ZX Spectrum: lets talk about some actual RETRO gaming.

• Page

of 24 First / Last

Previous
  • hyuhek 21 Sep 2010 23:51:32 7 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm not old enough to remember the ZX Spectrum in its prime - however - that said, when everyone else was playing with their playstations and NES/SNESs I was playing with our families VERY old and fully functional ZX Spectrum.

Putting the entire thing together was itself an accomplishment - being of an age where hooking things to televisions was the prerogative of my elder sibling, I often sat and watched as the device was attached to my tape machine from my bedroom and our old CRT.

And then the games! Oh what games they were - fighting giant spiders in The Hobbit for one! Glad to see how far games have come since then.

BUT this is an oppertunaty for you to voice your memories about the great gaming device. Because, at the end of the day, the ZX spectrum represents one fundamental truth about gaming...that games back then really were so much better than Halo Reach.
  • Chopsen 22 Sep 2010 00:02:44 15,714 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, yeah. C64 was better.
  • Retroid Moderator 22 Sep 2010 00:32:01 44,503 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    /Cough
  • lucky_jim 22 Sep 2010 00:34:49 5,255 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Spectrum was brilliant. I especially loved the way you could get dozens of games by buying Your Sinclair, Crash and Sinclair User each month.
  • caligari 22 Sep 2010 00:41:00 16,989 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    The Spectrum was brilliant. I especially loved the way you could get dozens of games by buying Your Sinclair, Crash and Sinclair User each month.

Very true.

One of my fondest memories is waking up in a hospital bed after a little operation (no - it wasn't that - OR THAT) - to find that my parents had bought me two new Ghostbusters' figures, and the new issue of Your Sinclair (I'm pretty sure it had a big picture of Arnie on the front cover).

edit: ah - issue 69!

I was also very cheesed with a faulty demo tape that wouldn't allow me to play a great looking 'Drive Your Own Steam Engine' game (oh - apparently it was called Southern Belle) - could somebody tell me if it was any good?).
  • mrpon 22 Sep 2010 00:43:41 28,430 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Retroid wrote:
    /Cough

Has someone sneezed on my monitor?

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Retroid Moderator 22 Sep 2010 00:44:31 44,503 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Retroid wrote:
    /Cough

Has someone sneezed on my monitor?
    WITH AWESOMENESS
  • lucky_jim 22 Sep 2010 00:52:16 5,255 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Cali- Southern Belle really wasn't very good. I suppose it might have been to someone who was really into trains, but to my 12-year-old self it was dull and a bit baffling, at least with the limited instructions the mag offered (remember, you couldn't go and look stuff up on t'internet back then!). You didn't miss much.
  • Dirtbox 22 Sep 2010 00:53:52 77,467 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm still waiting for a space-em-up to top Elite without it being too complicated or naff.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• mrpon 22 Sep 2010 00:54:20 28,430 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The bumper Crash Christmas editions always bring a reminiscing tear to my eye.

;_;

• lucky_jim 22 Sep 2010 00:59:51 5,255 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mrpon wrote:

;_;

This one is probably still my single favourite games magazine of all time. It had reviews of Afterburner, Laser Squad, Last Ninja 2, Operation Wolf, Robocop, R-Type and Thunder Blade among others.
  • Dirtbox 22 Sep 2010 01:01:06 77,467 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I used to think the Macclesfield Mapper was a pretty cool guy. Looking back it was just a little too autistic for words.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• MrTomFTW Moderator 22 Sep 2010 07:42:16 37,328 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    @Cali- Southern Belle really wasn't very good. I suppose it might have been to someone who was really into trains, but to my 12-year-old self it was dull and a bit baffling, at least with the limited instructions the mag offered (remember, you couldn't go and look stuff up on t'internet back then!). You didn't miss much.

