Fuji X100 will be my next camera. Page 8

• Page

of 8 First / Last

Next
  • UncleLou Moderator 7 Jan 2013 09:56:41 35,491 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Will it take if you do that? Do you have to put it on AF-C or something?
    No, AF-S is fine. If you press the shutter firmly in one go, it will always fire - and more often than not, it will have focused correctly. I thought people were bullshitting when I read that in several places, but miracolously, it does work.
  • kalel 7 Jan 2013 10:00:26 86,798 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nice tip. Thanks.
  • Nth 7 Jan 2013 21:56:59 3,120 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Properly announced now, here's a video of the X100S showing it's new tricks.

http://youtu.be/C0tNlfFcgQ0

Edited by Nth at 21:58:19 07-01-2013
  • Deleted user 24 July 2013 16:54:49
    Anyone got hold of the x100s yet ?, i think i might get one in the coming months. I currently have a d700, but want something a bit more discreet, and been really impressed with what i have read about it.

Not in stock on amazon though and there seems to be a shortage of stock of the camera as well.
  • UncleLou Moderator 24 Jul 2013 19:38:00 35,491 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've considered upgrading my "old" x100, but gave up for now due to the stock shortage. I think amazon says something like 2 months in Germany. I guess everyone and their dog bought one for their summer holidays.
  • Huggybear 28 Oct 2013 09:36:08 712 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fujifilm released new firmware last week for the x100. Yes, the old x100, not the new x100s. It's pretty amazing that a company bothers to improve a discontinued product (for free) instead of just trying to get people to upgrade to the new model.

So if you've got one, here's your chance to get faster AF and focus peaking mode for manual focus.
  • kalel 28 Oct 2013 11:19:38 86,798 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Awesome!
  • Nth 29 Oct 2013 07:38:09 3,120 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I sold mine 6 months ago as I assumed the S meant no more updates and the AF still annoyed me, althought the IQ was epic. Rumours of the firmware update peaked my interest and when I read reviews of it I knew I had to have one again, and now I do :)
  • monkman76 29 Oct 2013 11:26:58 4,134 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You bought another one? Where from? They seem actually more expensive now than they were around a year ago.
  • Nth 30 Oct 2013 15:21:51 3,120 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I bought one on ebay for £430. Sold mine earlier in the year for £500, bearing in mind extras I sold with mine price is about same really. The money side doesn't bother me, it's just a bit frustrating that we have to heap praise on Fuji for fixing things and adding things when half the time it's because they didn't work properly in the first place! Far better than just ignoring issues which is what Canon and Nikon tend to do. The new D610 is pretty shameful from Nikon.
  • kalel 30 Oct 2013 15:22:41 86,798 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Has anyone tried the new firmware? Does it make a significant difference?

I so want to love this camera. And I so nearly do.
  • Nth 31 Oct 2013 09:30:31 3,120 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yes it makes a huge difference and why I bought another one. Used it in London last night, AF in low light is so much more accurate.
  • Triangulate 4 Feb 2014 04:18:37 91 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    I've got one of these lovely little fellas, its just annoying about the focus distance. Having to kick it into manual and use the auto focus button or the lens wheel is annoying when it should really be able to focus itself automatically in standard AF mode.

I do love it mind.
  • UncleLou Moderator 4 Feb 2014 08:55:28 35,491 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think that is because the minimal focus distance is unusually small, and if you wouldn't have to set it manually, the AF would always hunt through the whole spectrum, making AF for "normal" distances slower than it is.
  • TarickStonefire 4 Feb 2014 13:23:45 2,978 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I have a 'Love/Meh' relationship with the X100S. I largely bought into it off the back of Arias and Strobist man banging on about theirs like it's the second coming, and it's great, but it's just not been *that* amazing so far. I consistently get vastly better photos from my D700, as I suppose is to be expected, but still…
    T
    he image quality is okay, but don't go too far beyond 1600 or the Noise Reduction smashes all the detail out of it, even on the lowest setting. I find it doesn't do too well with any bright light source anywhere near the field of view of the lens, spraying milky white uncontrasty flare spill all over the picture (even with the 'lens hood' thing on). True, all cameras react similarly but the X100S seems to look much worse. I love the JPGs generally (other than the too-powerful NR) but I prefer to keep RAWs and my favoured RAW converters (particularly Lightroom) can't come close to the JPGs: Lightroom matches Nikon and Canon camera settings almost identically which is nice, but has yet to get X-Trans profiles tho i Hear they're coming. And I find the 23mm lens cropped to about 35mm effective is a bit too barrel-distorted though I suppose I could set up an automatic adjustment for that in PS or LR.

But I love it for the size, the handiness, the appealing look (which makes people I point it at less scared than if I pointed an SLR at them!) and those JPGs. But otherwise I feel a lot of the effusive praise for it doesn't quite translate to how I've been using it. Maybe if I was Mr Strobist, taking flash lit portraits with it all the time - but frankly I think it's far too wide for that.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• billythekid 20 Feb 2014 15:04:42 11,098 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    New shiny for me! Covert street photography is the plan, and to carry it everywhere unlike the dslr.
  • Page

of 8 First / Last

Next