of 1205 First / Last

• Mola_Ram 25 Oct 2013 08:40:42 7,456 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    8 minutes in. Just laughing to myself out loud

Why on earth does he keep using the spider shield as long as he does? He's just asking to be staggered! :D
    Thought the same. And though the same about the armour. I kept moving my head in the vain effort that it would make him roll away too instead of standing there like a lemon!
    He doesn't appear to be learning a whole lot. Protip: chugging a flask is not a good idea when you're right next to a boss.
  • quadfather 25 Oct 2013 08:48:38 12,303 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yup. I forsaw all those estus deaths :)

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• EMarkM 25 Oct 2013 09:17:51 3,174 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    OK, just got one humanity, reversed hollowing and immediately died again :) Cloaked knight on the stairs got me this time: total mistake on my part of course.

My character:-

Covenant: Way of White
    Level: 21
    Vitality: 14
    Attunement: 11
    Endurance: 14
    Strength: 13
    Dexterity: 16
    Resistance: 10
    Intelligence: 12
    Faith: 12

Shortsword +3
    Short bow +5
    Estus Flask +2
    Knight shield +3
    Mostly Hollow Soldier armour
  • Deleted user 25 October 2013 09:21:04
    @Dr_Mech nice. It'll be an infested rot-fest!!
  • quadfather 25 Oct 2013 09:25:20 12,303 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    EMarkM wrote:
    OK, just got one humanity, reversed hollowing and immediately died again :) Cloaked knight on the stairs got me this time: total mistake on my part of course.

My character:-

Covenant: Way of White
    Level: 21
    Vitality: 14
    Attunement: 11
    Endurance: 14
    Strength: 13
    Dexterity: 16
    Resistance: 10
    Intelligence: 12
    Faith: 12

Shortsword +3
    Short bow +5
    Estus Flask +2
    Knight shield +3
    Mostly Hollow Soldier armour
    First thing that sticks out for me here is a) Endurance on 14. I'd raise that. And b) Shortsword +3. I'd swap that out with something a bit better

Cloaked knight on the stairs? Are you in the Undead Parish then?

• EMarkM 25 Oct 2013 09:33:07 3,174 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather Yep; my "home" bonfire is the one above the blacksmith.

My general approach has been to do a tour of the walls, killing as many low-level nasties as possible until I eventually obtain a humanity, run back to my bonfire, reverse hollowing and then get up to the gargoyles.

Only had one go this morning so far (got to go out for a bit in a minute), but the guy on the stairs just got me because I fumbled the controls.

I've been away from the game for some months, so I'm just warming up.

Good advice on Endurance; will boost that stat on the next few level-ups.

My primary weapon is my bow, really, but the sword has been doing OK.

I think I've got the sword you grab from the enemy* on the castle walls, but I'm not sure I have the stats to use it.

*Typing on phone so trying to be careful with spoilers. I think you'll figure out which one I mean.
  • Deleted user 25 October 2013 09:35:59
    @EMarkM

you can also get humanity by laying down your white soapstone and helping with the gargoyle fight (this works hollow and without beating the area boss yourself).

Might be worth considering rather than 'grinding' enemies for humanity maybe?
  • quadfather 25 Oct 2013 09:37:59 12,303 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @EMarkM - okey dokey.

So you run across the bridge, kill the two sword guys and their mate on the right with the crossbow, and then either go inside the parish and do the guys on the left and then go out the front and left and end up doing a full circle back to where you killed the 2 sword guys and their mate? That kinda thing?

Not sure on the sword you're on about. Do you mean the Balder Side Sword?

And your main weapon is the bow? Are you ok taking out all of the above with just a bow?

• Deleted user 25 October 2013 09:46:19
    I second the white soapstone gargoyle grinding method. Quickest and most fun way to grind around that area.
  • EMarkM 25 Oct 2013 09:52:21 3,174 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    To Irons and Bill - hadn't got a clue you could do that, so I might give it a go. This would be to get more Humanity rather than to actual beating the gargoyles in my own game world, right?

To Quad - just checked a walkthrough; it's the Drakesword I mean. I think I got it, and I think I stashed it as I couldn't use it at the time. Can't remember now.

Popping out for a few minutes, but will report back later :)

Thanks guys.

Edited by EMarkM at 09:52:49 25-10-2013
  • quadfather 25 Oct 2013 09:58:44 12,303 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ah right, with you. Yeah, suppose you could use that. I don't normally recommend that weapon as people get used to it's high power and tend to stick with it. But they stick with it for too long and soon, other 'normal' weapons will out-damage it when upgraded.

Still, might as well use it if you're putting points in the stats that it needs anyway. I'd be cautious about upgrading to use it, just to use it, if you see what I mean. Could be wasting points.

I forgot about the soapstone idea too :) Yes, it'll help the other player out. Gives you good practice too for when you have to do it in your world.

• Deleted user 25 October 2013 10:00:43
    @EMarkM

Yeah, you get Humanity/souls only - the boss will still be alive in your world though.

The added bonus is that you will gain some experience of a boss fight if you use this method if you're unsure of the tactics or lacking humanity to summon NPCs/sunbros etc.
  • Deleted user 25 October 2013 10:05:00
    There's something really satisfying about helping others kill the gargoyles then returning to your own world and hearing the bell ring...
  • quadfather 25 Oct 2013 10:08:34 12,303 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    and then falling off a ledge to your doom.

• EMarkM 25 Oct 2013 14:07:34 3,174 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, I've had another half hour at it.