But you can play it here if you're still interested :-)

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Blerk Moderator 22 Sep 2010 08:57:21 48,225 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I still have all my old Speccy mags in the loft. I also have all of them as PDFs on a DVD, but you can't beat going and sitting in the roof of the house and thumbing through the 25-year-old originals. Sometimes I find a piece of sandwich or a crisp tucked within the pages! I don't eat them, though. Usually.
  • mrpon 22 Sep 2010 09:26:35 28,430 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    mrpon wrote:

;_;

This one is probably still my single favourite games magazine of all time. It had reviews of Afterburner, Laser Squad, Last Ninja 2, Operation Wolf, Robocop, R-Type and Thunder Blade among others.
    Great stuff. What a logo! I mean okay, the art style is rather reminiscent of a doodle on the back of your schoolbooks but still. Oli Frey - he da man! Which reminds me, any fans need to buy his book.

• dominalien 22 Sep 2010 09:35:47 6,835 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:

Crash gave it 84%. Better than Halo? :-D

PSN: DonOsito

• JetSetWilly 22 Sep 2010 09:43:38 5,721 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    C - Nonsense in BASIC

/corrects mistake

B - Integer out of range

Balls to it.

/loads Jetpac
  • gallow 22 Sep 2010 10:24:11 480 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    I still have all my old Speccy mags in the loft. I also have all of them as PDFs on a DVD, but you can't beat going and sitting in the roof of the house and thumbing through the 25-year-old originals. Sometimes I find a piece of sandwich or a crisp tucked within the pages! I don't eat them, though. Usually.

I used to get Your Sinclair (one of the best mags ever), SU and Crash but I binned them years ago but I still have the final issue of YS. Now that PC Zone has closed the final line (well to me) back to the days of the irrelevant and chaotic humour of YS has now ended.

Ah the glory days of heading into the local Esso garage to ponder which budget game to waste my money on that week or getting a C90 tape full of mystery games to investigate and play over the summer holidays.

/Joads Laser Squad.
  • Blerk Moderator 22 Sep 2010 10:25:21 48,225 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ah, the C90 mystery tape! You just don't get that joy any more. :-D
  • Fozzie_bear 22 Sep 2010 10:28:05 15,486 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My first ever computer game!

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• Deleted user 22 September 2010 10:29:28
    My first game was either Gift From The Gods (which was fucking shit in hindsight) or the demo of Army Moves (which was also fucking shit and ridiculously hard). After those two I moved onto Konami Hypersports and worked up wrist muscles that could fell trees.
  • Blerk Moderator 22 Sep 2010 10:38:50 48,225 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Jungle Trouble was fucking nails!
  • JetSetWilly 22 Sep 2010 10:39:50 5,721 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't think I ever got past those trees on the second level.
  • gallow 22 Sep 2010 10:47:31 480 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The first game I played after going through the Horizon educational stuff that came with the 48K rubber key was Horace goes Skiing.
  • mrpon 22 Sep 2010 10:52:43 28,430 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LOAD "wall"

• Retroid Moderator 22 Sep 2010 11:58:28 44,503 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Getting a game to play with my mate and, if it used the sprites-in-the-border trick* to display the score, dumping those sprites out to disk, editing them to our names, importing them back in and saving out my personalised version. Usually for him to not notice / care, the twat.

*TAKE THAT, SPECTRUM OWNERS
  • Nexus_6 22 Sep 2010 12:06:41 3,872 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Retroid wrote:
    /Cough

AHHHH NOW I get your nickname!

I thought you were some sort of pile cream at first.
  • Bremenacht 22 Sep 2010 12:27:52 17,601 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Adventure A (Planet of Death) for me.
  • Deleted user 22 September 2010 12:30:42
    Yay, I get to pimp my homage to my favourite 8 bit game ever, Dan Dare:

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_posts.php?thread_id=16108

I still play it every now and then on an emulator and I intend to break my speedrun record of 11min24s at some point. 10:45 is deffo doable.

• Page

of 24 First / Last

Previous