Today I learned... Page 17

• Page

of 18 First / Last

• Agent_Llama 4 Jan 2014 12:14:41 3,379 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    Hanlon's razor
    Hanlon's razor is an eponymous adage that allows the elimination of unlikely explanations for a phenomenon. It reads:
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    'Cock-up before conspiracy.'

I like this. I might quote it at the parents who are now claiming I am picking on their son because I didn't deal with a minor incident in a proper way at the end of a long day. /sigh

3DS: Mooky - 2019-9643-8311
    NNid: Agent_Llama
    Vita/PS3/360: Faloola
    FFXIV ARR: Alekzander Lockhart, Odin

• opalw00t 4 Jan 2014 13:02:13 11,283 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I use that one daily...

not a force for good

• Phil-McCrack 4 Jan 2014 13:18:34 3,347 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    That site is great but noticed an error, tin foil in the paint tray is stupid as it can tear easily on removal, surely cling film would be much better.

Some of those tips are great though.

Danny MacAskill gives me a boner
    Formerly OptimusPube

• EMarkM 4 Jan 2014 13:31:21 3,421 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @localnotail Brillant tips there :) Thanks.
  • Phil-McCrack 4 Jan 2014 14:06:09 3,347 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I don't have a cat but that bin liner over the tray is genius, most of em are in fact.

Formerly OptimusPube

• Defecationqueen 4 Jan 2014 16:33:13 651 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    OptimusPube wrote:
    I don't have a cat but that bin liner over the tray is genius, most of em are in fact.
    I don't see how it would work, though. When you try to fold the bag back over/inside out to dispose of the waste, it's going to fall off the top of the bag onto the floor. :confused:
  • Defecationqueen 4 Jan 2014 16:35:22 651 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    When chopping onions, hold a wet wooden spoon between your teeth with the 'cup' of the spoon pointing outwards. Yes, you look like a tool - but the damp wood draws in the odours and traps them preventing your eyes from burning.
  • Defecationqueen 4 Jan 2014 16:36:54 651 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Add toothpaste to your breakfast, preferably something crunchy like Cornflakes, to save yourself from having to brush your teeth the conventional way if you're in a rush for work.
  • Phil-McCrack 4 Jan 2014 16:46:09 3,347 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Defecationqueen wrote:
    OptimusPube wrote:
    I don't see how it would work, though. When you try to fold the bag back over/inside out to dispose of the waste, it's going to fall off the top of the bag onto the floor. :confused:
    You untuck the bag from the bottom first so you're turning it inside out and in on itself silly, you'd need a baggier liner than the one shown in the pic, that one looks a little tight.

Formerly OptimusPube

• Defecationqueen 4 Jan 2014 16:48:27 651 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    OptimusPube wrote:
    Defecationqueen wrote:
    OptimusPube wrote:
    You untuck the bag from the bottom first so you're turning it inside out and in on itself silly, you'd need a baggier liner than the one shown in the pic, that one looks a little tight.
    I'm also thinking of the litter tray that I have for my cat, it's a large one with a top that can be removed for cleaning. It'll probably work with a tray with lower sides. The sides on the tray my cat uses are about a foot high. She likes her privacy ;-)
  • skuzzbag 4 Jan 2014 17:20:29 5,714 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My cat ripped the bin liner to shreds as she over scrapes after doing her business.

A good one for drilling is to stick tape on the wall over where the hole is going as it stops old plaster from crumbling. Also start with the smallest drill and work upwards when drilling into plaster+brick, I fucked up tons of holes before this was pointed out to me!
  • Phil-McCrack 4 Jan 2014 18:51:56 3,347 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Another tip for drilling, tiles specifically, manually turn the chuck first with your hands a few rotations to break through the glaze so you don't slip.

Formerly OptimusPube

• altitude2k 5 Jan 2014 10:10:09 4,873 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dogs' front legs are not attached to the skeleton by anything other than muscle. And if a dog is having problems with its hips it can quite happily have the joint removed and be supported by just the muscle.
  • warlockuk 5 Jan 2014 10:42:13 19,223 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    skuzzbag wrote:
    My cat ripped the bin liner to shreds as she over scrapes after doing her business.

A good one for drilling is to stick tape on the wall over where the hole is going as it stops old plaster from crumbling. Also start with the smallest drill and work upwards when drilling into plaster+brick, I fucked up tons of holes before this was pointed out to me!
    Yeah, that's basically creating a smaller guide hole - the grooves of the drill will guide dust and debris and dust out but the core of the drill bit is solid - that's about the size your guide hole will need to be (sorta).

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Phil-McCrack 5 Jan 2014 11:09:40 3,347 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Today I learned there's an Easter egg near the end of Big Trouble in Little China, there's Chinese lettering in the lightening when the lightening spirit get's killed, it translates to Carpenter who directed the film.

I know it's an old film but I thought I should spoiler it anyway.

Formerly OptimusPube

• drip 5 Jan 2014 20:58:05 4,637 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Defecationqueen wrote:
    Add toothpaste to your breakfast, preferably something crunchy like Cornflakes, to save yourself from having to brush your teeth the conventional way if you're in a rush for work.
    Isn't that a bit like eating toilet paper with your meal so you won't have to wipe your arse later?

Well, it probably isn't. But I love my idea so much that I'm going to try it soon.
  • elhozzo 6 Jan 2014 22:45:54 351 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Minnie Driver and Mimi Rogers are not the same person...
  • localnotail 6 Jan 2014 23:01:51 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That there is a condition called Diphallia, which is where a man is born with two functioning penises. Saucy

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• PazJohnMitch 7 Jan 2014 00:14:13 8,723 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That was discussed on a TV show many years ago. (Channel 4 I think). There were a few British guys on there with 2 which they showed. Those guys however only had one full size penis and another which was closer to a clitoris in size. (Think one had his second coming off his ball sack which looked like a wart).

They interviewed a couple where the guy had two full ones. (Not shown, think they were American). The wife / gf talked about how they usually used one or the other but occasionally used both if she was lucky. (Not sure if that guy come cum indepently from one or the other. The redditt guy's pissing story would suggest it might be both together).
  • Towels 7 Jan 2014 00:29:25 22 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    If she was lucky?
  • PazJohnMitch 7 Jan 2014 09:54:05 8,723 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Towels wrote:
    If she was lucky?
    Her words!
  • Zomoniac 7 Jan 2014 10:08:28 7,974 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If that tin opener for blister packs works then my life will never be the same again.
  • PazJohnMitch 7 Jan 2014 10:11:30 8,723 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Definitely trying that. (If I remember).
  • Phil-McCrack 15 Jan 2014 20:10:20 3,347 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    TIL That Pringles tubes make for excellent spaghetti storage.

Formerly OptimusPube

• MMMarmite 15 Jan 2014 20:52:34 1,108 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    OptimusPube wrote:
    Another tip for drilling, tiles specifically, manually turn the chuck first with your hands a few rotations to break through the glaze so you don't slip.
    I've always used masking tape on the tile instead, but this is good tip for if I'm out of or can't be bothered to grab the tape :)
  • altitude2k 31 Jan 2014 18:41:24 4,873 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mike Tyson once offered a zoo attendent $10,000 to let him fight a silverback.

They didn't. He would have had his face ripped off.
  • Moot_Point 31 Jan 2014 18:45:14 4,594 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Defecationqueen wrote:
    When chopping onions, hold a wet wooden spoon between your teeth with the 'cup' of the spoon pointing outwards. Yes, you look like a tool - but the damp wood draws in the odours and traps them preventing your eyes from burning.
    A better way is to breathe in and out through your mouth, bypassing your nose as the onion fumes irritate your tear ducts.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• JiveHound 31 Jan 2014 18:56:20 2,712 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Also keep the root on while you cut the onion. Doesn't completely mitigate the fumes but seems to help.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• mcmothercruncher 2 Feb 2014 21:23:21 7,799 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Modern humans and Neanderthals may have only cross-bred 4 times in total, yet it gave us fairer skin, straighter hair and a weakness to type 2 diabetes and Crohn's disease...
  • sirtacos 4 Feb 2014 00:55:36 7,378 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Myrcene found in fresh mangoes helps weed get you higher.
    For best results, eat one or several mangoes 40 minutes to an hour beforehand.

Lemongrass essential oil works even better - a few drops contain more myrcene than several whole mangoes combined.
  • Page

of 18 First / Last