Move calibration issues

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • mattlee 20 Sep 2010 08:57:33 35 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hey folks. Got Move on Saturday and have had no end of bother when using two controllers at once. With archery, I have to aim at the ceiling with the left controller (I'm right-handed) to aim high. I've tried the camera at different location above and below the TV, different angles, different lighting conditions, re-calibration, everything with no joy.

Perhaps we could use this thread to gather camera placement and calibration tips for those with issues?
  • Deleted user 20 September 2010 09:05:07
    ive had no problems with move though i did notice some thing similar with 2 moves on archery until i realised that it was the positon of my non aiming move that was throwing it off (ie it was to low thus throwing the aim of the bow off)
  • JohnnyWashnGo 20 Sep 2010 09:09:47 1,544 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    At least you managed to get to play the demos - I couldn't get past the calibration screen on any of them :(
  • RyanDS 20 Sep 2010 09:09:48 9,062 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Try moving the camera under the TV. I found it worked better that way for me. Also check the camera is 100% level. I found I was getting drift when the camera was hung on top of my TV, I think it was due to it hanging at an angle.
  • KayJay 20 Sep 2010 09:19:08 5,287 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It just worked for me. Used a bit of electrical tape to keep the cemera in place on top of the TV.
    Depending on what game I play, I sometimes have to point the camera pointing up or down a little.
    RE5 I point it down a little as im sitting on the sofa and for sports champions I point it up a little because im standing up.
    But thats it, from day 1 It's just worked.
  • mattlee 20 Sep 2010 09:19:53 35 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thanks guys. Good tips for when I get home. It may be the second move controller angles, as mentioned, because single controller games seem fine.

Find myself strangely in love with Bocce! Hoping MAG has arrived at home too!
  • Res 20 Sep 2010 09:22:34 1,814 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You could try using both move controllers to navigate the XMB. At that point the ball isn't being tracked, so you could at least find out if you have a lighting issue or a problem with the controller itself.
  • KayJay 20 Sep 2010 09:24:00 5,287 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @mattlee
    With archery, try turning the move controller in your left hand (what is essentially the Bow) in a horizontal position rather than vertical.
    It made to aiming really accurate for me.

Also, MAG - im not sure the full game has Move controls right now. They are currently running a Beta which you can download from the store but they are only running sessions twice a week or something.
    But I don't think it will be long before the release the full game update patch. I think EG had a story on it last week...

Found it...
  • mattlee 20 Sep 2010 09:55:36 35 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'll try that with the archery too - thanks!

RE: MAG, I knew it was just a beta but didn't realise it was only in sessions. I hope the full patch is free!

@Res
    I've used each Move individually and they seem to be fine. I'm worried it may be my PS-Eye that has issues tracking two Moves. It was one I got when I bought Eye of Judgement.
  • mattlee 20 Sep 2010 10:12:05 35 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Been reading on some sites that reseeting the PS3 and setting the camera to 60Hz is an improvement too.

I'll give this a blast also and report back!
  • rockin_rob_1 20 Sep 2010 12:05:02 12 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My Move is driving absouletly crazy, it just wont calibrate on any game whatsoever and Ive tried everything that a 3 hour scan through forums and support sites has to offer. taking mine back for a replacement today, I'll let you know if it's down to faulty hardware (there does seem to be a few about according to other forums).
  • JohnnyWashnGo 20 Sep 2010 12:17:39 1,544 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    rockin_rob_1 wrote:
    My Move is driving absouletly crazy, it just wont calibrate on any game whatsoever and Ive tried everything

Same here mate. I have been through 2 of the buggers now and no joy. If I have to sit through those screens that say you are moving the controller too much once more, I may hit somebody ;)
  • peterv 20 Sep 2010 12:20:41 113 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    JohnnyWashnGo wrote:
    rockin_rob_1 wrote:
    My Move is driving absouletly crazy, it just wont calibrate on any game whatsoever and Ive tried everything

Same here mate. I have been through 2 of the buggers now and no joy. If I have to sit through those screens that say you are moving the controller too much once more, I may hit somebody ;)

Have you tried calibrating the move in the XMB settings?

Sorry if i asked an obvious question. but it's a different procedure to the in game calibration.
  • dsmx 20 Sep 2010 12:24:42 7,563 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You sure it's just not the lighting in your room? Have you actually tried recalibrating the eye camera instead of just the move controller?

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• rockin_rob_1 20 Sep 2010 13:03:39 12 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @JohnnyWashnGo : Tell me about it, I almost threw it out the window last night.

@ peterv : Yeah I've tried that a number of times and turned off the megnetic sensor!

@ dsmx : Yeah tried that, I've even tried in pitch black, covered up anything that reflects light in my bedroom (ie. windows, picture frames etc) seriously it's rediculous.

Thanks for your advice though guys.

I've been to exchange it on my lunch break, I'll have to try the replacement when I get home from work and let you know how I get on.
  • mattlee 20 Sep 2010 13:14:51 35 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is everyone that has issues using an existing PS-Eye or a brand new one?

Mine is an existing one. But then I can calibrate, it just seems 'off'.
  • JohnnyWashnGo 20 Sep 2010 13:33:03 1,544 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I my case I have been through two starter packs - so both my eyes were new.

I tried everything, lights on/off, blinds open/shut, play during day/night, hard reset the controllers, put camera above/below the tv, had mag sensor on/off, calbrated through XMB calibration option and rebooted PS3 several times.

Tonight I try my third starter box... I hope, for its sake as well as mine, it doesn't keep telling me to not move the controller whilst calibrating when I am doing no such thing.
  • rockin_rob_1 20 Sep 2010 13:39:43 12 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My eye is about six months old, so I'd say new. Works perfect on any other game.
  • King_Edward 20 Sep 2010 13:42:12 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Are you sure you're not moving the controller too much? :p
  • FogHeart 20 Sep 2010 13:52:19 944 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Are you able to take the eye and controller to someone else's house to eliminate them? Even, worst case scenario, taking it all to a different room to determine if it's something in the locale rather than the equipment?
  • dominalien 20 Sep 2010 14:08:15 6,839 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    fröd wrote:
    FogHeart wrote:
    Are you able to take the eye and controller to someone else's house to eliminate them?

woah, that's harsh

Unmanly, too. You should be able to deal with these kinds of things in you own home.

Edit: now you've got me all worried my Move won't work properly when it arrives tomorrow. :S

PSN: DonOsito

• rockin_rob_1 20 Sep 2010 14:40:11 12 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Good thinking, I'll give that a go if I still have no luck with the new one.
  • rockin_rob_1 20 Sep 2010 17:35:42 12 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've just tried my new controller and it works perfectly.
  • Kill_Crazy 20 Sep 2010 17:50:17 2,288 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RE: Aiming probs esp. Archery - I found that sometimes it's better to point at the middle of my tv when the eye is on top rather than at the eye as it says. This seems to give me a much better 'centre' for the aim. I'm also sitting down when playing.
  • Ron_Justice 20 Sep 2010 18:19:20 2,290 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Kill_Crazy wrote:
    RE: Aiming probs esp. Archery - I found that sometimes it's better to point at the middle of my tv when the eye is on top rather than at the eye as it says. This seems to give me a much better 'centre' for the aim. I'm also sitting down when playing.

?

It says to point at the eye? That's pretty daft isn't it? I'm sure you don't notice once you're actually in game but I'd have thought the ideal would be to do as you're doing - point at the target, not above it!

Move is yet to be released here, so I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Steam/Origin - Ron_Justice
    PSN - hyper_808

• JohnnyWashnGo 20 Sep 2010 18:36:57 1,544 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wooo - third time lucky.

My new starter pack works a treat. Crikey the move is a cracking little bit of kit when it works.

The other two I had both suffered from the same problem which I just couldn't fix. The easiest way to see if you have the same issue is to use your move on the XMB. Press the T button and if the XMB starts to move in any other direction than the one you are moving in then its probably worth exchanging it.

My previous controllers would simple move up without me moving the move. If I pressed the T button it would scroll to the top of the XMB. Obviously if the controller is reporting a false movement to the PS3 then all the calibration in the world wouldn't get you past the demos calibration screen, which is what I encountered.

Right, enough typing, time to start playing ;)
  • mingster 20 Sep 2010 18:49:04 3,270 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    wow two out of 3 faulty units i'm amazed. It sounds like they aren't very well made. honestly thought it would be a lighting or environmental problem you had.
    o well good news.
  • dsmx 20 Sep 2010 18:50:37 7,563 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Or it's the standard launch problems that all new hardware has.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous