Dark Souls Page 898

• Page

of 1201 First / Last

• quadfather 27 Oct 2013 10:53:25 12,129 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I have to juggle my responses to all three threads on a pretty much constant basis :)

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• quadfather 27 Oct 2013 11:00:25 12,129 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Me too. I'm hating this feeling of the memory of the last few hours fading. That sucks!

• Armoured_Bear 27 Oct 2013 11:01:45 11,201 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I tried Double Swords and really struggled with it, cool idea but in practise didn't seem to work for me but needs more experimentation.
    I then was a Sorcerer which I really liked but when surrounded by nasties it was quite a struggle :-(

I then tried Warrior which made it a bit easier but I struggled with the scythe ogre dudes.
    The lock on changes aren't as bad as I feared but the reduction in health is utterly brutal and I can't see how it's a good idea tbh.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• quadfather 27 Oct 2013 11:06:31 12,129 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I didn't actually notice the reduction in health. Though I did the same as you - Dual swordsman, and couldn't get on with it at the start, then tried soldier, and then finally went ranger. Didn't die much as ranger, so maybe that's why I didn't notice it

Trouble is, loading up dark souls is just going to remind me how good ds2 is. Tits.

• quadfather 27 Oct 2013 11:12:21 12,129 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Same here. Definitely starting one* of those I think.

*Read - 50.

• EMarkM 27 Oct 2013 11:23:08 3,174 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    OK, stats update for those who've been helping me, and anyone else who's interested:-

Lev: 27
    Vit: 14
    Att: 11
    End: 18
    Str: 13
    Dex: 18
    Res: 10
    Int: 12
    Fai: 12

BSS +5
    Longbow +5
    Knight Shield +5
    Talisman (still have no magic, nor any clue how to get/use it)
    Gargoyle Helm +2
    Hollow Soldier Armour
    Black Leather Gloves
    Balder Leggings
    Wolf Ring (yay me :) )

Lit the bonfire down in Darkroot Basin now (the one near the elevator) but still not finding any Humanity ANYWHERE (!) to kindle it.

How am I doing?
  • quadfather 27 Oct 2013 11:29:41 12,129 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Stats look much better now. If you're happy with the amount of health you have and not dying that much, then you can focus on dex (up to 40 is fine)

Have you leveled int and faith? As you now have over 10 int, you might as well get some buffs to apply to your weapon (Magic Weapon and Great Magic weapon for starters). They're useful for hard monsters and greatly speed up boss fights. You might as well get a couple of miracles too, as you've got over 10 faith.

To get magic, start at firelink, go down the steps into new londo ruins, and go to the right where there's some stairs going down - you'll meet the magic merchant who can sell you some spells. Later on, you'll unlock someone else who will then appear and stay at firelink who can sell you stuff too. You need to equip a catalyst to cast magic. Same applies with miracles, it's just you need to get them off that fat chap who's at firelink from the start, and use a talisman instead of a catalyst.

bss +5 is good - keep upgrading that if you're going for the +15 route + buffs on it

Bow is pretty good too

If you want humanity, you need to a) kill bosses, and b) farm rats. The best place to farm rats is in the depths. So you need to defeat the boss of the lower undead burg to get the key to the depths.

Or you could piss about in the forest near where you are to farm souls/general exploration

Plenty of work to do :)

• quadfather 27 Oct 2013 11:30:51 12,129 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Can't remember if you get humanity from helping others kill bosses in their game - I don't do much co-op

• ZuluHero 27 Oct 2013 11:32:28 4,145 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Me too. I'm hating this feeling of the memory of the last few hours fading. That sucks!
    Watch out! You're going hollow! ;)
  • quadfather 27 Oct 2013 11:36:13 12,129 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    haha

Oo, I might check youtube to see if anyone recorded their run through. I thought about it, but overslept a bit as it is, so couldn't waste anymore precious dark souls 2 time pissing about with a camera :)

• Deleted user 27 October 2013 11:38:56
    @quadfather pretty sure killing bosses gets humanity. Could be wrong though.
  • SomaticSense 27 Oct 2013 11:47:09 8,295 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    haha

Oo, I might check youtube to see if anyone recorded their run through. I thought about it, but overslept a bit as it is, so couldn't waste anymore precious dark souls 2 time pissing about with a camera :)
    Be quick about it. Bamco put a block on video uploads for beta participants. Not sure if they've acted on it yet though.
  • the_dudefather 27 Oct 2013 11:50:45 9,288 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My character is probobly a mess in regards to stats (still playing first char that I started the game when it came out)

Lv 71
    Vit 22
    Att 14
    End 24
    Str 33
    Dex 22
    Res 13
    Int 18
    Faith 8

Mostly using lightning spear +4 and spider shield+8, using Havel armour , ring of steel protection and Havel's ring

Think I'm done with anor londo for now, restored fire link keeper and on my way to catacombs

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• quadfather 27 Oct 2013 11:53:25 12,129 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    haha

Be quick about it. Bamco put a block on video uploads for beta participants. Not sure if they've acted on it yet though.
    There's one by a chap called Ooroboro. Or something like that. It was posted a week ago, so assume it's from the first beta.

