of 13 First / Last

• MrWonderstuff 3 Oct 2010 01:31:22 1,925 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Look forward to pics. Take care.
  • THFourteen 3 Oct 2010 07:38:00 33,109 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Was there a collection for the tshirt? Totally missed that.

Hope you are ok KTM.
  • mcmonkeyplc 3 Oct 2010 09:18:25 39,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Totally missed this thread! I echo the sentiments of all in this thread, stay safe!

Oh and when your on your way back from their base with their flag make sure you keep dropping it and picking it up.

Apparently it speeds you up!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• KTM 14 Oct 2010 17:42:26 1,674 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hi guys, KTM here. I managed to get online for a bit. I'm currently sat in my amazing EG tshirt, representing! Haven't managed to do the flag dealio yet but it's on my to do list.

There's an American PX store on the camp I am currently at and the sell ps3s, dj hero, other games and they've stuck a sign up saying that to respect those US soldiers serving there they will not be selling the new MOH. I'm sure today is not the best day to bring this up, after the terrible few days the US have had but it seems ridiculous. It's a GAME you fools. The American squaddies should be able to make their own minds up. I'm sure all my british mates will be playing it the minute they get home and start getting their game on again. Them Americans are so sensitive, especially considering they started this war. And they keep saying hoo-ar! After everything. I thought that was just a cliche.

Love you guys. I'll be around for a couple of days so I will try and chip in on some threads.

Also one of my mates has a kill streak of one, I saw a predator drone take off the other day (some one obviously got to 4 kills!), humvees are tiny in real life and them funny looking helicopters off Transformers that look like planes are real and they look like UFOs when they're flying about!

Love you long time.

KTM x
  • psychokitten Moderator 14 Oct 2010 17:44:59 7,794 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That last paragraph is gold :)
  • Dirtbox 14 Oct 2010 17:46:19 77,660 posts
    Seen 54 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sounds like quite an experience. You should make an Achievement binder.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• VandelayIndustries 14 Oct 2010 17:46:27 1,523 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nice one fella!

I don't get the hyper-sensitivity over MoH either, but then again I'm not over there.
  • Dirtbox 14 Oct 2010 17:54:30 77,660 posts
    Seen 54 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    KTM wrote:
    funny looking helicopters off Transformers that look like planes are real and they look like UFOs when they're flying about!
    Cool!

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• KTM 14 Oct 2010 18:00:10 1,674 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Also one of the lads from my unit had his legs blown off 2 days ago. He'd been here for 9 days. If you fancy any charity fund raising in the future please consider help for heroes, it's as worthy a cause as any other and I feel like I should plug it a little. He is only 20.
  • phAge 14 Oct 2010 18:01:41 24,344 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bummer. :(
  • KTM 19 Oct 2010 03:41:59 1,674 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Another 2 lads from my unit got blown up yesterday. One lost his eyesight and the other lost both legs. You never ear about injuries in the news, only deaths. 2 days ago 21 American soldiers got hit in a single explosion and one died. 20 were missing limbs. That's not in the news either.
  • Psychotext 19 Oct 2010 03:48:11 53,920 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :(
  • buggrit 19 Oct 2010 08:23:59 5,178 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hi Tom *waves*

Dude, glad to read that you're OK - sorry about the other guys in your unit :( Stay safe chap!
  • billythekid 19 Oct 2010 09:03:38 11,098 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    :(

Sad news dude. Keep safe.
  • DaM 19 Oct 2010 09:07:39 12,971 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Shit. Keep your head down KTM.
  • LetsGo 19 Oct 2010 09:15:03 5,183 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Damn, bad news :(, you keep safe you hear!

I don't get 'help the heroes', It shouldnt even exist. Why we need a charity to help our soldiers when they get home I still find unbelievable! If the government wants to pay to send you out to war then they should pay to look after you.

Until they do, ill of course, support the charity!
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 19 Oct 2010 09:50:49 10,853 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • figgis 19 Oct 2010 09:57:59 7,376 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:

I don't get 'help the heroes', It shouldnt even exist. Why we need a charity to help our soldiers when they get home I still find unbelievable! If the government wants to pay to send you out to war then they should pay to look after you.

It's disgusting how they treat soldiers. I've never agreed with either of the wars but the people going out there to fight should have a decent standard of living waiting for them when they get back.
  • Bremenacht 19 Oct 2010 13:45:23 17,710 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Do keep posting, KTM. It's good to read a personal experience, rather than headline news. You're right - we don't really hear about the injuries, yet they're there for life.
  • Inertia 19 Oct 2010 14:01:35 677 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    figgis wrote:
    LetsGo wrote:

It's disgusting how they treat soldiers. I've never agreed with either of the wars but the people going out there to fight should have a decent standard of living waiting for them when they get back.

It's amazing how people can disassociate the soldier from the atrocity. The one causes the other. And in the interests of impartiality how many Afghan civilians were killed this week? That's not in the news either.

