Fuji X100 will be my next camera. Page 4

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• mal 26 Feb 2011 23:36:51 22,792 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What are they saying? For some reason I can never get dpreview forums to load properly.

The sample images look fine to me. I'm surprised that it seems like they were taken in London, from their old offices, rather than their new US ones, and mostly look to be taken in the middle of the day. Lens looks fine in terms of sharpness and distortion to me, and the sensor looks okay at ISO800 and still just about usable at 3200, but nothing's jumping out at me as incredible. I'm still looking forward to the review.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 27 February 2011 11:05:53
    It's mostly people starting threads to bash it from judging some detail in some photo and the like. Lots of "deal breaker" threads basically which becomes bizarre given nobody but a few selected pros (see that flickr page I posted above) and the likes of dpreview journalists have had access hands on to it. Then you have the rabid X100 defenders, the ones typing worrying phrases like "NGHHH all over my face" whenever a good image is posted. :)

I'm also impressed with the shots and I'm starting to respect Fujis honesty about this camera:

1. The straight, neutral looking images mean you can tweak them as you want (rather than the camera doing it for you).
    2. Non-final firmware cameras being sent out to experts/press.
    3. ISO200 being the lowest native sensitivity, with some electronic way to make it down to ISO100 - I imagine most other brands would have called it ISO100 "since you can dial it".

Again, I'll wait for the competitors but it truly is a big step forward that everyone will follow within 1-2 years. Would love to have one, that's for sure!
  • Deleted user 27 February 2011 20:43:18
    Been following this camera for a while, and it looks like a real gem to me. But you're right, I've had to stop looking at the dpreview forums: 'tis a veritable cock fight of self-proclaimed professionals, polarised around this (effectively) non-existent camera.

Smallish, light, looks good, high iso, 35mm lens, quiet shutter - all good with me. Don't expect it will compete with high-end DSLRs. Maybe that's the problem with the dpreview forum, ever stretching expectations?

I have it pre-ordered but there are whispers of limited shipments to the UK.
  • mal 28 Feb 2011 08:41:50 22,792 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    valli wrote:
    3. ISO200 being the lowest native sensitivity, with some electronic way to make it down to ISO100 - I imagine most other brands would have called it ISO100 "since you can dial it".
    I doubt that. The Sony sensors Nikon have traditionally used only go down to ISO200, and while they've added 'some electronic way to make it down to ISO100' they've called it LO1 when they have used it. I'm not sure what others have done, but it's not just Fuji doing this. I think it's fair since these extended modes don't give you the real benefit of their simulated ISO in terms of noise IMO, but the difference between 100 and 200 on a modern sensor is slight anyway.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Tonka 9 Mar 2011 21:20:55 21,165 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fuck. I was hoping this would be out by the time I went to the States. Looks like that wont happen...;_;

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• beachedvinyl 23 Mar 2011 14:27:12 303 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    so, just popped into Camera World, Wells St, London W1 and they've only got one on the counter. Dude said it was a retail version, but they weren't allowed to sell it yet.
    He was happy for me to have a 10 min play while he served someone. In short, its flipping lovely and if I had that sort of cash, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one in a second. Exactly the sort of camera I would love to own.
  • Nth 23 Mar 2011 16:24:48 3,124 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Reviews seem positive so far with a few minor control niggles. The digitalrev video review shows the viewfinder off well. Just not my focal length though.
  • Nth 3 Apr 2011 21:53:54 3,124 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/fujifilm_x100_test_report.shtml
  • henro_ben 3 Apr 2011 22:26:04 2,232 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nth wrote:
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/fujifilm_x100_test_report.shtml

Does sound good, I do like the fact it's got a proper manual aperture ring on it as well.

Too pricey for my wallet though, besides which I've already splashed out on the gf1 instead ;-)
  • Nth 3 Apr 2011 22:50:28 3,124 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Wait for version 3 I say, then buy version 2 on ebay :D
  • henro_ben 3 Apr 2011 22:57:28 2,232 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wise plan. They're going for crazy money on ebay at the moment - $2500 is the highest I've seen so far!
  • otto Moderator 3 Apr 2011 23:37:01 49,339 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Think I'll flog one of my Summicrons and get this. Though it will probably make my M8 redundant! Does look absolutely 100% up my street.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Lukus 3 Apr 2011 23:39:04 19,361 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I really want this camera. Unfortunately I want 900 more.

Paintings & Photographs

• Deleted user 4 April 2011 06:27:57
    What sort of Summicron gold mine do you sit on there otto? :)

The crazy prices are most likely because of shortages but according to Fuji they have resumed normal production.

I want it too, but according to rumours both Sony and Nikon will present their equivalents (Sony with a "pro" version of their NEX series) today or this week.
  • Nth 10 Apr 2011 20:16:03 3,124 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's not perfect by a long shot...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/fuji_x100_follow_up.shtml
  • Deleted user 12 April 2011 10:40:15
    It's still a desirable little camera! Most of those teething problems mentioned could be fixed in firmware although they have a point about Fujifilm needing to involve more usability experts working together with the engineers.

