Today I learned... Page 13

• Page

of 18 First / Last

• mal 7 Jan 2013 20:37:24 22,478 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Heh, apparently not so much a magic penis, as a winged phallus worn around the neck to ward off evil sorcery. I do like the irony, that if you don't want to be struck down by a curse, you need to wear a flying cock proudly about your person.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 7 January 2013 20:48:01
    Buzz Aldrin's mother's maiden name was Moon.

Edited by mowgli at 20:49:59 07-01-2013
  • FutileResistor 7 Jan 2013 21:55:51 1,228 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That Britain has invaded 171/193 of the countries currently recognised by the UN.

It's a little bit of a stretch as the list includes incursions by British pirates, privateers or armed explorers with government approval.

Andorra
    Belarus
    Bolivia
    Burundi
    Central African Republic
    Chad
    Congo, Republic of
    Guatemala
    Ivory Coast
    Kyrgyzstan
    Liechtenstein
    Luxembourg
    Mali
    Marshall Islands
    Monaco
    Mongolia
    Paraguay
    Sao Tome and Principe
    Sweden
    Tajikistan
    Uzbekistan
    Vatican City

are the only countries to avoid "invasion".

Edited by FutileResistor at 21:57:45 07-01-2013
  • jonsaan 7 Jan 2013 21:57:57 25,342 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wooooooooooo!

/fist pump

GBR! GBR!

Woooooooooooooo!

FCUTA!

• PazJohnMitch 7 Jan 2013 21:58:04 8,028 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is that because the French got there first?
  • Kostabi 7 Jan 2013 22:00:07 4,912 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hmm, I reckon they're all doable. Incursions into Monaco and Vatican City would be hilarious, by the time the TV stations got there the flags would already be changed.
  • Carlo 7 Jan 2013 22:00:34 18,004 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Today I learnt what a back-to-front cervix is.

PSN ID: Djini

• Deleted user 7 January 2013 22:01:50
    FutileResistor wrote:
    Vatican City
    As the Vatican's only natural resource it's hardly as though we've ever been lacking for hypocritical paedophiles is it?

Edited by HurbleBurble at 22:02:44 07-01-2013
  • jonsaan 7 Jan 2013 22:01:57 25,342 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sounds sexy!

Care to explain?.

FCUTA!

• localnotail 8 Jan 2013 00:34:47 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That a baby's capacity to create mucus is limitless and alarming.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• PhoenixFlames 8 Jan 2013 07:51:52 8,946 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Graveland wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Buzz Aldrin's mother's maiden name was Moon.
    And her favourite newspaper was The Sun * bah dum tsch*
    And her favourite chocolate bar was a Galaxy!

Bah dum tsch?

PSN - phoenix1flames

• EMarkM 8 Jan 2013 08:04:35 3,173 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @PhoenixFlames No. No bah dum tsch.
  • EMarkM 8 Jan 2013 08:05:27 3,173 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted
  • mal 8 Jan 2013 08:14:04 22,478 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago

• Deleted user 9 January 2013 04:02:44
    Beer is the cornerstone of civilisation.

We moved from a hunter/gatherer society to a farming one upon the discovery of beer. We created settlements in order to live near the grains that beer was made from. We invented bread (in the form of bappir) in order to create better beer. Recipes and culinary arts originated from adding different herbs, spices and fruits to beer in order to change the taste. We created farming and irrigation so we could control the grains that beer was made from. The vitamins inherent in malt offset our need to hunt and eat so much meat. We created leisure because this plus the control and surplus of grains meant people didn't have to work full time for food. We created warehouses to store the surplus. Cities were created with these warehouses as the centre. These warehouses became temples, as beer was innately connected to gods, so beer created organised religion. We created government in order to control the distribution of beer. We created money to purchase beer. We created writing to track the sale and tax of beer.
  • Khanivor 9 Jan 2013 04:47:30 40,579 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I thought it was weed.
  • mal 9 Jan 2013 05:31:27 22,478 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Weed is the cornerstone of late night corner shops.