Yes, just doing the rounds near the Cathedral really, beating stuff up. Not found a single new Humanity yet since this morning, but did manage to get enough souls to level up (twice in one go) and put both points in Endurance as advised.

When I say my bow is my main weapon, I should clarify that I have been trying to build a stealth/archer type character, as I do with all RPGs. I was using the bow pretty well in the earlier bits of the game, but the baddies I'm currently dealing with seem to be better had with the sword/shield combo.

I have a few other swords in my box. The aforementioned, plus an Estoc, a Zweihander, several long swords and a thief's dagger (or bandit's dagger, something like that). I also have halberds and perhaps some sort of mace or hammer, not sure.

Tried putting my white stone down near the door to the gargoyles, but nothing seemed to happen. Am I doing it correctly?
  • Deleted user 25 October 2013 14:38:57
    @EMarkM I would plug stats into dex as well though. My first char was a wanderer and I went high dex, composite bow (later black bow of pharis) and great scythe and was unstoppable for the whole first 2 run throughs. You can't rely on just a bow, you need a good melee weapon as well. There's a certain annoying merchant that you've probably already met you can furnish you with a very nice weapon... You want a weapon that scales highly with dexterity (someone else here will be able to give you far better advice though).

Put your white stone marker down at that bit as you emerge from the bonfire area (go along the walkway) above the blacksmith, right where the side entrance to the cathedral is, where the archer and the two shield bearing hollow soldiers are. You should get summoned sooner or later.
  • quadfather 25 Oct 2013 14:46:09 12,303 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I know it sounds stupid, but you are playing online yes?

• EMarkM 25 Oct 2013 14:49:59 3,174 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather Heh. Yeah! When I said "playing offline so deaths down to buffoonery" earlier, I didn't mean that the PS3 was literally offline; just that I hadn't suffered at the hands of real life Invaders.

Only left the white stone down for a couple of minutes, and right outside the gargoyle door, so will try for longer and in the courtyard outside the Cathedral next time.
  • quadfather 25 Oct 2013 14:52:58 12,303 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just checking, because I make that mistake quite a lot :)

• Deleted user 25 October 2013 15:01:05
    @EMarkM yeah plop it down and you can still piss about killing bad bastards while you wait to be summoned.
  • Dr_Mech 25 Oct 2013 15:11:51 1,040 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @EMarkM

Yeah the popular location for a summoning sign is the door into the cathedral that is right by the pathway leading down into the Blacksmith area, the area that has two sword and shield hollows and one crossbow hollow.
  • Deleted user 25 October 2013 15:26:53
    Question. If I kill the four pickles, speak to kaathe and join his covenant. Can I get out and back to him again without the Lordvessel?
  • quadfather 25 Oct 2013 15:43:59 12,303 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'd have thought so

• Dr_Mech 25 Oct 2013 15:44:15 1,040 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah the Abyss bonfire always allows you to warp out, even if you don't have the Lordvessels, tis the only bonfire to do this for obvious reasons.

Know this since I have at least two characters, my infested barbarian build and my GiantDad build that have beaten the Four Kings before the lord vessel (infact the GiantDad build beat them as its second boss after Sif, hooray for +5 fire weapons and the Stone armour set!).

You even get special dialogue from Kaathe telling you to rings the bells/go get the lordvessel if you do.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 15:45:31 25-10-2013
  • Deleted user 25 October 2013 15:54:34
    Cool. That's why I'm trying to kill sif with my useless club wielding knucklehead
  • TheCrane 25 Oct 2013 15:55:13 100 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    If you want to be summoned, try not to level up too much!
  • EMarkM 25 Oct 2013 19:44:53 3,174 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @TheCrane Understood. Thanks everyone :) Getting back into it a bit more now. Dragon's Dogma took a few goes before it clicked with me, and that ended up being my personal game of the year.
  • DodgyPast 25 Oct 2013 20:01:17 8,479 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Trick is with the gargoyles is try and kill the first one as quickly as possible. Then you can take out the second quite leisurely.

With the butterfly down blight town beckons. But I'd quite like to fiddle with my build and add one or two miracles.

Grinding the 20k souls in the depths. That I can use to open up the foresters for grinding.

Can anyone recommend a couple of nice miracles that would be worth raising attunement and faith for. A buff for the sword would be nice. Currently have heal and fire orb as my current 2.

I'm using a +10 Balderside Sword and a +5 hollow shield at the moment.

Edited by DodgyPast at 20:03:38 25-10-2013
  • Deleted user 25 October 2013 21:27:21
    Any tips for a thief/assassin build?
  • Dr_Mech 26 Oct 2013 00:30:06 1,040 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Phew, managed to take out Four Kings as a Soul Level 1 while only beating the following four bosses before taking them on using a fully upgraded Pyromancy glove, a +5 Fire reinforced club and the Stone armour set.

1) Sif: For the ring and first true boss I killed (not including Asylum demon in this) used +5 Fire Club.
    2) Capra: Gain access to Pyromancy trainer in the depths and thus Quelana in Blighttown.
    3) Gaping Dragon: Easy source of Souls.
    4) Pinwheel: Rite of Kindling to boost bonfire to 20 estus flasks.

Considering I ran out of Pyromancies on the third King (as in I had none when he spawned), not too shabby if I say so myself.

This was more of a trial run to see how early I could take them on and will grow into a low level griefer PvP build once I beat O&S.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 00:30:53 26-10-2013
  • Page

of 1205 First / Last