Dark Souls Page 1181

• Page

of 1199 First / Last

• andyc1980 28 Feb 2014 00:09:54 1,094 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @puddleduck it was more for the humanity. Think I had about 8 or 9.
  • ubergine 28 Feb 2014 02:12:49 2,341 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I lost my little stack of humanity too, but was killed by something relatively basic on the way back to it, ripped off.

If I could reliably get the kick to work I'd find the early game so much easier, but it seems to trigger about ten percent of the time.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• EMarkM 28 Feb 2014 08:03:36 3,173 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @ubergine As with backstabbing, parrying, reposting and :: sigh :: the jump attack, practice on the goons in FLS and Undead Burg/Parish.

Practice them a LOT.
  • Architect_z 28 Feb 2014 08:15:55 2,385 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'd like to say I mastered the kick, i can do it 99% of the time.

I can also do the jump attack with any other weapon except the Large Club, the 2handed R2 attacks is very powerful, but also incredibly slow, easy to parry. People could run from one side of anor londo to the other by the time the hit actually lands. In PvP, this can be horrid, you think "ah ha! you're on the bridge, a jumping 2handed club smash will finish you off.!"
    But then you stand there charging up, ready to smash, at which point, your opponent is slashing at you with a crystal magic claymore. Grrrrr
  • quadfather 28 Feb 2014 09:28:08 12,003 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I often mess up the roll forward + attack move and the back step + attack move but generally OK with the rest

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• robc84 28 Feb 2014 09:32:12 5,521 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I suck at parrying but can back stab successfully about 90% of the time. Most other moves I'm ok with. I don't often use the roll + attack move though.
  • ubergine 28 Feb 2014 10:02:25 2,341 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I tried out a pyromage character earlier without the master key, to force myself to use weaker starting weapons. Found an "Estoc" then Oh God it works completely differently! I might as well have been waving string at the bastards.

• quadfather 28 Feb 2014 10:07:19 12,003 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    heh yeah, it's a different kind of moveset and takes a different playstyle. Critical damage attacks are better on it though than other weapons

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Kami 28 Feb 2014 11:28:36 2,430 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @quadfather; Indeed, there are plenty of playstyles throughout the game.

By the time I finished with my PS3 "The Dark Soul", I was using a +15 Falchion in 2-Hand pose, with a Grass Crest Shield and low-weight armour (couple of leather bits and couple of clothy bits) to make full use of a Dark Wood Grain Ring. But then, I started earlier in NG with a Buckler/Dagger combo and parried/riposted. It's sometimes about finding out what works for you.

Do note that the estoc is also ideally suited for a later boss soul upgrade!

Edited by Kami at 11:28:58 28-02-2014

Master of Tekisuto No Kabe. *bows*
    And you're reading this why?!

• Architect_z 28 Feb 2014 15:28:12 2,385 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The best Rapier is Ricards. Get it to +15 with a large amount of DEX, get a good buff like Sunlight weapon.

R2 the f*** out of the bosses, you can kill them so quickly.
  • Architect_z 28 Feb 2014 17:22:46 2,385 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    O by the way. Anyone who is familiar with Zero Punctuation, he's finally reviewed Dark Souls.

And guess what.....he likes it!!!

(For those of you who don't know Yahzee from Zero Punctuation, he's a cynical reviewer who hates most games.)

Link: Zero Punctuation Review

Enjoy. ^_^

Edited by Architect_z at 17:23:36 28-02-2014
  • ZuluHero 28 Feb 2014 18:36:28 4,105 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That was brilliant. I liked mr smugface. :)
  • ubergine 1 Mar 2014 00:25:25 2,341 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I watched that video last week. it 's what got me playing this finally.

• stryker1121 1 Mar 2014 15:10:29 685 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Was messing about with some PvP for the first time yesterday, mostly getting invaded tbh. First fight the guy bowed and we had a pretty good battle that I won. Made it into another guy's world and got skewered by someone helping him.

