ZX Spectrum: lets talk about some actual RETRO gaming. Page 23

• Page

of 24 First / Last

• Deleted user 4 April 2013 12:31:42
    I've seen the Fairlight ending recently on YT. A black screen with text was pretty much standard those days, wasn't it?

Another reason why I love Dan Dare, it had a proper ending:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hdMNochceeY#t=474s
  • EMarkM 4 Apr 2013 12:39:26 3,173 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, was it Atic Atac that just finished with:-

Game Over
    78%
  • dominalien 4 Apr 2013 13:08:33 6,839 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, I made myself a nice RGB cable for my +2, even though I don't really have anything to connect it to. The RF connection is really not good enough.

I have an old-fashioned CRT TV with RGB input, but I'll only be able to get to it in a month or so. The waiting is killing me.

PSN: DonOsito

• Deleted user 6 April 2013 13:54:35
    Was bored last night so I did a Fairlight speedrun, finished dubbing the music this morning so here it is. I doubt it can be done faster, maybe a minute with some parkour and object stacking skills. Lovely game:

http://youtu.be/IwHv-9l0CXM
  • Blerk Moderator 23 Apr 2013 10:42:38 48,225 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Happy birthday, ZX Spectrum! 31 years young today. :)
  • dominalien 23 Apr 2013 12:05:08 6,839 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That is definitely reason to celebrate. :-) I'll give mine a hug and a kiss when I get back home tonight. Maybe I'll even load up a game or two.

• mrpon 23 Apr 2013 12:23:54 28,474 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Spectaculator (iOS app) has been updated today with an additional 26 games, 8 of which are free to existing users:

Auf Wiedersehen Monty
    Avenger
    Bounder
    Jack The Nipper
    Krackout
    Metabolis
    Monty On The Run
    The Way Of The Tiger

Also "Mimic TV Screen" to simulate a 1980s TV screen!

:)

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• DaM 23 Apr 2013 18:34:34 12,901 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    valli wrote:
    Was bored last night so I did a Fairlight speedrun, finished dubbing the music this morning so here it is. I doubt it can be done faster, maybe a minute with some parkour and object stacking skills. Lovely game:

http://youtu.be/IwHv-9l0CXM
    Well done, I'm impressed! Looks easy now :)
  • dominalien 15 May 2013 08:46:28 6,839 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I got this a couple of days ago, but only had a moment to try it out today.

It is glorious.

And I'm not talking about the piglet.

This was by far my favourite game from back then, even though I had absolutely no idea what was going on, me being too young and not having any instructions. But the wizard and the elves and the cool forest did their job well and I've been stuck in the same type of game ever since.

I believe I somehow found my way to the dungeon below the first foresty area, but that's about it. I was unable to control the character properly, I was getting slaughtered by the sprites, I found the forest huge and confusing and I had no idea what to do beyond the first few steps. It's funny how now the controls are floaty but usable, getting rid of sprites is laughably easy, the forest is really just a few screens and the stuff to do is patently obvious.

I am definitely having more fun with it than my 11 year old ever did. :-)

Edited by dominalien at 08:52:57 15-05-2013

• twelveways 15 May 2013 09:24:11 3,854 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I remember being obsessed with a game called Spike which was similar to Manic Miner.

I also liked a game called Ghost Hunters which had horrible digitised speech and a two player co-op mode where one person moved and the other one aimed and fired.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 15 May 2013 09:26:42 37,368 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You should all join the Retro Game O' The Week group.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Blerk Moderator 15 May 2013 09:39:47 48,225 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Avalon and Dragontorc were games I always wanted to love but could never get into. I just seemed to get done over almost immediately.

Steve Turner (who programmed them) turned up on the World of Spectrum forums a couple of weeks back and answered a bunch of questions about his games, which was brilliant!

And Mark R Jones (who did loads of the graphics for Ocean's Spectrum games back in the day) recently created loading screens for both Avalon and Dragontorc seeing as the originals didn't have them. They're rather cool.

I ought to give them both another try. Hmm.
  • Bremenacht 15 May 2013 13:01:14 17,613 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I thought they were brilliant. Loved them. You've got the map too! I'm sure there was a crap anti-piracy card with it too. I loaned it out to mates at school (for copying, arr) and never got it back. :(
  • dominalien 15 May 2013 13:42:16 6,839 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I do have the code card! You can see it in the photo between the zxs and the... other computer. I'll need to try and scan it; I don't want to wreck it by taking it out every time I run the game. It's all in very good condition, clearly very little used and I intend to keep it that way.

I find the game right up my street, as I was almost certain to. Stuck already in the first area, but very determined to persevere. I'm having a blast saving my progress to tape. Managed to find a never used sealed Maxell tape in the attic that must be more close to 20 years old; so far it works perfectly.

• Blerk Moderator 15 May 2013 14:02:39 48,225 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Scan of the code sheet is already available from WOS if you can't be arsed doing it yourself. :)
  • quadfather 15 May 2013 14:08:57 11,861 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @dominalien - That's a cracking game. I fell in love with it too. The best part of it compared to avalon, was the simple fact that in dragontorc, when you were scanning through inventory options, if a monster came too close you could just move the joystick left or right to get away, whereas in avalon you had to select "Move" from the menu before it'd let you do it.