Unfortunately, I've had to stop watching as I can't stand the sound of the guys voice

• EMarkM 27 Oct 2013 12:03:24 3,174 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather Cheers Quad, seems like I'm on the right track now, but more importantly I'm REALLY starting to enjoy it :)

Did I read somewhere that farming rats for Humanity only works after a certain point in the game?
  • ZuluHero 27 Oct 2013 12:06:17 4,145 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nah you can do it pretty much all the way through - whenever I got stuck it was back to rat farming - also dung buying :)
  • quadfather 27 Oct 2013 12:40:35 12,129 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    EMarkM wrote:
    @quadfather Cheers Quad, seems like I'm on the right track now, but more importantly I'm REALLY starting to enjoy it :)

Did I read somewhere that farming rats for Humanity only works after a certain point in the game?
    Sounds like you're well and truly addicted. Jolly good. You're just as bad as us lot now :)

Yeah as Zulu says, you can farm whenever you want, assuming the depths is accessible that is. Have you, er, ever encountered the boss of the lower undead burg?

• Deleted user 27 October 2013 13:23:06
    I shudder to think how many hours I've spent rat farming. Made all the more tolerable with the gold serpent ring though!!
  • quadfather 27 Oct 2013 13:33:29 12,129 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I just put headphones on with some chilled out music on and get into a trance. Doesn't take that long to get a stack

• DodgyPast 27 Oct 2013 16:06:32 8,468 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Farming the forest guys didn't start well but it's good practice.
  • Dr_Mech 27 Oct 2013 17:08:01 1,024 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    I see every fucker has a BSS nowadays then :)

Yeah, that's Havel, the one shot king
    Quaddy I suggest you listen to a Podcast called Bonfireside chat, its a Dark/Demon's souls podcast and one of the guys on there suffers the same curse with the BSS as you.

And the other host takes the piss out of him (as do most of the guests) for it, so you should feel right at home listening to it :).

Edited by Dr_Mech at 17:08:57 27-10-2013
  • Dr_Mech 27 Oct 2013 17:27:37 1,024 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    the_dudefather wrote:
    My character is probobly a mess in regards to stats (still playing first char that I started the game when it came out)

Lv 71
    Vit 22
    Att 14
    End 24
    Str 33
    Dex 22
    Res 13
    Int 18
    Faith 8

Mostly using lightning spear +4 and spider shield+8, using Havel armour , ring of steel protection and Havel's ring

Think I'm done with anor londo for now, restored fire link keeper and on my way to catacombs
    There's something on the Bonfireside Chat podcast that was said which seems to apply to pretty much everyone. Nobody makes their first character with a specific build in mind, they all tend to be generalists, a bit of dex, a bit of strength and either Int or Faith. This is good though since it means you can pretty much use all but the more extreme of the strength weapons (all but two of which are kind of pants) and get a decent hit with a dex weapon.

Plugging your stats into stats builder you'd be better off using something more quality buildy than an elemental weapon, your damage will be lower initially but keep boosting both Dex and Str to 40 and they will far outdamage your elemental spear (also a boss fight later in the game really hits hard since they have high lightning resistance).

Personal recommendations, Gargoyle's Halberd and Zweihander, if you prefer a smaller weapon something like the Longsword might be good (its the Balder Side Sword for Quality builds).
  • onestepfromlost 27 Oct 2013 17:31:25 2,063 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bah been reading this thread and it's tempting me to go back and try a new build other than my usual turtle spear mage.
  • quadfather 27 Oct 2013 17:32:44 12,129 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dr_Mech wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    I see every fucker has a BSS nowadays then :)

Yeah, that's Havel, the one shot king
    Quaddy I suggest you listen to a Podcast called Bonfireside chat, its a Dark/Demon's souls podcast and one of the guys on there suffers the same curse with the BSS as you.

And the other host takes the piss out of him (as do most of the guests) for it, so you should feel right at home listening to it :).
    Hah I shall check it out. Did you get to play ds2?

• Dr_Mech 27 Oct 2013 17:34:39 1,024 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sadly nope, Xbox user so no Ds2 beta for me *sadface*
  • quadfather 27 Oct 2013 17:47:25 12,129 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well never mind, its looking really good so hopefully its all good news for everyone

• Deleted user 27 October 2013 18:32:35
    Can't stop thinking about dark souls again now I've started playing it after some time away. This is ridiculous. All I've been doing in my head all day is fighting the four kings. In the park with the wee man and I'm playing a game in my head.

Aaaaargh it's started again.
  • Deleted user 27 October 2013 20:27:39
    @Dr_Mech Live not letting me send messages for some reason :-S

Nailed them :-D

Third attempt. Iron flesh and stone set with crest shield, large club +14 and charcoal resin. Didn't even see a fourth king...

Well done knuckle you useless barbarian. Your reward is to spend the rest of your days invading in blighttown and new Londo :-)
  • Page

of 1201 First / Last