Dark Souls Page 1008

• Page

of 1190 First / Last

• crashVoodoo 19 Dec 2013 01:36:59 3,821 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've had a productive night considering I've been away for over a week.

Capra down and descended into the depths. Took down Pat (butcher) and dropped down a hole in the floor behind him to find a giant rat and a shield (spider).   Firebombed the giant rat and explored the area collecting every soul I could find.

Finally got me a new ring. Can't remember what it does or what it's called though. I will say that the frogs freak me out with them big eyes and fart clouds.

What else....  Oh yeah face to face with gaping maw of a massive dragon, designed by a disturbed person for sure.

Traipsed back to firelink and spoke to the sorcerer and pyro guys that I found. Upgraded my flames to 5 I think. Picked up combustion too, like that a lot.

Exploring firelink and curled up in the birds nest.  Ended up back at the asylum. That place has changed slightly, guards have improved a bit I'd say and FFS I shit myself when the floor gave way. Got a rusty ring now and a dolly. I'll work out what they do later.

Couldn't find anything else so I've returned to firelink and ventured back to the blacksmith to upgrade my katana, +4 now,  wish I'd not dumped so many shards into my axe.

Trying to find blighty now,  is it through this garden place? I've took on some bronze warriors who cast a spell on you.  They're annoying and a giant butterfly.  That's annoying too as you can't really avoid the attacks.

Anyways that's where I am now,  think I've gotta grind to buy the key from the Smith for that door in the forest which I hope leads to blight town?

/should get blog

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• crashVoodoo 19 Dec 2013 01:40:43 3,821 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Quick question, what to titanate chunks do.  I've got loads but it's shards I need for weapons and armour.

I ought to farm a bit and upgrade some armour.

• crashVoodoo 19 Dec 2013 01:40:45 3,821 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Quick question, what to titanate chunks do.  I've got loads but it's shards I need for weapons and armour.

I ought to farm a bit and upgrade some armour.

• Mola_Ram 19 Dec 2013 01:44:53 6,217 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Titanite chunks are for crystal weapons, and for getting normal weapons past +10 (I think).

So yeah, you won't need them for a while. Once you get past Blighttown and back to Firelink, you'll find a character who can break them down into shards for you.
  • Mola_Ram 19 Dec 2013 01:45:54 6,217 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Oh, and you can get lots of large shards from leeches. There will be many of those where you are going.
  • robc84 19 Dec 2013 05:42:34 4,347 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @crashVoodoo Nice work crash. To do the asylum at your level is impressive. Did you beat stray demon? If so, hats off to you, that really is impressive.

Re blighty, have you defeated gaping dragon (depths boss)?

Did you manage to defeat moonlight butterfly in the end?
  • EMarkM 19 Dec 2013 06:46:52 3,133 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @robc84 Stray's AOE attack is magic. Spend the whole fight behind him, close up. When you see the magic guff starting, raise your, preferably magic-proof, shield and back off a couple of yards. Then close back in for more attacks.

I had something like thirty goes at this boss. The day I beat him, being yesterday, I got him on my second attempt.

Reward is worth it.
  • robc84 19 Dec 2013 06:47:33 4,347 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan

Oh right I'll try that thanks. Hopefully I can inflict some bleeding damage with my iaito :D
  • EMarkM 19 Dec 2013 06:54:58 3,133 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @crashVoodoo You're doing really well.

Don't worry about previously "wasted" shards. You'll have more than you'll ever need soon. Keep the other forms of titanite you find (chunks, slabs, coloured, etc.) as you will be BEGGING for more of these very soon.

As Rob says, beating Ole Gapey is the "key" to finding Blighttown. (Ahem.)

Your new ring will be most useful when you get to a certain part of it. There's a place in the Depths where you can try it out first (read the ring's description carefully).

There is another way to Blighttown, but it's not via the Garden, and relies upon you opening something. You may or may not have the means to do this, depending upon your character choices at the beginning of the game.

Good luck.

You're going to need it...
  • robc84 19 Dec 2013 07:23:57 4,347 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I have quite a few coloured chunks and am thinking of experimenting with some different upgrade paths. Not sure which weapons to use though. Candidates are shotel, falchion, scimtar (currently +4), rapier (normal and ricards) and winged spear. Possibly also some others that I have forgotten. Mark said something about potentially needing a divine weapon at some point. Maybe I'll go down that path.

