Today I learned... Page 12

• Page

of 18 First / Last

• TheRealBadabing 13 Dec 2012 00:35:39 1,329 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Maybe but there are some women I would give my right arm for, so I suppose at some point in their evolution a sexy octopus said "prove it".

Also, any windows gurus know if there is a shortcut to transform text to/from upper case?
  • SpaceDave3000 13 Dec 2012 00:50:07 78,415 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    http://www.convertcase.net/

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Deleted user 13 December 2012 00:52:14
    WHAT A USEFUL WEBSITE
  • RobTheBuilder 13 Dec 2012 00:56:09 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    office programs can do it too (word/PowerPoint- not sure about others)
  • SpaceDave3000 13 Dec 2012 00:56:54 78,415 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    That there actually is such a thing as a Douchebag.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• localnotail 18 Dec 2012 13:44:53 23,093 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Matilda by alt-J s actually about the end of Leon.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• PazJohnMitch 18 Dec 2012 17:31:21 8,308 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A few days ago I discovered that the cards used on the Shanghai underground take the money off when you enter the system. (Unlike London).

So when you come to the end of the journey and enter the card into the ticket barrier it accepts any card of the right size and shape. Not just their Oyster card equivalents. This included my hotel keycard!!

Did not realise what I had done until I tried to open the hotel room with an underground ticket.
  • smoothpete 18 Dec 2012 17:34:41 31,560 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    At the weekend I realised that in total I have lost 3 hammers. That is an average of one hammer lost per 11 years. Surely this is a statistically unusual amount of lost hammers.

How many hammers have you lost?
  • LeoliansBro 18 Dec 2012 17:37:08 44,503 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One that I know of.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deleted user 18 December 2012 17:37:14
    Spartan?
  • EMarkM 18 Dec 2012 21:29:05 3,182 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Today I learned that I am more than usually careful with my collection of hammers.
    All three of which I stole off some guy over the last thirty or so years...
  • guts 19 Dec 2012 00:15:04 1,690 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Today I learned that although Saturday is the last working day for where I work, I have done my full quota of saturdays and so I will be having a nice lay in.

Whassamattayou, whyoulookasosad, itsanicaplace, itsanotsobad, heyshaddupayourface.

• PazJohnMitch 19 Dec 2012 13:05:02 8,308 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Uncharted 2 is based in Shanghai's aquarium not Tibet.
  • 1Dgaf 19 Dec 2012 13:09:03 3,882 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    Male Octopi
    Apparently the proper plural is octopodes.

But I just say ocotpuses.

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

www.isawthatyearsago.com - a retro film podcast

• Razz 19 Dec 2012 21:48:07 61,389 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Pinocchio Paradox

i.e. what if Pinocchio said "My nose is growing now"?_

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Pinky_Floyd 19 Dec 2012 21:55:21 8,029 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    The Pinocchio Paradox

i.e. what if Pinocchio said "My nose is growing now"?_
    That's a lie, so it would grow a bit. If he said it while it was growing it would have no effect as its not a lie.

I didn't click your link but am happy to have solved that for you.
  • Razz 20 Dec 2012 09:52:32 61,389 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    LOL! You should read the wiki link, it's very enlightening.

• RobTheBuilder 20 Dec 2012 10:22:53 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Surely the paradox is more complete if he were to say "my nose is about to grow" ?
  • skuzzbag 20 Dec 2012 11:36:08 5,651 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    When your wife says "don't try to move that heavy chest of drawers downstairs on your own" I should listen and observer her wise words.

I actually trapped myself for about 5 mins against the wall and when I managed to move it just jimmied the unit into a better more efficient trapping position.

I remember wondering if this is how people manage to kill themselves in ridiculous circumstances.
  • Razz 20 Dec 2012 12:20:04 61,389 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I put my back out 6 months ago, all because I didn't want to pay Comet 20 to take out my old washing machine and install the new one. I mean it's easy right? All you do is pull out the old one, turn off and take out the pipes and carry it to the front door. No such luck this time. :(

The washing machine had been in a fitted unit for well over a decade and the front right "foot" had become snagged on a gas pipe and the floor tiles. I spent about an hour bend over shaking the damn thing from right to left back and forth and pulling it hard trying to tip it forward, all the while not bending my knees. I finally got the fucking thing out and carried it macho man style to the front of the house for the charity shop to come collect it the next day.

The new washing machine was delivered later the same day, the delivery guys offered to put it in for free as I'd offered them a cuppa, but I was feeling macho from taking out the old one. After they left I was able to get it in the old space with minimum fuss, I'm about to turn it on to start the machine cleaning cycle when I got the nagging feeling that I forgot something. I had a quick scan of the installation instructions and I'd only forgotten to remove the bloody transit bolts!!! :D So I go to pull out the unit and it's got entangled on the blasted gas pipe! So I have another session hunched over trying to liberate it, figured out that as it wasn't as tall as the old one, I could lift it up and over the pipe. All the while not bending with my knees again. I get the bolts out, spin the drum a bit manually to make sure I got them all, then pushed the unit back into the space. I turn it on and no lights come on, apparently dead. I despair and call comet every name under the sun before realising that I don't remember plugging it in! :D So out it comes again (a lot easier this time), I check the back and there's the plug wrapped around the back of the machine along with this other wierd looking long pipe. The bloody waste water pipe! I totally forgot about that too! :D I sort that out, put the cunting thing back in. SUCCESS! I stick on the celaning cycle then pop upstairs to play some games.

An hour later there's a loud wooden creak and an almighty racket coming from the kitchen, I run downstairs opened the kitchen to a scene worthy of a horror film. The washing machine had cracked the side board and liberated itself from the fitting during the spin cycle and was sliding across the floor, the waste water pipe had been pulled out and was violently flinging about spewing black shitty water all over the kitchen, I run to the transformer and turned off the main power as I wasn't touching the power socket! That is when I called my uncle (a plumber) to come over and sort out the situation. He told me I'd forgotten to adjust the feet to stop the machine from rocking and forth during spin. Cost me 50 to have him sort it out, then another 300 to get the sideboard repaired. The next day my back went into spasm and hips ceased up, I was in agony for about a month before I sought professional help. 800 on Physiotherapy and Chiropractors and 6 months later I'm almost back to full working order.

All because I didn't spend fucking 20 on installation.

• guts 20 Dec 2012 12:34:32 1,690 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tight bastard.

Whassamattayou, whyoulookasosad, itsanicaplace, itsanotsobad, heyshaddupayourface.

• Razz 20 Dec 2012 12:39:20 61,389 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The washing machine cost almost 400! Wasn't prepared to spend an additional 20 on something I was confident I could do on my own.

Edited by Razz at 13:24:35 20-12-2012

• Deckard1 20 Dec 2012 12:42:07 28,680 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Betty must have been really cross.
  • skuzzbag 20 Dec 2012 13:19:58 5,651 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Brilliant!

I usually try to save a few pounds and ending up spending hundreds. I fit my own kitchen once. Quote to completely rip out, remove plaster and refit new kitchen was 1200 for about 4 days work.

I took 6 months beginning to end and spent about 1600 :)
  • Razz 7 Jan 2013 18:02:31 61,389 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Saw this on Reddit:
    After the end of Esatenders there's a power surge demand of 3 Gigawatts in 5 minutes as 1.5m Kettles are put on - so much France sends 600Megawatts of power

http://www.bbc.co.uk/britainfromabove/stories/people/teatimebritain.shtml

• mal 7 Jan 2013 18:10:57 22,682 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I guess that shows how the BBC is winning. Last time I heard that nugget it was to do with the ad break in the middle of Corrie.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• quadfather 7 Jan 2013 18:17:45 12,859 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Razz - that really is a cool story bro :)

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Kostabi 7 Jan 2013 19:19:04 4,975 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What a 'ruby shower' was.
  • Psychotext 7 Jan 2013 19:30:27 54,391 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    The washing machine cost almost 400! Wasn't prepared to spend an additional 20 on something I was confident I could do on my own.
    I used to think a lot like that but I must admit that these days I'll happily spend 20 to avoid some hassle.
  • Page

of 18 First / Last