Dark Souls Page 1095

• Page

of 1193 First / Last

• Madder-Max 22 Jan 2014 01:50:26 11,618 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nanocrystal wrote:
    Turn around and head in the opposite direction.
    What do you mean? Its all pretty linear. I've spoken to the bloke and raided the chests. The game doesn't let you pick up swords or sheilds from the ground either which is odd.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Mola_Ram 22 Jan 2014 01:55:54 6,946 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Don't go to the cemetery, go up to the Undead Burg.

The keyword there is 'up'. It's basically in the opposite direction to the skeletons.
  • Mola_Ram 22 Jan 2014 02:09:17 6,946 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago

See the stairs to the left in this picture? Go up there and follow the path. That's where you're supposed to go. (well, there are other options, but this is generally the path that people take)
  • Madder-Max 22 Jan 2014 02:54:53 11,618 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's the best tip ever! Gone that way and its really clicking into place now. Thank you.

What are the white rings that appear?

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Mola_Ram 22 Jan 2014 02:57:28 6,946 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    White rings?
  • modula 22 Jan 2014 04:47:11 246 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Madder-Max I looked this up the other day - I'd assumed they were glitches, but it's apparently when someone uses a certain miracle in that spot - if you use particular miracles near them, their power is boosted. Apparently anyway; fucked if I really know
  • DodgyPast 22 Jan 2014 06:36:01 8,414 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    modula wrote:
    @Madder-Max I looked this up the other day - I'd assumed they were glitches, but it's apparently when someone uses a certain miracle in that spot - if you use particular miracles near them, their power is boosted. Apparently anyway; fucked if I really know
    Yeah its called synergy.
  • EMarkM 22 Jan 2014 06:37:36 3,173 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    Ok, not really sure what just happened.

I made it to a fog door. Seemed like a good place to leave it for the night. But my curiosity got the better of me.

Got killed by seath. 25k souls and 8 humanity dammit.

However, I've been sent to a new bonfire not my last one. Interesting. We'll see how this pans out tomorrow....
    This is the bit where I said, "when 'it' happens, don't worry; all will be well."
  • EMarkM 22 Jan 2014 06:38:54 3,173 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DodgyPast wrote:
    modula wrote:
    Yeah its called synergy.

I've only ever seen one of these, in over 150 hours of play, in DRG.
  • DodgyPast 22 Jan 2014 06:40:59 8,414 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Still on Duke's Archives. Have pretty much figured that area out now just need to get a clean run through to the crystal caves. Also really like the idea of elementally boosting the hell out of the insectoid crossbow.

But tempted to warp back out to piss about with new stuff.
  • robc84 22 Jan 2014 07:37:54 5,271 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So with that first seath encounter, you have to die right? Seems a bit unfair considering how many souls you get from that first section.

I agree with Bauul, strange design decision.
  • EMarkM 22 Jan 2014 07:53:45 3,173 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @robc84 Yes; there's no alternative.

Not in an attempt to excuse the developers, my take on it is that it's just one more way of the game having a vicious poke at you.

"See, I'm still a fucking twatbastard, this far in," kinda thing .
  • robc84 22 Jan 2014 08:35:40 5,271 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    To be fair, I don' think the devs really need excusing, as 99% of the time they have got it spot on. Really well designed game in general. Just a few strange ones chucked in here and there!

I think I'll just write off those souls for now and carry on. Although I think that's the most souls I've ever lost, and certainly the most humanity. I wish I had kindled that first bonfire all the way now, but didn't want to waste my humanity. The irony :-(

Generally quite enjoyed the area so far.
  • andyc1980 22 Jan 2014 09:28:26 1,085 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is any sight sweeter than the first glimpse of a new bonfire. Took two attempts to get to the Blighttown one. What the he'll was that octopus slug hybrid stuck to the wall that I killed.

Edited by andyc1980 at 09:47:13 22-01-2014
  • quadfather 22 Jan 2014 09:49:11 11,812 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Madder-Max

It can be a real kick in the face if you go to different areas at the start that youre not prepared for yet. Think of morrowind or something where you start the game and go straight into an ancestral tomb without a silver weapon. Death ensues straight away.

There is no hand holding and a lot of tough as fuck places are open straight away. The skeletons you'll batter later on so dont worry about them for now.

The white rings are when someone has used a miracle in their game when youre close by in the same location in your world. If you were to cast a miracle at the same area, your miracle would be boosted in potency.