Oh and I spoke to the creature at firelink and can now 'sell' my umwanted stuff (nom nom). So far I have only sold duplicates, but is there any reason why I shouldn't sell weapons I will not use such as zweihander (sorry lb) and other str based weapons for example. Can I pick them up again in ng+ if I need them?
  • EMarkM 19 Dec 2013 07:36:41 3,133 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @robc84 Don't know about NG+. When I first met our hungry friend, I did give away a few unique items that I was sure* I would never use. What can I say? I was desperate, just like when I used Amazing Chest's soul :(

These days I always establish that items are genuinely non-unique before getting rid.

As for non-standard upgrades, in my experience, whether for a weapon or a shield, the trade-off in basic performance (physical damage or stability) means that it is not usually worth it.

Most creatures and bosses don't have a significant weakness to an element. It's more like they just have slightly less resistance to one sometimes. Most things are weak to pure physical damage, however. Shield stability is far more important than extra elemental protection, in my opinion, and I don't use my shield for attacks. (It took me a good few sessions to realise that it's the right hand side of the shield's stat page that is the most important bit!)

Divine is an exception. From what André keeps saying, I imagine it will be critical in a later area.

(*No longer sure :( )
  • crashVoodoo 19 Dec 2013 07:59:19 3,821 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @robc84 @EMarkM thanks. I didn't beat the stray demon,  because he handed me my ass in seconds. I go in again though but only to grab my souls and humanity and homeward boned immediately ;-)  TBH going there was an accident in exploration.

I've beaten the gaping dragon which actually was surprisingly easy as there is so much space.  Wasn't prepared for the run like hell moment when he spews acid/bile everywhere as I shat my self. I have the key for blighty.

I've also beaten the giant butterfly although a don't remember a drop from it apart from about 10k souls. I got another divine ember at the top near the Smith but he's just kneeling and doesn't do anything.

Current stats are level 37 (iirc) after about 15 hours (also iirc)
    Vit 17 --- putting most upgrade points here now
    End 28 or 29
    Strength 16
    Dex 17 and everything else on default for pro guy.

Hollow soldier helm
    Balder armour
    Balder gloves
    Heavy boots
    Balder shield
    Katana

Just realised I haven't upgraded any armour only my battle axe, previous eagle shield and now my katana.

Any advice, don't want look at a wiki for advice cos I'm likely to see spoilers.

/edit spoiling spoilers hidden

Edited by crashVoodoo at 08:05:27 19-12-2013

• EMarkM 19 Dec 2013 08:07:52 3,133 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @crashVoodoo OK.

Any embers you get, give them to André (Undead Parish blacksmith). It will enable him to offer you more services.

As for your Depths key, it is to be used not far from where you obtained it. Remember a weird merchant down there, through some gates?

Moony only drops souls and its own special soul as far as I remember.

Upgrade your gear as a priority over levelling up for a bit now, but when you do start levelling again, concentrate on either Dex or Str (NOT both). Take a look at your play style, and which of these two stats your favourite weapons scale the most with, and level that one stat. Ratings are S (best), A, B, C, and so-on.

Understanding this is critical to improving your damage.

HTH.

Use us, not wikis/walkthroughs, as you say :)

Edit: after taking on Gapey, did you examine your gear for damage? Get into the habit of repairing it at every bonfire (or smith if you don't have the repair box yet - on that subject, get all the boxes!) visit. It will only cost pennies this way, not huge chunks at a time.

Edited by EMarkM at 08:11:39 19-12-2013
  • retro74 19 Dec 2013 08:14:25 141 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @robc84 you can pick everything up again in NG+ if you accidentally get rid of something. I tend to keep 1 of everything but eventually you end up with hundreds of hollow soldier helms etc
  • crashVoodoo 19 Dec 2013 08:27:54 3,821 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @EMarkM hah, I remember that locked door near the peddler.  Still the locked door in the forest has me intrigued. I need to explore and rinse each area before moving on.

I have the repair box and regular repair my gear and I've also got a bottomless box to tidy my inventory up. I'm preferring light a nimble with my katana at the moment.

Don't like too many things equipped like some elite armour I found otherwise I'm like a lumbering sloth.  All that said, swinging a zweihander around uncontrollably is rather satisfying :-)

Edited by crashVoodoo at 08:36:55 19-12-2013

• robc84 19 Dec 2013 08:48:59 4,347 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @crashVoodoo

As Mark says, Strength or Dex. A bit of Vit and some End too. On top of that there is personal preference as to how many spell slots you want, what spells / equipment you want to use etc.

I understand the need to explore every area, I'm the same. But there is plenty of opportunities to return later. For example, I have not done the door in the forest yet!

