Dark Souls Page 2

• Page

of 1210 First / Last

• King_Edward 17 Sep 2010 23:55:18 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    There's a trailer from TGS up on YouTube.

Hopefully a version of the trailer with better sound turns up. You can see the game is definitely from the same bloodline as Demon's Souls in terms of looks at least. No 360 logo at the end of the trailer so I guess it's possible it's exclusive in Japan at least.

Looks like the PS3 version is the one getting the developer's attention so if anybody gets a bad port it won't be PS3 owners for a change.

I believe Sony made the announcement, so the 360 logo would be unlikely to appear. No mention of Namco either btw.

I hope you can get the fluted armour in this.
  • Cappy 18 Sep 2010 00:30:19 12,024 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It seems to have been confirmed as exclusive to the PS3 in the Asian region.

Like Demon's Souls it's being developed using Sony's Phyre Engine so the two games will share a bit of code. Any recognisable Demon's Souls characters or assets will have to go though, no Maiden in Black, Patches etc. :(

An intriguing trailer, stranger than Demon's Souls perhaps if the characters camped out around the fire are any indication.
  • King_Edward 18 Sep 2010 01:20:47 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Maybe they could do the fluted armour as a PS3 exclusive item?

I didn't realise Demon's Souls used the Phyre Engine. Most things that use it are small PSN titles, I'm surprised it could make a game as pretty as Demon's Souls.

Namco being involved still has me worried though. They pretty much wrote the book on screwing their userbase this gen.
  • Rauha 18 Sep 2010 03:07:05 4,271 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    Maybe they could do the fluted armour as a PS3 exclusive item?

I didn't realise Demon's Souls used the Phyre Engine. Most things that use it are small PSN titles, I'm surprised it could make a game as pretty as Demon's Souls.

Namco being involved still has me worried though. They pretty much wrote the book on screwing their userbase this gen.

Actually most of the JRPGs released exclusively for PS3 use Phyre Engine: Trinity Universe, Last Rebellion, Atelier Rorona, Totori, Cross Edge and Neptune. It's odd though because you wouldn't think those games run on the same engine as Demon's Souls, ACE:R and Flower.

That trailer could pass as a trailer for the mysterious 6th Demon's Souls world :p Spiritual successor to a game which was a spiritual successor to another game; oh Japan.
  • Deleted user 18 September 2010 03:58:10
    I saw some gameplay of this and I must say, while the screens hinted at awesome, it looks completely shit. ; )
  • Deleted user 18 September 2010 07:12:03
    Kenshin001 wrote:
    I saw some gameplay of this and I must say, while the screens hinted at awesome, it looks completely shit. ; )

Are you talking about Demon's Souls or the new trailer linked above, cause it looks pretty damn tasty to me.

@Rauha Yeah its odd how they are so stop and start, must lose fans who don't follow things too closely. I've not seen anything about Armored Core 5 at the show yet but guess its due before Project Dark.

I really hope this is a long term thing with Namco Bandai as From Software could do some cool other stuff with them, action games like Otogi or Echo Night style survival horror.
  • King_Edward 18 Sep 2010 08:03:58 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Kenshin001 wrote:
    I'm getting the oddest feeling of de ja vu. :)
  • Rauha 18 Sep 2010 11:05:00 4,271 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    An Otogi sequel may have to be done under a deal with Sega VS; I think they own the license.
  • Cappy 18 Sep 2010 15:25:09 12,024 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fingers crossed for English text in the Asian version like Demon's Souls.

That way we can play the game without having to wait 6 to 12 months whilst Namco Bandai port to the 360 and complete the localisation for a Western version.
  • Rauha 8 Dec 2010 00:22:04 4,271 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    From Software announced a spiritual successor to Demonís Souls called Project Dark at Tokyo Game Show. Namco Bandai will publish the game in North America and Europe, but not under the name Project Dark. Thatís a temporary title.

Digging through Japanís trademark database we found two possible titles for Project Dark, Dark Rings and Crowns of the Dark. Both were filed by Namco Bandai.

Namco Bandai, possibly to confuse me and others that look up trademarks, tend to register multiple names for one game. HmmÖ Dark Rings or Crowns of the DarkÖ I donít know which one I like more. How about you?
    - Siliconera

Crowns of the Dark >>> Dark Rings :D
  • Deleted user 8 December 2010 08:42:59
    I'm going with Endless kNights: Dark Rings Around The Eyes. ;)
  • Jazzy_Geoff 8 Dec 2010 08:48:12 7,767 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ring Piece.
  • Rauha 17 Dec 2010 08:43:53 4,271 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Those Dark Rings and Crowns of the Dark trademarks may have been red herrings. We just uncovered a trademark filed by Namco Bandai in Europe for Dark Souls. Namco Bandai registered Dark Souls, but skipped the other two potential titles found in Japan.

