of 1218 First / Last

• EMarkM 1 Nov 2013 23:09:09 3,432 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Dr_Mech Heh. Story of my game so far.
  • the_dudefather 2 Nov 2013 01:13:58 9,418 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks for the tips guys, Nito and the 4 kings have now been sent on a long holiday

now using:
    +12 Zwei (until I get more titanite)
    Max Pyromancy
    Greatshield of Artorias

Up to the Duke's archives next I think

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• quadfather 2 Nov 2013 10:14:45 13,377 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dr_Mech wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    Im on a bit of a local pub pissup because my trip out to town was cancelled. So I've been telling myself that I'll have "a couple of beers" and then go and play dark souls

And I'm at the anor archers when I get back

We can all see what's going to happen can't we
    Remember to click on this button every single time the Archers or someone else smashes you into the pits of oblivion due to your drunken mishaps.

Also I appear to be a glutton for punishment, I've restarted my Fist weapon (this time not the actually pretty decent claw but the shitty Caestus and Dragon bone fist) + shield run (because fuck doing a fist weapons only build, I beat Smough and Ornstein solo, I think that proves enough of a point for me not to go through the whole painful process again...)
    a) I didn't even make it onto dark souls, never mind the archers

and

b) That sad trombone is fantastic!

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• puddleduck 2 Nov 2013 11:24:18 1,854 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So, thinking I might have yet another run through this. Seeing as I've not completed a game since I platinumed this almost a year ago.

Any suggestions for leftfield builds? Thinking either fists only, daggers only, SL1 again, or maybe wooden and naked.
  • quadfather 2 Nov 2013 11:25:58 13,377 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @puddleduck - Coo, haven't seen you for a while :)

Talk to Dr Mech about fist runs - I think he's just resurrected one

I'm still running through builds - strength character but with high mobility. Bit of a strange one

You play the ds2 beta?

• quadfather 2 Nov 2013 11:26:37 13,377 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    fist runs

Probably could have used a better choice of words there

• FuzzyDuck 2 Nov 2013 11:29:14 4,905 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Huzzah chaps, it's like a reunion in here!

I'm also tempted to start anew at this (maybe going for a build more akin to my Demon's Souls build that what I was using in Dark) and finally get around to playing the DLC (despite owning it since launch).
  • puddleduck 2 Nov 2013 11:33:05 1,854 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fist runs. *giggle*

Yeah work has been mentally busy over the last 6 months. Bastards.

Didn't get to play the DS2 beta, which I think I'm fine with seeing as I'm happy to experience every step afresh like Demons and Dark! Oh to erase my gaming memory and play them both again.
  • quadfather 2 Nov 2013 11:42:43 13,377 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well, there's another beta on the 10th Nov, between 7am - 10am if you fancy a look. I'd highly recommend it - it's just long enough to get to you to want to play it to death, and then it stops! It's a right tease. Looking good too.

And you'll be ever so pleased to know that the overbearing sense of dread when you're carrying souls and have no idea where the next bonfire is, is all present and correct :)

@Fuzzyduck - you should really have a bash at the DLC. I reckon it'll surprise you :)

• DodgyPast 2 Nov 2013 16:00:02 8,538 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @quadfather Dark Souls is still doing that for me :-D

With the same from Demon Soul's to come.

Edited by DodgyPast at 16:01:10 02-11-2013
  • Dr_Mech 2 Nov 2013 16:13:46 1,050 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    puddleduck wrote:
    So, thinking I might have yet another run through this. Seeing as I've not completed a game since I platinumed this almost a year ago.

Any suggestions for leftfield builds? Thinking either fists only, daggers only, SL1 again, or maybe wooden and naked.
    1) Fists only: If you do this, go for the claw, it is actually a pretty decent weapon, hits for ok damage, has bigger reach than the other fist weapons (about on par with the dagger) and the bleed effect will help a lot on some bosses.

In order to get it early you need quick access to the Forest Hunters, which can be done one of two ways.
    A) Make a mad dash past the hydra towards the ladder in Darkroot basin, you WILL die a lot trying this but it doesn't cost 20k souls.

B) Use the back route into Undead Parish (down to new londo, then through the valley of the drakes, up into Darkroot Basin then from there into Undead Parish), collect all the soul items on the way. Then from there work your way backwards towards Undeadburg drop down at the shortcut (where you kick the ladder down) and then progress as if you'd just come from Firelink.

This will give you enough souls once you reach Andre again to buy the Crest, go speak with Alvina, then Shiva, now go to blighttown (take the back route in) and buy a pair of claws off of Shiva.

I'd recommend a Dex/Int build with Int at 25 (use the Oolicle Ivory catalyst you can buy after rescuing dusk) and using Crystal Magic weapon.

2) Soul Level 1:
    I'm sure you know how this goes, go buy reinforced club from the undead merchant, go get the rusted iron ring from the Asylum, farm up 10 green titanite shards from the leeches in blight town (pop all your humanity for this, you'll earn more later anyway). Do several suicide runs until you get to the blacksmith in the Catacombs, make your weapon a +5 Fire reinforced club but also make sure to upgrade another item to +10 so that you can have one lightning weapon for when the bosses are immune to fire (or in the case of Queelag a simple +10 weapon will do).

Now there is a little trick here, if you equip the Ring of Favour and Protection and Havel's ring you can medium roll in the armour setup of Black Iron helm and gloves and Steel chest and legs. Once fully upgraded this combination offers more physical protection (but less poise and magical protection) than the stone set at like half the weight.
  • King_Edward 2 Nov 2013 16:26:59 11,471 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Lv.1 naked boxer run is the only manly way to play.
  • quadfather 2 Nov 2013 17:43:08 13,377 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DodgyPast wrote:
    @quadfather Dark Souls is still doing that for me :-D

With the same from Demon Soul's to come.
    That's a very special time to be appreciated :)

• quadfather 2 Nov 2013 17:44:11 13,377 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dr_Mech wrote:
    puddleduck wrote:

1) Fists only: If you do this, go for the claw, it is actually a pretty decent weapon, hits for ok damage, has bigger reach than the other fist weapons (about on par with the dagger) and the bleed effect will help a lot on some bosses.

In order to get it early you need quick access to the Forest Hunters, which can be done one of two ways.
    A) Make a mad dash past the hydra towards the ladder in Darkroot basin, you WILL die a lot trying this but it doesn't cost 20k souls.

B) Use the back route into Undead Parish (down to new londo, then through the valley of the drakes, up into Darkroot Basin then from there into Undead Parish), collect all the soul items on the way. Then from there work your way backwards towards Undeadburg drop down at the shortcut (where you kick the ladder down) and then progress as if you'd just come from Firelink.

This will give you enough souls once you reach Andre again to buy the Crest, go speak with Alvina, then Shiva, now go to blighttown (take the back route in) and buy a pair of claws off of Shiva.

I'd recommend a Dex/Int build with Int at 25 (use the Oolicle Ivory catalyst you can buy after rescuing dusk) and using Crystal Magic weapon.

2) Soul Level 1:
    I'm sure you know how this goes, go buy reinforced club from the undead merchant, go get the rusted iron ring from the Asylum, farm up 10 green titanite shards from the leeches in blight town (pop all your humanity for this, you'll earn more later anyway). Do several suicide runs until you get to the blacksmith in the Catacombs, make your weapon a +5 Fire reinforced club but also make sure to upgrade another item to +10 so that you can have one lightning weapon for when the bosses are immune to fire (or in the case of Queelag a simple +10 weapon will do).

Now there is a little trick here, if you equip the Ring of Favour and Protection and Havel's ring you can medium roll in the armour setup of Black Iron helm and gloves and Steel chest and legs. Once fully upgraded this combination offers more physical protection (but less poise and magical protection) than the stone set at like half the weight.
    This is very interesting stuff. I'm going to have to look into this

• EMarkM 2 Nov 2013 17:57:40 3,432 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, I feel quite the neophyte amongst all you old hands, but I can proudly declare that I beat old Cappy this afternoon and from there to The Depths :)

Took me bliddin' AGES to find the bonfire, carrying over 12000 souls (erk), but I just made it, and levelled up a few times giving me something like 22 Dex, so I'm on my way.

All thanks to the advice AND encouragement on this thread. I would have forgotten the game due to its early difficulty long ago if not for you guys :)
  • Angry_Man_Dan 2 Nov 2013 19:55:54 210 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    So, I picked this up in town today - EG'S GOTG article, along with months of intrigue have pushed me over the edge. I've never played a Souls game before and I'm not a massive RPG fan in general. However, I want a game to last through till I get a PS4 hopefully next year (along with ACIV, I should be set!).

Any tips for a complete noob? I'm expecting to die. A lot. But any advice on starting build etc would be greatly appreciated!

PSN / NNID -Angry_Man_Dan
    Live - AngryManDanHD

• EMarkM 2 Nov 2013 20:08:53 3,432 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Angry_Man_Dan

1. Get a shield
    2. Stick it in front of your face
    3. ????
    4. Profit

Seriously, don't spoil your game by looking at walkthroughs. Ask here first where folks won't give too much away.