Seems to me that wine predates beer, and the Greeks got a lot of this civilisation malarkey sorted out on that alone, albeit only after us Britons were already glugging beer by the barrel, apparently. They'd have got it sorted quicker if they weren't constantly pished on cheap red plonk and dodgy ouzo.

• MetalDog 9 Jan 2013 07:08:35 23,697 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    meme wrote:
    We created leisure because this plus the control and surplus of grains meant people didn't have to work full time for food.
    This bit is bollocks. We had loads of free time as hunter gatherers when the pickings were good.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• quadfather 9 Jan 2013 08:39:15 12,010 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I learnt that I should have kept hold of the plastic bit inside the toilet cistern when removing the broken metal bit as now the plastic bit has dropped further into the flushing container. So now I can't flush my toilet. Fuck.

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Nexus_6 9 Jan 2013 08:41:40 3,876 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can you just fill a bucket from the tap and pour down the bog? This should do until you can get a (real man) plumber?
  • quadfather 9 Jan 2013 13:49:03 12,010 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Nexus_6 - yup, bucket all in place, and I've worked out how to fix it now, so tonight I'll either be the saviour of the world, or a massive buffoon

• Deleted user 9 January 2013 14:49:06
    mal wrote:
    Seems to me that wine predates beer, and the Greeks got a lot of this civilisation malarkey sorted out on that alone, albeit only after us Britons were already glugging beer by the barrel, apparently. They'd have got it sorted quicker if they weren't constantly pished on cheap red plonk and dodgy ouzo.
    While wine and mead may have been discovered around the same time as beer, it's widely understood that the specific creation and storage of beer predates wine, as wine didn't really take off until pottery became properly widespread (beer kept longer than wine did in leather sacks and animal stomachs). And it didn't overtake beer in popularity until the Romans (though the Greeks loved both, the drunken bastards). Though obviously it wasn't solely beer that did all the above (especially once bread actually came along) - but they're exaggerations, not embellishments. There's evidence showing that beer was the primary commodity in most instances - the earliest cuneiform writing tablets are basically receipts and ledgers, and have the symbol for beer most commonly.

MD: It's, again, an exaggeration, but not really bollocks. Prior to agriculture, hunter/gatherers were nomads who lived almost day to day with regards to food. While they would have hovered around plentiful areas, there was no consistency to any spare time. That's really what farming and whatnot achieved - it was worked out that a farmer could harvest enough grain for a family for a year in just three weeks of harvesting natural crops. When they started to control this it lead to a consistent pattern of work/rest/work/rest, and with the establishment of permanent settlements around where grains were good saw the birth and development of carpentry and architecture as "artful" pursuits rather than just spur of the moment "I need shelter/a tool" things, with aesthetics and artwork a distant second.

It's fascinating stuff, anyway. Reading a couple of books about it at the moment. "Civilisation" effectively began when mankind discovered he could get drunk.
  • MetalDog 9 Jan 2013 15:04:45 23,697 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I guess it depends what you count as civilised. Plenty of seasonal nomadic tribes had great artworks, religious and ceremonial sites to visit at certain times of year, songs, poetry, stories, fables, traditions, weddings, etc. Even with all the information that was lost from the non-writing ones, we still know this.

• Deleted user 9 January 2013 15:13:07
    "Civilisation" at its root meaning means "living in a city" - comes from the same root as "citizen" and whatnot. But yeah, nomadic tribes still had their own cultures and artforms and religious ceremonies so on and so forth. Settlement wasn't the outright birth of creativity, but certainly the birth of permanence, organisation and structure for it.
  • andytheadequate 9 Jan 2013 15:14:42 8,136 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Civilised literally means you live in a city, or a society that is able to live in cities.

Although Leeds city centre on a Saturday night probably disproves this

Edited by andytheadequate at 15:16:08 09-01-2013
  • quadfather 9 Jan 2013 15:17:35 12,010 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I found that a good interview question to ask the employer at the end of the interview is, "Is there any reason why you think I couldn't do this job?"

• MetalDog 9 Jan 2013 15:18:09 23,697 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    We'll have to agree to disagree on that last point. I think there's still plenty of stone monuments kicking around from nomad tribes - I think they were plenty creative and structured for the most part. Just look at the Aborigines.

• Page

of 18 First / Last