ZX Spectrum: lets talk about some actual RETRO gaming. Page 2

• Page

of 24 First / Last

• lucky_jim 22 Sep 2010 12:33:12 5,285 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I was given a 48k Speccy with quite a few games, so I couldn't say which was the actual first one I played. The ones I have the clearest recollection of playing very early on are 3D Ant Attack and Kokotoni Wilf on the Soft Aid compilation. Although looking at the list of games on that tape, Spellbound was probably the first I played, as I'm pretty sure I loaded that tape first and it's the first game on it.

I did play a few games when I was very small on the BBC my mum had before my parents lost almost everything in the early 80s recession, but I barely remember those and care even less: the Speccy was my first proper gaming home.
  • quadfather 22 Sep 2010 13:48:50 11,992 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    meme wrote:
    My first game was either Gift From The Gods (which was fucking shit in hindsight) or the demo of Army Moves (which was also fucking shit and ridiculously hard). After those two I moved onto Konami Hypersports and worked up wrist muscles that could fell trees.

spat tea out laughing at this :-)

First game I think was Espionage Island and, let's be fair, was fucking impossible to live more than a minute

you start in a plane that's about to crash. If you don't get the first command right, you're dead. Along with the 2nd and 3rd command too.

After an hour of crashing a plane 502 times, you finally get to the ground

Then I got shot.

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Blerk Moderator 22 Sep 2010 13:53:44 48,225 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm pretty sure the first Speccy game I ever played was either Gulpman or Chequered Flag.

That was on a friend's Speccy, though. I'm pretty sure my first game on my own Spectrum was the mighty Gobble A Ghost, a name you could never get away with in this day and age. :-D

Luckily I had Jetpac as well. ;-)
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 22 Sep 2010 14:01:12 37,886 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think the first game I played ever was Monty On The Run on the Speccy. That or a demo of Bubble Bobble. I remember my dad telling me I wasn't old enough to use it before relenting at a later date and letting me play Monty.

It was all downhill from there. I don't think my interest in video games has ever waned.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Deleted user 22 September 2010 14:03:26
    Mine were Scuba Dive or Manic Miner, can't remember which...
  • Nexus_6 22 Sep 2010 14:06:33 3,876 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Chuckie Egg 2 would have been one of my first games. Took me years, until playing it recently on emulator, to figure out that the sign post on the first screen poked through the ground, and that's what the triangle of death on the screen below was.

Also, it really nailed a feeling of dread, or apprehension in the opening screens with it's flat use of colour, big screens and small main sprite. Loved it.
  • Drpwnage 22 Sep 2010 14:26:19 687 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was given my Gran's ZX Speccy 48K as she upgraded to a 128K +2 to play Scrabble., having eagerly gobbled up Horace Goes Skiing, and before I started reading Speccy Mags, I promptly spent 3 quid of my hard-saved pocket money on SAS Operation Thunderflash.

How could an 8 year old me not be won over by this game cover?

Explosions! Guns! SAS!

Forget Demon's Souls that was bastard hard, I don't remember getting past the third room.

• Popzeus 22 Sep 2010 14:33:20 8,300 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yay for Speccies. The first game I clearly remember going into town with my dad to buy was Hungry Horace. Sitting in the back of the car looking at the box and getting all giddy and excited, couldn't wait to play it.

It was a pretty rubbish Pac Man clone, but still great.

Also I had a big row with my dad in a shop because he wanted to buy Match Day but I wasn't interested in football back then so I wanted something else and threw a strop. (That one might have been for the BBC Model B, thinking about it)

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• Blerk Moderator 22 Sep 2010 14:48:57 48,225 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Does everyone realise that there are still new Spectrum games coming out, btw? There have been some frankly awesome titles in the last few years. This search, for instance, will get you all the games released since 2005 that have scored more than 7/10 on the WOS database.

Some of my faves:
    Egghead 4 (awesome music!)
    Farmer Jack
    Sgt Helmet Zero (totally brilliant game, this)
    Subacuatic
    Uwol

So much great stuff coming out these days. Much of it frankly stomping all over most of the commercial releases of old.

Edit: Speccy games are practically all I ever play on the DS. :-D
  • jonsaan 22 Sep 2010 14:53:40 25,342 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JetSetWilly wrote:
    I don't think I ever got past those trees on the second level.

To this day that remains a favourite. It's not easy without the rubber keys though. I loved it because it loaded so quickly!

FCUTA!

