Next
  • mcmothercruncher 4 Feb 2014 07:33:48 7,084 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This is my favourite source of Myrcene:

• coastal 4 Feb 2014 08:39:42 5,383 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Moot_Point The best way to chop onions is to keep them in the fridge. Then there's no vapour at all.

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• Salaman 23 Apr 2014 12:11:13 19,090 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was reading a book yesterday and the author mentioned a prose poem by Baudelaire and gave a synopsis of it. It read just like "How beautiful you are" from The Cure, so I went looking for the poem itself.

“The Eyes of the Poor” by Charles Baudelaire

Oh! You want to know why I hate you today. It will undoubtedly be less easy for you to understand than it will be for me to explain, for you are, I believe, the most beautiful example of feminine impermeability one could ever encounter.

We had spent together a long day that had seemed short to me. We had indeed promised that we would share all of our thoughts with one another, and that our two souls would henceforth be one — a dream that isn’t the least bit original, after all, if not that, dreamed of by all men, it has been realized by none.

In the evening, a bit tired, we wanted to sit down in front of a new café that formed the corner of a new boulevard, still strewn with debris and already gloriously displaying its unfinished splendors. The café was sparkling. The gaslight itself sent forth all the ardor of a debut and lit with all its force walls blinding in their whiteness, dazzling sheets of mirrors, the gold of the rods and cornices, chubby-cheeked page-boys being dragged by dogs on leashes, laughing ladies with falcons perched on their wrist, nymphs and goddesses carrying on their heads fruits, pies, and poultry, Hebes and Ganymedes presenting in out-stretched arms little amphoras filled with Bavarian cream or bi-colored obelisks of ice cream — all of history and all of mythology at the service of gluttony.

Right in front of us, on the sidewalk, a worthy man in his forties was standing, with a tired face, a greying beard, and holding with one hand a little boy and carrying on the other arm a little being too weak to walk. He was playing the role of nanny and had taken his children out for a walk in the night air. All in rags. The three faces were extraordinarily serious, and the six eyes contemplated fixedly the new café with an equal admiration, but shaded differently according to their age.

The father’s eyes said: “How beautiful it is! How beautiful it is! You’d think all the gold in this poor world was on its walls.” — The eyes of the little boy: “How beautiful it is! How beautiful it is! But it’s a house only people who aren’t like us can enter.” — As for the eyes of the smaller child, they were too fascinated to express anything other than a stupid and profound joy.

Song-writers say that pleasure makes the soul good and softens the heart. The song was right this evening, as regards me. Not only was I moved by this family of eyes, but I also felt a little ashamed of our glasses and our carafes, which were larger than our thirst. I turned my gaze toward your’s, dear love, to read my thoughts there; I plunged into your so beautiful and so bizarrely gentle eyes, into your green eyes, inhabited by Caprice and inspired by the Moon, and then you said to me: “I can’t stand those people over there, with their eyes wide open like carriage gates! Can’t you tell the head-waiter to send them away?”

So difficult is it to understand one another, my dear angel, and so incommunicable is thought, even between people in love!”

http://aplaceforpeace.wordpress.com/2009/09/12/the-eyes-of-the-poor-by-charles-baudelaire/
  • darkmorgado 23 Apr 2014 12:20:39 15,542 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, well, well... Looks like we've got ourselves a reader.

/spits tobacco juice

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• Salaman 23 Apr 2014 12:53:32 19,090 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hides book under Nuts magazine.

No, no. Just watching the pictures, honestly!

/sweats
  • grey_matters 7 Aug 2014 09:14:04 3,765 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yesterday I learned that there was such a thing as a Bat Bomb. A canister filled with bats each of which had a tiny incendiary device attached to them. The idea was that the bats would look for roosts in the nooks and crevices of Japanese houses where a fire could start without anyone noticing.

They eventually got it working but not before accidently releasing 'armed' bats which roosted under the army base's fuel tank and ended up destroying half of the Base. It was discontinued once the atomic bomb tests were successful.
  • Salaman 7 Aug 2014 09:42:19 19,090 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That is pretty good! :-)

Off topic technically but yesterday I learned about a big POW camp escape in WWI, where 29 English escaped through a tunnel. 10 made it to Holland safely, making it the most succesful escape.

The 19 that got caught just stood out like a sore thumb as they were walking the countryside and passed through villages and soon all the nearby villages were involved in a manhunt to catch escapees.

One guy spoke fluent German and managed to blend in and take the train.

The most ingenious of all was 3 guys that stuck together. One spoke fluent German, the other a bit of German and the 3rd none at all.
    They evaded being caught by pretending the non German speaker was a lunatic and the other two were accompanying him to an assylum.

When they had to pass through a village, the "lunatic" would act out tremendously. Then the fluent speaker would explain his mental state and pretend to give him a pill. The lunatic would then calm down and slump down and be "passed out" for a minute or 2-3 after which he's get up again and be calm and docile and they'd carry on out of the village.

The villagers were terrified of madmen and left them well enough alone.

12 days after their escape, they crossed the border into Holland.

Edited by Salaman at 11:03:38 07-08-2014

Edited by Salaman at 11:05:13 07-08-2014
  • Deleted user 7 August 2014 10:37:40
    That's bloody brilliant lol
  • HardlyRiding 7 Aug 2014 11:49:51 15 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Today I learned that if you cross baguettes, brown sauce and a white shirt you end up going home sick.
  • Salaman 15 Aug 2014 12:34:29 19,090 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That you can now use your mobile whilst on the Eurotunnel train under the Channel.

/about half way between Calais and Folkestone
  • Salaman 15 Aug 2014 12:36:19 19,090 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That you can now use your mobile whilst on the Eurotunnel train under the Channel.

/about half way between Calais and Folkestone
  • mal 15 Aug 2014 15:22:18 22,582 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Was that one English post and one French one? Zut alors, now nous sont vraiment international.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• thelzdking 15 Aug 2014 15:31:20 4,367 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That it really is Richard Nixon bowling on the poster in The Dude's apartment. Apparently as well as being corrupt he was an avid bowler.
  • DrStrangelove 27 Aug 2014 20:40:01 4,029 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Today I learned from a documentary that among the most revered Christian relics were Jesus' Holy Foreskins (there were several of them).

I thought they were shitting me, before I realised they weren't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Prepuce
  • Page

of 18 First / Last

Next