• Jeepers 19 Oct 2010 14:05:50 13,173 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Inertia wrote:
    figgis wrote:
    LetsGo wrote:

It's amazing how people can disassociate the soldier from the atrocity.

That's kind of the point of the structure, training, and hierarchy of the army isn't it? You don't really want your soldiers collapsing in a puddle of tears and recrimination every time an enemy gets shot.
  • Fake_Blood 19 Oct 2010 14:10:28 4,157 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hey KTM! Stay Frosty!
  • KTM 30 Oct 2010 08:38:58 1,674 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hey guys. A bit of an update from out here. I still havent been shot at personaly but we have had 1 KIA 2 amputations; 1 above the knee single leg and the other double amputation, one above and one below the knee. (this being important as rehabilitation is much harder when you lose a joint.) We have had 5 other casualties of varying seriousness including one young lad getting shot in the neck. Luckily he survived with only 2 fractured vertebrae.

I am unable to take a picture of me 'capturing the flag' in a compound as this wouldn't go down well if I put it on the internet and it was there for all the world to see. I have, however, 'captured' the flag and if the staff at EG are interested I can pop down to Brighton on my R&R next month and return the enemy flag to HQ for massive points. And possibly a level up and new weapon unlock. Let me know in this thread and I will organise a hand over/take over of the flag.

You might wonder why anyone would choose to be here. Well, I don't want to be out here, I want to be at home with my children. Im here because I left school at 16, had no prospects and the army offered a good career. I now can speak 2 languages and have civilian qualifications in a manual trade (Welding), and I have a bright future ahead of me whereby I can provide for my family in the long term and they can have a comfortable life.

Having spent a little bit of time here I can honestly say I dont give 2 shits about the reason for being in Afghanistan but this is the way I see it. I came out here full of good intentions, I wanted to do my small part to help the army as a whole to give the people here their country back. Under Taliban rule there was no music allowed, no dancing, no schools. People were beheaded in the street for menial crimes. Now there is a justice system, security for the local population to live their lives unhindered (to an extent, we are obviously a hinderance.) We are pouring money we don't have in to rebuilding, improving and empowering the local infrastructure. We are providing healthcare, paying compensation for any damage we cause. We take great care to avoid harming non-combatants to the point were the number of acceptable civilian casualties is zero for all operations. (As it rightly should be.) The only time a civilian is injured is when the enemy deliberately cause civilians to be in an area.
    An enemy is identified by the fact that he is shooting at you or is about to shoot at you. We arent just cutting about smashing the gaff up. We're not Americans. If anyone is hurt by us, enemy or civilian we treat them, fly them to hospital and then get them better then we either take them home if they are civilians or we arrest them and hand them over to the Afghan legal system for justice if they are proved to be enemy/criminals. We can't do anything more to reduce our negative impact other than leave. But we cant do that until the Afghan Security forces are strong enough to protect their own population otherwise the Taliban will come straight back in and punish all the people that have cooperated with us or we have helped. And nobody wants that. Now we're here we have to see it through.

People I know are being smashed in when they don't even really want to be here. And when they get home they get a small amount of compensation from the Army. We have to pay our own PAX insurance and life insurance or our families get a trivial amount should the worst occur. There isn't a lot of money for rehab facilities or charitable assistance to the familes of injured or killed soldiers. The money from Help for Heroes fills that gap. Its a vital source of funds to get peoples lives back on track because the Army doesn't provide. Unfortunately there just isn't enough money to pay for everything and that is why we have to rely on the charity of strangers.

I love you long time guys.

Sorry about the pictures not happening.

KTM
  • morriss 30 Oct 2010 08:41:26 70,920 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sounds like hell on earth, tbh.

Keep safe. Get home.
  • Ginger 30 Oct 2010 08:41:56 6,829 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Good to hear from you KTM, and excellent post. Keep your head down.

London open taekwondo champion

• Trowel 30 Oct 2010 08:42:23 17,537 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Great post KTM, all the best out there.
  • KTM 30 Oct 2010 08:54:52 1,674 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Inertia wrote:
    figgis wrote:
    LetsGo wrote:

It's amazing how people can disassociate the soldier from the atrocity. The one causes the other. And in the interests of impartiality how many Afghan civilians were killed this week? That's not in the news either.

Give it a few years and Wiki Leaks will be all over it. Have no fear that any unjustifiable actions will come to light. There are too many people looking to discredit the war for any thing to be swept under the carpet.
  • PrivateFloyd 30 Oct 2010 08:55:55 4,111 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Awesome post dude stay safe.

I have a couple of mates in service at the moment who pretty much share your thoughts.

It's quite humbling to be able to read about what your going through dude despite not ever having met you.

I tip my hat to you.

Goat is hungry.....

• boo 30 Oct 2010 08:57:28 11,735 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Glad to hear that you're still in one piece, mate - keep it that way.
    And +50 kerjillion on the HFH thing. Shouldn't need them, but while we do, I'll keep supporting them.

Stay frosty!

Just Another Lego Blog

• Page

of 13 First / Last