As mentioned go up the steps to the right and try and take mobs on one at a time, locking onto them with your shield up. Eventually you'll get to the Undead Burg. This is where you want to be. Try and find the bonfire there to use it as your next checkpoint and then you can start working on that area. And have a good look around. There are hidden rooms that have important things and people in.

Try not to kill NPCs for now as most are helpful and a lot are merchants. Though the guy you killed at firelink isnt a major biggie - he's a twat anyway.

Also get a shield that has 100% damage protection - that will help absorb all the enemies attack via your stamina instead of stamina and your health

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• quadfather 22 Jan 2014 10:12:45 11,812 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Madder-max - this might help -

Welcome, welcome, welcome!

Starting character?

Depends, isn’t it. How do you want to play? Slow, with heavy weapons and armour, hitting less often, but for more damage? Nimble, with fast medium-damaging weapons and less armour?

Completely magic focused with a pointy stick? Faith based miracle spamming?

Or a mish mash of all available?

Some of the builds benefit from a bit of both. For instance, you could start with a thief or a wanderer, concentrate on dex for your main core skill, and then also have some intelligence for magic buffs or faith for some protective miracles.

Same applies for strength + intelligence, or strength + faith.

I wouldn’t worry too much to begin with though, as it sounds like you need to get your head round the souls games again.

So pick something you like to start with and follow some basics:-

1) Get a shield that does 100% physical damage blocking as soon as you can
    2) And use it all the time when fighting. Lock onto enemies, shield up, let them hit your shield, you counter hit. Repeat till comfortable.
    3) Take it very easy and try and stay calm at all times if possible
    4) If you want to practice backstabbing, make sure you drop your shield before attempting it.
    5) Kick ‘turtles’. Turtles are mobs (or players) that have their shield up all the time. Kicking them will stagger them and open them up, enabling you to get a hit in.
    6) Try not to pull more than 1 mob at a time
    7) *Don’t* be tempted by shiny objects in hard to reach places / places looming over a deadly drop. (See Matmans recent post in the depths for an example :)) Wait till you’re more comfortable
    8) Don’t worry about dying. You will die. A lot. It’s part of the game.
    9) The single most important stat for 99% of the builds is endurance. It governs how long you can run for, your maximum roll speed, how much damage you can block with your shield, and, er, possibly something else.
    10) The second most important stat is probably your core skill, closely followed by vitality (imo)
    11) Upgraded weapons increase their potency quickly. You only have to upgrade a weapon a few times to notice a pleasing improvement
    12) Go into the options and turn off “Auto camera recovery”. Just do it 
    13) Don’t waste humanity if you come across it. Save it and check the guide below about humanity
    14) Same with anything you’re not 100% on – don’t hastily consume things as like Demon’s souls, it can cost you greatly in the long run
    15) If you come across a fog door, there’s a 50% chance there’s a massive boss behind it. So it might be worth spending your souls at a bonfire before attempting it.
    16) Not forgetting of course, that when you rest at a bonfire, you get all your estus (health flask) renewed (and spells, and pyromancies etc), at the cost of the majority of enemies respawning again.
    17) When you rest at a bonfire, it will renew your current maximum estus, which is 5 (Except for a few, like the starting area in Firelink Shrine which gives you 10). To increase this, read the below humanity guide as it involves that item.
    18) You’ll come across items called, “Soul of an undead warrior” and similar ones with different names. These are effectively currency, but they are inventory items, as opposed to the souls you amass whilst fighting. Whereas you lose your amassed souls when dying in your bloodstain (And only have 1 more chance to get them back without dying again, or they’re lost forever), the soul inventory items stay in your inventory upon death. So use these when at a bonfire to help boost your soul count to reach the required amount to level up/upgrade weapon etc
    19) Most importantly, and I cannot stress this enough – Have Fun!

We look forward to hearing your tales of woe, frustration and comedy deaths :)

Humanity guide –

Types

Type 1 - Humanity item

These are the items that you find in the game world, and are stored as an item in your inventory along with your other consumables.

If you use one, you will fully restore you HP, and you will increase your humanity stat (top left, to the left of your health and stamina) by 1.

Type 2 - Soft Humanity

This is the measurement of your current tally of humanity, which you can check by looking at that figure in the top left next to your health and stamina. When you start, it will be 00.

Acquiring

You can get humanity type 1 by:-

1) Killing bosses
    2) Killing rats (high ish drop rate)
    3) Buying limited amounts by various npc's.

You can get humanity type 2 by:-

1) Consuming humanity item
    2) Kill enemies in an area where you haven't killed the boss. Up to 10. Takes a while.
    3) Kill an invading Darkwraith, or players invading you with a cracked red eye orb, or black phantom npc's.

Use

1) Revive to human form at a bonfire
    2) Kindle a bonfire so you get more estus flasks when resting at it (v. useful. Firelink shrine always gives you 10. But most others only give you 5 until you kindle them. Later on you can raise this limit)
    3) The more soft humanity you have 'active' so to speak, the more benefits you get. For instance, it will increase your defenses. It also increases damage with certain weapons, especially chaos weapons. (up to 10 humanity)
    4) It increases your item discovery rate, enabling you to farm/find items more effectively
    5) Increases curse resistance
    6) Some covenants require donations of humanity in order to progress through their ranks

Also bear in mind that using humanity to enable you to kindle a bonfire will put you in human form. If you are in human form, you can be invaded (assuming you're online)

I think that's about it, but I may have missed some bits and bobs

Feel free to ask any questions – we all did, which is why this bloody thread is massive now!

• robc84 22 Jan 2014 10:15:59 5,271 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    How many times have you posted that now quad? :)
  • quadfather 22 Jan 2014 10:18:34 11,812 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's a document in progress. It started as just the humanity guide which I have as a word doc, but as theres so many new starters ive added in the numerical tips. Its getting quite large now :)

• Architect_z 22 Jan 2014 10:22:25 2,374 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Lol you'll soon be a Dark Souls wiki member
  • AcidSnake 22 Jan 2014 10:23:37 7,214 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @quadfather:
    It's a very good guide but could you possibly add a snippet where we explain that the run button also lets you slide down ladders and is actually also the "jump" button?

Took me hours to stumble upon the "jump" input...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• quadfather 22 Jan 2014 10:26:10 11,812 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah I will. In fact my boss isnt in today so I'll add some more stuff to it. Any extras? Post em in here and I'll add them all. Might as well get everyone up and running ready for dark souls 2.

• robc84 22 Jan 2014 10:26:58 5,271 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    explain that the run button also lets you slide down ladders
    I'm never going to live that one down am I? :-(
  • quadfather 22 Jan 2014 10:31:03 11,812 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    AcidSnake wrote:
    Welcome to the cursed party, pal :)

• AcidSnake 22 Jan 2014 10:39:21 7,214 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Haha, rookie mistakes...

Other things to include...
    - Stamina recovers faster if you drop your guard
    - Summoned human phantoms cannot normally regain health, if you see they're running low or have just been smacked to the ground and could be killed take a swig of your estus as this will heal them as well...
    - This game does not pause! Hitting start does not make it OK to get a drink or go to the loo...Enemies in range will attack you if aggro'd and you can be invaded at all times (though not all areas)

Also another way of acquiring Type 2 humanity would be letting yourself be summoned and helping another player defeat a boss...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Mr_Sleep 22 Jan 2014 10:59:01 16,838 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The jump timing was so hit and miss for me for ages, I just couldn't get the timing, the bit near Firelink with the shiney at the back caused me so much death! Now I'm very confident when I fling myself off an edge.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Mr_Sleep 22 Jan 2014 11:06:23 16,838 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Quaddy, it's worth adding something about the repair and upgrade items you can buy from Uchigatana merchant bloke as it's worth spending the souls early on that as it saves lots of trips and stuff.

You are a factory of sadness.

• DodgyPast 22 Jan 2014 11:22:10 8,414 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    AcidSnake wrote:
    I'll add that I only Googled it when I realised that I'd struggle to get down to the hydra alive.
  • quadfather 22 Jan 2014 11:24:09 11,812 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nice one chaps, I'll get writing

• AcidSnake 22 Jan 2014 11:26:57 7,214 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DodgyPast wrote:
    robc84 wrote:
    AcidSnake wrote:
    I'll add that I only Googled it when I realised that I'd struggle to get down to the hydra alive.
    You went past the damn catthings to get to the Hydra?...Brave man...

• DodgyPast 22 Jan 2014 11:41:30 8,414 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @AcidSnake

There was quite a long break between the cat things and the hydra including the rusted ring

I bought the crest quite early and used the forest guys quite heavily for farming and combat practice.
  • Page

of 1193 First / Last