Dark Souls Page 1191

• Page

of 1193 First / Last

• Dangerous_Dan 26 May 2014 15:36:58 2,378 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Scaling in DkS1 is very different from scaling in DkS2. The ratings are not comparable.

In DkS1 a normal long sword +15 has a C, C rating in dexterity and strength.
    What it means is that with 40 strength and 40 dexterity, the base damage of 200 gets a bonus of about 200 added on top of it. So a 100% damage boost through scaling.

In DkS2 a normal +10 long sword has a C, C rating as well but at 40 strength and 40 dexterity the damage ends up being 225 base damage plus about 80 from scaling.

In other words - scaling is not important in DkS2.
    Get the basic stats for a weapon, infuse it with any of the elements and buff it with the appropriate buff. Pure melee is pretty much pointless in DkS2.
  • quadfather 27 May 2014 10:22:18 11,808 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sod DS2 - let's all roll BK characters all wearing the steel helm!

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Wunty_Phyve 13 Jun 2014 21:31:07 969 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    I've just bought artorias of the abyss. I've got a sorcerer about to ring the second bell in ng+ so... How the hell do I access it? Something to do with darkroot basin and an extra crystal golem in the dukes archives?
  • teamHAM 13 Jun 2014 21:37:03 2,739 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    IIRC you have to have the Lordvessel so you have to be quite a bit into the game.

Once you get to Dukes in the first bit there will be an extra golem. He will drop the Pendant or something. Then you go back to Darkroot Basin, behind where the Hydra is talk to Dusk and then you can go into the new content.

Might be a bit off since I haven't done it for ages but that's roughly it.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• Wunty_Phyve 13 Jun 2014 23:41:41 969 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    @teamHAM cheers just got the LV and rescued dusk so just off to the archives. Christ, ng+ o and s got my heart pumping a bit...

Edit: fucking hell why did I decide to do this on ng+? I might have to kill that prick pinwheel so I can kindle. What awesome looking areas though. Dark souls doesn't have this depth of field effect to the same degree. I miss it. Adds to the game.

Edited by Wunty_Phyve at 00:29:55 14-06-2014
  • fiery_jackass 14 Jun 2014 01:18:54 456 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Wunty_Phyve
    intervention time!

sorcery is not a good choice for the DLC, certainly not for Artorias himself who, on a melee build, is the most exciting and challenging boss in the entire game, for my money. Make sure you have a good sword ready.
  • Exceptional_leg 14 Jun 2014 01:22:04 83 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    I just spent the last half hour modding and optimising the PC version, and oh my good golly it looks good. The high quality ambient occlusion coupled with the depth of field blur of DSfix just brings the world alive. GFWL still makes me want to stab someone whenever I start up the game, but this is a real treat :)

I forgot how ridiculously easy it is to backstab and parry everything in this game. I feel immortal! :-P

Edited by Exceptional_leg at 01:22:45 14-06-2014
  • Nanocrystal 14 Jun 2014 01:27:57 991 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Replaying this now after completing DS2 several times. Can't beleive how better I am than the first time I played it. Also managed to miss half the game the first time (Gwyndolin, the Londo blacksmith, Big Hat Logan, Havels' armor).

Just started on the DLC, the first boss was nails. Really all about learning its move set and knowing when it's safe to get an attack in.

I was sceptical when everyone was saying DS2 wasn't as good, but it's totally true. DS1 is a genuine masterpiece.
  • Wunty_Phyve 14 Jun 2014 01:38:42 969 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Agree x10000000

I love dark souls 2. Completely love it. But after spending the whole evening with dark souls and now the dlc. It's a fucking masterpiece. I'd forgotten how the game just exudes evil. It wants you to die. Ds2 is like "yeah, you might die, but if you're good you'll be ok". Dark souls is "you're dead. You just don't know it yet".

Artorias has kicked my arse now four times. He is in himself better than any boss I've faced in a souls game. Completely lethal. My sorcerer doesn't stand a chance!!! (You are right jackass!)

I wish I could bring a dex char in here. I still might.
  • Mr_Sleep 14 Jun 2014 01:57:21 16,838 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    With Artorias it is all about rolling and stopping his charging up. To be honest if you do get past Artorias as a sorcerer you are in for even worse later.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Wunty_Phyve 14 Jun 2014 02:05:00 969 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    @Mr_Sleep I didn't want to hear that! Although I'm a flipping powerful sorcerer...
  • Nanocrystal 14 Jun 2014 08:40:07 991 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just took Artorias out with my Heavy Crossbow +15. Had Mask of the Child equipped for faster Stamina regen and a also bow ready to head-shot him with manual aim when he's doing his charge-up (cancels it instantly no matter the damage). The crossbow did around 150 damage per shot and hardly used any stamina at all, so I was almost always able to block or dodge. Was still tough as nails, but definitely a viable strategy.
  • Wunty_Phyve 14 Jun 2014 10:09:43 969 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    @Nanocrystal nice one. I'm going to have another bash at him tonight. Last go I got him nearly dead then he did that leap attack and splatted me. Toying with starting a new great scythe wielding dex char and tackle him on ng instead if I'm gonna struggle with a magic man.
  • teamHAM 14 Jun 2014 10:14:00 2,739 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    IIRC its definitely physical damage that you want to using in the dlc as most of the mobs and bosses are resistant to magic

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• Wunty_Phyve 14 Jun 2014 10:48:03 969 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    @teamHAM yeah... It's mental. Crystal soul spear with dragon rest ring, dusk crown and crystal catalyst takes two hits for those stone giants in the wood. It's mental! Sorcerer was the only guy I had near enough to be able to access this place easily but I miss my physical damage!
  • quadfather 14 Jun 2014 11:06:28 11,808 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yup you need a +15 physical weapon if you can.

And Mr Sleep is right. You've got all kinds of fun coming up :)

• Wunty_Phyve 14 Jun 2014 14:06:22 969 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    @quadfather I have a +5 enchanted long sword and a +5 chaos, eh, something. Any thoughts on a good weapon to scale up for an int build? I've forgotten do much with this game. I need to go and kill pinwheel for sure as 5 estus are not enough to do this in ng+!!!!
  • Wunty_Phyve 16 Jun 2014 01:07:55 969 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    I am completely blown away by the awesomeness of this DLC. Some of the most unnerving moments ever experienced in a game and I think Manus is my most favourite boss ever. Love it. Can't kill the bastard though. Reckon I would have annihilated him ng so quite pleased I'm facing him ng+ and he's giving me a right proper workout.
  • Mr_Sleep 16 Jun 2014 01:58:34 16,838 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I used an enchanted claymore which was pretty tasty.

Honestly I never did manage to kill manus as a sorcerer but I dealt with him relatively easily with a pure strength build. I mean, he is still a challenge but I took him down and he only got two of his magic attacks off whereas I tried a whole stack of times with a sorcerer and never got close. Bear in mind that there is a summons available.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Nanocrystal 16 Jun 2014 03:21:02 991 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Found Manus a doddle once I managed to summon Sif to help me out. Kalameet was pretty easy too.
  • quadfather 16 Jun 2014 08:01:25 11,808 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The balder side sword is good when scaled with magic. Pretty sure it scales A.

Not that I'd know

Edited by quadfather at 08:01:40 16-06-2014

• Gabriel2R 16 Jun 2014 08:12:31 179 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I love this game, i really do, but everytime i can not finish, i need help, manly with weapons, currently i think i am using that Sword in the undead dragon that requires 14 faith, and it is a great sword, but i can not find that urge to play the game, i still dont beat the dragon in the bridge, and i am scared as hell of him, and i am in high level, so many things pass trough me in the game and i just feel dumb....
  • quadfather 16 Jun 2014 08:36:56 11,808 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Gabriel2R

Check out the tips in my signature

• Gabriel2R 16 Jun 2014 08:44:26 179 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @quadfather You tips sounds really interesting, i gonna log in DS on PC right now and check my stats, maybe even a print? And show you guys my build, something that really makes me crazy, is this the right build? The right weapon? Where i can get that cool crossbow, most weapons i know where i can get, brb gonna get that print
  • quadfather 16 Jun 2014 08:46:14 11,808 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Okey dokey :)

• Gabriel2R 16 Jun 2014 09:06:04 179 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @quadfather

So this is my build, i am using the Drake Sword now, is just too op for my level, but later i thinking in the Astora Sword, with a lot of pyro spells, and maybe miracles since the faith bonus from astoras, the question is, is this a viable build? In the PS3 my char was lv 80 but all the time my arse was kicked in the PvP, and i never closed the game since that dark part with skeletons was hard as fuck without the lantern and i did even know duke archives

Edited by Gabriel2R at 09:11:31 16-06-2014
  • LeoliansBro 16 Jun 2014 09:13:57 43,126 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Swap out the Drake Sword for the Claymore once you have the shards to upgrade it, and then the Zwei when you're strong enough. Pump levels into strength and then endurance, and get on with the enjoyable task of hitting things until they are dead :)

FOr those who would note this does not match the profile of a dex build, I would point out ZWEIZWEIZWEIZWEIZWEI.

RAQUEL ZWEI.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Gabriel2R 16 Jun 2014 09:36:06 179 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think i got so many points in faith that going back is not a option, attunment too, i just love use spells more than hit things, but i think i gonna start a str build in another char just to taste using Zwei, i got it in this char, but where i got i can not remember...
  • quadfather 16 Jun 2014 10:02:30 11,808 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I can't see that picture you've linked as it's not displaying properly.

But anyway, as LeoliansBro points out, get rid of the drake sword.

Are you planning to be strength based? If so, the Claymore/Zweihander are good options as already mentioned by our local crazy Zwei man.

Or are you interested in a dexterity based class?

Can you just type out your stats on this page so I can see them

The astora sword is ok at the start, but not that good later on, even with a lot of faith. There are other weapons that would suit you more.

So, are you going for strength + faith, or some other plan?

Do you want to do a lot of pvp, or just pve?

• quadfather 16 Jun 2014 10:03:13 11,808 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Zweihander is in the graveyard, just near firelink shrine, for info.

• Page

of 1193 First / Last