things that are understandably hard to perceive just by staring at the homepage, as with the issues I've talked about above. They're all valid comments though and we do take them all into consideration when we're thinking about how to develop the site and our editorial, and I don't take you for granted.

Anyway, I hope that explains things a little bit, and thanks for all your feedback.
  • Jeepers 28 Sep 2010 11:22:35 13,171 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Who's going to post 'Planet!!1' first?
  • nickthegun 28 Sep 2010 11:34:57 55,866 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Peoples capacity to whine about things on the internet never ceases to amaze me.

He totally called it

• speedofthepuma 28 Sep 2010 11:39:01 13,246 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Peoples capacity to whine about things on the internet never ceases to amaze me.

And there you go: on and on and on about people whinging. Just let it go for God's sake.

;)

I've turned off all the avatars and crap, so don't expect me to be impressed by yours.

• mingster 28 Sep 2010 11:39:41 3,267 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thank you for taking time to respond.

I understand why now you have split it up into so many articles though.

I don't generally have a problem with news subject matter but the whole 'he called me this so i called him that' subject matter is frankly a bit beneath you.

It's not really your fault though a multimillion pound video game company exec that constantly spouts cringeworthy comments is unfortunately bound to get picked up on.

• Deleted user 28 September 2010 11:41:20
    rodpad wrote:
    DDevil wrote:
    HELLO I AM A MOD
    Lol, was thinking the same thing.
  • Deleted user 28 September 2010 11:42:59
    I applied for the job Wes currently performs. It's time like this I think thank fuck I didn't get it you ungrateful bastards.

:D
  • glaeken 28 Sep 2010 11:43:48 10,977 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I honestly donít get how people get their panties in a twist over such trivial things.

It's fairly obvious if you have read EG's full interviews when they are cherry picking certain quotes for news stories but as far as I am aware this practice has yet to cause me any harm as I have developed the ability to only read things that I want to read.
  • nickthegun 28 Sep 2010 11:44:41 55,866 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:

And there you go: on and on and on about people whinging. Just let it go for God's sake.

;)

It was an observation!

He totally called it

• speedofthepuma 28 Sep 2010 11:52:32 13,246 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:

;)

It was an observation!

I know, I was trying to be ironical.

I've turned off all the avatars and crap, so don't expect me to be impressed by yours.

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous