Dark Souls Page 1193

• Page

of 1193 First / Last

Next
  • Dr_Mech 18 Jun 2014 21:31:18 995 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Elemental in Dark Souls is usually the reserve of low level run and PvP builds I'd personally sticking to upgrading it to +15, you won't get the option to upgraded it to lightning until the middle of the game.

The main reason for sticking to physical damage is that bosses are resistant to various types of elements (though they are also weak to other types) so your damage output can vary wildly depending on the boss you're fighting but with physical you have a reliable damage ouput.

Since you've already past the Depths you should have the option to upgrade to +10 (there's a chest in the area of the depths with the big butcher which gives you the large ember required to upgrading to +10), the leeches you find in the swamp at blighttown drop Large Titanite shards fairly frequently (as well as green titanite shards required for every elemental upgrade path but lightning).

If you've skipped the Depths...well unfortunately it is kind of a required area if you want to be able to upgrade your weapon beyond +5. This does require beating one of the toughest early game bosses however but should be fairly doable. If you've already done the Depths, feel free to ignore this advice.

Also IIRC you actually need to +10 a weapon in order to go down the lightning path, unlike the other elemental weapons where they upgrade from a regular +5 (and all of the smiths for them are hidden throughout the world, the fire/chaos smith is a particular bastard to get to).

Man it feels good to be back giving advice about a game I know like the back of my hand, Dark Souls 2 still alludes me in this fashion sadly.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 21:35:11 18-06-2014
  • Wunty_Phyve 18 Jun 2014 22:45:50 969 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Went back with zwei man and nailed o and s. Just about to enter dlc content as a melee sword swinging bastard on regular ng. Should be a change... I bow to the zwei now. It's up to +14. Whoop.

Shit I'm addicted to playing nothing but souls games.

I need a range weapon I think, take it as a str build my option is crossbow or great bow?
  • Gabriel2R 18 Jun 2014 23:33:43 179 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Dr_Mech That is a fine post, i tought i was a shit weakling for not beating that Depths boss so easily, or maybe he was resistent to physical damage, but that guy is really strong and can Hit K.O you if you do 1 wrong step.

In Lagtown im am a bit worried, the toxic guy is a pain in the ass to deal, and i completely forgotten about him when i got to the merchant in the entrance to the depths, maybe its time for some serious jolly cooperation to do that part, wish me luck...

If you go to a element, wich is the best? I am inclined to chaos, or something that scales with faith for some miracles, if i upgrade to elemental i can get a secondary weapon, maybe the Uchigatana, my Dex is pretty low but i can upgrade it instead of faith and Vitality, yes i am that crazy xD
  • Dr_Mech 19 Jun 2014 01:50:25 995 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Out of any of the elements I'd probably pick Lightning it is the least resisted element in the game. Quite a few bosses resist fire, magic is designed for casters and doesn't really benefit a non-caster, the Divine/Dark weapon scaling is kind of garbage (seriously just use a regular +15 weapon or a lightning/fire/chaos). There's 2 bosses that resist lightning in the entire game.

It deals less damage than Fire or Chaos but as mentioned is less resisted, you'll need to get to the middle part of the game in order to unlock lightning, whereas the others you can get early if your skilled/insane enough.

However IF you've got the DLC/playing on PC (the Prepare to Die edition on PC called the Artorias of the Abyss DLC on consoles) you'll want a regular physical weapon. The bosses in that resist elemental attacks to an insanely high degree, this also applies to regular bosses in New Game Plus.

Elemental weapons are pretty good for a first playthrough without the DLC but after that you really do suffer.
  • fiery_jackass 19 Jun 2014 06:46:13 460 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Turns out my boredom with dks2 wasn't down to me "being burnt out on souls games". I'm about twenty hours into a new character on dark souls and firmly back in love. It's really encouraging to see loads of jolly cooperation activity. Augurs well for me as I had down to the dark place to join the red brothers.

It's definitely my favourite game out of the three
  • quadfather 19 Jun 2014 08:05:35 11,811 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @fiery_jackass

Yup. I don't think its possible to get souls fatigue. It's like doom. Or a fine wine. They're just part of life and are great all the time.

I rotate between demon's, dark and ds2 and the first 2 are still very comfortable

@Gabriel - once you've killed the toxic guys, they don't respawn.

Also, use the spider shield found in the depths as that has good poison and toxic resistance

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• fiery_jackass 19 Jun 2014 09:20:55 460 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @quadfather
    At the risk of flogging an undead horse you'll be delighted to know that my priority #1 was to secure a BSS. Took about twenty minutes running the chapel balders.
  • quadfather 19 Jun 2014 09:27:11 11,811 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @fiery_jackass

And I suppose this fact of life is here to stay too :)

20 fucking minutes. I could cry.

I might roll another char and see if I can get one

Might start a time trial, with screenshots. Fastest BSS acquisition :)

• Wunty_Phyve 19 Jun 2014 09:30:53 969 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    I'm resigning myself to ignoring my backlog for quite some time. All I want to play is this or Dark Souls 2.

Venturing into New Londo Ruins to get the ember last night is still one of the most unnerving experiences in a game.

How come after approx 160 hours in each of these games they can STILL feel new!?

I've forgotten so much in DS. Getting chunks and slabs of titanite is a grind compared with DS2 where I never felt I had to farm for them.

Also, I wish they'd included that crazy depth of field effect in DS2.

Edited by Wunty_Phyve at 09:44:57 19-06-2014
  • quadfather 19 Jun 2014 09:45:17 11,811 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Because they're dripping with atmosphere and tension!

• fiery_jackass 19 Jun 2014 10:13:43 460 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wunty_Phyve wrote:
    How come after approx 160 hours in each of these games they can STILL feel new!?
    Dunno, I've got a couple of thousand hours on dark souls and the current run has been terrifying and hilarious and fresh as a daisy. Demons souls, not so much, usually just play through my favourite areas and then get bored. Dks2... Hmmm.
  • Wunty_Phyve 21 Jun 2014 22:27:46 969 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Up yours Kalameet! First time facing him for a while as was doing other characters. Had a crack at him and kicked his arse. 1 homing soul mass to spare. Was a good fight but ultimately his attacks, once I'd figured them, we're very easy to dodge. Manus was still more intense I think. Well chuffed though. I may have done a small dance afterwards.
  • Nanocrystal 21 Jun 2014 23:58:17 991 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Wunty_Phyve wrote:
    I'm resigning myself to ignoring my backlog for quite some time. All I want to play is this or Dark Souls 2.

So much this. Currently building a badass pyromancer/caster and have spent most of the weekend down in Blight Town helping others take out Quelaag and earning Sunlight Medals and Humanity. Still quite a lot of people playing the game on 360, maybe because it was free this month. Pyro Glove ascended!

First time I played DS I hated Blight Town, but having spent a long time down there now I've really gained an appreciation for it. Despite the terribly frame rate, the level design and particularly the draw distance are just incredible. From just outside the bonfire tunnel entrance you can look up and see all the way to the Valley of Drakes exit, as well as a large part of the route in from the Depths. This was also my first playthrough in which I didn't pick the Master Key as a starting gift, so I had to make my way down there the latter route.

Also only just learned how to get from the bonfire to Quelaag without getting poisoned or aggroing the boulder throwers.

Been summoned again, gotta go!
  • fiery_jackass 25 Jun 2014 12:10:21 460 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    been playing DkS a lot recently. Delighted that there's still so much invading/co-op activity. At SL70 I'm constantly getting action on my trusty red orb in Duke's and, given the hilarious panic the invasions engender half of the time, these are not seasoned players on their nth re-roll.

PvP duelling is still the heart-rending mix of brilliant gladatorial contests with nice folks and disastrous, cheap bouts with win-obsessed bell-ends... only come across one bona fide cheater on this run though.
  • Widge Moderator 1 Jul 2014 13:29:34 13,246 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Brilliant.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• quadfather 1 Jul 2014 13:58:27 11,811 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Haha love the editing in these type of videos

• IJ 1 Jul 2014 17:32:51 799 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just put this on the July swap thread but should probably put it here too

IJ wrote:
    For sale/swap

Lets start with the big one....
    Dark Souls: Collector's Edition Guide This one
    It's the hardback strategy guide for the first Dark Souls and is an absolute thing of beauty. I am not a collector of games in any way and I've only played and completed the game once, but this book looks so good on the shelf and is of such quality I've hung on to it for a few years...but realistically I'd prefer the money. It's in near new condition, there are slight folds on the spine where I've opened and read it, but the cover and every page is in perfect new condition, no marks/tears etc I can send photos if you want. PM me an offer but lets say not less than 35 plus P&P (they've been going for 50 on ebay and are 70 on Amazon!) I live in London so happy to meet somewhere there and exchange to save you P&P and you can inspect it. Also happy to swap for a game or two on my wanted list!
    Edited by IJ at 17:33:03 01-07-2014
  • Rhaegyr 16 Jul 2014 20:07:39 1,406 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Fancied a quick blast on this today (360) - booted up the game to find I only had the New Game option. Checked my hard drive and the save file was still there.

After looking online it seems like it's corrupt :(

So many hours, weapons, sets etc. All gone lol.

Edited by Rhaegyr at 20:08:06 16-07-2014
  • Wunty_Phyve 16 Jul 2014 20:22:11 969 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    @Rhaegyr Oh god... All those hours spent weeping blood! :(
  • Rhaegyr 16 Jul 2014 20:25:30 1,406 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    NG+++ too ha!

Ah well - great excuse to play it again in a year or so :)
  • Wunty_Phyve 16 Jul 2014 20:26:59 969 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    @Rhaegyr Ouch! Why wait a year? Get stuck in!!!
  • Page

of 1193 First / Last

Next