The dungeon underneath the forest is the vaults of locris I believe.

You've got a cracking copy there too. Envious!

I got quite far with it and persevered - once you get travelling on the leylines around britain, it opens up and you realise how massive it is?

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Bremenacht 15 May 2013 14:32:54 17,613 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    I'm having a blast saving my progress to tape.
    !!!
  • dominalien 15 May 2013 17:00:16 6,839 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Scan of the code sheet is already available from WOS if you can't be arsed doing it yourself. :)
    I know. But I want to scan the one that is MINE!

I'm still giddy, catching up on all the great games I sort-of appreciated back in the day but wasn't able to actually play. Originals this time around, too.

• dominalien 15 May 2013 17:02:14 6,839 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    dominalien wrote:
    I'm having a blast saving my progress to tape.
    !!!
    I know, right? It's insane.

BTW, the length of time games take to load from tape on the ZXS is grossly overstated by people these days. It takes a while, but it's barely enough to make a cup of tea. Now on Atari 600XL, THAT was slow.

That's a cracking game. I fell in love with it too. The best part of it compared to avalon, was the simple fact that in dragontorc, when you were scanning through inventory options, if a monster came too close you could just move the joystick left or right to get away, whereas in avalon you had to select "Move" from the menu before it'd let you do it.

The dungeon underneath the forest is the vaults of locris I believe.
    Yes, they even boast about that in the manual. I can see this being a significant improvement over Avalon; it's a good way to exit the scroll and start moving. The controls are somewhat cumbersome, but they do have their rhythm and flow and I don't think they're getting in the way of my enjoyment.

The first dungeon is vaults of Locris. It's fantastic. I managed to get to the exit... but that's about it. No idea what to do next. It'll come to me in time, I'm sure.

I'll be home too late tonight to play any, tomorrow's no go either, maybe I'll find some time during the weekend. Drat.

Edited by dominalien at 19:32:06 15-05-2013

• quadfather 16 May 2013 10:13:34 11,861 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, I'm sure you'll just get used to the speed of movement etc.

You need a certain object from the vaults, and then when you get out, that unlocks something and I think you end up at a kind of stonehenge, where something is different and then you can 'fast travel' along the leylines (stay on target!) to different locations

That has to be the most vague description I've ever posted :)

omg, I want to play it now

• dominalien 16 May 2013 10:27:17 6,839 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I figured out what to do this morning, it turns out I was using the leyrod wrong. Really overwhelmed right now. Lots of monsters everywhere and no apparent way to get rid of them. Just had a couple of minutes and had to go to work.

• Blerk Moderator 16 May 2013 12:02:56 48,225 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was watching a walkthrough of Avalon the other day (yes, really - don't ask) and the guy playing that was getting rid of the baddies by leaving them two rooms behind. i.e. they'll follow from one room to the next, but if you can run out of room 1, through room 2 and into room 3 before the baddie follows you from 1 to 2 then they stay in room 1 and give up the chase.
  • dominalien 16 May 2013 12:19:44 6,839 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I've noticed leaving them behind 2 rooms does the trick. Not as easy as it sounds, though. :-)

• Blerk Moderator 16 May 2013 12:24:14 48,225 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Quite!
  • quadfather 16 May 2013 12:35:41 11,861 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What monsters are in the forest again? Is it archers and sort of wisp-type things?

I'm going to have to youtube it again I think

• dominalien 16 May 2013 12:56:25 6,839 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There are wisps and elves with bows, but those are harmless. Then there's skeletons below.

Different monsters in other forests I've been to. And missile doesn't work on them.

• quadfather 16 May 2013 13:06:06 11,861 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just watched about 10-15 mins of it on youtube. Completely forgot about the Servant! 80's equivalent of a mouse!

Some of the objects and the way you have to get them - great stuff

Awesome, just awesome game

• Bremenacht 16 May 2013 18:28:38 17,613 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Don't you get a fireball as well?

Really tempted to try playing it again. Ought to give the current GOTW a go first though. I'd not heard of it.
  • dominalien 3 Jun 2013 20:49:15 6,839 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RGB cable success! \o/

Managed to get hold of my old CRT which has an RGB input and the cable I made works very well. The image is really beautiful. Especially the blues, which were horribly blurry on the RF cable and TV tuner are all sharp and bluey.

Only thing is, I don't really have a place for the TV, so I can't see myself using it much. I'm now looking at an RGB-Component converter so I can connect it to more modern stuff (apparently they work very well). Either that, or maybe I'll pull composite out as a soldering exercise. Not as high quality, but I loathe getting a yet another device I'll probably use three times in as many years.

• dominalien 3 Jun 2013 20:50:36 6,839 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Don't you get a fireball as well?

Really tempted to try playing it again. Ought to give the current GOTW a go first though. I'd not heard of it.
    I didn't get fireball, but then I hardly played since my initial successes a few weeks back. I'll need to get back into it, once I've sorted my connection problems.

• Page

of 24 First / Last