Keep your eyes open and have fun.

One. Crushingly. Slow. Step. At. A. Time .
  • SomaticSense 2 Nov 2013 20:10:41 9,147 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    EMarkM wrote:
    Well, I feel quite the neophyte amongst all you old hands, but I can proudly declare that I beat old Cappy this afternoon and from there to The Depths :)

Took me bliddin' AGES to find the bonfire, carrying over 12000 souls (erk), but I just made it, and levelled up a few times giving me something like 22 Dex, so I'm on my way.

All thanks to the advice AND encouragement on this thread. I would have forgotten the game due to its early difficulty long ago if not for you guys :)
    A lesson for everyone out there who gave up early on, not understanding what the fuss is about.
  • quadfather 2 Nov 2013 20:24:13 13,377 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    EMarkM wrote:

Sounds to me like you're getting addicted. It's good isn't it.

PS - you're fucked now btw :)

• quadfather 2 Nov 2013 20:25:00 13,377 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    @Angry_Man_Dan

Take your time and NEVER rush into any situation. Keep your shield up, mainly in tight spaces. As you're expecting to die a lot you're probably half way there with dealing what the game throws at you.

The game isn't about how powerful your armour or weapons are, they help for sure but you can still easily get your arse handed to you by the most 'trivial' of enemies if you are careless. It really boils down to timing, patience, technique and skill when in combat. You will learn from your mistakes and you will make mistakes.

The game is very rarely unfair, it wants you to learn but it will make sure it punishes you first.

As long as you have the patience you will be rewarded with an amazing experience.

Pick any build you like, it really doesn't matter that much as you can eventually mould it to be anything you want any way.
    Yeah, listen to this man

• Angry_Man_Dan 2 Nov 2013 20:25:29 210 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks for the advice guys, I think the atmosphere and general tone of the game really appeal, as does the fact that it's just different to what I would traditionally go for.

It's reputation seems to precede it, and I've browsed this thread numerous times in the past and I've seen that it is something which will reward you greatly if you have the patience for it - seems to be the perfect antidote to some of the slightly shallower gaming experiences I've had recently.

I shall be getting stuck in tomorrow morning and I'm looking forward to it. Wish me luck!

Live - AngryManDanHD

• EMarkM 2 Nov 2013 20:31:39 3,432 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:

A lesson for everyone out there who gave up early on, not understanding what the fuss is about.
    I played for a couple of weeks when I first got it at the beginning of the year.

Didn't touch it again until just a week or so ago.

It's only just clicked with me, but oh boy!
  • EMarkM 2 Nov 2013 20:32:46 3,432 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    quadfather wrote:

Sounds to me like you're getting addicted. It's good isn't it.

PS - you're fucked now btw :)
    Heh. Yeah :)
  • the_dudefather 2 Nov 2013 20:43:12 9,418 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's cool that the game just says 'hey, why not ring these two bells, something might happen' and that's pretty much all you get for objectives for most of the game

The internet information swapping in the early days was great, as people poked and prodded at the game to figure out how to get through it

'WTF I tried fighting these skeletons in the graveyard are far too tough, this is bullshit!'

Edited by the_dudefather at 20:47:01 02-11-2013

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Angry_Man_Dan 2 Nov 2013 20:47:13 210 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Goodfella Cheers man, I think that's the gist of what I what I was trying to get at - as much as I'm loving playing through ACIV at the moment, the fact that I'm getting spammed with reminders of how to do absolutely everything - constantly - is getting annoying. I've been playing AC games for 6 years, surely we've all figured out how to do a leap of faith by now?

I think going back to basics and figuring it out for myself whilst retaining that sense of wonder and exploration is part of the attraction of Dark Souls, so in that sense I can't wait

Live - AngryManDanHD

• Angry_Man_Dan 2 Nov 2013 21:12:29 210 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Goodfella Thanks, appreciate it! I'll give it the best shot I can, hope it doesn't become too off-putting too soon though.
    I guess that not having a clue is probably the best way to experience the game!

Live - AngryManDanHD

• DodgyPast 3 Nov 2013 00:05:47 8,538 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Being too precious about your first build is what put me off the first time round.

Read too much about builds before I started and it was rather intimidating because I understood almost none of it.

My first build is a mess but that's allowed me to experiment with some stuff.

Also, simply put, enjoy the journey. Enjoy slowly mastering the combat model. Enjoy the fact that enemies that were once impossible become easier and easier... Until they catch you in overconfidence :-)

Edited by DodgyPast at 02:58:47 03-11-2013
  • Page

of 1218 First / Last