A message of thanks from KTM in Afghanistan Page 4

• Page

of 13 First / Last

• brokenkey 30 Oct 2010 08:57:41 6,975 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ktm, if you ever get a change to visit a roshan phone dealer and sign up for m-paisa I'd love to hear what you think about it. market research.

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• KayJay 30 Oct 2010 09:11:03 5,287 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Really proud of you and the rest of the boys & girls putting themselves in harms way.

Fight the good fight and keep your head down and your chin up :-/

Stay safe.
  • Ginger 30 Oct 2010 09:16:16 6,829 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    ktm, if you ever get a change to visit a roshan phone dealer and sign up for m-paisa I'd love to hear what you think about it. market research.
    :D

I mean seriously!

London open taekwondo champion

• mcmonkeyplc 30 Oct 2010 11:13:48 39,411 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Good to hear you're still in one piece and another awesome post.

Stay safe and bring that flag back!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• redcrayon 30 Oct 2010 14:43:13 4,552 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Best of luck KTM, good to hear from you again.
  • brokenkey 30 Oct 2010 14:58:55 6,975 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ginger wrote:
    brokenkey wrote:
    :D

I mean seriously!

What ? It's not like I can do it myself? : )

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• rauper Staff 1 Nov 2010 16:08:35 3,310 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Definitely give us a shout when you're back and we'll invite you down to hang out at EG HQ!

(This offer does not apply to anyone else... :) )
  • billythekid 1 Nov 2010 16:18:55 11,098 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good to hear you're still ok KTM, I wouldn't do what you're doing for all the tea in China.
    Keep up the good work and stay safe.
  • Lutz 1 Nov 2010 16:33:17 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    rauper wrote:
    Definitely give us a shout when you're back and we'll invite you down to hang out at EG HQ!

/hopes, dashed

• angeltreats 1 Nov 2010 16:39:37 2,602 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Really glad you're ok and thanks for the update :)

Seems a bit trivial to say good luck and I wish you all the best, but I mean it.
  • steve1979 2 Nov 2010 10:32:21 1,988 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've just read all of this, and whilst I've never spoken to you KTM, my wife's friend's husband is also over there and just wanted to say keep safe and get back okay.
  • Salaman 2 Nov 2010 11:03:47 18,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    rauper wrote:

/registers KTM@gmail.com

Stay safe out there!
  • JuanKerr 2 Nov 2010 11:09:37 36,238 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Great post KTM - great to hear from someone who's actually out there and can see first hand what the armed forces are trying to achieve, rather than the usual uninformed bullshit from people who have no idea what they're on about.

Stay safe.
  • Goban 2 Nov 2010 11:16:14 9,051 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good to hear you're getting on with it. I've got a good friend of mine who's out there at the moment, similar attitude.

Take care.
  • jonsaan 2 Nov 2010 11:20:13 25,335 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A sobering read KTM. Stay safe, your colleagues too.

FCUTA!

• figgis 2 Nov 2010 11:49:52 7,376 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Inertia wrote:
    figgis wrote:
    LetsGo wrote:
    Damn, bad news :(, you keep safe you hear!

I don't get 'help the heroes', It shouldnt even exist. Why we need a charity to help our soldiers when they get home I still find unbelievable! If the government wants to pay to send you out to war then they should pay to look after you.

Until they do, ill of course, support the charity!

It's disgusting how they treat soldiers. I've never agreed with either of the wars but the people going out there to fight should have a decent standard of living waiting for them when they get back.

It's amazing how people can disassociate the soldier from the atrocity. The one causes the other. And in the interests of impartiality how many Afghan civilians were killed this week? That's not in the news either.

What kind of argument are you trying to make? Governments treatment of serving soldiers and foreign policy are not directly connected.

The gist of your post is 'Afghanistan is an atrocity and the soldiers are directly culpable' doesn't that strike you as a touch insensitive in a thread from a serving solider.
  • Bremenacht 2 Nov 2010 22:50:37 17,687 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    KTM wrote:
    Hey guys. A bit of an update from out here. I still havent been shot at personaly but we have had 1 KIA 2 amputations; 1 above the knee single leg and the other double amputation, one above and one below the knee. (this being important as rehabilitation is much harder when you lose a joint.) We have had 5 other casualties of varying seriousness including one young lad getting shot in the neck. Luckily he survived with only 2 fractured vertebrae.