Then I ran into "that guy," built for PvP and steaming into my world like a fecking freight train. My hits were doing zero damage , and the fun I was having prior died with my character. He came into my world twice with the same results. What do you do about guys like that, other than summoning someone?
  • Deleted user 1 March 2014 15:19:02
    @stryker1121

You mean about the constant invasions or beating a hacker (your hits were literally doing 0 damage or figuratively very little damage?).

If a hacker you can kick them off a cliff (tricky and geographically situational), if an overpowered twink build, Hornet Ring and backstab/riposte might be your best hope.

Don't unhollow if you don't want to be invaded and learn to beat the bosses unassisted, but where's the fun in that? ;)
  • stryker1121 1 Mar 2014 15:24:48 685 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Ironlungs76 My aim is to to screw the hacker out of rewards he would normally get for for killing me. Is there a way to do that? I'm actually on NG now and played mostly hollow during my run. I like the idea of invasions ramping up the tension, but I wonder (esp for DS2) how many of those people are hackers looking to ruin the good time of others.
  • Deleted user 1 March 2014 15:30:47
    Yeah hackers are scum and tarnish the game. I pvp a lot and they are a constant on x360. When I encounter a hacker I make sure to set them on my 'recently met' list to 'avoid' and file a report.

Not sure whether it makes much, if any, difference but it's served me well enough thus far.

• FWB 1 Mar 2014 15:46:42 44,349 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I suck so hard at this game. Really really really bad at it.
  • stryker1121 1 Mar 2014 16:00:41 685 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Ironlungs76
    Haha, my kung fu is not that strong, though I'll certainly give kicking a try.
  • ubergine 1 Mar 2014 16:54:58 2,341 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've been dying over and over on this ridiculous 2 Gargoyles On Rooftop fight, and pretty much have decided this is the worst game ever. It's got more in common with Flappy Bird than anything else I can think of. For some reason you keep playing this fucked game to see if you can get that little bit farther. I let it rest for the night with one humanity left to summon that offline guy, and so there's basically one chance left that I'll get my stuff back and beat the things, despite their ridiculous over-powered attacks.

• EMarkM 1 Mar 2014 17:40:27 3,173 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @ubergine Exactly what stopped me playing for eight months.

Try this one time with your humanity, then if you fail, start doing tours of the burg and parish, which will eventually start to give you the odd humanity back for more tries.

I was convinced this game was not for me at this stage, but it is now probably my favourite ever game. Good luck.
  • Syrok Designer, Tarsier Studios 1 Mar 2014 17:48:57 14,033 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Solaire should be able to take care of them. To avoid getting hit try to lure the gargoyles to the top part of the roof and stand below them. Most of their attacks will fly over your head.

-----

I think I made a mistake…

I started a new character, a sorcerer, today. Figured it be a good idea to skip the Capra demon and the Depth and make a beeline for Queelag after defeating the Gargoyles. I had huge problems with Capra in my first run through, so skipping it and the Depth sounded like a great idea. And it was, except I'm woefully underpowered now! My spear took a measly 14 health points off Queelag and my spell only did 49 damage. Mildred turned out to be less than useful too. She usually just followed me without attacking Queelag or calmly stood in pools of lava. Fortunately, I did manage to summon a human player and he took care of Queelag, while I lend moral support and healed him once.

I now dread going to Sen's Fortress. The foes there could probably kill me with one or two hits and sneaking passed them might be difficult.

I could really do with a good weapon. Any ideas what might be good for a light character, with high intelligence stats? I heard Velka's Rapier is pretty good, but I'm not sure I'm strong enough to even get there.
    What spells would you guys recommend? I have never really played as a caster. Only messed around with the Royal class in Demon's, but didn't take it very far since it was so overpowered.
  • EMarkM 1 Mar 2014 17:50:55 3,173 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    To add, they are weak to lightning if you have any pine resin left, and you should concentrate on the first one first. Keep an eye on the second one, but only to keep out of his way. Don't attack him until the first one is down.
  • Deleted user 1 March 2014 18:01:26
    @Syrok

You'll want to get towards 44 Int minimum for a really decent pure sorcerer build. Free Griggs from Lower Undead Burg and buy the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring from him as well as his copy of Greater Soul Arrow. You can get another Greater Soul Arrow from the NLR blacksmith (name escapes me as I type).

Get the Dusk Crown after the Darkroot Basin Hydra. Combine the Crown and Ring and your spells will start to put out decent damage.

In Sens make sure you save Logan from his cage.

Once you've beaten O&S head straight for Seathe and make sure to free Logan again and go buy his spells, Crystal Soul Spear/Crystal Homing Soulmass. If your Int is 50+ you can get Crystal Dragon Breathe spell too, but it's shite imo.

As for weapons it depends. Rapiers are a good light choice, but the Crystal Butterfly Horn (ascended +10 spear and soul of Butterfly) or, a better choice, the tail weapon from beating Seathe, Moonlight Greatsword. 16 Str, 10 Dex 24 Int are the minimum stats for that bad boy. No really decent weapons up until that point so either +10 a Longsword or something for the meantime is what I've done before. For the +10 spear just degrade the Lightning Spear from Sens for a free Butterfly Horn.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by Ironlungs76 at 18:02:05 01-03-2014
  • Syrok Designer, Tarsier Studios 1 Mar 2014 18:25:06 14,033 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks, Iron.

Guess I'll try to make my way back up the Firelink Shrine next and then take on the butterfly. The latter is probably going to be easier than the former. :)
  • Deleted user 1 March 2014 18:38:44
    No worries, in the short-term just get Greater Soul Arrow from the NLR blacksmith on your way back up from Blighttown. It's certainly worthwhile getting both the ring and crown before Sens though, you'll need the damage against Iron Golem and O&S for sure. Good luck!
  • FWB 1 Mar 2014 19:47:39 44,349 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Couple of questions...

- What is being hollow? Why might I want to get rid of it? I know I can't kindle while in the state, anything else?
    - The enchantments I can put on weapons to add stats/magical attacks... are they permanent?
  • Deleted user 1 March 2014 19:57:03
    Hollow is the basic zombie-esque your character will be at the start of the game. If you reverse hollowing you turn Human and resemble a, well, a human :)

If you are hollow you cannot be invaded. On the flip side, you cannot summon either NPC or human assistance for bosses and whatnot while hollow.

It's generally considered a 'safe option' as you won't get griefed by gankers, but there are situations you have to turn Human (to kindle your bonfires for more Estus flasks for example).

The permanent enchantments are Fire, Chaos, Devine, Lightning, Occult, Magic and Enchanted. Raw, Crystal and Normal (ie you just hit harder) as well, but not enchantments. Don't confuse the permanent enchantments with Resin buffs which are temporary. You'll likely stumble across some Gold Pine Resin early in Undead Berg - that type of usable item is a temporary weapon buff for roughly 1min. Certain blacksmiths can upgrade weapons to have a permanent enchantment with certain items later in the game.

Edited by Ironlungs76 at 20:02:20 01-03-2014
  • FWB 1 Mar 2014 20:03:11 44,349 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ahh ta. Was wondering about that resin.

Bosses... I've got the two in the Undead Berg. Can I solo them? Do their stats increase with my leveling? I started as a Pyro.

Also, can I hollow again once I unhollow?
  • Deleted user 1 March 2014 20:12:13
    All boss stats are set amounts, HP etc. If you can hit it and damage it then you can kill it.

I'm taking a guess here, but would 1 of those bosses you mention reside at the bottom of a twisting staircase? If so, you can beat him now, of course, but he's a tough bastard that you can come back to later if needs be. The main way to proceed is through the fog against Taurus Demon. He's pretty tough first few times around but, like all bosses, once you figure out his pattern and your tactics then he's a real wuss.

You can reset being human dying, so yes, very easily!
  • Page

of 1199 First / Last