• jonsaan 22 Sep 2010 14:54:35 25,342 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    valli wrote:
    Yay, I get to pimp my homage to my favourite 8 bit game ever, Dan Dare:

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_posts.php?thread_id=16108

I still play it every now and then on an emulator and I intend to break my speedrun record of 11min24s at some point. 10:45 is deffo doable.

I have that right here under the desk in my speccy box. Which strangely now lives at work with me.

FCUTA!

• Dirtbox 22 Sep 2010 14:54:38 77,746 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I knew there was still a die hard demo scene, but I didn't know there were full game releases.

I'll have to check this out.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• jonsaan 22 Sep 2010 14:56:47 25,342 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Does everyone realise that there are still new Spectrum games coming out, btw? There have been some frankly awesome titles in the last few years. This search, for instance, will get you all the games released since 2005 that have scored more than 7/10 on the WOS database.

Some of my faves:
    Egghead 4 (awesome music!)
    Farmer Jack
    Sgt Helmet Zero (totally brilliant game, this)
    Subacuatic
    Uwol

So much great stuff coming out these days. Much of it frankly stomping all over most of the commercial releases of old.

Edit: Speccy games are practically all I ever play on the DS. :-D

Blerk, can you fill me in on the best way to play Speccy on my DS. I have a flash cart that I play Lost levels on but whenever I've tried to get speccy working I've had issues.

FCUTA!

• Blerk Moderator 22 Sep 2010 14:59:39 48,225 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The only way to play Speccy on your DS is with ZXDS. It's brill, and dead easy to set up. Extract it into a folder on your flash cart, copy across some snapshots or TAP files - done.
  • Blerk Moderator 22 Sep 2010 15:05:24 48,225 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I knew there was still a die hard demo scene, but I didn't know there were full game releases.

I'll have to check this out.
    It's getting more active every year. Limbo fans should take a look at Zombie Calavera Prologue for amazing Speccy-level silhouette graphics! :-)
  • mrpon 22 Sep 2010 15:08:24 28,781 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    o_O wow!!

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Blerk Moderator 22 Sep 2010 15:13:54 48,225 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I keep meaning to make a general purpose 'look at all these fucking awesome new games on the Spectrum' thread. I need to finish up a decent recap of the best of the post-YS years first, though.
  • jonsaan 22 Sep 2010 15:16:13 25,342 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    The only way to play Speccy on your DS is with ZXDS. It's brill, and dead easy to set up. Extract it into a folder on your flash cart, copy across some snapshots or TAP files - done.

Sweet ta! I think I have it already I may have been using the wrong file type.

FCUTA!

• Deleted user 22 September 2010 15:30:52
    Blerk, that Zombie Calavera games looks awesome. You've just made me install Fuse PSP on my PSP, awesome company on the way home tonight!!

http://psp.akop.org/fuse
  • Dirtbox 22 Sep 2010 15:32:59 77,746 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I just completed Subacuatic.

• Dirtbox 22 Sep 2010 15:36:57 77,746 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Mojon Twins have been pretty busy.

• Dirtbox 22 Sep 2010 15:40:05 77,746 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wolfenstein?!

• Blerk Moderator 22 Sep 2010 15:43:07 48,225 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    The Mojon Twins have been pretty busy.
    They're quite prolific and very, very capable with the hardware. Most of their releases this year have been a bit samey though, they're all done as examples of what can be done with a new platforming engine that they're trying to get done and released.
  • jonsaan 24 Sep 2010 23:00:51 25,342 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TYUB. I have played nothing but speccy games since installing ZXDS on my flash card. So utterly awesome it hurts. A shame I can't find the Ultimate games but I'm sure I will at some point.

FCUTA!

• Dirtbox 24 Sep 2010 23:12:12 77,746 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've got a few Ultimate games, hold on, I'll PM you.

• mrpon 24 Sep 2010 23:43:59 28,781 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ditto jonsaan if dirt doesn't come up trumps.

• Dirtbox 24 Sep 2010 23:49:31 77,746 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've only got Jetpac, Saberwulf, AticAtac, Underwurlde and Knightlore.

Means I'm missing Nightshade, Lunar Jetman, Alien 8 etc etc.

• mrpon 24 Sep 2010 23:51:15 28,781 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'll check in the morning jonnyboy.

• Dirtbox 24 Sep 2010 23:53:16 77,746 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Word.

• Deleted user 25 September 2010 14:12:00
    Had issues finding Star Raiders II but I got it eventually. Another game I'd be happy to do a speedrun of, should I have a few hours over.
  • Page

of 24 First / Last