I had no idea about the moiree pattern AA filter being off on this camera, no wonder some shots looked so damn sharp. Now, can future cameras have that option in software please? That would give the manufacturer a reason to brag with their oddly named on-board processors.

Real time AA with lots of oversampling and masking options would give the next EXSPEEDGUTZ mk19 Type R processor a run for its money.
  • Lukus 15 Apr 2011 19:07:46 19,361 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    valli wrote:

I want it too, but according to rumours both Sony and Nikon will present their equivalents (Sony with a "pro" version of their NEX series) today or this week.

Any more on this? I've not been paying attention to developments in photography for years now.

Paintings & Photographs

• Deleted user 16 April 2011 11:09:41
    Not a word, seems the tsunami has ruined most release plans over there...
  • Deleted user 23 April 2011 07:53:02
    NEX-7 (with a hefty 1300 USD price tag) to be announced in July:
    http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-nex-7-a77-and-lens-rumors-summary/

Nikon are supposed to announce something on the 27th this month, could be anything from the new mirrorless to just a new lens update.
  • Nth 23 Apr 2011 08:13:22 3,124 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    1300??? Hopefully in a year or two this new Market segment will reach a more reasonable price point. Quite tempted to chop my S90 in for a GF1 with 20mm pancake at the moment.
  • Deleted user 23 April 2011 16:36:49
    I suppose the price is okay if they go for the Pro market (lots of manual settings, rugged body, high quality prime).
  • Lukus 23 Apr 2011 16:58:47 19,361 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    valli wrote:
    Not a word, seems the tsunami has ruined most release plans over there...

:S :(

Paintings & Photographs

• otto Moderator 1 Jun 2011 00:18:41 49,339 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So I bought one. I like it. The reviews all seem accurate: great picture quality, nightmarish menus. It will take a bit of getting used to. The noise performance seems truly excellent compared to what I've been used to. AF speed, responsiveness not what you'd get in a DSLR, even several years ago. I traded in a lens to pay for it, so now I find myself with two practically identical systems: a proper Leica with 35mm equivalent prime, and a wannabe Leica with a 35 equiv prime; hmm. But the Fuji will be great for extra portability & for taking pics of the kids on the fly (it's nice to have AF again).

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• otto Moderator 1 Jun 2011 21:20:26 49,339 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Took it to the park this evening with the kids to take some shots of them in action, that being my main reason for getting it. Oh dear. While there are definitely shots that are great and which I couldn't have got with my manual focus Leica, the performance is nowhere near DSLR standard. Shocking shutter lag, really shocking. Cheap compact shocking. Compose, hit shutter release, wait, child moves, photo is taken, shot is ruined. I may be returning it.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Deleted user 3 June 2011 13:52:53
    Fork, I just got here to comment on the quality of that b&w shot above... I've heard similar stories, plus the menus and firmware seem buggy and feature driven rather than focused on usability.

Shutter lag? The bloody thing has a simple prehistoric diaphragm shutter, no mirror to get out of the way, not even a "modern" (1950s) curtain FFS. There's no excuse for that, especially with a fixed lens. It's most likely the firmware causing it for some reason or another.

How's ISO performance, considering you were outdoors evening time? Ace I hope?
  • otto Moderator 4 Jun 2011 21:06:03 49,339 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    iso performance is truly excellent compared to my other cameras. Still really unhappy about the lag though. I can just about live with the crappy menus, but that lag... I might as well just use my iPhone's camera... :(

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Nth 4 Jun 2011 22:50:31 3,124 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Should have bought a cheap Pen like me otto, it's a stunning little thing.

Return the Fuji and wait for v2, I reckon that will be awesome.
  • TheRealBadabing 4 Jun 2011 23:24:11 1,347 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Loving my pen too but the AF/shutter lag takes a bit of getting used to after the 350D. Have to line up shots just that fraction more carefully than the spray and pray mini-gun approach of even that old dslr. Probably just the facial recognition getting confused about how much my daughter's ankle looks like a human head. Apparently.

Still getting some lovely pictures though and am finding it hard to lightroom the RAWs any better than how the jpegs look straight off the card.
  • secombe 12 Jun 2011 10:30:31 1,332 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Had a good look at the X100 as my plan was to keep my Nikon D90 and 70-200 2.8 VR set-up etc for motorsport, and move everything else to the smallest package I could find (as 90% of my non-motorsport photography is travel based)

Sold my lenses (Nikon 12-24 f4 amongst them) and in the end just couldn't justify the X100. Bought an Olympus PEN E-PL2 instead, for the 1k I had aside for the X100 I've ended up with the 14-42mm kit lens (which is surprisingly brilliant), the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 Pancake and still have 300 left over (I'm thinking the EVF attachment might be a good investment)

Love the X100 for what it is, but it's tough to justify. Maybe a lottery win will see one added to my collection...
  • brokenkey 12 Jun 2011 10:55:47 7,117 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    otto wrote:
    iso performance is truly excellent compared to my other cameras. Still really unhappy about the lag though. I can just about live with the crappy menus, but that lag... I might as well just use my iPhone's camera... :(

So did you return it or hang on to it in the hope the firmware upgrade will improve things?

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• Page

of 8 First / Last