Dark Souls is either another contender for Project Darkís official name or a sign that weíre going to see a lot of dark games from Namco Bandai in 2011.
    - Siliconera
  • Rauha 17 Dec 2010 08:44:26 4,271 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dark Souls sounds more like it.
  • Cappy 17 Dec 2010 08:52:47 12,024 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dark Souls would really be taking the piss. Namco Bandai's involvement is worrying to say the least, hopefully From Soft are being left alone to work on the Japanese PS3 version without interference from them.

It sounds like their focus group testing was what dragged Majin down.
  • Rauha 17 Dec 2010 09:05:22 4,271 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Any name suggestions Cappy?
  • Rauha 17 Dec 2010 09:07:02 4,271 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Maybe it's Namcos super secret plan to create a 'souls' franchise to accompany their dying 'Tales of' franchise?

• Cappy 17 Dec 2010 09:22:12 12,024 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Without seeing more of the game it's difficult to hang a name on it.

Calling it Dark Souls would be a bit cheeky, Namco Bandai have jumped in and snatched away a followup to Demon's Souls, then they possibly want to riff on the 'souls' part of the title to try and associate it with Demon's Souls and Sony's IP.

It's like Bungie suddenly making a Sci-Fi FPS for PS3 and 360 called Haloest that looks very familiar indeed.
  • Rauha 17 Dec 2010 09:24:04 4,271 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Crowns of the Dark; I actually quite like that.
  • figgis 17 Dec 2010 09:41:42 7,376 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Our Souls
  • Rauha 17 Dec 2010 13:52:47 4,271 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    des wrote:
    It's a sequel to Demon's Souls so it will have either demons or souls in its title.For various reasons obviously...

But it's not really a sequel ;)
  • HiddenAway 1 Feb 2011 06:52:36 14,918 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Official name is Dark Souls. Details from Famitsu this week (via NeoGAF):

- This is the official title of what was previously Project Dark

- This time they want to increase the amount of field exploration in the game.
    - All fields are seamless, so whatever you can see, you can reach and explore. If you see a fortress or castle walls in the distance, you can eventually get there.
    - There will be no map display in the game, just a position display marker.

- They aim to make the game just as challenging than Demon's Souls, but also just as rewarding when you succeed. The sense of achievement is important.

- The gameplay will be similar to Demon's Souls in concept, where it's about trial and error and learning from your mistakes to play better.

- The game does not share the same world and story as Demon's Souls.
    - The game will not use the same format as Demon's Souls in terms of having 5 worlds connected via a hub.

- Instead all maps in the game will be linked seamlessly in a connected world. The pace of the game will feel more about exploration and discovering locations, which you can then go inside into a dungeon or whatever and explore the interior further.
    - There will be more complex level designs in the game using more vertical design in areas and such.

- The world setting is based on medieval dark fantasy, and will contain themes like "high fantasy of kings and knights", "death and the depths of the earth", and "the flames of chaos".

- The character creation process will not be class based.
    - The play style of the player character will have much more freedom this time.
    - There will be many more spells and items, and the animation and uniqueness of weapons will also be increased.

- The online elements are very similar to Demon's Souls. There is cooperative and PvP.
    - You can still leave messages, and see players who died at various places.
    - There will be no Soul Tendency this time because they don't want to have to use dedicated servers to handle that shit again.
    - Instead this time there will be more features allowing players to engage in "mutual role playing" which they say are still under wraps. They'll reveal more when it's time.

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• Garlvinlandblueblood 1 Feb 2011 08:15:46 430 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ooh, thanks for posting. Sounds good.
  • King_Edward 1 Feb 2011 08:19:30 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sweet. Please don't bugger this up Namco.
  • Blerk Moderator 1 Feb 2011 08:47:46 48,225 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sounds like Demons Souls crossed with Oblivion. This is still multiplatform, right?
  • Deleted user 1 February 2011 08:50:50
    Bandai Namco, for all our criticism of them really seem intend on turning it around and winning back fans with the moves they are making. They've also confirmed they are publishing From Software's Armored Core 5 internationally (will make a thread).

Dark Souls sounds incredible, especially the talk of far more animations and properties for the weapons, the one area that DS was lacking. But they've also come up with a bunch of amazing new ideas to expand on all that was good and great about Demon's Souls.
  • King_Edward 1 Feb 2011 09:34:58 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This and AC5 are definitely the sort of thing they can do to win me over. Shit like Enslaved I can do without.
  • andywilkie35 1 Feb 2011 09:39:33 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sounds absolutely superb.

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Machetazo 1 Feb 2011 09:40:10 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Excellent news, in both cases! I hope AC5 is technically and in terms of performance, sound this time. But, I am most looking forward to Dark Souls (which I can now see, is probably not the Cursed Crusade)
  • Page

of 1210 First / Last