I am unable to take a picture of me 'capturing the flag' in a compound as this wouldn't go down well if I put it on the internet and it was there for all the world to see. I have, however, 'captured' the flag and if the staff at EG are interested I can pop down to Brighton on my R&R next month and return the enemy flag to HQ for massive points. And possibly a level up and new weapon unlock. Let me know in this thread and I will organise a hand over/take over of the flag.

You might wonder why anyone would choose to be here. Well, I don't want to be out here, I want to be at home with my children. Im here because I left school at 16, had no prospects and the army offered a good career. I now can speak 2 languages and have civilian qualifications in a manual trade (Welding), and I have a bright future ahead of me whereby I can provide for my family in the long term and they can have a comfortable life.

Having spent a little bit of time here I can honestly say I dont give 2 shits about the reason for being in Afghanistan but this is the way I see it. I came out here full of good intentions, I wanted to do my small part to help the army as a whole to give the people here their country back. Under Taliban rule there was no music allowed, no dancing, no schools. People were beheaded in the street for menial crimes. Now there is a justice system, security for the local population to live their lives unhindered (to an extent, we are obviously a hinderance.) We are pouring money we don't have in to rebuilding, improving and empowering the local infrastructure. We are providing healthcare, paying compensation for any damage we cause. We take great care to avoid harming non-combatants to the point were the number of acceptable civilian casualties is zero for all operations. (As it rightly should be.) The only time a civilian is injured is when the enemy deliberately cause civilians to be in an area.
    An enemy is identified by the fact that he is shooting at you or is about to shoot at you. We arent just cutting about smashing the gaff up. We're not Americans. If anyone is hurt by us, enemy or civilian we treat them, fly them to hospital and then get them better then we either take them home if they are civilians or we arrest them and hand them over to the Afghan legal system for justice if they are proved to be enemy/criminals. We can't do anything more to reduce our negative impact other than leave. But we cant do that until the Afghan Security forces are strong enough to protect their own population otherwise the Taliban will come straight back in and punish all the people that have cooperated with us or we have helped. And nobody wants that. Now we're here we have to see it through.

People I know are being smashed in when they don't even really want to be here. And when they get home they get a small amount of compensation from the Army. We have to pay our own PAX insurance and life insurance or our families get a trivial amount should the worst occur. There isn't a lot of money for rehab facilities or charitable assistance to the familes of injured or killed soldiers. The money from Help for Heroes fills that gap. Its a vital source of funds to get peoples lives back on track because the Army doesn't provide. Unfortunately there just isn't enough money to pay for everything and that is why we have to rely on the charity of strangers.

I love you long time guys.

Sorry about the pictures not happening.

KTM
    That's a great post. Worth bumping.
  • KTM 22 Nov 2010 16:01:36 1,674 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hi guys. Hope all is well in the house of EG. I'm back at a location with Internet now as I'm preparing for 2 weeks back at home. I have some all kinds of things to tell you about but I probably won't remember them all now.

First of all a casualty update (this is purely from my squadron, so out of around 150 people)

Another guy shot in the neck, im in the same room as him right now. It was a straight through and through. He'll be going back on the ground soon.

Another triple amputee, 2 legs and 1 hand.

One of my good friends was shot in the crotch this morning. He's back in hospital now, I spent a couple of hours with him. It entered 2 inches to the right of his penis in the upper thigh and exited through the hole in his pelvis out of his ass cheek. He officially has 2 ass holes. Beautiful. He's looking forward to getting home and getting some money from his personal accident insurance - although he may get nothing as it's not a life changing injury.

I have been shot at now. A burst of fire rang out with a single sharp shooter shot immediately afterwards from a different firing point. Luckily it went over my shoulder, missing my head and neck and hit my rifle. I have pictures which I will post when I'm on r&r. It's a strange feeling. A lot if adrenaline, a lot of excitement. Not a lot of fear until well past the event when you have time to reflect on how close it actually was. The worst part of the whole thing was that I didn't fire a single shot back. I couldn't 100% positively identify a man with a weapon so I couldn't shoot. That sharpshooter can come and go as he pleases and be safe in the knowledge that he's pretty safe. It was probably the same guy that shot my friend and 2 other people this morning.