Edit: Just re-read, and I didn't mean to sound like I'm telling you not to explore every area. There seems to be no right way to go, so explore away. But Blighty is next step to progress the story. You'll have fun in there :-)

Edited by robc84 at 08:51:47 19-12-2013
  • EMarkM 19 Dec 2013 08:54:43 3,133 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @crashVoodoo Heh, you're on the right lines.

If, like me, you prefer a nimble, stealthy character, take a look at your Equip Load stat. This comes in important blocks. Over 75% and you resemble my long-dead grandma at a 1992 rave, and not in a good way. Between 50 and 75%, it's more like watching my boss attempt the Can Can.

Less than 25% is where we want to be: highly mobile and the fastest roll available. Essential for evasion.

As for clearing each area before moving on, you kind-of don't. It's genuinely open world, in the same way that Fallout 3 was. In other words, you can get to some areas too early if you're not careful.

Not that I'm trying to put you off. By all means have fun frolicking in the Garden. But don't feel you have to "complete" that area first, just because you found it first :)
  • EMarkM 19 Dec 2013 08:56:04 3,133 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Or what Rob said, better than I!
  • robc84 19 Dec 2013 09:00:28 4,347 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    EMarkM wrote:
    Or what Rob said, better than I!
    Not sure about that. I like your analogies regarding movement and rolling :)
  • crashVoodoo 19 Dec 2013 09:03:27 3,821 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    EMarkM wrote:
    @crashVoodoo Heh, you're on the right lines.

If, like me, you prefer a nimble, stealthy character, take a look at your Equip Load stat. This comes in important blocks. Over 75% and you resemble my long-dead grandma at a 1992 rave, and not in a good way. Between 50 and 75%, it's more like watching my boss attempt the Can Can.

Less than 25% is where we want to be: highly mobile and the fastest roll available. Essential for evasion.
    Perfect.  I knew there we're some thresholds. That 25 is where I like it.  Might put off story progression for my next game and get my 'old macdonald' on and actually start upgrading some things.

• EMarkM 19 Dec 2013 09:03:43 3,133 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @robc84 Starting to feel like a veteran yet? We need to get this damned game finished once so we can join the Elite :)
  • EMarkM 19 Dec 2013 09:04:16 3,133 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @crashVoodoo Good man.
  • robc84 19 Dec 2013 09:09:39 4,347 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @EMarkM Not sure about being a veteran! Think I'll have to complete at least once. But at least we can take the strain off of the vets and give advice about the early game and some basic tips etc. They must be sick of us n00bs by now!
  • robc84 19 Dec 2013 09:19:22 4,347 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just looking at Crash's posts - can you use the zweihander at 16 strength? It says 24 or something right? Or is it less as it is always two handed?
  • Mr_Sleep 19 Dec 2013 09:23:32 16,236 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    We get to be all mysterious about what's coming up still, like I can say that I've never laughed so much at a characters name in a game.

With regards of titanite, you may feel like you have a lot of it but as the upgrading is also incremental in the use of the titanite you soon blast through it. I currently have a +13 Zweihander and now I have to farm for titanite chunks to upgrade it further but there aren't that many consistent drops for the chunks.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Mr_Sleep 19 Dec 2013 09:25:33 16,236 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    Just looking at Crash's posts - can you use the zweihander at 16 strength? It says 24 or something right? Or is it less as it is always two handed?
    Yeah, you can two hand stuff even when you don't have the stats to match it. This method will only work for a while, you definitely need a shield for blighttown, it's near impossible without one.

• robc84 19 Dec 2013 09:43:23 4,347 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep I always prefer a shield, but I've heard a lot of fuss about this zweihander so I may try it out for a bit.
  • EMarkM 19 Dec 2013 09:45:36 3,133 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @robc84 BSS is the truth. Heed no other!
  • robc84 19 Dec 2013 09:47:19 4,347 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'd never use it as my main weapon, I just want to see what all the fuss is about!
  • Mr_Sleep 19 Dec 2013 09:50:36 16,236 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    @Mr_Sleep I always prefer a shield, but I've heard a lot of fuss about this zweihander so I may try it out for a bit.
    It's definitely better to wait until you have the stats. Getting enough strength to wield the Zweihander doesn't take too much effort and it is still my favourite weapon out of all.

By the way, are you both familiar with two handing your weapon for extra damage? It can make some boss fights slightly easier. I find against certain enemies that the extra damage inflicted makes for a shorter fight and thus they have less chance to catch you out. It does lead to some comedy deaths but it can be very effective.

• Page

of 1190 First / Last