I saw a guy digging in an IED at night and wasn't allowed to shoot him either. The area was merely ruled out of bounds for a couple if days and then the IED was confirmed and dealt with. That bomb layer has no fear of laying bombs at night as we sift shoot him. He'll be back.

It's strange how quickly the lads and I have become blasť about the dangers of being here. Obviously when rounds are landing around you it's time to consider being elsewhere but when theyre passing over head and when they're close but going another direction we don't bat an eyelid.

Ive been sleeping in a tent with 12 other blokes for the last month, no heating, no comforts, eating rations and drinking only tea or water. The only luxury I have had although rarely used was my iPod. It's been a real eye opener for me how happy and content I have been with my situation. As long as you have food to eat, someone to talk to, something to occupy your mind (like a book) and somewhere dry to sleep. Everything else in your life can be stripped away and you can be just as happy as you are at home. Well, you can maybe not as happy but definitely not truly wanting for anything other than family. The human mind is so wonderfully adaptive. I am so glad i have been able to look at my situation from the outside and appreciate the way of things.

I'm also sick of the cold. It's was very hit when I first arrived and now as soon as the sun goes down it's freezing. I'm sleeping in a sleeping bag rated to minus 10 inside another sleeping bag wearing clothes and I'm still waking up freezing. It doesn't warm up again until about 10 or 11 am so getting out of bed is a nightmare. It's how I imagine being delivered from the womb to feel. Also lack of water means I had 1 shower 3 weeks ago and that's it. I've been wearing socks for 4 to 5 days at a time and pants for a month at a time. (we have some crazy pants called 30 day pants so it's acceptable...) some of the lads are wearing socks for 2 weeks at a time then just burning them. Athletes foot has started to set in for a few. There's not a lot can be done though. Was on a 6ltr a day limit but that has now gone back up to 10. That's including washing and cooking etc.

We work until it gets dark, then we eat the sleep and then wake up and go again. It makes the days fly by.

But right now I'm sat in a heated tent, I'm not working hard for the next few days and then I'm coming home! Woop Woop!

Then back out here for 3 months more.

Will definitely pop down to Brighton on r&r.

Love you long time

KTM

X
  • KTM 22 Nov 2010 16:02:47 1,674 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • KTM 22 Nov 2010 16:03:23 1,674 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • ecureuil 22 Nov 2010 16:03:38 76,652 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Damn, that sounds close! Glad you're alright though.
  • spamdangled 22 Nov 2010 16:05:55 27,276 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You're a fucking credit to the human race dude. I don't agree with the war, but I have the utmost respect for someone with the courage to do what you do.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• StarchildHypocrethes 22 Nov 2010 16:06:35 25,510 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm going to release a Christmas single to raise money for Socks For Heroes.

You bunch of filthy buggars! ;)
  • LionheartDJH 22 Nov 2010 16:09:31 19,373 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thanks for the update KTM, glad you're keeping safe and that you made it out of that situation alright. It sounds like hell, have massive respect for you for living with it and keeping cool, really sorry to hear about some of your fellow soldiers' injuries. Glad to hear you're coming back home for a bit, hope you have a great stay and that your next tour isn't quite so bad. Keep up the great work, you're an absolute credit to the nation and to yourself!

She dives for cheese pasties

• Psychotext 22 Nov 2010 16:09:33 53,915 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Shot through the neck... and back out soon? Is the guy related to that girl out of Heroes? lol
  • spamdangled 22 Nov 2010 16:10:51 27,276 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    We should throw a IRL "welcome home" party when he gets back.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• CosmicFuzz 22 Nov 2010 16:11:19 23,746 posts
    Seen 31 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    All the best dude.

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• billythekid 22 Nov 2010 16:11:22 11,098 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Glad you're still ok dude, enjoy your time back home, god knows you deserve it.
  • Derblington 22 Nov 2010 16:12:29 21,476 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You really do come across as a credit to UK squaddies and the military in general. Bet you're still a wanker on Xbox Live though ;)

Keep on keeping on, and stay safe.
  • MetalDog 22 Nov 2010 16:13:00 23,697 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Is it possible to sand-wash feet and socks a bit to stop the rot?
    Although my memory is telling me athletes foot is a fungi of some sort, so you're probably catching it rather than developing it - my dad got his in the army.

Stay lucky and be as nice to the locals as you can.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Page

of 13 First / Last